Sign in to follow this  
Acecombat

Far Cry 2

I just saw an advert for it on TV and it looks awesome - you can go on a safari! My housemate recently brought an Xbox360 and I am looking for a game. Either this or GTA4 I think.

Just a quick question:

Will there be a mission editor coming with it ?

Yeah, my understanding is the editor is only for multiplayer... and only their imposed multiplayer game modes at that. icon_rolleyes.gif

I want to invent my OWN game modes (SP and MP)... FC2 may be beautiful and have a huge game world but imo you can't really even call it a sandbox if they are gonna impose game modes on you!

I've just been reading some comments on the game's forum. It sounds pretty boring to me. Kill some guards at a checkpoint, come back 5 minutes later and they have already re-spawned icon_rolleyes.gif

Too bad, I was really looking forward to it. Even all the talk of a "destructible environment" seems to have been BS.

But you can have fun shooting branches off trees and experience the "RealTree" system tounge2.gif

Think I'll save the money, the PC version of GTA 4 is coming soon smile_o.gif

I played the beginning some minutes ago but i alredy closed it. Its really disapointing in some areas (dump ai and stuff) but perfomance is ok when you tolerate that nostop pops some objects or shadow up in distance.

....and when you tolerate:

- some indestructable small wooden signs (a lot of larger sturdy things are destructable icon_rolleyes.gif)

- bad car steering (far away form any physik i think)

But for such kind of game a uncommon flexible freedom of movement and other things are in there

and of cause a lot of atmosheric objects.

For "normal shooter fans" it may be the an excelent game (alot better than Crysis imo),

but for these who love the features and near absolutly freedom of OFP/ArmA it's just another shooter.

I hate such spawnzones ... the enemy have to bring the troops to the zones to fill them. whistle.gifwink_o.gif

I was surprised by all the little details, I never saw in game before. The way you gold your map and gps, even in the car, steering with one hand. The way you get in cars (open door move in, close it) and going to the gunner seat really moves you there instead of teleport. In general the animations in this game are the best ive seen ever.

And ofc the graphics are outstanding (and it runs fluently on my pretty moderate PC!wink_o.gif

But there are indeed many many bad points, like the dumb AI just pointing at you with theyr smg but not shooting or anything. And the respawning is really irritating. I find myself just racing right trough checkpoints since its boring to attack the same camp over and over.

I've just been reading some comments on the game's forum. It sounds pretty boring to me. Kill some guards at a checkpoint, come back 5 minutes later and they have already re-spawned icon_rolleyes.gif

Too bad, I was really looking forward to it. Even all the talk of a "destructible environment" seems to have been BS.

But you can have fun shooting branches off trees and experience the "RealTree" system tounge2.gif

Think I'll save the money, the PC version of GTA 4 is coming soon  smile_o.gif

i think i will get a lot more fun in GTA 4 then FC2 biggrin_o.gif

There is just one thing that horrified me!!(about that ingame video) That screen did get all red about ten times and what happened, he just took out the bullet and continued. EVEN IN CRYSIS YOU CAN'T TAKE THAT KINDA PUNISHMENT IN THAT NANOSUIT!!! crazy_o.gif

The game has some real issues that dont make it too enjoyable, but the world engine is absolutely amazing! So much foliage, dense and detailed shanty towns.... everything Arma on this "island" would be a dream come true.

Crysis is better if you ask me  tounge2.gif  Even AI is much smarter then here. it is enjoyable enviroment but enemies are easy to kill. For example land rover driving toward you, when the enemy had chance to hit me with the car he stops gets out runs a circle around the car and then starts shooting me  rofl.gif

Ugh. What an underachiever of a game. The "open world" just a string of connected corridors. The AI is laughable. The destructable enviroment is laughable. I can destroy whole shacks with my shitty car but straw packs in this game are made out of reinforced concrete. After getting used to downing soldiers with one shot or two shots in ArmA this game has them made out of carbon fibers or something, because I had to waste some 10 rounds to take down one guy. The story is somewhat interesting, the one thing bothering me is that the Jackal is some sort of Colonel Kurtz wannabe, instead of being Nicolas Cage from Lord Of War. The voice acting is good, but what else is expected. The vehicle section so far is poor, doh.

The graphics do look nice on max and my new rig doesn't stutter, but guess what, that doesn't save the poor expirence.

I'll give it a couple more hours before I decide to chuck it out the window.

Hm, I've heard mixed things about the game.

I know I can't expect a realistic shooter so this part won't surprise me.

What worries me more is repetitiveness which I heard a quite a bit of.

How's that with this?

Starts to sound bit of a Stalker kind game, which was supposed to have tons of good features and such, but ends up to be medicore or even poor on most aspects.

The more I see these mega-budgeted blockbuster titles fail in the AI department the more I appreciate what Bi was able to achieve. I'm worried that advanced, tactical AI may not even be a goal anymore as the masses seem complacent with multiplayer and groovy pyrotechnics in its place. Crysis did achieve some cool things in terms of CQB but anything outside of 50 meters and it went brain-dead.

I don't see severe problems with Crysis's AI. it's main drawback is blindness which starts from several hunderds of meters. From that distance they can't pinpoint players location anymore even if he fires fixed MG (just hour ago i was in that situation). It's bit like in OFP/ArmA. And like in OFP/ArmA should be correctable with one tweak... Or then not, as i'm not 100% sure.

Then again i've had "fun" with Crysis snipers, which are killer spotters.

However i believe fps AI has met new requirements now as indivudual AI has reached quite much what we could expect, they use lean and such... Basically use things as their advantage as average gamer would. I shall post new topic conserning it.

Starts to sound bit of a Stalker kind game, which was supposed to have tons of good features and such, but ends up to be medicore or even poor on most aspects.

I'd say it more like Boiling Point game  smile_o.gif

What the hell are you people expecting really? It's fockin FarCry2, not The Ultimate Guerilla Warfare Simulation 2.

I think it's a rather good single player FPS so far, been playing some 5 hours now on "infamous". Pretty sure I'm gonna rate this better than Crysis when I'm finished.

I agree, the game isnt supreme but sure as hell enjoyable. I say play it its still one of the best games of the year.

It feels like a poor console-port. Another crappy game, why can't they make it properly?

I'd say it more like Boiling Point game  smile_o.gif

Indeed. I haven't played it but remember review about it. They said that firefights are absolutely golden aspect of it, sadly everything else was still at beta stage.

Well lets see what my favorite reviewer has to say about FC2.

I buyed it yesterday because i thought the gfx looks awesome and i wanted to give it a try. Well the gfx and the sfx are really great but in my opinion thats all the game can offer.

The gameplay is boring as hell it keeps you entertained the first 4 or 5 checkpoints after that it becomes a running from A-B game ignoring those checkpoints only to unlock all other weapons.

Game will be put on Ebay next week.

Haha, some people are just haters and really expected too much from this game. I'm enjoying the hell out of it for what it is, not crying about what it's not or what it could be. Sure it could be better but for me it's just like Boiling Point and I can live with that until it gets patched or mods come out for it.

i have a question for you that are playing it...

is it possible to just walk/drive around and doing whatever you like without actually trying to do the objectives?

yes but pesky enemies always driving around and will shoot and chase you if spotted but effectively 50 km^2 explorable with dynamic weather and night/day cycles.

Also have to say the terrain map editor is quite fun.

No, you must at least do side missions to get malaria pills, otherwise it´ll be like: "uaargh.." *drops dead*

It´s an okay game, nothing more than that.

Missions always end up with you traveling from A to B, and if one of your stupid partners comes into play you´ll have the option to bring in point C & D too. But since there´s no special reward involved i mostly skip it and do the vanilla mission.

Using the bus system spares some of the most dull driving around, but it´s already loosing it´s fascination for me.

Having some fun in the editor at the moment. That one really is great!