Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Sakakah Al Jawf OPEN BETA

NO lag

Opteryx- as you can tell everyone loves your map. Congratulations on a job well done. Now this is an outstanding start to this project of yours. Here are some of my suggestions for adding on to this map.

1) Some turned over cars in some of the alleyways. This would make for great covered and concealed position and will allow for some fantastic street to street fighting

2) If possible some trash on the outskirts of town. Maybe in some areas of Saudi Arabia they dont use the outskirts as their trash and sewage dump. But as you know in Iraq and other places this is where they dump all of their shit and garbage.

3) Maybe you can incorporate with one of the unit makers (that will be getting those nasty little insurgents that we all need out soon) and make a package of the map with insurgents and some arabic folks. It would be nice to simulate some of those nosy people that liked to come outside during firefights to see what was going on instead of staying in their houses.

4) Maybe you can even throw in one of those Death Stars, you know it could be flying around high in the sky, randomly shooting its death ray and evaporating all of the slubs walking around.:) My mom wants that one.J/J

In all you are the architect. Thanks once again.

GOT INSURGENTS?

I would like to say:

NO lag

Opteryx- as you can tell everyone loves your map. Congratulations on a job well done. Now this is an outstanding start to this project of yours.

I agree smile_o.gif

1) Some turned over cars in some of the alleyways. This would make for great covered and concealed position and will allow for some fantastic street to street fighting

I desagree! Please don't do this. In fact remove all your wrecked cars in the map. I already noticed some, and i had to disagree with them. I like them but not on a "virgin" city. Let the mission maker do that job. Imagine you want to start with a peaceful city. How can you do it if you already have wrecked vehicles here and here etc.. Also it will be boring to have a wreck at exactly same place. Let the mission makers place/decide where the wrecked vehicles should be. wink_o.gif

Instead add Ruins. Even peaceful cities have ruins.

2) If possible some trash on the outskirts of town. Maybe in some areas of Saudi Arabia they dont use the outskirts as their trash and sewage dump. But as you know in Iraq and other places this is where they dump all of their shit and garbage.

I agree

Also1: the big cliffs that surround the main area are extreme. Please level those cliffs until you get water.

Also1: Would be nice to have more rocks on the ground. Some small other bigger.

Quote[/b] ]Please level those cliffs until you get water.
What do you mean until I get water?

i think he means at the egde of the map, where it would normal turn into a island, but you have it as unlimited desert, which is better imho.

Bravo6 why would we need water, this is not an island you knw tounge2.gif

Woah im reading loads of positive comments about this map smile_o.gif Gonna download it soon.

By the way, you say you wish to include QG content.. does that mean those without QG wont be able to use it? sad_o.gif

By the way, you say you wish to include QG content.. does that mean those without QG wont be able to use it? sad_o.gif

Please don't add QG content.

IMO you should make a seperate QG version of this map then.. If thats the case.

huh.gif

Why should I waste time on two different versions just because some are too cheap to buy QG? Not going to happen.

Guest Ti0n3r

I for one think adding QG buildings is a good idea biggrin_o.gif

pfft@ the cheap people

What a nice island from the 1st time!! Please don't make this town to an garbage dump...anyway

Missing few villages/houses/camps farther in region connected via desert roads, some bigger gas station, airstrip. Some civil wrecked cars/trucks are ok along freeway/roads in town.

Thanks.

Hi mate,

First of all,THANKS for the map matey,it is absolutey amazing, notworthy.gif

Theres so many places for decent firefights etc...etc.....

As for the QG models,i think it would be even better with these buildings on the map,with the TV station and the Tower.

I have 1 suggestion though,could you maybe add a fuel station or 2, as it would be very useful for missions such as guard or capture or destroy etc...etc.....

Once again THANKS for the hard work matey,Much appreciated.

All the best

Dan

I must say it's a bit of a dilemma, should I make it a clean untouched city? Or that dirty war torn look that's present in Iraq? Personally I'd like to give it a Iraqi look, but since it's in Saudi Arabia (which is a fairly wealthy place) I'm not so sure really.

And there's another thing, it's very hard to fill out the city with stuff like bus stops, phone booths, shops, street signs, etc. because all of the default ArmA ones have either Spanish or English writing on it.

Well that sir is entirely up to you as which ever you decide you will get a 50\50 response as some will like it war torn and some will not.

Either way,i will be happy smile_o.gif

You the man notworthy.gif

All the best

Dan

i think he means at the egde of the map, where it would normal turn into a island, but you have it as unlimited desert, which is better imho.

Bravo6 why would we need water, this is not an island you knw tounge2.gif

yeah, your right. I didn't explained myself well, and confused the main idea.

What i really meant was.. to level the terrain without the Cliffs around the main map, ie, get rid or the cliffs and instead you could transform into unlimited desert. Would turn it more natural and realistic smile_o.gif

EDIT:

Why should I waste time on two different versions just because some are too cheap to buy QG? Not going to happen.

dude, the hole idea along these passed years was to join the community, not separate. If people need Queen Gambit to load your future version probably will separate the community.

Please don't help separate the community, is radder more important to join this Wonderful Community!

I must say it's a bit of a dilemma, should I make it a clean untouched city? Or that dirty war torn look that's present in Iraq? Personally I'd like to give it a Iraqi look, but  since it's in Saudi Arabia (which is a fairly wealthy place) I'm not so sure really.

And there's another thing, it's very hard to fill out the city with stuff like bus stops, phone booths, shops, street signs, etc. because all of the default ArmA ones have either Spanish or English writing on it.

Dude, even in Saudi, they have some crappy areas. You just need to have some sectors that are a bit trashy or worn down. I told you in my PM that you need to create a scenario for your map and not rely on just making a city.

Create a setting for mission makers and I recommended to you that AQ has made their way to Saudi Arabia and the Saudis requested a US presence there to deal with AQ. The idea was for you to select certain areas that are controlled by AQ and other Islamists, with hidden IEDs (if possible) scattered throughout the area that is set against US forces. This would give mission editors an idea of how to create missions within the world that you created.

Too many map creaters make maps that have no background or settings, and your map is great map that could really use a setting in the final version.

Dude, even in Saudi, they have some crappy areas. You just need to have some sectors that are a bit trashy or worn down. I told you in my PM that you need to create a scenario for your map and not rely on just making a city.

Create a setting for mission makers and I recommended to you that AQ has made their way to Saudi Arabia and the Saudis requested a US presence there to deal with AQ. The idea was for you to select certain areas that are controlled by AQ and other Islamists, with hidden IEDs (if possible) scattered throughout the area that is set against US forces. This would give mission editors an idea of how to create missions within the world that you created.

Too many map creaters make maps that have no background or settings, and your map is great map that could really use a setting in the final version.

Yeah, I replied to that PM, apparently it got lost, anyway your suggestion seemed more directed towards mission making. However there will be generic military bases in the surrounding areas.

For future reference, do not send me suggestions via PM as that's the purpose of this thread.

Yeah, I replied to that PM, apparently it got lost, anyway your suggestion seemed more directed towards mission making. However  there will be generic military bases in the surrounding areas.

For future reference, do not send me suggestions via PM as that's the purpose of this thread.

LoL, "future reference" taken, but it would have been better you told me this in a PM and not in your thread about your addon. wink_o.gif

I have to disagree with the people that want the city to be filled with alot of objects fixing it to a certain scenario.  From a mission maker standpoint it is always better to have an open theme to work with.

This includes the placing of wrecked cars, and even more so with the placing of IEDs.  This kind of detail really should be up to the mission maker.  Just imagine driving by the same IED in every mission made for the map.

To keep a map open to any kind of mission it is better to stick to architectual and vegetation objects.  I would even watch with the amount of garbage and liter (objects) you place.  Rather fill the open spaces with small walls, and large wall structures surrounding special places like TV station and mosques.

Regarding the placement of Queens Gambit object, I can only strongly hope that you will use them.  I think so for two reasons:  first of all they fit your map wonderfull (cant wait to climb the large minarett tower for some overwatch, as well as a raid on the TV station and the light grass from Porto map looks exactly like the desert grass shown on one of the example fotos from the region).  And second the QG objects have alot of buildings which roofs are accessable through ladders or stairs which will make fighting in the city even more interesting.

Anyway, whichever way this map goes, I guess I will love it anyway, so best of luck with it. wink_o.gif

I have to disagree with the people that want the city to be filled with alot of objects fixing it to a certain scenario. From a mission maker standpoint it is always better to have an open theme to work with.

This includes the placing of wrecked cars, and even more so with the placing of IEDs. This kind of detail really should be up to the mission maker. Just imagine driving by the same IED in every mission made for the map.

To keep a map open to any kind of mission it is better to stick to architectual and vegetation objects. I would even watch with the amount of garbage and liter (objects) you place. Rather fill the open spaces with small walls, and large wall structures surrounding special places like TV station and mosques.

You got some good points there, also it enhances performance with a minimalistic approach (as already reported by many here)

Regarding the placement of Queens Gambit object, I can only strongly hope that you will use them. I think so for two reasons: first of all they fit your map wonderfull (cant wait to climb the large minarett tower for some overwatch, as well as a raid on the TV station and the light grass from Porto map looks exactly like the desert grass shown on one of the example fotos from the region). And second the QG objects have alot of buildings which roofs are accessable through ladders or stairs which will make fighting in the city even more interesting.

Really looking forward to adding that VBS Minaret, but there's no sign of QG in stores here yet even though release was Friday, starting to get pissed now. mad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]LoL, "future reference" taken, but it would have been better you told me this in a PM and not in your thread about your addon. wink_o.gif
Was intended for everyone here. smile_o.gif

Built it like "real" :

City center and some places around should be clean and nice. You might place some fountain too and add kind of "VIP area".

Place all those garbage/dirt stuff too some slums and suburban area . Imho that is basically enough to show contrasts. Buildings like Markets (Bazar), Minaret and others gives more atmosphere to the map.

Maybe there are too many people here that "recognize" arab cities/countries only as "war-backyard" ?

I have to disagree with the people that want the city to be filled with alot of objects fixing it to a certain scenario. From a mission maker standpoint it is always better to have an open theme to work with.

This includes the placing of wrecked cars, and even more so with the placing of IEDs. This kind of detail really should be up to the mission maker. Just imagine driving by the same IED in every mission made for the map.

To keep a map open to any kind of mission it is better to stick to architectual and vegetation objects. I would even watch with the amount of garbage and liter (objects) you place. Rather fill the open spaces with small walls, and large wall structures surrounding special places like TV station and mosques.

You got some good points there, also it enhances performance with a minimalistic approach (as already reported by many here)

Exactly where i wanted to get!

Remember: With QG you will separate the Community. confused_o.gif

This map is fine for me, I have played on it intense battle with more and more units until it was no more playable ...

I have got less than 5FPS but more than 300 tanks involved as well as 250 inf units plus some chopper ... and using DMSmokeEffects so the map is as good as BI Sahrani (I have the same results with the same battle layout).

I must report a peculiar incident after 2 hours testing map with ArmA 1.8 + QG without other 3rd parts addons I have got a large bug -some parts of the landscape being black- and then a PC boot ! yep, not a CTD, a boot so my screen was lost !

This map is fine for me, I have played on it intense battle with more and more units until it was no more playable ...

I have got less than 5FPS but more than 300 tanks involved as well as 250 inf units plus some chopper ... and using DMSmokeEffects so the map is as good as BI Sahrani (I have the same results with the same battle layout).

I must report a peculiar incident after 2 hours testing map with ArmA 1.8 + QG without other 3rd parts addons I have got a large bug -some parts of the landscape being black- and then a PC boot ! yep, not a CTD, a boot so my screen was lost !

All the terrain and texture settings are indentical to Sahrani, so either it's packaging/unbinarized config, your PC or something related to QG, if not I don't know what it possibly could be. confused_o.gif

Remember: With QG you will separate the Community. confused_o.gif

This is how much I care about people who can't be arsed to buy QG-----> nener.gif

Seriously, consider this, if I were to buy the models featured in QG online, I'd have to pay the same amount of money as for the entire expansion, in addition to that I'd have to waste time learning how to convert them for ArmA. The campaigns, islands and extra units are just a bonus if you ask me, I doubt I'll even play much of it.

The community has definitely convinced me of a few point.

1). Yes, the majority of the map should be of a clean surface. Meaning, putting overturned cars or other objects should be left up to the mission maker.

2). You mentioned that this a scaled down version of Al Jawf, which leads to the assumption that you can broaden the city. You mentioned that what you liked about the city of Al Jawf, was that it had a good separation of districts. I still think the trash part should be implemented because people want towns in Iraq, not towns in Saudi Arabia. The current conflict is mostly centralized in Iraq. So, what I am trying to say is maybe add a new district that is a little on the impoverished side and war torn. Or a totally separate little community.

Once again you are the architect and supreme creator of this land.

I must say it's a bit of a dilemma, should I make it a clean untouched city? Or that dirty war torn look that's present in Iraq? Personally I'd like to give it a Iraqi look, but since it's in Saudi Arabia (which is a fairly wealthy place) I'm not so sure really.

Well I've been persuaded by comments here that the city should remain clean smile_o.gif I was initially in favour of dirtying it down, but if there's not much performance difference in editor-placed crud then I say leave it clean. Just add the little side touches.

For the people who wish for a separate QG and non-QG versions, well you already have that to a certain extent. There's this current version, and possibly a few future versions, before QG content gets added.