Sign in to follow this  
CameronMcDonald

1st Infantry Division

Yeah, I know all about you 3ID loons. tounge2.gif However, I'm fairly sure it's possible to include everything in a single PBO, however, as my good friend Wolfrug pointed out, it's likely to be prodigious in size, unless of course I can get my hands on the tools and do some work with hiddenselections, which is what I did for my ole OFP ACU troops, so I have quite a bit of experience with it. The more I consider this option, the more attractive it seems, excepting that having large polycount models with +2 or more loadouts could become CPU-prohibitive, AFAIK.

Yeah, I know all about you 3ID loons. tounge2.gif However, I'm fairly sure it's possible to include everything in a single PBO, however, as my good friend Wolfrug pointed out, it's likely to be prodigious in size, unless of course I can get my hands on the tools and do some work with hiddenselections, which is what I did for my ole OFP ACU troops, so I have quite a bit of experience with it. The more I consider this option, the more attractive it seems, excepting that having large polycount models with +2 or more loadouts could become CPU-prohibitive, AFAIK.

That sounds excellent. Looking forward to your project being complete. notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

On a side note, would you have anything against someone making a replacement pack addon for your 101 Airborne units?

I know it would drastically inflate the size of the addon if I do it the way I'm planning to do it, however, having a range of different ranks etc with each type would make it easier for mission makers especially to simulate true life operations.

I was originally planning to do what you suggest, however, because ranks are very prominent on Army uniforms it irritates me when I have to use a rifleman model with an E2 badge when I've ranked him Major or Captain ingame.

Thanks for your opinion, mate. Anyone else got 20c AUD?

My Clan did this... made uniforms with specific nametags and rank for each player in the clan.  The one thing you have to realize (if you dont already) is that you can only fit so many unit slots in one catagory, from what I understand.  For example, if every soldier class had its own rank, then you would need a pbo addon file for each rank... such as, 1ID_Private, 1ID_Corporal, 1ID_Sergeant, etc, etc.  Then in the editor when one wanted to pick a BLUFOR unit, the list would look something like:

Men

1ID_Private

1ID_Corporal

1ID_Sergeant

... all the way down the list.

Its actually not a bad setup/idea, as long as you dont mind going the extra mile.  When a replacement pack is done on this type of addon, it would just be a matter of choosing which rank you wanted to show in place of Arma's default soldier class.

You just need to change the model and texture name. My (unreleased) 82nd Airborne pack has tons of different ranks and RSSI combinations, all in one very very large pbo file.

Yeah we know, but reading the thread would let you know that there is limitations in the way textures and models associate, plus our inability to set hiddenselections.

Links for replacement don't work. Also, there is an error after I download the ACU's.

@Navy,

Use the 2nd link(the Armaholic.com mirror). If the ACU ain't working, download again from that 2nd link, it takes you directly to armaholic.(Look all the down towards the bottom of the page, There's 2 FTP's to try.)

Next, for the ACU replacement pack, look just below the 2 FTP's I referred to above.

You'll see "See also:Downloads / Addons / Replacement Packs / ACU Replacement Mod". Click on "ACU Replacement Mod" and you're golden.

About unrelised 82 post same pic, and maybe a relise to the comunity. And if not a relise then at list a pic plz.

Keep up the good work.

Huh? Explain further.

Also please don't take offense to that. I'm not taking a shot at your English. I understand completely what you mean but I think you may be in the wrong topic. I'd like to see the 82nd released also. In the 3rd ID topic, I believe he said he will release it.

Good news. I've been working on the infantry, a little bit.  wink_o.gif

The ACH rides again.

achij5.th.jpg

Have also been working on MOLLE loadouts, though no LBVs are available yet. Thinking of changing the CamelBak to a better model, as well as the medic backpack.

Ran into a little problem - our friends from BIS failed to keep their example model's skeleton intact. God knows why, but all my work now has no animations. Sheesh.

I have however, gotten the newer models ingame, although they're just half buried in the ground. Here's a pic - like I said, no LBVs added yet, but probably in the future (if and when I can get my hands on a fully-animated BIS model, of course).

101new.jpg

How is the performance? Do your models use more polys than the one's from BIS and what about LOD?

Well, they have more polys, but not by all that much, seeing as all I'm doing at this point in time is cutting + pasting. Performance, therefore, should be comparable to vanilla BIS units. For example, in the most detailed LOD,

BIS grunt: ~8500 faces.

My WIP grunt: ~9600 faces.

At this point, I'd say this wouldn't cause much CPU karkage, though due to the above limitation <sigh> I haven't really tried a big kahuna of a battle.

Of course all of my work will be LOD'd down, to a mere ~340 faces at the lowest point. smile_o.gif

EDIT - Got units moving. All is well. Continuing work. biggrin_o.gif

animsry2.th.jpg

Keep it going CAM....now that we have the tools all the good mods come out and get updated!

Oh thank God!

It's good too see that you're still working on this, Cam. It's one of the few mods/addons that enables myself to continue enjoying ArmA.

These WIP's you have Mr. CameronMcDonald are awesome!  notworthy.gif  Awesome to see some new stuff being added to the models!

yay.gif

You WIP is excellent and I really dig the quality and close attention to detail of your work, CM.

I would like to point out that the link to your unit replacement has been down due to 'site maintenance' for a number of days now. When you have time, or if you modify that unit replacement for your next version, please consider re-hosting that file if the site is still not working.

edit: I'm slightly confused, but I think I'm barking up the wrong tree. I don't know what that link contains because I can't access it, but I'm beginning to think that I should be talking to CSL. If that is the case, please ignore this post!

Then units look fantastic although I have one small critique which is on the helmet. It looks a bit more like a larger PASGT helmet (no longer used except by the Iraqi Army and a few other countries). The MICH helmet rides a bit higher on the head and is a bit more compact it seems. However maybe its just the angle at which the picture was taken that makes the in-game helmet look a bit larger. Anyways... just something to perhaps check out closely. Other then that it all looks first-rate.

Good job!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Thanks for the critiques, guys.

As for the ACH, I've been using a reference model by the good ole DSA group, and I think I've gotten it about as realistic as possible at this point in time, though I'll certainly keep working on it. Perhaps it was the angle; I'll try and get some more screenshots up of it if I can. I'm fairly sure it's the correct dimensions, however, and it's quite different from the PASGT, I assure you (no "visor-like" lip, and no massive rear bulges). wink_o.gif

Btw, I really need someone proficient at modelling + UV mapping to help me. What I need wouldn't take any more than 30 minutes for a skilled modeller, and I can handle the textures myself, naturally.

@Plaintiff - I think FileFront axed my files, so I might just redirect all the links to ArmAholic for now. smile_o.gif

I'll do my best. I also want to get the catseyes glowing in the dark, where they're used. smile_o.gif One little update, I'm still working with just the single model for now, but I've made an addition.

- Note to self - ask for permission to TQP before release.

Groin.jpg

...heavily armoured 101st troops survey the market area. smile_o.gif