Sign in to follow this  
CameronMcDonald

1st Infantry Division

yep working now, testing testing 1 2 3

Arrr, it is I once again! Well, I have been doing some (more) work on these units as a break from the monotony of university study, and started some pre-emptive work on the new IOTV. For those of you out of the loop with the IOTV (which included me up until a month ago), there's a nice descriptive article here. In any case, until I can change the model, it doesn't look OK, since the new vest comes down an extra 5cm (2 inches) on the back, but the way normal maps help is amazing. In any case, I'll put some pics up soon (there's a crap one over at the CBT photo thread).

This is top-notch, Cam! It's nice to see a accurate unit replace those highly inaccurate stock models BIS included.

Thanks mate, I'm glad you like it.

Well, here's that somewhat better pic of the IOTV I promised. I'm a comparatively shite screenshotter, so I'll get more crap ones up soon. Normals and the textures themselves are done, it's damn frustrating not being able to change the models, but this should tide me over until I can do some polyraping.

IOTV

Oh, and work on the SF continues, though I'm about to enter exam block, so I may take a while - my apologies.

Thank God...

The default flak jackets are not only incorrect, but they're also not in tune with the current gear in use by the US Army. Keep up the good work matey!

1. Wrong, wrong, WRONG. There are many types of flags in active use, and the one I have chosen (an IR reflective, non-subdued patch) is plastic, not stitched, and thus has no outline. It was provided by olemissrebel, respected forum member and real life Airborne infantryman.

2. I know. Trust me, I've done my research. And the game is actually using AAPV USMC helmets, not PASGTs, FYI. smile_o.gif

3. I'm working on an IOTV already. See above.

4. Maybe. What pins?

5. It's a fictional vest. And unless you'd like a zip-up vest that looks like an Interceptor OTV, it ain't going to happen until I have tools to work with.

6. I know. Refer to points 2 and 3, as well as the addon's readme ("...wearing incorrect equipment"). Can't be helped until the tools come out.

I've covered all these points somewhere in the thread +/- readme, no need to remind me. I'm probably the most tuned-in bloke on these forums when it comes to US Army infantry equipment.

SF are being worked on, however, I'm currently busy clearing up loose ends, including getting my innoculations current for deployment, as well as amalgamating weapon packs. Remain tuned.

Glad you like them, good to know they're liked.

Why would BIS use a USMC helmet, if the BLUFOR side is US Army? Did BIS even have a military advisor?

I can't answer the rest but:

Why does the army have ah1-z's, and six pointed soft caps instead of apaches and round soft caps?

The answer is in debate, but one things for sure, they're wrong about a lot of things. I think the problem arises out of plain simple confusion.

I've noticed confusion in this area when talking to people from various countries about the us mil. It's especially dominant in smaller countries. It seems to me that they have trouble with the concept that the different branches are entirely seperate entities that are only linked at the very top most levels. It's probably due to smaller militaries in their home countries that either only act as one body or are much more integrated than the US military is by necessity due to size.

I think that's why you see stuff out of foreign countries about the US mil that ignores the branch divisions so much. Take for example the ofp CWC campaign where sam nichols moves from flying attack helicopters for the army to flying a-10s for the airforce.

In the example of arma, it seems there is some confusion about the relationship of the army and marines. It almost seems that they think the marine corps is a specialized sub section of the army or even integrated with the army, when in fact it is a sub section of the navy.

Well, the US Army does'nt use AH-1s anymore, but the USMC still does. I was really disapointed when ArmA had so many incorrect gear. And the tools aren't out yet, if they ever will be.

The army never used the Twin Cobra family of airframes though (ah-1w and ah-1z), as in the army the whole cobra line was replaced with the apache line. Active army anyways. I know the guard still had ah-1fs in service as late as 2001, probably still have them.

I think the reason why there is marine equipment in the game lies in the campaign. I'm not sure, I never played the campaign, but IIRC the marine elements in the game came to Sahrani for the rescue.

IR flags are great, they're not used by everyone yet, but with changes occuring to AR 670-1 every year, I'm sure at some point they will become mandatory on deployments and field problems.

Clav, what's the prevalence of subdued IR flags these days? Do many of the boys have them, or are they rare to find?

Any more ACU units in the pipe mate?

Cheers

Stew

Subdued flags aren't generally accepted in the regular army, but they're more common amongst the sof community in my experience. It's going to be different based on unit SOP, and I don't recall whether or not AR 670-1 specifically authorizes or does not authorize the subdued flag.

When I'm in garrison, I wear the standard cloth flag, but on deployment I wear the full color IR flag. I might purchase a subdued flag at some point just in case, but there aren't too many scenarios I can think of where a full color flag can spell your doom. In the sof community, I have that option because our uniform standards are somewhat relaxed.

I am a 25Q, which is a dying MOS, so if I decide to re-enlist before Jan I will have to re-class. Doesn't bother me considering I haven't done anything related to my MOS in almost 2 years.

Like I said, the stitched flag is the standard, and the other flags will depend on unit SOP. In my personal example, we are authorized to wear the full color IR or subdued IR flag on deployment and field problems, but it's generally accepted and preferred to wear the cloth flag in garrison. Though we are allowed the other flags, they are not issued because they're extra rather than standard and the Army is only required to issue the bare minimum.

If the bad guys have NVGs, as some do, then they will see more than our flags. They will see our NVGs and lasers, so honestly, the patch and tab aren't the only concern. Even if that was a concern, you could just take the patches off, right?

Anyways where is Cammy? BTW isn't Cammy an Englishman?

Cameron is Aussie, mate. wink_o.gif

Interesting read you have, guys.

Yeah, if you like ripping off a sewn IR patch. lol Just kidding.

"IFF Tab", more like "i'm over here high-tech bad guy! Tab" lol

Anyways where is Cammy? BTW isn't Cammy an Englishman?

I mean, don't most infantry guys in the field, like Iraq, wear stitched flags most of the time?

I mean, I wanted the ACU units to have stitched flags in the addon, if thats possible ol' C-man.

You do realise the IR square is concealable, right? Again, the enemy seeing your IR flag patch isn't your biggest concern because they will see the reflected light on your nods first and possibly your laser long before you are within LOS.

If you are implying that the flag patch is sewn onto the uniform itself, then you are wrong; if not then disregard this sentence.

Quote[/b] ]I mean, don't most infantry guys in the field, like Iraq, wear stitched flags most of the time?

I don't know if you're just not reading what I'm typing, or what. Like I said, again, the cloth patch is standard. Standard means that it is almost always right in regards to the wear and appearance of the military uniform. In the Regular Army, apperance is the priority of many SNCOs and OICs, you can deduce from that what you will. The only real variable is unit SOP, if the SOP says you can't have an IR patch then you had better not get caught with one, if it states that the patch is soldier's discretion or platoon leader discretion or whoever, then that opens up the possibility for their wear and usage.

I don't know what "most infantry guys," wear because I am not an infantryman, perhaps one of the several infantryman on the board can provide a better light on their unit's SOP, but my team's interaction with infantry is generally that they provide perimeter security around the OBJ for us to work in. They could wear bright orange signs for all I care.

McDonald,

Do you plan on doing other Infantry units?  Like MPs, or 3rd Infantry Division?

ColonelSanders,

Do you plan on making a replacement pack for the 101 Airborne Units Addon?

Sorry for not replying to your PM mate, I was really busy all this week with RHS + personal work.

I plan on doing other divisions and units, certainly, as well as making units with a different rank for each model type (e.g. Rifleman - E2, Rifleman - E4, etc etc) but I don't really think I'd be wise working on the troops until the tools come out and I can give them some true customisation. I think I've got the camo almost correct, but the models shit me off, and I hate that USMC gear. I'll definitely be adding 3ID though, they'll make good companions to 1ID, so fear not. biggrin_o.gif

At the moment I'm simply working on making a customised weapon PBO with all the good weapon addons out there. Whether or not this will ever lead to a mod I cannot say... wink_o.gif

Sorry for not replying to your PM mate, I was really busy all this week with RHS + personal work.

I plan on doing other divisions and units, certainly, as well as making units with a different rank for each model type (e.g. Rifleman - E2, Rifleman - E4, etc etc) but I don't really think I'd be wise working on the troops until the tools come out and I can give them some true customisation. I think I've got the camo almost correct, but the models shit me off, and I hate that USMC gear. I'll definitely be adding 3ID though, they'll make good companions to 1ID, so fear not.  biggrin_o.gif

At the moment I'm simply working on making a customised weapon PBO with all the good weapon addons out there. Whether or not this will ever lead to a mod I cannot say...  wink_o.gif

Instead of making the same units with different rank (e.g. Riflemen E2, Riflemen E4), would it be wiser (and easier) to just have each soldier type with a different rank dispalyed on their uniform. (e.g. Rifleman is E1, Grenadier is Corporal, Squad Leader is Sergeant, Sniper is SSgt, Engineer is Sergeant, Team Leader is Capt, Pilot is Lt, etc).

As a user of your Addon, I am not sure how I would really get alot out of having the same class with different rank. On the other hand, it would be nice to see the different units with various rank based on their class. Plus, I would like all the units to fall in line with the default classes so that a Replacement Pack Addon can be done to mirror the default units, like in your 1ID addon.

Just my 2 cents as a user/consumer of your great Addons.

I know it would drastically inflate the size of the addon if I do it the way I'm planning to do it, however, having a range of different ranks etc with each type would make it easier for mission makers especially to simulate true life operations.

I was originally planning to do what you suggest, however, because ranks are very prominent on Army uniforms it irritates me when I have to use a rifleman model with an E2 badge when I've ranked him Major or Captain ingame.

Thanks for your opinion, mate. Anyone else got 20c AUD?

I think most people with small groups (up to section level) - so maybe rank badges aren't that important?

99% of the time, I play with 5 or 6 in a kind of "SF" patrol...so ranks wouldn't mean that much to me anyway...

I also prefer using the character with sleeves down - I can't stand the 3/4 sleeve guy!

So yeah, I'm not too fussy wink_o.gif

My AUD 20c!

I might be verymuch mistaken, and if so pardon me, but didn't for instance FDF back in OFP feature customizable ranks? I.e., simple patches on their arms which could be changed to any (or most) finnish army ranks wiiith...one of the settexture-type commands? If it worked in OFP, it's bound to work in ArmA : how about researching that instead of physically making 50 models with minor cosmetic changes for realisms' sake? biggrin_o.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

Mate, I know how it works, I'm limited however by a certain lack of tools. tounge2.gif That's why I don't bother releasing the units at this point in time, and have basically halted work on them until I have some major progress to show on them.

EDIT - However, I was also tossing up the idea of throwing in some major cosmetic changes (e.g. different gear loadouts, LBH customisations, etc) to the units with each change in rank, so for example an E2 rifleman looks almost totally different gear-wise to the equivalent unit one or two rank grades above. Though it may not be possible in the early stages when I recontinue work, due to the lack of other people's work to borrow, and I'm a shite modeller. confused_o.gif

I know it would drastically inflate the size of the addon if I do it the way I'm planning to do it, however, having a range of different ranks etc with each type would make it easier for mission makers especially to simulate true life operations.

I was originally planning to do what you suggest, however, because ranks are very prominent on Army uniforms it irritates me when I have to use a rifleman model with an E2 badge when I've ranked him Major or Captain ingame.

Thanks for your opinion, mate. Anyone else got 20c AUD?

My Clan did this... made uniforms with specific nametags and rank for each player in the clan. The one thing you have to realize (if you dont already) is that you can only fit so many unit slots in one catagory, from what I understand. For example, if every soldier class had its own rank, then you would need a pbo addon file for each rank... such as, 1ID_Private, 1ID_Corporal, 1ID_Sergeant, etc, etc. Then in the editor when one wanted to pick a BLUFOR unit, the list would look something like:

Men

1ID_Private

1ID_Corporal

1ID_Sergeant

... all the way down the list.

Its actually not a bad setup/idea, as long as you dont mind going the extra mile. When a replacement pack is done on this type of addon, it would just be a matter of choosing which rank you wanted to show in place of Arma's default soldier class.