Sign in to follow this  
awins1

Expansion: Arma: Queen's Gambit

Someone most 'veterans' of this board may know of, and have respect for, had this to say on the current ArmA situation, and I think he hit the nail right on the head...

Quote[/b] ]

BIS had similar problems with OFP when it came out and had to be patched. But for Arma, there's no excuse. With OFP BIS was a first time developer and had what could be considered an overbearing publisher who wanted the game out the door ASAP. With Arma, BIS was their own publisher. And they made the exact same mistakes they made with OFP - releasing a game in a shoddy, largely unplayable condition that still requires months (if not years) worth of patching to become fully functional for a majority of users.

There's no excuse now.

And this is coming from me, a longtime fan of OFP (I bought my copy from the UK long before it was available in America) and anybody who knows me knows that until recently I was very active in the OFP community. Armed Assault killed any goodwill that I had toward BIS. With Arma, they made the same sh**ty design decisions and have the same sh**ty customer service that kept OFP from becoming the game we all wanted it to be.

Thank God for the modders with OFP - with almost nil support from BIS, they made a diamond out of silicon. And yet here we are, with a whole new game engine and a BIS that knows damn well how important the mod teams are, and they still pull the SAME GODDAMN S**T THEY DID WITH OFP - and don't release the tools!

It's horses**t and it shows a total lack of respect for the players - old and new - of Armed Assault.

Nice with a expansion and all...but what this community needs are modding tools.

The vanilla OFP never appealed to me and my friends. Sure we played it when it first was released, but pretty fast we lost the interest in it. Shelfed it.

Suddenly mods started to pop up and the diversity was amazing. One minute you could fight in the World War Two:s european countryside(Inv44), the next being chased by VC through the hot and damp jungles of Vietnam (Sebnam2,VTE) and the next fight in the US Special Forces in the streets of an African city in the middle of a civil war(Tonal Redux) and all this within the same game and only a couple of mouse clicks away!

Im one of the founders of a local LAN "club", that holds a voluntary LAN party every Saturday(24hours) and Sunday(18hours). From only being 6 members we expanded to a total of 70 members and the most newcomers joined just to play OFP, because of its diversity. Total chaos for awhile with computer and such but we managed to pull it off. We tried to switch the servers to Arma but after awhile we got a outrage in the club to switch back to OFP. "Sure it looks nice and all but it gets to boring, we want diversity" was the answer we got about why. So we switched back to OFP and VTE 0.3 for the moment.(Personally I liked playing ArmA on LAN, but I got into the minority group.I can also understand what they mean.)

Im no expert at this(or anything else for the matter help.gif ) but :

Mod Tools=Diversity=Appeals to more players=People buys the game, sales goes up= BI rules thumbs-up.gif

Not sure if it works that way, but...well it worked like that here in our LAN club with Ofp biggrin_o.gif . Well this was only some thoughts out the top of my head, take it for just that. wink_o.gif

(I also realise that the game is quite "young" and maybe need some more time to mature before mod tools. Just dont wait to long. Like I said Im no expert, so I leave it to them to judge.)

OblivionX

this night, i'v playing for the first time whith my team, xml, ... i want just say that we'll by extention because BIS team doing the best game as usual smile_o.gif

thank BIS for all that hard work inlove.gif

ps : but plz no cow boy style for the mercenary :d is like 60's legionairy biggrin_o.gif

If the expansion contains vehicles such as t90,t80,m1a2,bradley,bmp3,superpuma,nh90,chinook,apache etc it would be perfect.

Someone most 'veterans' of this board may know of, and have respect for, had this to say on the current ArmA situation, and I think he hit the nail right on the head...
Quote[/b] ]

BIS had similar problems with OFP when it came out and had to be patched. But for Arma, there's no excuse. With OFP BIS was a first time developer and had what could be considered an overbearing publisher who wanted the game out the door ASAP. With Arma, BIS was their own publisher. And they made the exact same mistakes they made with OFP - releasing a game in a shoddy, largely unplayable condition that still requires months (if not years) worth of patching to become fully functional for a majority of users.

There's no excuse now.

And this is coming from me, a longtime fan of OFP (I bought my copy from the UK long before it was available in America) and anybody who knows me knows that until recently I was very active in the OFP community. Armed Assault killed any goodwill that I had toward BIS. With Arma, they made the same sh**ty design decisions and have the same sh**ty customer service that kept OFP from becoming the game we all wanted it to be.

Thank God for the modders with OFP - with almost nil support from BIS, they made a diamond out of silicon. And yet here we are, with a whole new game engine and a BIS that knows damn well how important the mod teams are, and they still pull the SAME GODDAMN S**T THEY DID WITH OFP - and don't release the tools!

It's horses**t and it shows a total lack of respect for the players - old and new - of Armed Assault.

Yep, he sure did hit it.

It is getting tiresome, really.

Quote[/b] ]Rahmadi Conflict: The true conclusion to the original ArmA story

Ok, I'm interested... good to see new stuff coming soon *opens up a bottle of CHAMPAIGN* yay.gif I guess if I already bought the game I might as well pay a little extra to make it complete smile_o.gif

But... I fear the Mercenaries' chronic dress code disorder may be incurable (seriously, wassup with the hippie (Truth from GTA:SA) looking dude?)

Other than that, more scenery, more tanks, more story.... what the other guys said.

What do you guys think about what appears to be zombies in one of the campaigns (see strategy informer's night screenshot)? I think it's a bit OTT for an official campaign crazy_o.gif

What do you guys think about what appears to be zombies in one of the campaigns (see strategy informer's night screenshot)? I think it's a bit OTT for an official campaign crazy_o.gif

There are zombie skins in the original game already. I guess they've been wanting to do it all along but didn't get round to it until now.

I'm actually glad they're making something a bit different again and not just another grunt campaign.

What is the point of an expansion of something that doesn't work properly? If I've got cancer, I don't need a facelift and liposuction.

What is the point of an expansion of something that doesn't work properly? If I've got cancer, I don't need a facelift and liposuction.

What if the facelift and liposuction comes with free chemo therapy?

This is getting ridiculous - next person who wants to turn this thread into a spamfest or bitch and moan session will get a +1 WL and a week's PR.

Stay ontopic.

Quote[/b] ]

There's no excuse now.

Yep, he sure did hit it.

ditto!

release the tools and we will be glad to support BIS with more copies purchased thru more people playing it. For crying out loud, I ended up with a crap load of OFP and resitance CD's. I didnt mind supporting them because they were doing something unique, but this is just nonsense releasing an expansion before the game itself is even working as good as OFP does with mods.

You want support, try asking the community straight up and show good faith by releasing the tools and then beg for cash from us afterwards. You may be surprised. Heck, I would throw $50 bucks at BIS on a promise to fix the obvious stuff with continuing patches, but to do it this way makes me feel BIS is trying to pull a bait and switch on us.

There are zombie skins in the original game already. I guess they've been wanting to do it all along but didn't get round to it until now.

how come everybody thinks they're zombies? those are just the genocide victims from the campaign, aren't they?

how come everybody thinks they're zombies? those are just the genocide victims from the campaign, aren't they?

Exactly. Besides, in that night screen they look like ordinary civilians to me. You can't really see them clearly enough anyway.

Unless there is some other night screen where they clearly are zombies?

Some people try to make up crap whatever chance they get tounge2.gif

Those queens gambit screens really remind me of that piece of crap called Soldner, boy was that S*** rofl.gif

I'm not particularly keen on mercs or private military contractors as there are now officially classified, especially ones wearing shorts or funky village people style headgear.

But relax folks I'm sure BIS will clear things up a little, as they are well aware that their community are baying for the Arma mod tools to be released asap.

Or just bums as I said it before smile_o.gif

They`d better add animal as promised wink_o.gif

Im glad the mod came in and gave a warning. Many people here were behaving exactly like whiney kiddies from CS/BF2 that they like to criticize so much.

Taking on the role of mercs or PMCs or whatever is different and refreshing, something enjoyable can be made out of this new expansion its in its early stages now so lets see how it goes. And also BIS isnt finished with ARMA yet either, they are still working on bug fixes and additional content, some of you people are all to ready to slice their throats for no good reason. confused_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

instead of buying another disc with some addons, let they giva us tools, we will made more than one island, we will make new soldiers and more

let they work on engine, not reskins of UH60 to desert, McNools, me or any other addonmaker will do it in some hours

OFP had no-cd working possibility , i wish to see it in ARMA

if i spent a lot of moeny on silenced PC, listening of DVD noise in drive and waiting 15 seconds of checking "orginal disc" is very annoying

Quote[/b] ]

There's no excuse now.

Yep, he sure did hit it.

ditto!

release the tools and we will be glad to support BIS with more copies purchased thru more people playing it. For crying out loud, I ended up with a crap load of OFP and resitance CD's. I didnt mind supporting them because they were doing something unique, but this is just nonsense releasing an expansion before the game itself is even working as good as OFP does with mods.

You want support, try asking the community straight up and show good faith by releasing the tools and then beg for cash from us afterwards. You may be surprised. Heck, I would throw $50 bucks at BIS on a promise to fix the obvious stuff with continuing patches, but to do it this way makes me feel BIS is trying to pull a bait and switch on us.

It's an announcement for a futur product.

Does it mean there will be any support and patch in the meantime? No.

Does it mean the tools won't be released in the meantime? No.

You're basing all your anger on assumptions and... well, on nothing, tbh.

As for BI not supporting the community, I just LOL.

They may not be the best in that department. They are certainly not the worst.

me or any other addonmaker will do it in some hours

I'd like to see you or any other building a new Sahrani in some hours, even with proper tools.

Really.

I'd like to see you or any other building a new Sahrani in some hours, even with proper tools.

Really.

Very unlikely.

They most definitely put a lot of work into this expansion pack. New units, two new campaigns and a whole new island don't just appear over night.

I just wish there was a release date. Not saying I want it now, but I'd like to know when to expect the expansion, and how it will be distributed.

Really.

So would I.

Especially stuff with working shadows, decent texel resolutions, normal maps and what not rofl.gif

It's like people just assume once they get the tools, addons will "magically" make themselves, or they will add quality where there is none. Other than taking advantages of some of the new engine tweaks and binarizing, there is very little that can't be done using the tools out now. Seriously. If you can't make an addon now, having the tools won't help you.

Has anyone ever stopped to even consider why they aren't out yet? They want to sell an expansion, they want to probably pimp VBS2 more as well as customization and custom terrain databases. Releasing the tools early will do them more harm than good financially. Why buy an expansion when there are already lots of mediocre addons out there that can fill the void. If I'm a mil customer, why pay to have custom terrain databases when I can try to make my own and save $$$, or better yet, why buy VBS2 when I can buy ARMA behind the scenes, modify it and use it instead... Darwars Ambush 2.0 ?

To add something to the topic, my opinion of things depend on if the units involved are Mercenaries in the traditional sense or if they are modern PMCs like we all know. Are they Dogs of War or are they tricked out security guards in 511 gear.

"Especially stuff with working shadows, decent texel resolutions, normal maps and what not "

i saw your few posts and in every you are bitching me with some irony instaed to be on topic, do your own addons instead trying to put something on me personally

what concerns quote made by Whisper :

quote more than half of sentence

BIS show us on screens:

- UH60 in desert skin

- some existing units reskinned and for exapmle 4x4 pickup with PK mounted

- soldier with new helmet (US M1)

McNools, me, Rel. made some reskins of existing models to desert, so now BIS made UH60 ?

but as for the moment only in my addon - choppers are using weapons against land target, people still say they have problems, because Mi17 or AH6, UH60 don't fire unguided rockets, well i fix this some months ago and my chopers are using rockets

so what i will see in expansion ? another skin of choper which is not firing , but is sand instead of green ?

there was some treads on forum like "i put MI17 in mission, but few soldiers fired it down, and Mi17 never fired single rocket at US column"

such things can be done very fast, when i have tools

open model of pickup, paste pole , paste PK model, make selection, make memory LOD points, make config of car with MG and addon is made

or made model of M1 helmet, open solider, delete previous helmet, paste new helmet, addon is done !

expansion like shown on screens is for me "just pay for another addons"