Sign in to follow this  
Voidworm

ArmA 2 on PlayStation 3

I have no doubts that Bohemia will do a great console version of ArmA 2. The only thing I am worried about is that they won't support the PS3 and in doing so they will be dropping a block on a large market. A market which, like their PC market, thrives on games with technical features like modding, open network, keyboard and mouse support, and large immersive combat experiences.

i too get the distinct impression that ps3 gamers would probably be better suited to a simulation like A2 than the average 360 gamer.

i did, however, happen to read a quote in this month's Edge regarding tool development for PS3, something along the lines of "if you ask any inhouse or external dev team, they'll tell you that, like it's predecessor, the PS3 is a different beast to any other platform".

I get the feeling that if BI are developing the game essentially to run alongside microsoft software, their choice of console is a foregone conclusion  confused_o.gif

i too get the distinct impression that ps3 gamers would probably be better suited to a simulation like A2 than the average 360 gamer.

Indeed, the player base and the PlayStation 3 itself make for a very simulation-friendly venue. The PlayStation player base has always been very big on deep technical games with robust features, and the PlayStation 3 is a very open ended system both in terms of hardware and software. ArmA 2 would almost certainly develop a hardcore following on PS3 due to this situation.

I get the feeling that if BI are developing the game essentially to run alongside microsoft software, their choice of console is a foregone conclusion  confused_o.gif

Aye, I fear the same, and it's quite an unfortunate situation not just for PS3 gamers but for Bohemia as well. The 360 already has a vast surplus of military games which would simply steal ArmA 2's thunder and lower it's acceptance rate. On the other hand, the only non-ported military games that the PS3 has are basically Call of Duty and Socom.

Oh yeah, and Operation Flashpoint 2 is guaranteed to come out on PS3. Personally, I'm a little more excited for ArmA 2 but if I can't play it on PS3 I guess my only option is to go with Operation Flashpoint 2 instead. You hear that, Bohemia?

I hope and pray to God that they would make this game available on the PS3 and they should to push their profit and market margins to the extreme. I’ve heard that programming on the PS3 is not as easy as it is on the 360 due to openGL and the Kernel? (I stand corrected) but if it will take them extra time/effort to develop on the PS3 then I wouldn’t mind paying extra for the PS3 version, I’m sure most of you wouldn’t for such large scale game like that? They can also make more money by allowing user mod on the PS3 version since I heard gamers were able to do it with UT3, make a downloadable mouse/keyboard patch for users to buy if they opt to use such devices instead of the analog stick and many more.

I hope and pray to God  that they would make this game available on the PS3 and they should to push their profit and market margins to the extreme. I’ve heard that programming on the PS3 is not as easy as it is on the 360 due to openGL and the Kernel? (I stand corrected) but if it will take them extra time/effort to develop on the PS3 then I wouldn’t mind paying extra for the PS3 version, I’m sure most of you wouldn’t for such large scale game like that? They can also make more money by allowing user mod on the PS3 version since I heard gamers were able to do it with UT3, make a downloadable mouse/keyboard patch for users to buy if they opt to use such devices instead of the analog stick and many more.

If Bohemia were to actually develop ArmA 2 for the PlayStation 3 it would be unnecessary and unfair for them to charge extra for the PS3 version just because they had to do some porting and additional coding.

They also wouldn't have much luck charging for user created mods or patches due to the legal issues and negative backlash that would create.

Bohemia would make their money on the PS3 if they would release a version of ArmA 2 that took advantage of the PS3's capabilities. Things like PC mod compatibility, keyboard & mouse support, and PSN server support for large numbers of players are all huge selling points for any PS3 game. If Bohemia could take all of those features and employ them in ArmA 2 for the PS3, they would effectively be creating the world's first perfect port from PC to console. That's a premise that a lot of PS3 users and the gaming public in general would be very interested in.

I'd rather buy it on the PS3, but if it's only available on 360, at least I can play it.

I'd rather build my own PC than buying another MS broken product.

I hope and pray to God  that they would make this game available on the PS3 and they should to push their profit and market margins to the extreme. I’ve heard that programming on the PS3 is not as easy as it is on the 360 due to openGL and the Kernel? (I stand corrected) but if it will take them extra time/effort to develop on the PS3 then I wouldn’t mind paying extra for the PS3 version, I’m sure most of you wouldn’t for such large scale game like that? They can also make more money by allowing user mod on the PS3 version since I heard gamers were able to do it with UT3, make a downloadable mouse/keyboard patch for users to buy if they opt to use such devices instead of the analog stick and many more.

If Bohemia were to actually develop ArmA 2 for the PlayStation 3 it would be unnecessary and unfair for them to charge extra for the PS3 version just because they had to do some porting and additional coding.

They also wouldn't have much luck charging for user created mods or patches due to the legal issues and negative backlash that would create.

Bohemia would make their money on the PS3 if they would release a version of ArmA 2 that took advantage of the PS3's capabilities. Things like PC mod compatibility, keyboard & mouse support, and PSN server support for large numbers of players are all huge selling points for any PS3 game. If Bohemia could take all of those features and employ them in ArmA 2 for the PS3, they would effectively be creating the world's first perfect port from PC to console. That's a premise that a lot of PS3 users and the gaming public in general would be very interested in.

Sony should make a move on this, yes it is only a game but i would imagine people with PS3 buying Xbox360 just for this game, and that is not good for Sony, more games sales for XBOX360 more developers ignoring the PS3. That's why i suggested paying extra for the game since it would be their first time doing it on the PS3.

I'd rather buy it on the PS3, but if it's only available on 360, at least I can play it.

And run Linux i suppose:)

(running Windows would be hypocrite, wouldn't it)

And run Linux i suppose:)

(running Windows would be hypocrite, wouldn't it)

I totally agree with you but you know very well that I don’t have a choice but to install Windows to play this game, unless they will have the game on Linux! I’m currently running Linux OpenSuse on my PS3 and rarely use my laptop (vista).

I really find it hard that a game this complex will be easily played on xbox or Play Station.

I really find it hard that a game this complex will be easily played on xbox or Play Station.

Hey Jakfox,

PS3 can produce stunning graphics, see SOCOM:CONFRONTATION and KILL ZONE 2, UNCHARTED all for $300.00 console as opposed to $1000-1,500.00 for a PC, as far as complexity I think it boils down to lack of keyboard/mouse on the PS3, although few games were developed supporting mouse/keyboard. As I was reading through this post, for example unreal tournament 3 on the PS3 supports user mod and keyboard/mouse. I used to PC game way back but new games kept the urge to change my hardware every now and then, plus video card compatibility with games issues, extra settings you have to play with and never mind the crashes and freezes that happened often. I’m thinking of building a PC just for this game if it doesn’t go PS3. Would you be able to help me with chipsets?

Erm...Ive built my own PC for xmas so I could be of some small help. Your better off with someone else though!

Anyway, back on topic. The only real reason im hanging onto my PS3 is because of ArmA2. I will definatly be buying it for PC and PS3 if I can. Like someone said earlier, if it doesn't come out for PS3 I'll be forced to buy the next best thing: OFP2...think about it BIS...more PROFIT...POPULARITY...REPEAT SALES...it all makes sense...I can point out the benefits, but its up to YOU to decide. wink_o.gifwink_o.gif

Hey Jakfox,

PS3 can produce stunning graphics, see SOCOM:CONFRONTATION and KILL ZONE 2, UNCHARTED all for $300.00 console as opposed to $1000-1,500.00 for a PC, as far as complexity I think it boils down to lack of keyboard/mouse on the PS3, although few games were developed supporting mouse/keyboard. As I was reading through this post, for example unreal tournament 3 on the PS3 supports user mod and keyboard/mouse. I used to PC game way back but new games kept the urge to change my hardware every now and then, plus video card compatibility with games issues, extra settings you have to play with and never mind the crashes and freezes that happened often. I’m thinking of building a PC just for this game if it doesn’t go PS3. Would you be able to help me with chipsets?

noth of games have something in common. Fixed texture size, and they are more of 'indoor' games with no really huge maps. they might do very strong stuff, but to think that BIS will be able to crank up as much as Guerilla did with more than 17 million dollar budget. To break up the limitating GPU, they had to relay on PS3's CPU and switch everything on that.

But you also forget one thing, killzone 2 is all hot and all, but suffers from 'area loading' and MGS4 has same issue, but it's even worse in there.

Loading happends because of engine/hardware limitation.

Hey Jakfox,

noth of games have something in common. Fixed texture size, and they are more of 'indoor' games with no really huge maps. they might do very strong stuff, but to think that BIS will be able to crank up as much as Guerilla did with more than 17 million dollar budget. To break up the limitating GPU, they had to relay on PS3's CPU and switch everything on that.

But you also forget one thing, killzone 2 is all hot and all, but suffers from 'area loading' and MGS4 has same issue, but it's even worse in there.

Have you heard of M.A.G "Massive Action Game" by Zipper, if no then google it? It is supposed to be 256 Multiplayer. You sound like a smart guy so maybe you can help me pick affordable/good chipset.

Hey Jakfox,

Have you heard of M.A.G "Massive Action Game" by Zipper, if no then google it? It is supposed to be 256 Multiplayer. You sound like a smart guy so maybe you can help me pick affordable/good chipset.

Well I heard about MAG, and what they have been saying is just a promise. I also can promise you to make a SAG (Super action game) with 1000 players in real-time. But that's something we'll see.

EDIT:: By the look of it, they have seem developed certain server architecture that will shuffle all of needed data.

and from the screenshot, graphically it will look as good as Quake wars, which is ofcourse logical.

Hey Jakfox,

Well I heard about MAG, and what they have been saying is just a promise. I also can promise you to make a SAG (Super action game) with 1000 players in real-time. But that's something we'll see.

EDIT:: By the look of it, they have seem developed certain server architecture that will shuffle all of needed data.

and from the screenshot, graphically it will look as good as Quake wars, which is ofcourse logical.

I found this online:

I guess because of the last minute change Sony made about the GPU “7800GTX GPU†which it wasn’t designed for console GPU and has compromised the architecture of the console.

I found the above to be a little bias, how can you say the above when you have games that negate the above, such as Kill Zone 2, Uncharted, Socom, warhawk, COD4. So what if you needed to rely on the cell processor every now and then “eight so called synergistic cores (SPEs)†to help the GPU. If other developers managed to put such games then it shouldn’t be that hard for others to do!

The Playstation 3 has 256mb of GDDR3 at 700mhz and 256Mb of XDR at 3.2ghz. So what exactly is XDR ram? Here are some of the highlights:

XDR makes PS3 super effiecient

XDR aids in faster cache mapping, both direct and indirect

XDR ram works by a pointer to pointer technology and needs very small buswidth for execution

XDR is not just faster than GDDR3 but it is much more efficient

XDR RAM works by breaking down data into several packets which prevents data loss and exceptions

A lot of people are saying that the RSX only has 256mb of RAM, whereas the 360’s GPU has 512MB of RAM. To make it sound a bit simpler, here’s the real deal. The PS3 has it’s RAM in two separate parts, 256MB for the RSX and 256MB that can be used be either the Cell or RSX.

I’m no a computer geek by any means but reading few online articles, yes there is extra code/effort needed when coding PS3 games due to its architecture and the fact that not all available RAM is on the GPU (I stand corrected). However, it looks like other developers proved the above to be a breeze.

You do remember that OFP2 will be on PS3 which will be full open world, same as Arma2.

There are plenty of "outdoor" open world games, GTA4, Saints Row2, Infamous, Prototype, Mercs2, I could go on and on. Certainly not military sims, but they're not bad looking.

Well, I think that the grafics arent the problem, but the AI and many other calculations in ArmA is.

In games like GTA, SR2 etc. the Ai of a civil etc. isnt calculated all the time, when it is out of the sight, the engine delete the easy AI, so if you return to the same place a while later, it would look totaly diferent. But in ArmA the Ai must be calculated all the time.

And that is maybe the problem, the PS3 is a voodooo for many developers and implent a fully functional AI system etc. would be dificult. It would take many time, money and a skilled team of people, who kow how to work with the PS3 HW.

And there might be many more isues.

Sorry, my english is bad...

You do remember that OFP2 will be on PS3 which will be full open world, same as Arma2.

There are plenty of "outdoor" open world games, GTA4, Saints Row2, Infamous, Prototype, Mercs2, I could go on and on.  Certainly not military sims, but they're not bad looking.

making a game open world, there's tons of optimizations working to make it happen. DIfference between those games and Arma 2 is, they are caching on two complete different platforms. Arma 2 is heavy DirectX9.0 dependant, while other games are using OpenGL

The only way to make Arma 2 works on PS3 as withDirectX, is to rebuild the system from scratch with OpenGL, which is PS3 used platform and In my experience very different in terms of coding and optimizations. (or if BIS has a PS3 team to port the engine for PS3, then it's highly possible that Arma 2 is going to be released on PS3, meanwhile, I stand as I do)

Be it how strong the hardware is, it's all down to developer to know how to use it.

There are plenty of "outdoor" open world games, GTA4, Saints Row2, Infamous, Prototype, Mercs2, I could go on and on. Certainly not military sims, but they're not bad looking.

at least OFP 2 team has multiplatform NEON engine to work with. and we haven't seen it in action yet whistle.gif

Well, I think that the grafics arent the problem, but the AI and many other calculations in ArmA is.

In games like GTA, SR2 etc. the Ai of a civil etc. isnt calculated all the time, when it is out of the sight, the engine delete the easy AI, so if you return to the same place a while later, it would look totaly diferent. But in ArmA the Ai must be calculated all the time.

And that is maybe the problem, the PS3 is a voodooo for many developers and implent a fully functional AI system etc. would be dificult. It would take many time, money and a skilled team of people, who kow how to work with the PS3 HW.

And there might be many more isues.

Sorry, my english is bad...

Go to youtube and search under Warhawk, that game used multithreading and took advantage of seven cores. Since PS3 has cell processor "eight cores" i don't see a problem with intense AI/calculation. But you're right it boils down to how far would the developers push the envelope.

Hmm, it seems like a futuristic version of Crimson skyes. But from the screens, videos and the concept we cant compare that to a warfare simulator. Because simulators can have bad grafics, but still they will need a beter HW, than a "nicer" arcade game.

And I dont think if it is at place to think of the Cell Procesor, like if it was a eqvivalent of the PC core, because of the totaly diferent archytecture. So 8 Pc cores isnt the same, like 8 PS3 cores.

Hmm, it seems like a futuristic version of Crimson skyes. But from the screens, videos and the concept we cant compare that to a warfare simulator. Because simulators can have bad grafics, but still they will need a beter HW, than a "nicer" arcade game.

And I dont think if it is at place to think of the Cell Procesor, like if it was a eqvivalent of the PC core, because of the totaly diferent archytecture. So 8 Pc cores isnt the same, like 8 PS3 cores.

Wait until developers utilize the full potential of the PS3 banghead.gif . Right now, whatever game you can make on the xbox360 can be made on the PS3 as well “tip of the iceberg for the ps3â€. When M.A.G “massive action game†comes out on the PS3 pistols.gif , people then would see how the PS3 has more potential than the XBOX360 and can actually compete with the PC.

off topic rant on:

When the devs are ready to use the full potential of the PS3...the new Xbox will be out and beat their system - again. The PS3 is too complicated to handle for most developers and that's why still most 360 games look better and run smoother than the same games on the PS3.

off topic rant off... wink_o.gif

Grim

Quote[/b] ]When M.A.G “massive action game†comes out on the PS3 pistols.gif , people then would see how the PS3 has more potential than the XBOX360 and can actually compete with the PC.

HAHAHAHA biggrin_o.gif When this "MAG" (gaaawd, what a stupid name for a game) of yours comes out, PS3 will be three, four years old. That is freaking FOREVER in computer technology with transistor counts doubling ever two years (Moore's law) and whatnot. And PS3 wasn't even shit hot to begin with, compared to high end PCs of the time.

Simply put, if MAG was made for PC it would definitely be at least two times better, perhaps even four wow_o.gif