Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jerryhopper

Meeting of the Mods

Recommended Posts

I hear ya Granq , i went to that irc @ ofpec last month and wow was it a let down ,the main topic of conversation was some guy swearing his head off and typing in broken english,which was akin to a mixture of latin american and leet speak whitman or something he was called.

I hope maybe they do use irc and then publish the minutes so to speak, would make a nice read i am sure.

I know who you are talking about. You are talking about the mascot of #ofpec

rofl.gif

You can always put him on ignore if you don't like what he writes.

oh yeah hi wippie whistle.gif

Many people got lots of OFP mission editing help from #ofpec @QuakeNet. Okay most of the talk isn't about mission editing, but come as a friendly person there, ask a question and you'll get advice. It happened before and it happens again if needed, I have no doubt about that. The friendly people are there too, you just need to ask your question and ignore the people who try to get you to show the little devil in you by spamming like there is no tomorrow.

Hey I think a voice recording is better, but maybe a written transcript could be made? I'm sure not everything is easy to figure out what was said, especially if the speakers are a random bunch of people all around the World English as their n-th language. Jerryhopper speaks English with a Dutch accent, I understand him well, I already did business meetings with Dutch people so I recognize the accent from there. But a transcript wouldn't be bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe you can agree on addon AND readme tags as well. Would be good if we could get that in order while the ArmA community is still "young"...

I think the biggest problem in OFP was how split up the community was. Many making similar addons and internal fighting and accusations flying about people "stealing" from other addonmakers. I reckon this is a good step to avoid similar problems in ArmA.

Just my 2 cents...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have to agree on using forums or IRC to log what has been said to prevent discussions from going around in circles. I thought about starting something like this, but soon realised that since this is a free community, and people can do what they want, no one but a few people would actually be interested, and even fewer people would actually stick to agreements instead of just doing things the way they want.

Hasn't this kind of thing been tried in the past already? Don't we have sort of a "collective" already with G85? I don't know much about that project, but I can't imagine that they didn't immediatly make standards when they started the project (probably even before coming up with some sort of storyline)

For all problems concerning conflicts between mods and addons, stealing of property, private wars between mods/addonmakers and other problems to be resolved, all mods and addonmakers would have to follow these standards 100% of the time, which is of course an impossible dream in the world of unpaid hobbies.

Part of my idea was making a forum, and only giving people that have proven themselves one way or another in the field of addonmaking (modeling, texturing, scripting), and even some well known mission makers and reliable beta testers access, like we had for the Invasion 1944 team (a completely seperate forum which no one could access unless you were placed in a membergroup that could).

I also tried to set up a system for sharing of config values and addons between WW2 mods, but it never took off.

Don't get me wrong, it's great to see that you're trying, but I know from experience that the chance of failure is 90%... confused_o.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of whining ... tounge2.gif

I myself can't understand what a "mod-meeting" could do better than this forum, pms and emails.

Trying to create some central organization within a non-commercial addon community will not work and would be useless anyway.

There will always be different mod teams and addon makers with different quality standards and ways of doing things. Sharing of ideas and technology already works with what we have currently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Speaking of whining ... tounge2.gif

I myself can't understand what a "mod-meeting" could do better than this forum, pms and emails.

Trying to create some central organization within a non-commercial addon community will not work and would be useless anyway.

There will always be different mod teams and addon makers with different quality standards and ways of doing things. Sharing of ideas and technology already works with what we have currently.

One mans trash is another man treasure.

What you fail to realize is that this world is not revolving around you.

You may be the type to learn from doing. You might also be the type to learn from seeing something done. Or lastly you may be the type to learn from hearing something explained. People learn differently than others...this is a fact

You would have been a horrible teacher with this kind of attitude.

Well thanks btw for expressing your opinion. I hope you feel better now.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record.

I have organized such a thing for Battlefield2

Then we had  complete different motivation as modders.

Then we talked about : proggress for each mod, bottlenecks for each mod, exposure for mods, and a few requests from the United Modders towards EA.

This last goal, was set and reached.

in a Modmeeting, where a EA employee listened to some of our pain's, and eventually came to an agreement.

its Those ModMeetings that achived that there is custom code in BF2 for mods.

Ofcourse, many more Mod-Teams felt that the 'meeting' helped them in one way or the other.

i dont see why it wouldnt work. in fact : this first meeting is somewhat like a 'Pilot'

Now, back to the thread, and lets stay ontopic.

i dont have a "i wont be coming list " but i suppose you two can be virtually on it . rofl.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AfrographX

Quote[/b] ]Sharing of ideas and technology already works with what we have currently.

You really are having a laugh with that one .

This is a very good initiative and could only serve to compliment well established sites that provide info and tutorials such as ofpec and the biki in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edit: nvm, looking at a problem from both ends of the spectrum is never a smart thing to do, surely one man knows better than a hundred others biggrin_o.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don't get me wrong, it's great to see that you're trying, but I know from experience that the chance of failure is 90%... confused_o.gif

So let's not try at all, eh?

My suggestion would be for you to vote with silence. If you're not interested in trying it in a way that the organizer wants to, then just don't get involved.

Abs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote[/b] ]Wouldn't IRC work better for this? So the whole thing can be logged?

Just an idea. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I myself can't understand what a "mod-meeting" could do better than this forum, pms and emails.

Agree on all of these  biggrin_o.gif

We, the FDF team, have used IRC and forums for our communications from the beginning. I think I can say we like it and it works quite well.

Forums - or any other way of communicating by reading and writing - would be more equal to people who don't speak English as native language. Sure you need skills to read and write, but not in such high level as speaking.

Nice idea anyway thumbs-up.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so any plans for a meeting this weekend or something? Think we got the most active modders of ArmA's community, we can get things started now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No farles, earliest would be next weekend, not this weekend.

i like this info to sinked into the WHOLE community.

i agree, we have a good bunch of people, and im glad to say that BAS is in too.

But things should not be hasted.

Due to the multinational community - we deal with different timezones. i will be polling for the most appropreate time, based on the timezones of all participants.

So when the time is ripe, i'll message all participants with the information about the meeting.

for now, spread the word. thats the only sensible thing to do now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am somewhat interested

I don't believe in chatting much, mine would be all technical

I am not part of a modteam per say, but you said members were welcome

I am one of the ones that tried to combine all WW2 teams.

I am open for any type of coordination

I'd prefer IRC,I have mics on my security cameras,don't really have a mic tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote[/b] ]and maybe even BIS.

yeah, sure  whistle.gif  btw if Arma is not the game of the year, this is the fault of this community.

i want that ...

i want that...

i want that...

but your idea is great, but that won't work as usual.

Its fault of BIS.... Game of the year is game that is good without any mods/addons.... So if community instead of saying "I want this" made more addons this is not going to make this game of the year.

This is great idea, this is the part the community forgets. Yea sure there are alot of people who can make the mods. But its seems that they can't communicate  whistle.gif I'm talking about communications larger then just between members in the mod.

Some might say that jerry is lazy bum who can't make addons, but he is making community better, with sahrani radio, now meeting of the mods. I wonder what is next  thumbs-up.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote[/b] ]Some might say that jerry is lazy bum who can't make addons, but he is making community better, with sahrani radio, now meeting of the mods. I wonder what is next  thumbs-up.gif

that is just so funny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL yeh he does a lot.

While he may not discuss what he does, I know that he's always hunting for different things in the ArmA world that is of some interest to the community.

You never know what he might do next..

notworthy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, i think that the best way of "get in touch" with other addon makers,

mod teams, mod members or just people that can contribute by

somehow adding something new to the game, will be a quick way

like a mIRC channel where the people could discuss the ideas, solve

doubts, fix problems and learn from others and then... share the

resoults of that cooperation between people in .pbo form.

As the mIRC channel will be there permanently... the different

time zones problem will be very shorted and there could always be

someone that tells you what you're doing wrong or how to do it

right; and if you don't get something at the 1St time... you've the

chance of ask again and solve the problem in 20secs instead wait

one, two, three or more days to solve some minor thing that

keeps you away of end whatever. Kinda as #OFPEC worked

some years ago, a place where you went to find help, a place

of knowledge... instead the rebels iddle house that's now; where

you can find me and enjoy my "perfect english" and the company

of some good people. Let's C ya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good idea Jerry.

I'll try to come and represent the Operation Frenchpoint team.

Yet, many people in the team would probably like to participate but won't be able because they don't understand spoken english well enough. So it might be better for them if it was on IRC. But if you think it's a more cool athmosphere on TS or Skype no problem, I'll tell them the news.  smile_o.gif

Looking forward to the first meeting.

Chris.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost missed this.

Signing up armaholic.com

I dont care what will be used to talk/discuss. I will mainly listen or read anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i would love to see all of you talk about, if it's possible, creating an automatic updater ala 6th Sense Mod. if only arma could act like steam/source where you log onto a server, and if you don't have the map/mods/add-ons required to play, steam/source automatically downloads it for you. Kegetys' ArmA Launcher is a great step, but it's simply not enough.

how many people, the average casual gamer, simply quits playing because he/she cannot play on a bunch of servers because they don't have the necessary add-ons? tons. most people don't have the time or the ambition to search for them.

most people realize this, and i believe this is one of the biggest reasons why you don't see people implementing excellent add-ons into their missions.

can you imagine if this were possible in arma? mods and maps would take off like wildfire if they simply downloaded and installed all by themselves!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×