Sign in to follow this  
jerryhopper

Meeting of the Mods

modmeeting2.jpg

Meeting of the mods - Paving the way for tomorrow.

People, its time for a fresh wind thru the community.

today, the community is negative, has a whining attitude, is impatient and intolerant.

In this chaos, it near to impossible to create homogen 'addon/mission' guidelines. or some other form of organized structure/initiative which could help with the future of this wonderfull game.

This organized structure, could be the 'ModMeeting'

A monthly recurring meeting, where participants will exchange thoughts, ideas and maybe more.

This is a VOICE meeting, held on Teamspeak.

A list of notes will be made for every subject that needs 'cooperative' support or attention.

with this coherent group, we can have a big influence on the community, and maybe even BIS.

Before people start giving arguments on the idea, let me say this.

ArmA has a community with a long history. with good and bad things.

this community, has been scattered and divided in certain 'groups' and this counts for everybody!

Not only players, Modders, but also  Newssites, Bis-moderators, publishers and even BIS/BIA employees.

if we all put a little of our pride aside, and accept eachothers differences and take this step, we could be at the dawn of a different tomorrow.

The ModMeeting isnt a Authority, and nobody 'leads' it.

i stepped forward to organized this, as i have done this in the past, with great success.

thru this post, im trying to poll the 'community's ' willingness to participate. - so dont let me down.

im calling all Mod-Teams and News-Sites.

- Appoint a appropreate ModMeeting Speaker for your team, and sign up for the modmeeting.

*( a simple reply with your 'mod teamname' or sitename, and that you like to participate suffices.  

fanmail replies should be directed to hopper.jerry@gmail.com )

The Mod-Meeting, is for MODS only.

what is discussed there, is only for those participants, unless clearly stated that information is public.

At first, we should learn to trust eachother when we are toghether on the meeting.

We already have quite some people that are interested.

Remember, that 'lone wolf' modders are also welcome to sign up.

Also, im missing some 'big names' like  FDF,  Germany1985,  and some more of the 'Bigger' names in ArmA....

It would be nice to have them, and other modders on the 'first' meeting, as you cant judge a initiative while standing on the sideline.

Preliminary participants list:

Sickboy - 6thSense.eu

DeanosBeano - DBO_Brick

Abs - Operation Northstar

Smiley Nick - Lost World Returns

MehMan - Burning Sands mod

Hoot - Stargate assault

Sentry - Tiberian Genesis mod

DjFrogstar - TCW Objects

Farles - RKSL

mrburns - ....

Sigma-6 - ....

T_D - CWR & Tiberian Genesis mod

Raptor - Bush Wars

-SWAT-  - armed-asault.net

Deadmeat - Ballistic Addon Studio's

Bratty - ....

ArmaTec - ArmATechsquad

Frandsen - Danish Defence Army Mod (DDAM)

EvEnLeaSe44 - multiple-mods

Chris Young - Operation Frenchpoint

El nino Foxhound - armaholic

Mandoble - OFPEC.com

RoadMap:

a Monthly private Meeting.

Each mod will shortly introduce itself and give updates on this months work, questions, resources requests or complaints.

The other mods can ask a general question about that mod/team via the conversation leader.

After the introduction (15 minutes), each team will go in a seperate teamspeak channel,  where the other teams can ask questions to the appropreate guys.

in this meeting, we prefer 2 participants per team.

A quarterly Public meeting.

in that event,  all participating mods will be available, as well as the public community.

Each mod will shortly introduce itself, and the public can ask a general question about that mod/team via the conversation leader.

After the introduction (10 minutes), each team will go in a seperate teamspeak channel,  where the public can ask questions to their favorite mods.

Quote[/b] ]today, the community is negative, has a whining attitude, is impatient and intolerant.

Not without reason Jezza!

Anyways, not a half bad idea!

Im drunjk, oh lord

Nice initiative!

Sickboy - 6thSense.eu - Basicly I am the team atm smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]and maybe even BIS.

yeah, sure whistle.gif btw if Arma is not the game of the year, this is the fault of this community.

i want that ...

i want that...

i want that...

but your idea is great, but that won't work as usual.

Very great idea ! Jerry Hooper, you are definitly a very important actor in this comunity.

Let's go back TO WORK ! yay.gif

Quote[/b] ]today, the community is negative, has a whining attitude, is impatient and intolerant

Some are...some arent. I wouldnt say "the community" is.

People just seem to focus on the whiners.  whistle.gif

Also, a lot of people are newer.

EDIT: Your mod meeting is a good idea dont get me wrong, Im just not a fan of people making the community out to be behaving badly all the time.

Very great idea ! Jerry Hooper, you are definitly a very important actor in this comunity.

ArmA is so "wonderfull" as Jerry Hopper ...

Stay positive, get positive results. Group together, freely help out and pass information, great things happen. Pride and ego are the opponents to this idea.. Keep it going and ArmA will shine thumbs-up.gif

(in for modelling support of a mod)

I'm in for my mod, but there's a problem. My mic doesn't work properly. sad_o.gif Can I perhaps just listen?

I don't really know enough about modding to be able to

contribute very much. Will the proceedings of these meetings

be written down and posted anywhere? Is it possible to just

listen in?

Im project leader from Tiberian Genesis mod, homepage is currently not avaiabale.

Sentry

Wouldn't IRC work better for this? So the whole thing can be logged?

Just an idea. smile_o.gif

Wouldn't IRC work better for this? So the whole thing can be logged?

Just an idea. smile_o.gif

a good irc chat without the.. chatter, would be awesome. A place where people could discuss editing and get help, like what #ofpec could have been but isn't.

I hear ya Granq , i went to that irc @ ofpec last month and wow was it a let down ,the main topic of conversation was some guy swearing his head off and typing in broken english,which was akin to a mixture of latin american and leet speak whitman or something he was called.

I hope maybe they do use irc and then publish the minutes so to speak, would make a nice read i am sure.

the IRC idea is ok, but you really create a 'bond' with someone you HEAR, instead of people hiding behind emotionless text.

Trust me, i know. it works!

the IRC idea is ok, but you really create a 'bond' with someone you HEAR, instead of people hiding behind emotionless text.

Trust me, i know. it works!

but making sense out of what people cant even say when more than one is talking...will be harder to log.... vs having someone explain something while a other posts are coming inbetween.

or mabey run polls on what people most want to discuss or figure out.... have diffrent workshops for most voted poll.

for example

Everything you need to know about making a proper reskin from config to renaming files and using a hex editor. What to avoid and how to make fake normal maps etc etc...

or

Triggers 101

and Jerry can organize the best person from each mod who has time and knowledge of the subject which needs to be discussed...

The irc should be for questions during the explanation...and then if needed can be swiched over to TS.

And then on some webpage you have a list of links for every subject.... the kind of file that people will listen to and mabey just understand a bit more from hearing terms or method/process. Atleast imo thats the only use I can see this coming to...

If another mod group wants to explain their process we organize another session if it can happen....and then keep the most basic things covered.

Like Id like to listen to a 45 minute lecture on tips when making an island for arma. From one island maker at a time... rather than 5 people saying the same thing but in a different order, and going offtopic into remember this remember that.

or config 101....

woops .

goodnight.gif

I'm all up for it, cout me in.

Farles, from RKSL Studios.

I will have a look, too.

T_D - CWR & Tiberian Genesis mod

Bush Wars Mod will also have a look.

Btw. what about a Workshop, like the legendary Mapfact workshops. Maybe after the tools are released. smile_o.gif

Bush Wars Mod will also have a look.

Btw. what about a Workshop, like the legendary Mapfact workshops. Maybe after the tools are released. smile_o.gif

Ive got something planned for a smaller scale workshop. Mainly to get buildings and architecture ready for island builders out there.

The idea is to get a joint mod coop to produce parts before the workshop and then allow addon builders to assemble the houses from the parts. Of course the parts will be all uvw uwrapped and assigned a set of textures which are usable for further modeling.

The workshop will last 30 days and at the end be compiled into the final building pack. This building back then can be reskinned and later reassembled in. The only rule is if you participate, your work is public domain for the houses pack. The first workshop would be volume one :middleeastern architecture.

all other volumes with different styles would mabey come later if the first one is able to function.

Also the idea was to create a new set of bresseb style tutorials out of the final addon/kit. Atleast for buildings and things to consider.

help island builders speed up the process... yay.gif