Sign in to follow this  
awins1

Expansion: Arma: Queen's Gambit

Quote[/b] ]You do realize that the people who are working on the campaigns and the islands have nothing to do with the engine itself?

It's like a stuck record on these forums isn't it. confused_o.gif

Some new features in mission editor were also stated (overview, briefing and scripts will can be created right in the editor). For MP for example online statisctics and charts.

A new expansion....huhh... While all this time all mod devs. are waiting on tools.... banghead.gif .. I am truly disappointed..

Guest Ti0n3r
Some new features in mission editor were also stated (overview, briefing and scripts will can be created right in the editor). For MP for example online statisctics and charts.

Do you have any source? Cause if that's true, then... yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Edit; And why the heck do people moan and cry as soon as we hear something new from BIS? sad_o.gif

It's like people just assume once they get the tools, addons will "magically" make themselves, or they will add quality where there is none. Other than taking advantages of some of the new engine tweaks and binarizing, there is very little that can't be done using the tools out now. Seriously. If you can't make an addon now, having the tools won't help you.

It's quite funny that when I said some time ago 'you can do a lot with existing tools, you don't need the arma dev tools yet to get started' an old member of this community, a respected addon maker, jumped on my throat and ridiculed me like I didn't know what I was talking about wink_o.gif

What comes to the expansion pack and current state of ArmA. Sure ArmA could be more stable. 1.08 seems to not let me play multiplayer, I tried many times and it always either crashed and jammed the whole computer or just dropped the connection about 30 seconds into the missions. So ArmA is not quite stable yet (I have a slow computer too so that could add to the problems, but doesn't explain the crashes in my opinion). I'm looking forward for this expansion pack, it's only positive that we get content created by professionals and don't have to rely on non-professionally made content which often lacks in terms of quality. My best wishes to BIS, have strength to withstand all the complaints, go outside once in a while and don't read too much from the forums during your working day as that is quaranteed to distract your work.

Best Wishes,

Baddo.

A new expansion....huhh... While all this time all mod devs. are waiting on tools.... banghead.gif .. I am truly disappointed..

A separate studio is working on the expansion.. I doubt this is going to slow the release of the tools down.

New island looks great! Exactly what was missing from the original.

More content is always good news. Thanks BIS. smile_o.gif

i really hate these kinda threads..

7 pages in 1 freaking day.

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>Would be nice if the 1st post had all updated/important info!</span>

edit: I smell rat here. I have the feeling that with this damn Expansion will complicate things and will split the hole community alot. Tools will not be released so soon.. in my understanding. If its to improve game play and optimizing game play im all up to it, but if its only to add crap, i rader not have this.

Do you have any source? Cause if that's true, then... yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

RoNoN from Idea Games posted that info on Czech site ""Armed Assault Bulvar" in comments to the expansion pack announcement.

Quote[/b] ]Q: Do the editing tools arrive with the addon, or earlier?

A: As mentioned before, tools time is very near (I know, finally, but we were overloaded by other work, esp. patch 1.08 was extremely big and demanding task for us), there's no relation to the expansion pack either.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1498

So actually, the 1.08 patch is the thing what delayed the tools biggrin_o.gif

yeah Bi is a small team so it takes lots of their resources and time to commit to make a patch. smile_o.gif Chil lguys chill, things will work out.

I've edited the subtitle of this thread to make it abundantly clear: like every other topic on these forums, spam and flaming will NOT be tolerated.

Apologies to those who can already post like civilised adults.

Maybe we will see some of the promised features for ArmA in the expansion?

Things like coop campaign, wildlife etc.

Too bad we have to pay for the things that was marketed as already in arma 1.0.

I sure hope that they will update current arma so that it is compatible with the expansion pack, and not like ressistance. They can't really expect people to buy an expansion pack just to fix the already bought game so that it is playable. I don't even think that is legal here in Denmark.

Info about the tools is great news, that is great. Thankfully makes some of my earlier concerns fall. It's beginning to smell not like some kind of moneyscam but more like they really wanna give us some quality time in ArmA singleplayer. Let's hope they will release it as just that - and won't make anything exclusively in MP in this expansion, so that they won't be compatible (That would really smell like a money-scam).

I'm soooo skeptical about it huh.gif

I really, really hope the campaigns will be better...

but when I see "massive battles" - kind of adverts, I imagine the guy beside it, sitting there with his little embarassing complex, adding more and more MBTs on every square kilometre of the map,

"more! more! moOOre!".

It's just like they don't realise, that one is just enough to kill you, and enough to force you to be affraid...It's just a matter of mission design, that's all...

why so many people expect camapigns instead of fixing engine ?

you have mission editor, you can do your own campaign , you do your own mission, be more creative, than just siting in the chair "BIS give me mission"

in games like RTCW, MOHAA, COD adding own missions and stuff was very difficult, in OFP or ARMA not !

so don't expect from developer things that other man can do for free

if i pay, i wanna see really more realistic engine

but engine is not the thing that addonmaker /missionmaker can fix

we can do new island, like to OFP, new units, weapons

but we cannot do something to avoid CTD or HDR errors

and we cannot do something to make bulletproof properties of materials (like working vests, like wall that stops 7.62 bullet, but not 12.7 mm)

in ARMA we can destroy M113 or BMP with 5.56 rounds, nonsense ! 2 box from M249 and M113 or BMP is in fire

in real life 5.56 bullet cannot harm armored vehicle, but 14.5 or 20 mm bullet goes through steel of APC and kills crew

i wanna see it in game that is advertised on box "most realistic battle simulating system" i hope in expansion such things will be added !

wild life would be nice candy too,

my expatation for ARMA was - to see old good OFP but on better engine and better environment, OFP had some lacks that i was hoping will be fixed in OFP , some of them of course were fixed (killing water, multi turret and some more)

but still 2 shots in hand kill man :/

@ Vilas : the expansion was outsourced, therefore it didn't have any impact on game fixes. Why come back on the subject time and time again ?

Islands are so easy to do ? Well, I have yet to see a fully populated island not being 98% desert or without trees floating around, coherent cities, new buildings. Even with the tools out, it takes time. So yes, we shall see quality islands from the community in some time, but in the short term, it's a very welcome addition imho.

Same for campaigns : one single story-driven mission with nice intro/outro/briefing/music/voices... is doable, sure, but it takes time too, therefore quality campaigns with over 13+ missions will always be scarce. Anything worthy in that area is valuable.

Oh, and at last, many people don't have problems with the engine (sorry if you do) and not only play MP, therefore they are happy to see more SP content for an already working game.

you have mission editor, you can do your own campaign , you do your own mission, be more creative, than just siting in the chair "BIS give me mission"

in games like RTCW, MOHAA, COD adding own missions  and stuff was very difficult, in OFP or ARMA not !

and we cannot do something to make bulletproof properties of materials (like working vests, like wall that stops 7.62 bullet, but not 12.7 mm)

in ARMA we can destroy M113 or BMP with 5.56 rounds, nonsense ! 2 box from M249 and M113 or BMP is in fire

in real life 5.56 bullet cannot harm armored vehicle, but 14.5 or 20 mm bullet goes through steel of APC and kills crew

i wanna see it in game that is advertised on box "most realistic battle simulating system" i hope in expansion such things will be added !

my expatation for ARMA was - to see old good OFP but on better engine and better environment, OFP had some lacks that i was hoping will be fixed in OFP , some of them of course were fixed (killing water, multi turret and some more)

no offense, but speak for yourself, OK? i know you're heavily into editing. and that's good. but not everybody is. not everybody finds it fun to work through tons of documentation scattered all over the biki and elsewhere. if you already know the editor from OpF, it makes things easy in ArmA. but if you don't, it's still hard.

editing is not for everybody. most people buy a game to play, not to build the content themselves. only a few people in the community are modders/editors. the majority just wants to play.

ArmA is a game. and it was advertised as a great singleplayer experience. it is not, that's why we hope that the expansion delivers what the main game lacks.

besides, there is currently not a great deal of quality user made content available. some is due to the lack of tools, some not. there aren't many (good) campaigns or SP missions around.

i know, i also suffer of lack of missionmaker, really hard working person to cooperate, because engine was still crashing (untill 1.08) i couldn do even one single mission to my addons (game crash after 20 minutes), now seems to be okay, so many missions in 1985, 1944, 1970 will be soon and

people like You would have possibility to play new missions, they will be long and in 1985 atmosphere (black ops must go into the base, put charges, or sniper leading the way for convoy looking for AT soldiers near road, or recapture of city or others)

what concerns islands, it is not so hard, i made some islands to OFP too, of course it took some weeks of hard work, but for OFP community made very big number of super super islands, even more realistic than Cain, Abel, Eden , in such expansion i would love to see Everon, Malden, Kolguiew again to put in it CWC campaign (no matter BIS or community released)

believe me it is not so hard to use wrptool for OFP or O2

so if game was not crashing before 1.08 you would have many missions on your PC, because since 1.05 release till 1.08 release my ARMA was out of order and after 20 minutes crash or no-texture and reset PC

i also enojoy missionmaking, but engine must give me possibility to play more than 20 minuites, now it seems i have such possibility

in games like RTCW, MOHAA, COD adding own missions  and stuff was very difficult, in OFP or ARMA not !

im not sure that you understand how buisnesses work, BIS can make engine fixes in patches, but who will make the patches if the company makes no money, the company makes money by relaseing games and expansion packs, as its only a small buisnes they only can work on one game at a time so they need to release expansion packs to make the money to keep the buisness going. a normal everyday gamer like myself wants a game that you can install and play imediatly without downloading addons, most players wouldnt buy a game that is just a engine or that fixes the engine, these should come free but for them to come free they need money, which comes from expansion packs.  

its a vicious circle, i am a mission maker, going to try my hand at addom making at some point but its a big learning curve for someone to buy it.

people that are complaining that they need engine fixes need to think about one thing, if BIS was to go bust who would make the engine fixes they need? the answer no one. Just support BIS and they will support us in return!

the things that you seem to want are in VBS2, if you want them get VBS 2, they wont be in ARMA cos noone would pay for VBS2 then would they. some nice bits and pieces would had to be left out of arma so that VBS2 would sell. most of these things will come from the community anyway.

Vilas, calm down. BIS is making the fixes, some other team is making the expansion. Don't sweat it.

arma great sp? Imo everybody that at least played ofp knew arma was going to be more focused on making mp work better, thats at least how i felt. smile_o.gif

in games like RTCW, MOHAA, COD adding own missions and stuff was very difficult, in OFP or ARMA not !

Still hobbyist made missions are what is lacking in ArmA. There plenty of re-textured addons and such, but missions (expacely for SP) are rare... And mostly seems that they are "black-opping-behind-enemy-lines-heavily-outnumbered-evac-goes-bad"-missions.

Still Ambush and others BIS made missions for OFP are in the front line of best missions for OFP and why is that? Because BIS had resourses to make missions with somewhat realistic setup, good quality voiceacting and good script for mission + many other things that my kind amateur can't even think of to be valuable things for good mission/atmosphere.

How about missions in OFP? Excuse me, but: Crap- and average-class mostly. I myself belong to same group: my missions can be considered to be crap or average... even when i've edited missions for several years and i like to play them (which doesn't mean that most would)! But simply i don't have the focus, team of voiceactors, other missionmakers as backup or education to mission making... so mission can be good in one aspect (in my case mission's setup which tries to reach realism) but lacks other areas complitely (in my case that is voiceacting and cutscenes).

For ArmA there is not yet gem missions and that is VERY big lack in game. No Ambush-like missions which can, almost must, be played thru tens of times, because mission itself is so good. And campaign doesn't seem to gain too much praise too (am i the only one who likes it?). Engine can be screwed if there is no flesh (permium-class..- not crap-class) on the bones and that flesh is missions to most people. So hopefully expansion is great.

Maybe we will see some of the promised features for ArmA in the expansion?

Things like coop campaign, wildlife etc.

Too bad we have to pay for the things that was marketed as already in arma 1.0.

I sure hope that they will update current arma so that it is compatible with the expansion pack, and not like ressistance. They can't really expect people to buy an expansion pack just to fix the already bought game so that it is playable. I don't even think that is legal here in Denmark.

Info about the tools is great news, that is great. Thankfully makes some of my earlier concerns fall. It's beginning to smell not like some kind of moneyscam but more like they really wanna give us some quality time in ArmA singleplayer. Let's hope they will release it as just that - and won't make anything exclusively in MP in this expansion, so that they won't be compatible (That would really smell like a money-scam).

Im totally on the same page here with you espectro. Which IS why I saw this as a bait and switch (which would be illegal)

When Arma (without an expansion) has all the features they said it would have in pre release, then all is well. If they need finacial and community support, then releasing the tools before or maybe even with the expansion would be a sign of good faith. But it would be very silly of BIS (business wise) to release tools before an expansion for obvious reasons. Which is why my knee-jerk reaction to this news was skeptical.

So here's my pledge, I bought not one but three copies of Arma and gave one to someone who wasnt going to play the game and now does. If what is said is true and tools are released before or with this expansion, I promise to not buy only 1 but 3 copies of this expansion just to give to others who wouldnt. How's that for support by a bitchy whiner? You want to be loyal to BIS, great. But do so where it counts cause brown noses don't keep BIS in business.

arma great sp? Imo everybody that at least played ofp knew arma was going to be more focused on making mp work better, thats at least how i felt.  smile_o.gif

no. i loved OpF because of the singleplayer campaign. the same with Resistance. naturally, i expected ArmA to deliver a great SP experience. i did not expect that much of a focus on multiplayer because ArmA was never advertised as having full stat tracking and persistent online profiles, which it does indeed not have - unlike true multiplayer games like Battlefield 2 and Joint Operations.

Hi,

Good news! I'm very happy. smile_o.gif

The 2 most important things are according me:

1. Less bugs than possible

2. Realism

Please, no more higth tech weapons for SLA army.

BTR-70/80, BMP-1, Mi-24, Su-24, Mig-29 should be include in the upcoming expansion...  wink_o.gif

A decent airfield for SLA air forces could be usefull too. smile_o.gif

Anyways, I'll support BIS because they did and do something unique.

Thanks BIS