Sign in to follow this  
da12thMonkey

Project: UK Forces

So large an update it wont fit on our front page and we had to split it into 2 posts to post all the images here (although, we still had to link to a couple). biggrin_o.gif

Mmmmm pretty!

I really cant wait to play with some British kit at last! biggrin_o.gif

Wow, fantastic news update, the Challenger 2 looks nice smile_o.gif

Thank you for the update. Models look top notch and the textures look pretty good even without all their bells and whistles.

The MAN trucks came as a surprise to me. I never knew they were being used by the Army.

The MAN trucks came as a surprise to me. I never knew they were being used by the Army.

As mentioned in the news post, they're very new and are only just appearing within units.

The MoD ordered around 7,000 of them to replace most of the existing trucks in service including the DAF and Bedford utility trucks and Foden recovery vehicles. There are still loads stored at Aschurch awaiting delivery but you'll probably see them on the roads already, and heading into theatre soon.

Models look top notch and the textures look pretty good even without all their bells and whistles.

The models, and I guess I'm a little biased here of course, are some of the best any of us have ever produced, and we're rather proud of them. Practice makes perfect (well, better I think is more suitable term).

Unfortunately the lack of normal and specular map is a little obvious on a few of the addons (And the GPMG and LMG demonstrate how powerful they can be in making things look nice).

As everything else, they take time to make and adjust, but I'm currently rattling my way through the last of the Land Rover normals, so all being well, they'll be applied to the EWMIK which will be shown in the next new post. They make a huge difference.

thanks for the kind words gents.

Absolutely awesome! Excellent work

Can't wait to play with a working British Army inlove.gif

As mentioned in the news post, they're very new and are only just appearing within units.

The MoD ordered around 7,000 of them to replace most of the existing trucks in service including the DAF and Bedford utility trucks and Foden recovery vehicles. There are still loads stored at Aschurch awaiting delivery but you'll probably see them on the roads already, and heading into theatre soon.

Not too long ago I noticed more than I'd seen in the open than usual driving past. Didn't see any Pinzgauers or Scimitars this time though sad_o.gif

The place seemed to have some mobile bridges about the place too?

would make sense, showing off their new TITAN I suspect.

Outstanding job UKF.  In one of your images depicting the MAN trucks, it appears that the recovery variant is towing a FV432.  Is this assumption correct?

It's a great update, and like others have already said, there's some superb lookng models. Actually it all looks very professional. thumbs-up.gif

When i was getting closer to the bottom of the post i was licking my lips for screens of your soldier models. Maybe in the next update eh guys, eh. notworthy.gif

@ June 14 2008,19:22)]Outstanding job UKF. In one of your images depicting the MAN trucks, it appears that the recovery variant is towing a FV432. Is this assumption correct?

You're correct in that it appears to be towing it, but emphasis on 'appears'. I just places the 432 backwards behind the Recovery truck for the sake of a vaguely more interesting screen shot. Apologies if I got your hopes up.

Mr. Reality - We'll show the new infantry when they're ready, but there's a lot of work going into them, so it wouldn't be right to show them half finished. At any rate, the next news post already has a nice line up ready.

At any rate, the next news post already has a nice line up ready.

You mean there's more!!!!. This just keeps getting better.

Yup, we've alot lined up that isnt in an ingame state atm, that will probably shown in our next news post. Hence why we're looking for a couple of new team members to help us with getting stuff finished.

Yum!

Will the next update also include infantry? Please?

As you can imagine, with all these other projects on the go - the results of which you're starting to see now (myself, I've been working on the Chally 2 and SA80 family of weapons, plus some stuff that will be shown in the next update) - it's been hard for myself to get the time to work on the new Soldier pack. I've some new stuff done, when ArmA came out I semi imported DPM2 pack from OFP with the intention of finishing it. I stripped a BIS model, remodelled the torso to be a smock, and whacked the helmet and webbing types on as a stand in for VOLCBAT, and you saw these soldiers in the last update.

However, I was never particually happy with the (low) quality of these units, and decided to redo them 100% from scratch. I began work on a new infantry pack soon after, before getting sucked into working on the challenger, the Sa80s, and a couple of other projects, almost flat out for 2 - 3 months. I am in two minds whether to release them as is - they've many many things wrong with them, and i'd not be fixing them up, however.

On the other hand, I can't be bothered with 101 people telling me about bugs I know inside out and don't have any intention to fix. smile_o.gif These are the models that can be seen on page 1 of this thread, or in plenty of ingame shots on the VOLCBAT website.

At some point, when I get more time, more work will go into the new (and as of yet, unseen) infantry pack. As someone who is particually passionate about infantry warfare, and who has a vested interest in seeing the British Army personnel accurately represented, believe me, it's high on my list of priorities. However, bare in mind that theres only ("only") 5 active addon makers within UKF at the moment, and all of us have real and busy lives too. Theres alot of brit kit to cover, and if we put time into one place (ie, into Challengers and SA80s), it comes out of other places (ie, Infantry Packs).

Be patient, it will come in time. I plan on making the Infantry before I retire from addon making smile_o.gif (I am UKFs 'Chris', as referenced in the news post, incase you were wondering btw. My BI forum account hails from a time when using ones real name wasn't cool. wink_o.gif )

My BI forum account hails from a time when using ones real name wasn't cool. wink_o.gif )

what do you mean ? huh.gif

Sweet, thanks for the information on the infantry! I'd just love to see some brit infantry alongside those vehicles. I completely understand time issues, I am a victim of those myself. Stretching myself over three mods has made me quite low on time, and combine that with little time in general.

Also, are the Vikings going to make an appearance?

My BI forum account hails from a time when using ones real name wasn't cool. wink_o.gif )

what do you mean ? huh.gif

You know, when you're about 15 and reckon you're well hardcore if you call yourself 'Pathfinder' confused_o.gif Then becomes rather embarrasing in retrospect once you hit any reasonable age. One of the many many downpoints of having been part of this community for around 8 years is all this stuff comes back to haunt you wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Sweet, thanks for the information on the infantry! I'd just love to see some brit infantry alongside those vehicles. I completely understand time issues, I am a victim of those myself. Stretching myself over three mods has made me quite low on time, and combine that with little time in general.

Also, are the Vikings going to make an appearance?

I've found it alot better sticking to one team to be honest, I used to spread myself abit thin back in the day, but my love of British Kit pulled me in the direction of UKF in the end, and i'd not consider joining another team, although as I said, the general plan is to retire from the whole shebang once the Infantry are done! biggrin_o.gif

As for Vikings, wait and see what the next news update brings. Shouldn't be too long away, either.

notworthy.gif

Glad to see yous guys are still around  smile_o.gif

Nice work on those rovers, wheels are looking much better now. Looking forward to see them finished.....and of course on my HDD thumbs-up.gif

Great work guys!

I can't wait to try this babies smile_o.gif