Sign in to follow this  
Acecombat

Far Cry 2

the editor, is that something that even remotly resembles OFP/ArmA editor?

like, ability to place objects, enemies and create missions/Objectives...

It´s nothing like OFP/ArmA editor. I dont even think its made for SP Missions, only small DM/C&H maps are possible from what i´ve seen yet.

But then again, it´s like visitor on sextacy. You can create some very detailed and good looking "levels" in about 3 hrs.

I would call Far Cry 2's single-player "Elder Scrolls: Oblivion as a Tactical First-Person Shooter".

I'm really enjoying the single-player. The migrating fire is a real spectacle.

In my opinion, the only thing this is lacking (aside from a list of tweaks) is a coop campaign and the ability to place A.I. in the mission editor.

Been watching my bro play it, I have to say the game is absolutely gorgous. Maxed out I have never seen a game that makes me just look at it for all the small details. Gameplay is ofcourse like any FPS and maybe the thing that bothers me the most is driving and car physics, there is alot of emphasis on driving from a to b to c to d in the game.

However it seems the developers are quite happy with having vehicles that seem to hit cobbles and stop abruptly, also NO damage modelling on the vehicles themselves, no broken glass or even bullet decals. And when a car goes boom it simply turns...black [ArmA textures are better], which is hugely unsatisfying.

For the gripes it has, its alright..

No no, the glass breaks. It's a nice detail when somebody sprays an MG into your face when you drive into a checkpoint and you see a bunch of bulletholes. Then a few more sprays and the windshield doesn't stick together. THe cars themselves do get damage, although far from lets say Burnout or GTA, but still more than the average FPS.

Man, I'm starting to hate those cleared checkpoints getting respawned everytime. I mean, I'm 200m away and they respawn and when I drive back, poof, they're here again.

I must say I love FarCry2 for what it is. Naturally it has problems like most other games, the most annoying one being the instant respawning of guardposts. Should be done only once per day to suggest driving around instead of using the fast travel (by bus) system, which makes the clock advance by quite a few hours.

The best choice is the sensible story that is taking place. Very well done, and I am a bit tired of monsters, aliens, and ubersoldiers. These are real people in a realistic rendered "country". What I miss is civilians. Here everyone is shooting at you which can be a bit tiresome.

Yes, I would love to see FarCry (or Crysis) evolve into a character, perks, and skillbased roleplaying shooter game. The new one from Elder Scrolls (Bethesda?) might be good, but sadly this is set in a future envorinment. Sadly, because I'm tired of it. Lets have some realistic roleplaying instead biggrin_o.gif

The biggest drawback naturally is the lack of coop multiplayer mode. This makes it uncomparable to ArmA, and I probably won't even bother to try the map editor due to this. Maybe FC2 can be good in multiplayer, I don't know. But personally I most likely wouldn't like both FC2 or ArmA for DM/PvP games. I still think Unreal Tournament style games holds the greatest fun for this (for me that is).

But the singleplayer mission and story is looking superb (have just finished the convoy unlock missions, and have found 100/221 diamonds by exploring). The "open world" feel is great, but it often annoys me that so few routes of approach is available to a target. Too much steep terrain that cannot be overcome. ArmA has much less of this stuff, much more free.

The so called nonscripted AI is mostly a joke but they still manage to hurt you so ok. They take cover better than in ArmA, but forget about proper flanking and good feeling manouver by fire. They also shoot to hit, there is no supression felt.

But unlike ArmA, there is always a decent amount of cover to choose from. ArmA is naked. FC2 is populated beyond belief.

Some of us is in gaming for the fun of it, and if there only was a coop multiplayer mode, ArmA would be in for some competition even though FC2 is obviously a military "sim" game. I still rank ArmA as the only proper choice for "massed multiplayer coop" playstyle.

Hmm, must be the brothers computer. Maxed out on everything but the vehicle damage is shat. My Bad I'll look into that smile_o.gif

I normally don't post in offtopic, but this game has so blown me away, that I had to...

I pretty much spent the whole weekend playing Far Cry non-stop, and I'm still looking forward to more.

This is the first game in YEARS that has succeeded in really sucking me in!

I already thought that I was just getting too jaded, having played too many (bad) games, but FC2 really put the fun back into gaming.

The intro is probably the best since the on in the original Half-Life (by which they were probably heavily influenced):

Having the driver speeding through the back roads, chatting with you incessantly, with hardly any attention paid to the road, already put a big grin on my face. And the absolutely gorgeous landscape, and the attention to detail (e.g. you grabbing the front seat when he has a near-collision), only got my hopes up even further.

But - a lot of games have nice cut-scenes, but they are totally unrelated to the quality of the game itself, so I was still somewhat cautious.

But FC2 was actually able to keep up that level of perfection all through the game (i.e. when you take out the map while driving, the avatar drives with just one hand, or when you use the computer at the gun shop, the transition from you sitting down in front of it, and having the game computer fill your whole screen is nearly flawless).

They didn't seem to take any shortcuts in this game, but developed everything as well as they reasonably could (and that's a rare thing nowadays).

Of course, the scenery is ABSOLUTELY BREATHTAKING, as well as believable (they even got the HDR right for once!), and further intensifies the correct atmosphere they're trying to bring across.

And this is just the looks...

As far as game-play is concerned, it too is right up there.

While you don't have the same kind of freedom as in ArmA (the roads & rivers are still a kind of network of corridors, with hardly any cross-connections), you have enough alternatives, to be able to make your own decisions on how to proceed.

The different weapon types and environmental features allow you a good deal of creativity when it comes to taking out those opponents (just can't beat burning down a whole town to take out those nasties!).

And I don't know why people are complaining about the AI - I must say they're the best "free-range" AI I've ever seen (just don't make the mistake of comparing it to some scripted situation-specific AI behavior - these guys adapt to any environment, and even to changing situations). They do use cover effectively, they do flank you (and will show up behind you if you don't watch out), and they even have "patience", something I don't think I've EVER seen in AI: They may just stay at one spot, hidden, for a couple of minutes, making you wonder if they, right now, are sneaking up on you, or whether they're still at the last spot you saw them, making outsmarting them pretty tricky. (Normally, with a new game, I find a method of forcing the AI into their death within minutes. Here - not so much... They still keep me on my toes.)

And, to continue with the game's level of perfection: I've played it now for 2 days straight. About 6-8 hours a day. And I've not come across a single bug!!! And this is a V1.0 game, with a brand-new engine! (Only once did an objective not complete correctly, but doing it over fixed that problem.) Not one glitch, no getting stuck anywhere (me or the AI), no crashes, alt-tabbing works fine, and not even any typos or discrepancies in the subtitles! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Yes, there are some issues that are not perfect, but very few that actually kill the fun, unless you're the type of person who looks for them: First on my list would be the driving. Racing a car down some jungle roads, with only the keyboard as input is not much fun (even though you do get used to it).

The roadblocks (as have been mentioned multiple times before) do get tiresome after a while, and sort-of kill your chance of just doing some relaxing "sight-seeing".

The damage system, of course, is totally unrealistic (I can put ten 50-cal bullets into a guy, and not only is he still alive, but still has perfect aim!) But then again, this is not supposed to be a military simulation, but a fun game, and since I can take the same kind of damage, it evens it out, and apart from the ridiculousness-factor of it, it's less of a bother than I thought it would be.

So - in a word: I LOVED IT, and am looking forward to A LOT more time on it. After one weekend I'm about 20% through, so you definitely get your money's worth! Not one of those "6 hours, and you're done" games...

My opinion is shifting more and more towards the good part. There are a few things that bother me though, like the really low ammount of ammo you can carry compared to how strong the enemies are is really...well, unfair. But it is nice to know that the enemies themselves can run out of ammo, like this one time, I ran into a shantytown on accident when I was trying to scout. well, that didn't end too well, everybody decided to make my ass their target and they were trigger happy. I managed to kill all but two with all my ammo from all my weapons and theirs, but then I was left with my trusty machette. Suddenly I hear pistol pops, it was pretty sweet to see them run out of ammo too and then I sliced them, heh.

It feels like a poor console-port. Another crappy game, why can't they make it properly?

Wow, is this the only thing you can type about your experience? Console-port, crappy game, make properly?  smile_o.gif Thanks, think this will weigh heavily on my decision if I should buy this game.

I have to agree with Kronzky, very good review! I concluded with the same opinion.

and man you gotta love the animations of the dude every time he pokes his pocket knife into his leg to take the bullet out of the gushing wound.

...I can put ten 50-cal bullets into a guy, and not only is he still alive, but still has perfect aim!...

Actually it's 5.56 SAW mounted on these vehicles in the beginning (thought it's the M2 as well until I took a closer look).

Later it's the M2 .50 cal and even more later on prepare for some Mk.19 ownage biggrin_o.gif

I would agree with Kronzky for the most part, and have also spent the majority of the weekend and today (hurray for snow) playing the game. It truely is one of the best FPS games Ive ever seen, and the African setting is a welcome change.

My only real complaints are actually with the AI. If your sneaking into a base and one guy sees you, everyone in the camp has a tendancy to open up on you all at once. While thats not bad, its the fact that some of these people might not have any line of sight and try shooting you throug buildings, trees, or even multiple buildings. Its really annoying if your trying to play the game stealthy... even with the stealth upgrade 9 out of 10 times stealth will not go over well.

The other big complaint is the lack of a couple features such as needs driven scheduals... the devs said at E3 that NPC's will need to sleed and such, yet no matter what time I go into bases and camps everyones standing right where they are durring the day. There appears to be no schedual at all. Also played up, was the ability to wound enemies with sniper rifles and then watch till their buddy comes to help them... yet its almost impossible to actually wound someone and then when you do all their buddies are too busy shooting you from rediculus ranges with AK's to go and help them. Not sure if its impossible to replicate the video the devs released or not... but its sure as hell hard to.

Of course thoes couple things don't really take much away from how good the game itself is. If you like fairly wide open and free roaming FPS's this is def a game I would recommend.

i miss one thing..

ordinary AI civilians that are in no way related to your missions and such...

just ordinary civilians doing their best to not be in the way wink_o.gif

like, buses driving between the bus stops wich you might meet on the roads, or just other civilans on foot or in cars..

atm im addicted to fallout 3,

but honestly i wasn't impressed at all by far cry 2. The intro made it seem like "wow this is going to be great!" then they just shove you into the game world.

For me at least, its just become repetitive, it like:

Get mission,

shoot 30 people and fight off 10 landrovers chasing you before you even get to your damn objective because everyone hates you in Africa,

kill everyone there,

rinse, and repeat.

I've resorted to taking the bus anywhere i go just to avoid the sheer annoyance of the checkpoints and random people trying to ram me with their hatchbacks.

the animations are cool, but the "pulling shrapnel out with a knife" ones only seem to work in combat, in which case their useless because an enemy will just walk up to you a blow you away, so you usually have to run away and do the much less immersive "shove syringe in wrist, health magically restored" animation.

Reminds me of Crysis, once you get past all the visuals, you look and see that its just the same FPS formula done up in sparkly HDR and motion blur.

Game had a lot of potential, but like most things Ubisoft inherits, they ruined it completely.

atm im addicted to fallout 3,

but honestly i wasn't impressed at all by far cry 2. The intro made it seem like "wow this is going to be great!" then they just shove you into the game world.

For me at least, its just become repetitive, it like:

Get mission,

shoot 30 people and fight off 10 landrovers chasing you before you even get to your damn objective because everyone hates you in Africa,

kill everyone there,

rinse, and repeat.

I've resorted to taking the bus anywhere i go just to avoid the sheer annoyance of the checkpoints and random people trying to ram me with their hatchbacks.

the animations are cool, but the "pulling shrapnel out with a knife" ones only seem to work in combat, in which case their useless because an enemy will just walk up to you a blow you away, so you usually have to run away and do the much less immersive "shove syringe in wrist, health magically restored" animation.

Reminds me of Crysis, once you get past all the visuals, you look and see that its just the same FPS formula done up in sparkly HDR and motion blur.

Game had a lot of potential, but like most things Ubisoft inherits, they ruined it completely.

Consoles ruined this game as well.

I have this for 360, it plays well but the map editor is so absorbing. Ive spent more hours making missions than anything else. Shame theres so many others doing the same, getting your masterpiece noticed is hard.

However the game does have its flaws. I wish it had a single player mission editor like flashpoint. But lack of trigger function and others make it less superior.

BURN THE GRASS< BURN IT ALL,, good fun tho.

Hmm, the game really really lags out for me when a car with an MG hits me!

GRR! The constantly respawing checkpoints are really starting to suck. the game is a bit of a grind, and I wonder how do you actually follow the plot line, I mean this is just oblivion with guns right now, but a lot more grind and where are the main plot missions so I can find this jackal and kill him.

Hmm, the game really really lags out for me when a car with an MG hits me!

Same thing here...

The other big complaint is the lack of a couple features such as needs driven scheduals... the devs said at E3 that NPC's will need to sleed and such, yet no matter what time I go into bases and camps everyones standing right where they are durring the day. There appears to be no schedual at all.

Occasionally, I do see some of them simply chilling out rather than just standing there.

Quote[/b] ]Also played up, was the ability to wound enemies with sniper rifles and then watch till their buddy comes to help them... yet its almost impossible to actually wound someone and then when you do all their buddies are too busy shooting you from rediculus ranges with AK's to go and help them. Not sure if its impossible to replicate the video the devs released or not... but its sure as hell hard to.

I did it once...I tend to wound them a lot but the fight's usually too intense for them to do anything about it. I've also seen them limp and crawl away after being wounded and I've seen the occasional one run away to cower in fear behind a shed.

Bleh, I got tired of the constantly respawning checkpoints, the soldiers that constantly hunt you, the no way around the checkpoints gets old too. It's just too much grind for me.

Yup, same here. Its strange, as I usually love freeform shooters like this(stalker, boiling point), but this just isnt it.

The animations are the best Ive seen in a game, graphics are decent but the fun for me just isn't there. those technical-patrols are annoying too.

Hmm, maybe Ill give it some time.