Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Sakakah Al Jawf OPEN BETA

The current release was intentionally left fairly empty as you've probably noticed, this was to observe if high amounts of building could be potentionally a source of lag, but as reported here you'll see that most people get pretty decent frame rates, therefore I can conclude that most of the lower frame rate experienced on Sahrani is due to vegetation. Final release will not be for everyone, this was never intended either because I will most likely up the object count quite a lot.

Quote[/b] ]what I am trying to say is maybe add a new district that is a little on the impoverished side and war torn. Or a totally separate little community

I don't want to slip to far away from the original city structure so there won't be any new district beyond what already is except maybe rearranging and expanding them, but it'll certainly change a lot.

You could always have a look at the original city in Google Earth to see it full scale.

-edit-

Quote[/b] ]but if there's not much performance difference in editor-placed crud then I say leave it clean. Just add the little side touches

This I am a bit skeptical about, once I tried to make a city with the editor and there was a substantially lower frame rate with editor placed objects as opposed to Visitor, buuut that was on my old rig so I'm not so sure.

Ready for a city fight?  Here is a CTI mission for Sakakah Al Jawf.

Based on ogn forums version crCTI_ogn_95_13 with working JIP (join in progress).  

Bases are spawned randomly and there are fourteen flags to capture in the city.

Addons Required:

OGN buildings and OGN wtf markers (included in zip file)

NOTE: This mission does not work on a dedicated server but you can host a regular MP game on your computer and have people join with no problems.   In this beta version of Sakakah Al Jawf, hosting on a dedicated server will result in the server not responding.  Looking forwards to the next release of Sakakah Al Jawf!

Enjoy,

GassyButt

Download -> HERE

Edit: Wrong addons in archive - has been corrected.. oops

I understand and respect where you are trying not to deviate from the original city of Al Jawf. How about making one of the current districts an impoverished district?

Cool!.

A misson already...

I'd like to see some small checkpoints or bases like in BaseOverrahmadi ones..

I just did a test flight with the piper warrior II.

Great map all in all.

cool map, I have been making a small mission (not going to release it no briefing or end condition etc, just go in and shoot) which I keep adding more and more viechles and groups to. If I had this many units on sahrani I would have crashed my pc totally bfeore it would even load. So good job on this smile_o.gif

A few points, there is a dual carrigeway that goes part into the desert then stops (not the main one its to the east and stops and there is desert between it and the main road futher east) Could this be converted to a small base in the final / next beta? I would use the editor plugins but the icons are not the right size etc and they never line up for me :/ Just a suggestion.

After 2 hours playing on different home-made missions, I have got a CTD with an error :

"Cannot create system memory surface DXT5, 2048x2048 (size 559416B) Error code 8007000e"

After 2 hours playing on different home-made missions, I have got a CTD with an error :

"Cannot create system memory surface DXT5, 2048x2048 (size 559416B) Error code 8007000e"

Very common error in ArmA, happens on Sahrani too.

lovely map, especially considering this is still a beta version.

thumbs-up.gif

A few things i noticed that could make it more "real" ,hope they haven't been mentioned earlier.

-water towers aren't placed at high points, i would expect to see one on the nearby hill and maybe one more towards the middle of the city on higher ground.

-can't be sure by looking at the google map ,but many Saudi towns have fountains at squares/roundabouts along the road. Was something i missed while driving through this town, especially with so many empty circles along the roads.

-There was one row of non-enterable buildings where u could walk inside and still hit targets outside it. Not a big point,but it will be exploited in multiplayer so it would be great if such buildings don't make it into the final version. (I'm praying for people to make u new buildings to use on this lovely map confused_o.gif )

-And lastly the roads, If u could add a layer of dust/sand to the sides by retexturing them a bit it would give it a much deeper desert feeling. (or even have less used roads be more covered in dust and the main roads only at the sides)

Have no idea if this is possible but it's just an idea i had while driving. smile_o.gif

Performance was really good with editor loading the map in ~5 seconds and preview comming up quickly too, everything running at a solid FPS. Only an occasional glitch where it would take a long time(several minutes) for the menu to appear after pressing escape..but doubt that's fixable with a 175Mb file.

Good luck with the map and I'm looking forward to the end result!

Quote[/b] ]-There was one row of non-enterable buildings where u could walk inside and still hit targets outside it. Not a big point,but it will be exploited in multiplayer so it would be great if such buildings don't make it into the final version. (I'm praying for people to make u new buildings to use on this lovely map confused_o.gif

Please tell me EXACTLY where, this is very important, thanks.

Dropping by to say

• 120 Civi's

• 10 Civilian vehicles

• 32 ACU Units

• 1 M1A1

• 2 Strykers

• 2 Humvees

• 2 Blackhawks Circling the town (holding fire)

• 100 SLA (Default BIS units)

All running under Kronzky's UPS script, while running FRAPS I have been getting about 15FPS. I'd say that's pretty darn impressive. Whatever you've done with this version, be it unbinarized packaging etc. just keep it up. heh heh.

I especially love how in some areas you've posiitoned the buildings so that you can walk from one roof to another. That's awesome. I like the way it looks at around 6-7am, or 5-7PM especially. I am still fighting with whether I want to do a vid of picturesque and vast scenery or crazy combat LOL. Good stuff.

About Queens Gambit, as I don't have QG yet, I don't know what the buildings look like but change is good. smile_o.gif Yeah some will not have it, but I think if you did change it to QG included buildings, you'll have to be prepared in that the community will keep using your beta for those that don't have QG rofl.gif You'd have to pry this map outta my cold, dead hands for me to stop using it.

pistols.gif

Armavidz

hmmm, i'm puzzled now.

Reloaded the map and tried to walk inside the buildings again but it did'nt work. The doors and windows also look normal now, last time they seemed to hover about 2cm from the main texture.

So i guess it was a false alert and a one time bug, Sorry.

Here's a pic of the buildings anyway, just incase.

http://www.neuvostoliitto.org/nakki/overview.JPG

you have to add the TV station, as soon as you get QG, somewhere middle of town or at least being surrounded by a few houses.

it`s really good fighting from the rooftops of that tv station.

Damn fine map!

Entering it with troops and armor protecting it can be a major task, but loads of fun.

My armor column was beaten back by a few T-72's protecting the main entrance. And the surrounding berms closer to the city gives troops spots to attack from.

I'm trying some night attacks as I type this, so It'll only just get better.

We need more land locked BIIIIIG maps like this. Cause when more aircraft are avilible I'm gona go dogfighting again....I don't wana swim home smile_o.gif

Is there any plans for a mosque??? biggrin_o.gif

that'd be AWESOME!

Is there any plans for a mosque??? biggrin_o.gif

that'd be AWESOME!

I cannot comment on this yet.

Really impressive work for this map! notworthy.gif

After an our of few testing one of the things I've notice is that after order to your troops to enter a building and get on the rooftop if the buildings are surrounded by wall or fence even with the entrance or gate the troops stops in front of it without entering.

This also happen when you order to your troops to enter a brick in the walls or to get in a field surrounded by fences they will rest outside

This for the moment is the main problem i've encountered I have some other suggestion about get more density to the map by adding object and other stuff but as you said is still beta and I'll wait for an update to see other changes.

That's all, wery nice job man! thumbs-up.gif

Opteryx: this one wink_o.gif

Yeah hes aleady stated hes going to add this once his version of QG arrives. smile_o.gif

Sorry to be such a pest smile_o.gif

but, any news on when the next to final version should be done?

(I dont wanna nearly finish my mission, then have the arrangemnt of buildings moved! crazy_o.gif )

and again.. yay.gifthumbs-up.gif

great work.

the beta alone has me hooked!

Sorry to be such a pest smile_o.gif

but, any news on when the next to final version should be done?

(I dont wanna nearly finish my mission, then have the arrangemnt of buildings moved! crazy_o.gif )

and again.. yay.gifthumbs-up.gif

great work.

the beta alone has me hooked!

<s>Well considering I just lost 2 GB of Raster data</s> and 50 hours of work, another 40 hours down the drain trying to find a quick fix with all the wonderful (sarcasm) panoramic stitching applications available on the web and still not being able to obtain QG ( I won't release next version without QG..), I'd say there's no imminent release of a new build....not by a long shot.

-edit-

Data retrieved!! biggrin_o.gif

Still no QG though..

No, it was supposed to be released last Friday here in Norway.

In the US it is on the 28th. Can you at least wait to release the updated map until the 28th. That way the whole community will have a chance to get QG

In the US it is on the 28th. Can you at least wait to release the updated map until the 28th. That way the whole community will have a chance to get QG

Most certainly, I'd be lucky even if I have a build of sufficient quality to release by then.