Sign in to follow this  

New interview with Maruk

4-armaholic_interviews_3.jpg

Marek "Maruk" Spanel CEO of www.bistudio.com has given Armaholic.com the possibility to ask him some questions about "Arma: Queens Gambit" and also BIS' upcomming title "Arma 2".

Quote :

Armaholic:

QG is set to be released at the 28th of September. Is there any information you can give us about the upcoming patch? How far are you with it and could you maybe reveal some fixes that will most certainly please the community?

Marek:

Info about the patch you can already read on our blog at http://www.bistudio.com. The biggest improvement I see is in the reduction of cheating, which became a big threat more recently, repaired fog on DX10 graphic cards (Geforce 8xxx, Radeon 2xxx) and removing of the copy-protection service and hacking exe.

Armaholic:

How about the artillery? In ArmA the artillery was limited in the way it could support the player (without extra scripting), will you work on a more advanced artillery system?

Marek:

We are making this by scripts too. But we are planning to use this feature more, but it isn’t our primary objective.

Armaholic:

With ArmA you also updated the mission editor and added new features and improved the GUI. In the forums we can already find some user suggestions of what to improve in the editor.

Have you planned improving the editor even further and will you take the user suggestions into account?

Marek:

We are adding many nice details and other things. Additionally we are planning a new alternative edit mode. So I believe the community will not be disappointed.

You can read the complete interview in the Armaholic.com Articles section.

[edit]

Argh, wrong bbcode in my head tounge2.gif

Excellent and very informative piece of work - thank you! It's great to see this increased level of interaction between BIS and the community and I am particularly pleased that with each extra bit of information I read about ArmA2, it makes me want to play it more.

removing of the copy-protection service and hacking exe.

I dont completely understand this sentence, does it mean that like OFP v1.96 there will be no more cd (dvd this case) checks so we dont have to keep disc in the drive when playing?

Nice interview, not much new but it gives a bit more insight. All info is good info smile_o.gif

Kewl. So bis is considering leaving military simulation. Oh boy. Everyone, find a plasma rifle and get ready for the next decade of gaming! sad_o.gif

Plasma rifles will be standard issue when ArmA II is out.

removing of the copy-protection service and hacking exe.

I dont completely understand this sentence, does it mean that like OFP v1.96 there will be no more cd (dvd this case) checks so we dont have to keep disc in the drive when playing?

I think it means they'll sort out the various different means of copy protection that come with the game. I think the different publishers use a different system and the download version uses something different again. Maybe they're unifying the system with a single version?

Kewl. So bis is considering leaving military simulation. Oh boy. Everyone, find a plasma rifle and get ready for the next decade of gaming! sad_o.gif

This is when rumours start spreading out... i just read the interview (thanks Armaholics) and havent read anything that would lead me to such conclusion.

This is when rumours start spreading out... i just read the interview (thanks Armaholics) and havent read anything that would lead me to such conclusion.

This is the way the ArmA community thinks these days, infact it's more the norm in the gaming community as a whole. Some assumptions based on absolutely nothing but the assumptions themselves. "it'll be exactly like ArmA! I know it will! I've seen a single screenshot and KNOW IT BE TRUE!". OK over reacting slightly, or is it? That's the sort of assumptions the community seems to jump to these days with very little or no evidence at all. The wider media is the same, making "facts" out of nothing. "He didnt say the contrary so it must be true".

Quote[/b] ]Big groups are hard to control. We want to make ARMA 2 accessible for more people, and for them a team bigger then 4-5 soldiers is too complicated.

I hope this doesn't mean they will take away the support for the big squads. Personally I enjoy the leader position with big squads. I hope its not a sign that the control issues over bigger squads won't be tackled.

Kewl. So bis is considering leaving military simulation.

Actually that's something we discussed publicly some time ago, can't remember which interview but many people in the company are not fans of military gaming and would prefer to make something a bit different and imaginative smile_o.gif

Kewl. So bis is considering leaving military simulation. Oh boy. Everyone, find a plasma rifle and get ready for the next decade of gaming! :-(

>shocked<  crazy_o.gif , Maybe they will return for the military simulation in someday, Right?  huh.gif .

if BIS makes things good with Arma 2 we will have game for several years i think yay.gif

Quote[/b] ]For Arma 2 we are making AI which will work in precision in centimeters, which communicates more, and gesticulate. AI Which takes cover behind the corners, leans from the corners, uses sidesteps, back steps and stuff like that. I think all of this makes for a completely new experience from player vs AI battles. We are working on the system of suppressive fire too.

This is making me happy.

Actually that's something we discussed publicly some time ago, can't remember which interview but many people in the company are not fans of military gaming and would prefer to make something a bit different and imaginative smile_o.gif

Does that mean we can finally expect a Fairy Tale 2 ?

Call me stupid, but I don't see anything about any new expansions for ArmA... and if ArmA II will hit the shelves in 2008, that means there won't be any new BIG expansions, like Resistance for OFP crazy_o.gif

Call me stupid, but I don't see anything about any new expansions for ArmA... and if ArmA II will hit the shelves in 2008, that means there won't be any new BIG expansions, like Resistance for OFP  crazy_o.gif

History does not always repeat itself the same way!

Personally, I just could not imagine (in an positive sense! )

what BIS would be able to come up with;..apart from ArmA 2.

But if any 'new' franchise, I would expect nothing less than

'at least' the same scope and depth of engine/gameplay options

from some such new, because BIS made themselves known

of this. To this day, there still is nothing similar out there...if

you plan to top yourself..cant wait! smile_o.gif

Its been soo many years (7) now (thank you very much! ) and

frankly, I (we? ) became so used to the OFP/ArmA 'world'

that anything even remotely more 'mainstream' by BIS ...would 'feel' very, very odd. No?

As it may, times goes by, interests and needs change;..maybe an split-up is possible?

Until then, playing ArmA + great addons and missions, waiting

patiently for 1.09 and ArmA 2 to arrive.. smile_o.gif

Placebo said that some people at the company want to make more imaginative games and the interview with maruk no where does it say they are not making military simulators anymore. it just says that they will be releasing public games. maybe they are looking to increase the size of the company? have two sets of developers working on two sets of games, one a HYPOTHETICAL ArmA 3 the other a Role playing game maybe?

who knows. if it interests me and im still playing games then ill buy it.

Quote[/b] ] Marek:

Arma 2 is developed mainly by Bohemia Interactive, but some things will be developed by other studios.

eSim ?? biggrin_o.gif

Just a rumor I heard some time ago. whistle.gif

many people in the company are not fans of military gaming and would prefer to make something a bit different and imaginative smile_o.gif

Fire them!  pistols.gif

Well, it's up to BIS. I'd certainly like to see ArmA 3 (it could be a tank, helo and infantry sim in one game, you know?  inlove.gif )

@opteryx: Where did you heard that?

I hope BIS still wont give up military sims completely. No other game developer has made a game similar to OFP/ArmA. Making 2 games at once is possible, you can't give up this market smile_o.gif

Still, I'd love to see what else BIS could come up with.

Well, they can give ArmAII an Alice in Wonderland storyline if it makes them happy. As long as they release the modification tools in time and the engine is capable I won't mind.

Regarding the patch plans for ArmA1 I see the changelogs becomes smaller and minor and therefore I think BIS is done with ArmA.

Regarding the patch plans for ArmA1 I see the changelogs becomes smaller and minor and therefore I think BIS is done with ArmA.

Patch wise after 1.09 hopefully yes smile_o.gif