Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

The black colours are too black...

Yes, remarkably so. One's eyes just slide off those T-shirts!

Remember; "black" clothing is never really "black".

"its just a really really dark shade of blue only priests clothes are really black" Father Ted

I used to paint model soldier figures as a hobby. I even won

some awards for it too back in the day. Painting convincing

white clothing or black clothing used to be an art form all by

itself. I could extend that to say "white is never really

white and black is never really black". I assume it's much

the same when texturing.

ya im still working on colors , its just a wip so far been toying with dozens of color combinations. im actually thinking about scrapping the project, a guy i know named hund has ruined it for me.

ya im still working on colors , its just a wip so far been toying with dozens of color combinations.  im actually thinking about scrapping the project, a guy i know named hund has ruined it for me.

Nah, don't scrap it all just because someone else may be

doing similar stuff. You could see it as a chance to put your

own unique stamp on them. Your SF troopers look authentic

enough judging from the photo you posted (the "buttpacks"

worn on the front do look a bit unusual though - aren't there

others you could substitute?).

Never mind the trivial nitpicks about the colour of holsters

and the use of the term "green berets" and stuff like that!

You could post perfect, photo-realistic models on here and

someone would likely still complain that they don't have any

dirt under the fingernails or dust in the welts of their

boots!  nener.gif

You could post perfect, photo-realistic models on here and

someone would likely still complain that they don't have any

dirt under the fingernails or dust in the welts of their

boots! nener.gif

I prefer the word, 'critique'. It adds legitimacy to my cantankerous ranting.

Hi Neon, sorry nobody could help you at OFrP but glad that you found somebody wink_o.gif

Looking forward to your T90

As Nephlim more then often said: please do wireframes

This Model looks nice but will have to much vertics etc.

As Wolle said:

This place is not for discussions and only comments.

I am wondering sometimes to see a whole page without one WIP picture

PS: I am also looking foward to see a T80 ...

Would be more interisting for me to get the vehicles from CWR so they are done... as to wait "like 1944" for the whole MOD.

Think you all know what i mean :-)

We need something against the M1 now and fast ;-)

As Wolle said:

Would be more interisting for me to get the vehicles from CWR so they are done... as to wait "like 1944" for the whole MOD.

It's a high poly model. The wireframe doesn't matter. If he wants to display it as a wireframe in his portfolio, then it would matter. If he just wants to pull normals off of it, it really doesn't matter one bit how he made it. He could have booleans all over the place and so long as the shaders weren't distorting, it should be alright.

thanks xav smile_o.gif

Yeah its the begginning of high poly version to get the normal map

As Wolle said:

It's a high poly model. The wireframe doesn't matter. If he wants to display it as a wireframe in his portfolio, then it would matter. If he just wants to pull normals off of it, it really doesn't matter one bit how he made it. He could have booleans all over the place and so long as the shaders weren't distorting, it should be alright.

+1 I think people should read what was said in the original post and not go of on one just because a wireframe isn't present. 'Oh noes it can't be his he must of stole the model...'

I like it. I've always been a fan of Russian stuff smile_o.gif

i wonder who of you will now get snarled at...

im definately tired of this immaturity...

awesome screenshot

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

My Sarcasm sense are tingling smile_o.gif

Yours only?

That boat is a butcher or an turkyshot for the SLA?

Please, chage their position, make them sit or something, they are über exposed like that.

Besides that the texture looks low detail. As a simple black fill. No detail or anything in it.

Dunno, are you sure it's OFrP work? AFAIK their work was superb.

dob: I don't exactly know what you want us to say about your screenshot. If you're not looking for feedback from artists then you ought to post it in the photography thread or make your own thread for your boat.

There's nothing I can really tell you here except that the scale of your metal floor texture seems to be a bit large, if that is indeed a metal floor. Each of those pletes looks to be about the length of a finger. They should be about half that size.

Icebreaker: in this light, it's difficult to tell what's going on. The colour of the black uniform seems to be reading well. It looks like there is vertex shader problems which lead me to believe that there's topological problems with your model. There isn't enough detail in the form of geometry for the top of the head, he appears to be a cone-head. Normal maps will get you out of a lot of trouble but they will not alter the silhouette of the model.

In terms of design, I feel that the design is a little weak. There's a lot you could do with an alien in terms of silhouette. The head looks not dissimilar in shape and size to a human head, which gives the appearance of a simple retex.

All in all, nice textures (in this light), but there are definitely some design and geometry issues to tackle.

Please, chage their position, make them sit or something, they are über exposed like that.

That's the way soldiers must be, They are astride the seats to avoid shocks.

equip03.jpg

this is supposed to be a member of the german KSK , he  might become a playermodel somewhen , but that depends on if i want to make a highpoly and bake it .

of course he lacks stuff like a radio , and some additional pouches on the bag , but it's WIP ....

10.5k tris all-in-all , not optmised yet , ca. 2.3k tris for the head alone

kskwip3lowut4.jpg

kskwip4lowko4.jpg

i'm not happy with the shape of the head yet , gotta change it ... this is my first character ever , by the way  

max

You should be aiming around 5-6k for a character model mate. Looks good except for the head,I think part of the problem is that his neck and head at the back are straight. IRL the neck curves inwards slightly. Also the neck itself is perhaps a little short. Edit: Also, the Chin is really wierd.

The silhouette is very static, and you have about 2ce the number of tris that you should. There are quite a few opportunities for optimization, though, since a lot of the detail you have on there isn't working very hard for you. I see you've sidestepped the whole doughnut ear thing, though, which is good.

I think that you would have a much easier time getting the look you want by making every poly work for you by setting each in their place before adding any more edge-loops, and never adding any detail that you don't need. For instance, the arms seem to have way too much detail (and certainly the head).

I'm not sure if I can hotlink to 3d total, but check out the edgeloops on this Joan of Arc character. I'm not suggesting that you model with this method, but definitely look at the meshflow:

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/head1.asp

If you can't get in that way, go to 3dtotal, look in free stuff\tutorials\complete projects\Joan of Arc. It will allow you to model a with much better form in many fewer poligons.

thanc for comment, its a wip screen smile_o.gif for beta coming soon at the end the peps in cargo are siting smile_o.gif but i need enderstand how modify rtm, next step are textures and details, ...

@yep that's the hold one smile_o.gif done for OFP

thanc for comment, its a wip screen smile_o.gif

Ergo posting it in the WIP thread for crits, right?

yes and comment help me lot of  wink_o.gif

just for remember tounge2.gif

43856_1.jpg

now:

p5.jpg