Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

for your third one, it is looking nice. will you do all rooms entrable? or only some pieces?

My intention is to replicate it from the game as best as possible atleast in terms of rooms so everything will hopefully be accessible minus the entrance to the underground catacombs.

This would actually be my second structure, the first was the utility shed I posted a page earlier.

However it was an earlier version, the biggest difference was the "Cleanliness" of the mesh, the second would be the next upgraded version and this would be my third if you count the remake.

sweet looking Wolverine! inlove.gif you even got little dirt spots on the legs! notworthy.gif

Nice house too, Arma needs all civilian and objects it can get to enhance the game. smile_o.gif

yay.gif YES!! Finally some buildings!!! yay.gif

Will you be making some middle eastern houses too?

Anyway notworthy.gif

yay.gif YES!! Finally some buildings!!! yay.gif

Will you be making some middle eastern houses too?

Anyway notworthy.gif

If I have any luck with the shed and Derceto then I suppose I could give it a try, I'd be willing to make them to contribute to your map. Do you by chance have any particular ones you'd ike me to try?

And thanks for your comments on the Wolverine Commando84, I try to add in what details I can. The texture is only 1024x1024 so it shouldn't be much of a system hogger either.

Quote[/b] ]shed and Derceto

Hmm not sure if I follow, what do you mean?

Anyway, generic Arab/Iraqi houses is what I need, even better if they have rooftop access with high walls, think VBS buildings.

I would be EXTREMELY happy if you'd contribute with some buildings to my map.

Derceto is the name of the 'mansion' I modelled, from Alone in the Dark 1.

This is the shed or bunker if you prefer, not sure which way to go with it yet but it does have a version with some underground ways, the top part is on a modelled hill of land with the underground inside of it.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8393/shed1dwirehb0.jpg only 626 polies or 1,206 tri's.

I'll do some looking into it and see what I might be able to do with the ME style structures and examine the images of VBS2's to get an idea of what I'm trying to go for.

EDIT:

Not a huge update but alittle somethin. I had some time to work on Decerto's interior today, I'v been constantly reviewing the games interiors and tried to match things up as best as possible, thus far mostly everything matches. I had to do some modifying to the exterior mesh to fit some things, currently the room that is the most innacurate is the kitchen, it shows a longer room but also a different window so either Decerto is not mirrored on both sides (unlikely) or the designers made a flaw (more likely), similar to comparing the intro image of the mansion to the ending sequence front image and the interior, the three don't match up as interior conforms to the ending image rather then the first, so I don't worry about that much.

exshow1qk5.jpg

And without the exterior mesh

extsho2kl5.jpg

The rooms adjacent the staircase as you can see, have nasty clipping errors, I'll resolve this by upping the stairway a bit or by lowering the ceiling height of either rooms.

The two sets of double doors at the entrace will have rooms adjacent to them as well, right leading to the ballroom and left leading to the cigarette room (ingame there is a ever burning cigarette that'll kill you if you don't put it out with water)

I'm in debate on wether or not to use the two sets of double doors in the small hallway before the foyer, they were not openable ingame but I might make use of them. The foyer has three doors and one free doorway.

The door infront of the staircase will NOT be openable, this led to the cellar, unless Derceto is modelled on a bit of a hillish landmass or something such as that it is doubtful the cellar will be 'unlocked'.

The door to the right of the foyer leads to the garden room, I'm going to have some fun with this as I have to model a female statue with a small deer next to her, a quiver on her back (You got the arrows from this location). Again the double door in this room was not used but it might be used.

The left door at the foyer leads to the kitchen, which will have two smaller rooms within it and another leading to the dining room. There is still plenty of work to do on the first floor and I have three more to go.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5264/angldextpn2.jpg

And an angled Perspective image of the current, hopefully final exterior mesh, the chimney's were raised and windows spaced from the front door, window added above the front door, entrance area mostly flush with the rest of the front now due to interior modelling misalignment, now fixed and the mansion made longer.

Yeah no kidding @.@ no I learned that with the refinery that you don't do UV map everything but instead, mirror wink_o.gif

Since the house has a general pattern to the rooms I'm thinking I'll just made a simple texture for certain parts and mirror it on each part, for the floor I'll make a sort of small texture that I can tile.

For example, the entry hall all the way to the foyer uses the same tile pattern, and since I won't have to worry too much about dirt, I'll just make a 256x256 or 128x128 texture and tile it.

The cigarette room uses a wooden floor, similar to the floor leading to the ballroom and the third floor hallway, entry hall and foyer room use the same wall pattern, etc.

There are a few methods I can use to save myself time and performance.

For the doors I'm just going to use the full image of the full door since the front and back are the same minus the entrance. i'd use normal maps for the door but since Arma blots out normal maps in shadows (And I'm honestly worried about HDR) I'll just have to use the full model of the door, which isn't really all that complicated anyway, the doorknobs are a simple cylinder of eight with its center point dragged out just a bit.

All in all I'm doing this because I always wanted to model Derceto but also for the experience, incase a mod leader I'm working with wants me to work on structures, I'll have an idea of what to do without using many textures. I also want to experiment with specular maps to try to get a normal map feel since Arma doesn't show normal maps in shadows, and since no light other then the moon or sun effects them and how they show along with shadows, interior lights will do little to help me, thus its likely only the exterior mesh will have a shadow and only exterior textures will have normal maps while interiors have none.

At the moment the floors are all connected to doorway points and whatnot so I can make sure verything lines up, when the time comes I'll delete all of this and replace it with a simple 1 faces plane, should save a good amount of polies.

Aaand another somethin I tossed together in an hour or so, had a few breaks in between, trying to work on speed and what have ya. I'm not really sure where this will go and its very early WIP, the building has plenty of things to add onto it, its based off of the Abakh Hoja Mosque, polycount currently 1,243 (Do note I did NOT build it with as many optimization plans as Derceto) and yes the top does look like a certain female body part...workin on changing that...

expie4.jpg

yes the top does look like a certain female body part...workin on changing that...

lol...

it looks good man! biggrin_o.gif

I cant wait to GBU that!

Some kool iraq based missions can come out of that! biggrin_o.gifthumbs-up.gif

oh please for the love of god add a little mini 'nipple' spire on top of the dome biggrin_o.gif

Hey hey now, lets keep it clean shall we? :P Anyway...the image is as I said in exceedingly early development stages, though for now it and Derceto are being moved to the back of the line, got more important things to press forward and I need to stop distracting myself before I upset the mod team members.

Folks, the forum rules state the allowed image size is not to exceed 100kb. Lets have some respect for these rules please.

banghead.gif

My PMC/Guerills/Insurgents .. (beta status) in game... wip...

imag3vh9.th.jpgimage1ho6.th.jpgimage2zm8.th.jpg

Here are some WIP Pics of an Afghanistan based map I've started working on:

afghanmap2fx6.jpg

afghanmap3jj5.jpg

afghanmap4jl9.jpg

afghanmap5hz3.jpg

And a Cave system I'm trying to set up, still working on the roof though.  tounge2.gif

afghanmap1ry8.jpg

nice!

make sure you add some more greyish parts and lotts more green spots.

ghan isnt that muddy smile_o.gif

nice!

make sure you add some more greyish parts and lotts more green spots.

ghan isnt that muddy smile_o.gif

You are right Neph,

If you take a look in the link below you can see Afghanistan has a very big variation in how the terrain looks.

Vegetation map

Still trying to work out the whole texture thing to make it look good as I haven't been at it for very long, but I'll try. smile_o.gif

Little update on the Supacat.

Finally got the minigun done, meaning UVs/lods/O2 setup etc.

Some info:

RES LODS (mix of poly and tri)

LOD1: 2631 points - 2147 faces.

LOD2: 2460 points - 1998 faces.

LOD3: 1817 points - 1404 faces.

LOD4: 1098 points - 893 faces.

LOD5: 585 points - 464 faces.

LOD6: 412 points - 310 faces.

LOD7: 258 points - 188 faces.

LOD8: 138 points - 80 faces.

ShadowVolume 0: 2777 points - 5030 faces (tris).

ShadowVolume 4: 976 points - 1708 faces (tris).

ShadowVolume 8: 108 points - 148 faces (tris).

Might make an other ShadowVolume LOD. Not sure if an empty LOD is required as past a certain distance you don't need shadow.

PS: Is it normal the Shadowlods (4 and 8) aren't casting in RES LOD +4 and LOD +8? Haven't put the weapon ingame to check...

Piccy time:

Modo view for wires

minigun_modo.jpg

and a bulldozer view (shadows)

Minigun_O2.jpg

UVmap:

UVminigun.jpg

Finished unwrapping my MK19 aswell, but no time yet to start the LODs etc...

Some credit goes to BIS as i used they MK19 as base. Most stuff has been redone though.

An inbetween pic:

MK19_ambientOcl.jpg

Bit offtopic, but does anybody knows more about the minigun muzzleflash setup? I noticed in the BIS model (thanks Synide) that they didn't include a muzzleflash geo/texture structure. Not sure if it has anything to do, but there is a cilinder (placed sideways at the muzzlehead) witch has the 'damagehide' and 'trup' selection names. Beats me what it does...

help.gif