Solus

SLX Replacement Pack, Mod, and Addons

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Imutep: Thanks!

paragraphic l: Thanks! Good to hear the optimizations are working! The SLX vehicles are available in the editor, even in WGL, if you're making your own mission. Another update might have a WGL 5.12 config with the SLX vehicles replacing the default models with WGL effects working on them too. Maybe I'll port some of this stuff to ArmA when I get it.

Kroky: I have made no changes to AI accuracy in any of the mod configs. Please read answer 7 in my reply to V.P. below.

nubbin77: Thanks for trying the mod and having the interest to modify it! Here's the commented drop array, which is in SLX_ShotFX.sqs under the muzzle smoke entry:

;drop [shapeName, AnimationName, Type, TimerPeriod, LifeTime, Position, MoveVelocity, RotationVelocity, Weight, Volume, Rubbing, Size, Color, AnimationPhase, RandomDirectionPeriod, RandomDirectionIntensity, OnTimer, BeforeDestroy, Object]

So to change the size find the size entry and change the values there:

_d={drop [{\SLX_Cloud\ExplosionDirt},{},{Billboard},2,1+random 1,[(_pos select 0),(_pos select 1),-0.4],[0,0,2.5+(random 1)],2,25,1,1,Size->[.2,(_speed*(.001-random .0005))]<-Size,[[.85,.73,.57,1],[.85,.73,.57,0]],[0],0,0,{},{},{}]}

The default is:

[.2,(_speed*(.001-random .0005))]

Which starts out at .2 meters and grows to the speed of the shot at the last update before it hit, and then multiplied by some values within a small randomized range to change the speed into the final size. Also remember that different weapons fire at different speeds, so a pistol will make a smaller effect than a rifle, so take that into consideration when finding a good size. The speed value is in feet per second, but the initspeed for weapons in configs is in meters per second. MPS to FPS. Most rifles should fire at about 1000 mps, which is about 3000 fps, so you can try multiplying that by the default multipliers to find how big the end effect is going to be and find how big you want the multiplier to be. If you find a good multiplier it would be nice if you could share it and let me use it in the next update so everyone can benefit from your research. :] For references you can find some videos of machine gun shoots at YouTube and Google Video. Try searching for keywords like "shoot", "machine gun", "machine gun shoot", etc. Also Dslyecxi has some pictures from a machine gun shoot he was at here.

USSRsniper: Thanks! I thought about using the "rating" command to find out how many enemies a unit killed so that the enemy would consider killing them when they were injured but I never got around to implementing it, maybe in a future update.

triumph: Thanks! Yep, things are much more difficult for small teams versus larger forces now because the AI forces know that they outnumber you so they will try and hunt you down and kill you. I suggest "hit and run" tactics. Try crawling into the grass, then going into a crouch and firing off a shot at a target, then go prone immediately after firing and crawl away while the enemy searches the area. Then find another place to shoot from with a good concealed escape route and repeat until your mission is accomplished. This tactic will probably take a long time but maybe you can think of something to give you an advantage over the enemy.

Q: Thanks for the mirror and the WGL 5.12 config! That way should work too, also make sure that you run OFP with -mod @WGL5;@SLX so the original WGL config isn't used over the modified one. I tried YouSendIt for the very first upload but it stopped working after only a few hours. I'll try rogepost.com from now on, thanks!

456820: Thanks for the mirror!

Kyle_K_ski: The config included in update 1.06 is the WGL 5.1 config, like Q said. So you should be able to try it out with that.

punishment: Cool! So it looks like it's working somewhat in MP, what mod were you using, if any ? This might help in figuring out what's wrong in WGL, or maybe it was from the WGL 5.1 config being used in WGL 5.12. For the grenades, maybe it has something to do with arming launched grenades in midair. The floating weapons might be from dropped weapons not being affected by physics in MP. Or did the dropped weapons eventually fall to the ground when whatever they were standing on moved away ? That's normal. For the "1 follow 1" things, were you critically wounded ? It sounds like when critically wounded AI squad leaders are replaced by the second in command, but it shouldn't happen to players, maybe it has something to do with the "player" command in MP not detecting you and thinking you're an AI. For the random trajectories, was he shooting his SVD on a windy day? Maybe it was actually the wind blowing his shots around. Or was this in MP and it really was random ?

froggyluv: I didn't add bayonets or hand to hand in most of the configs, but you could do that on your own if you want to try. The hand to hand feature is especially easy to implement, just copy the "StrokeFist" ammo class and weapon class from the default SLX config to your other config and replace the old ones. For bayonets you can copy the entire section at the end of the cfgWeapons class to your other config, then replace the regular rifles in the basic loadouts with them, and remove one of the loadout's magazines and add the bayonet magazine. Check out the SLX config to see how it's done. For the slide animation, just search for "ninja" in the default SLX config and copy that section to the end of the other mod's cfgMovesMC States class and it should work.

V.P.: Thanks for the feedback.

1. Try pressing 0-1 to say "1, ready" if there's some text by your icon. The AI's are probaby thinking you're busy doing something and won't follow you if you've got text there.

2. Probably scripts for AI that are getting run for your squad, future updates will try and get rid of most of these.

3. Are you sure you weren't just shooting on a calm day, or were firing into or with the wind ?

4. Sounds like the FFUR effect, nothing to do with SLX fire. The SLX fire only has secondary explosions when the vehicle has magazines. Every secondary explosion on the SLX fire is one magazine exploding, until there aren't any more. The SLX secondary explosions usually aren't that powerful. Civilian vehicles shouldn't have any magazines, except possibly a horn.

5. That is from the hit effect being "estimated" because an exact location calculation would be too expensive. To have bullet effects directly on bullet craters for most of the time, open SLX_GL3_Settings.sqf and change SLX_ShotFX from 1 to 2. Be warned that this may cause crashes in large firefights, or high lag situations and will possibly reduce FPS a little. Another update might have even more accurate estimates.

6. The AI's should only garrison buildings from the mission start or in combat. I tried to account for most situations when you wouldn't want them to but it's not going to work in every situation out there. Try disabling GL3 in the settings sqf to play missions that are broken by features.

7. I didn't change anything about AI accuracy in any of the mod configs, and GL3 shouldn't give them any higher skill by default. If the AI's are too accurate in another mod, it's just how they are in that mod. Perhaps they only seem more accurate because they are more aggressive. Try turning your terrain detail up to high or very high so you can take cover behind the micro terrain and not give them as many chances for their bullets to hit you.

supershooter: Can't wait to see the next movie! biggrin_o.gif A further update might have more accurate hit effect estimates. Also, the estimations are affected by lag, so the hit effects will be further away in high lag situations. Or you could try setting SLX_ShotFX to 2 in the SLX_GL3_Settings.sqf to have more accurate hit effects sometimes. But it sometimes crashes in high lag situations or large firefights so be careful with it.

Julian: Thanks! Sorry it's crashing. :/ Is it in SP or MP ? There are still some unresolved crashes so it's not 100% stable but should work for a while at least. Further updates will try to improve stability.

Edit:

Profe: Thanks! The captives might be getting ordered out by the leader of their squad. Try hunting down any last units of your captive's squad and killing or capturing them, then try getting them into vehicles. If the unit is the last unit in their squad already then you'll have to go on foot or leave them behind. A future update might have a modified captives system and be more reliable for transporting captives. For the phantom orders, it's probably an AI script. A future update might fix it.

Just wanted to express how awesome this is again.

One thing though, hostages don't seem to want to get in vehicles when they are following me. Also sometimes the player will start giving out orders when I'm not issuing anything.

" For the slide animation, just search for "ninja" in the default SLX config and copy that section to the end of the other mod's cfgMovesMC States class and it should work."

Worked like a charm! I'll try the Bayonet's next.

Hey thanks for clarifying Mod order for WGL, I was throwing configs around like frisbees in all the confusion

biggrin_o.gif

SLX_Replacement_Pack_Mod_update_1.06.rar in courtesy of ofpc.de and WGL  smile_o.gif

WGL5.12_SLX_config.rar

rename the existing config.cpp in @SLX\bin to slx_config.cpp

copy this config.cpp in the @SLX\bin folder - NOT in @WGL5\bin

be sure to have the right order of loading the mod-folders

ps: solus use these two for hosting instead:

http://www.rogepost.com/

http://yousendit.com/

Q

Im getting an error on the 5.12 config. Preprocessor error. I copied it into the slx/bin folder. Left the config alone in wgl5/bin

I agree with VP. There are some issues remaining such as he mentioned.

Also, the SLX/FFUR hybrid is a strange and mysterious creature. I get some of SLX effects and some of FFUR effects, but unsure which. huh.gif

Thank you very much Solus but I dont understand howcome no transparent water ?

I just realised the hypersonic boom's where missing huh.gif

They're gone in SLX 1.6 (+WGL/+FFUR2006) can't hear them anymore huh.gif

they really added some intense atmosphere.

Did you delete them or do I have to search if something is still in?

I took a month off of playing or doing anything with OFP and came back to check this out. Boy I have to tell you using this with FFUR is really really enjoyable. I am having a blast with OFP again. Almost like a different game.

I am having one bug though. With the binned version of the lite FFUR SLX config, I can't select grenades. When I hit the spacebar it goes from single, burst (or if I have an AK to full) and then to knife, then back to single - I have grenades in inventory but can't get to them. Anyone else have this problem? I 99% sure its all installed and I didn't mess with anything much - everything else is great.

SLX_Replacement_Pack_Mod_update_1.06.rar in courtesy of ofpc.de and WGL smile_o.gif

WGL5.12_SLX_config.rar

rename the existing config.cpp in @SLX\bin to slx_config.cpp

copy this config.cpp in the @SLX\bin folder - NOT in @WGL5\bin

be sure to have the right order of loading the mod-folders

ps: solus use these two for hosting instead:

http://www.rogepost.com/

http://yousendit.com/

Q

Im getting an error on the 5.12 config. Preprocessor error. I copied it into the slx/bin folder. Left the config alone in wgl5/bin

i also get config error

EDIT

config error solved when putting @slx first in shortcut properties and other mods after. just like in the readme. silly me.

Back again,

Before I had my game crashing to my desktop, but now applying the patch or upgrade, the game no longer crashes, just some feedback.

On another note, while I was playing the slx replacement pack, mod I really should say, I had an idea, and the idea is, if your with a squad and lets say your fighting, and so on, what if it was possible somehow that in your action menu on the bot right were to list 2 actions in which you can call apon a few fellow solders,

to either have covering fire, for you, and or come with you outside the squad to your aid, under your command, or not but at least to your aid, they would follow you and engage the enemy behind the lines.

So the one command or action would be "covering fire", the other would be "support" support involves, 1-3 soldiers depending on the status of the squad.

I know its possible, this game has proven that, but whether anyone is interested in such an idea, really my idea represents an concept of what we can add to make the game more exciting. anyways I really enjoy this mod.

Keep it up. smile_o.gif

Solus I just noticed the improved effects when I was flying and firing from my su39 (JAM) and I gotta say bravo they are just fabulous and the most realistic ive seen. Keep up the amazing work.

gunterlund, twisted, paragraphic l: There will be a WGL 5.12 config in the next update, hopefully it will work for you. I will add my supersonic snap/crack sound in, although the new WGL one is nice too.

Universal: Thanks! Please read all of my previous posts and look at the picture I posted. I have already explained why I'm not going to try making transparent water. The transparent water mod works already and I don't want to mess up the dxdll reflection effect.

paragraphic l: I don't know why it's not working for you, I just checked and it's deffinitely in Q's WGL 5.12 config and in my FFUR light effects config.cpp. Very loud sounds can drown out almost everything else sometimes, maybe it has something to do with that. Also it's sometimes hard to tell the crack from the gunshot sound when you're firing your own weapon. Try being a squad leader and go into the command view and zoom out then fire your weapon and it should be easier to tell if there's a separate crack sound.

nubbin77: Thanks, glad you enjoy it! I'll check it out and update the configs in the next update if I can reproduce the bug. Try using the config.cpp for the time being and see if that works.

Julian: Good to hear it's working for you! I was thinking about having a suppressive fire system that would make the AI's shoot at where some of the enemy was standing a moment ago. I don't think they need to be told to suppress by the player, they should be able to do it on their own. For support, it sounds like something ECP already has, try playing around with that and see if it's similar to what you want. In ECP you can get units without a squad to join your squad. I was thinking of having something similar, and make it so squads that have taken losses can join together to increase their strength. Maybe a future update will have something like this.

Edit:

william1, Shashman: Thank you, I'm honored! :]

Shashman, froggyluv: Quite odd that the crack sound is missing for you, I'll look into it.

froggyluv: The Tonal Redux units use their own init event handler to get the custom faces working I think. To get GL3 working on a unit that has it's own custom init event handler and doesn't inherit the default ones you have to manually exec GL3 on them. There is more info about that in the GL3 readme, but basically just put "this exec {\SLX_GL3\SLX_Init_GL3.sqs}" in their init line and see if that works. If not, try "[this]" in the first part. Unfortunately since GL3 has to be exec'd manually it won't work in missions or campaigns unless you modify them yourself. You could easily convert any mission to use GL3 with the trigger method explained in the readme. I might look into a way that addons can be made GL3 combatible without needing GL3 to be installed to use them, so units with custom init event handlers could work with GL3.

congratulations Solus , this thread has more answers than FFUR one and almost the same number of visits , that will give you an idea of what you have done with your Mod thumbs-up.gif

Yeeeah congrats on the well deserved success of your mod, Solus!  thumbs-up.gif

You're proving to be one of the most helpful, courteous, dedicated, skilled and polite OFP modders I've seen so far  smile_o.gif

I just remembered that yeah, I was wondering where my supersonic cracks had gone after installing update 1.06  huh.gif

I noticed that the super-sonic 'crack' is definatly lessened now in WGL - it's still there but it doesn't have that hypnotizing melody that was both pleasing and frightening at the same time.

How do you get the GL3 to work in mods without Bin/Config's such as Tonalredux? I tried the Mod=@SLX;@Tonal which carried over a few elements but not all.

Quote[/b] ]Im getting an error on the 5.12 config. Preprocessor error. I copied it into the slx/bin folder. Left the config alone in wgl5/bin

yeah sorry. i was talking nonesense. goodnight.gif

you need to exchange the config in @WGL5\bin of course AND have the correct loading order (or rename the config.cpp in @SLX\bin)

sorry again banghead.gif

Thanks for clarifying that Q. Now everything works with WGL 5.12 and SLX 1.06!

I'm really happy to see the two mods combined.

I think anyone who didn't try to play OFP with

FFUR/SLX and WGL/SLX has missed the most important developments in OFP!

A question:

Is there a replacement mod (or pack) for the vehicles in WGL?

For the units I use the RYAN models. But they change only the units and weapons but no vehicles, right?

@Solus

Would you please for the next update of SLX implement the AI Join feature like it is in ECP?

(It sometimes helps to finish the missions and gives you a chance to play it totally different)

ECP found a good balance of this feature by allowing the player to join other units only if they are lower ranking.

I.e. I played yesterday the campaign Yankie Stalker on freya island. In the mission when the Deltas are leaving the rangers and the regulars to watch a bridge, my leader tells me and my 3 other buddies to get in Humvee. We all get in (leader is the driver) we want to start, but then the terrorist attck the rangers and my buddies get out again of the vehicle to help out the rangers. Which is very good. I think GL3 makes them to get out of the car and not to stay in and to watch their teammates get killed. But then they don't get back in car. My squad leader tells me to get in but my buddies stay out, and the leader who is supposed to drive to the next mission target just waits for them and nothing happens. If I had the AI join command in SLX I could make them join me, then order them to get in car and then after getting out of the car release them to my squad leader.

So what I want to say is:

AI join command in SLX would give the player a tool to fix some missions where GL3 makes the ongoing of the mission impossible.

Please tell your opinion about this Solus.

And if you're not willing to implement it for some reason, then please tell me how to do it for myself.

A small bug report for SLX 1.06:

When a squad member is told to hold fire and another squad member attempts to drag/heal a teammate, this squad member is automatically told to fire at will even the player didn't give this command. Maybe you can fix it.

I just tested the WGL+SLX config and its great but i found 2 things that may need a slight adjustment. The first thing is the Winddrift of bullets. Its a bit too strong i think. The second one is the fire. It does not look as it should i think.

But anyway. Great work. Thank you Solus and Q

One advise for everybody that want to use a different sky pack than the one which is included in SLX:

This is the easiest way of doing so:

Just put the mod folder of your favoured sky pack at the end of the Exec command. This way you don't have to change anything in the Dta folder of @SLX and you don't have to replace or install any files. You keep your SLX install untouched.

In example I doing it this way:

"C:\Program Files\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE" -nomap -nosplash -mod=@SLX -mod=ffur2006 -mod=!myhisky

The important part is that the that the sky mod folder comes at the end of this command. So it overwrites the existing sky pack in SLX. If because of any reason you want to revert to the sky pack in SLX, you simply delete -mod=!myhisky from the line and you have the SLX sky again.

I'm using this for convienience because I'm switching between different sky pack for different ambiente. For example the sky pack in SLX is very good for dry and desert terrain. (Like Tonal redux i.e.) And !myhisky is better for jungle/woodland terrain because of the much better (best) rain textures for OFP.

Hope anybody can use this hints.

@Solus

Thanks again for your indulging us on just about everything. SLX + WGL create a perfect blend of fun/realism and have helped me break my f5 in ARMA forum habit tounge2.gif

@Kroky

100% agree with you on a 'join' feature and sky packs. SLX sky in the excellent Tonalredux is stunning and feels like a totally new game.

Quote[/b] ]Im getting an error on the 5.12 config. Preprocessor error. I copied it into the slx/bin folder. Left the config alone in wgl5/bin

yeah sorry. i was talking nonesense.  goodnight.gif

you need to exchange the config in @WGL5\bin of course AND have the correct loading order (or rename the config.cpp in @SLX\bin)

sorry again  banghead.gif

Hah ok now lets try this again.

Im copying the config.cpp into my wgl5/bin folder (after renaming the original config.cpp) then setting putting in the following

-mod=@slx;@wgl5

in that order, correct?

I played yesterday the campaign Yankie Stalker on freya island. In the mission when the Deltas are leaving the rangers and the regulars to watch a bridge, my leader tells me and my 3 other buddies to get in Humvee. We all get in (leader is the driver) we want to start, but then the terrorist attck the rangers and my buddies get out again of the vehicle to help out the rangers. Which is very good. I think GL3 makes them to get out of the car and not to stay in and to watch their teammates get killed. But then they don't get back in car. My squad leader tells me to get in but my buddies stay out, and the leader who is supposed to drive to the next mission target just waits for them and nothing happens. If I had the AI join command in SLX I could make them join me, then order them to get in car and then after getting out of the car release them to my squad leader.

Sorry to go offtopic, but i havent found this campaign mentioned anywhere else...

I'm stuck on the 2nd mission, where you start in the resistance camp at night and it gets attacked by a T80 and a bunch of infantry, and the resistance leader is shouting at me to follow him into the forest, which i do, then he dies because he just lies there shooting, even though he's telling me not to shoot to "venish" into the forest icon_rolleyes.gif

I've got away from the camp and gone to everywhere indicated on the map, but nothing happens...

I second ,third and fourth that on the join feature.That would top ot all off for sure.It would add 10 fold to the playability of this game.Would also i think address the frame rate issues as your not dragging a 11 man(or more) squad around with ya all the time.

I played yesterday the campaign Yankie Stalker on freya island. In the mission when the Deltas are leaving the rangers and the regulars to watch a bridge, my leader tells me and my 3 other buddies to get in Humvee. We all get in (leader is the driver) we want to start, but then the terrorist attck the rangers and my buddies get out again of the vehicle to help out the rangers. Which is very good. I think GL3 makes them to get out of the car and not to stay in and to watch their teammates get killed. But then they don't get back in car. My squad leader tells me to get in but my buddies stay out, and the leader who is supposed to drive to the next mission target just waits for them and nothing happens. If I had the AI join command in SLX I could make them join me, then order them to get in car and then after getting out of the car release them to my squad leader.

Sorry to go offtopic, but i havent found this campaign mentioned anywhere else...

I'm stuck on the 2nd mission, where you start in the resistance camp at night and it gets attacked by a T80 and a bunch of infantry, and the resistance leader is shouting at me to follow him into the forest, which i do, then he dies because he just lies there shooting, even though he's telling me not to shoot to "venish" into the forest  icon_rolleyes.gif

I've got away from the camp and gone to everywhere indicated on the map, but nothing happens...

Yes this second mission is somehow corrupt.

Maybe GL3 prevents the leader to vanish into the forest, then he fights and then he dies.

Just endmission this mission. And go on with the next. You will see It wasn't supposed to go anywhere else. You have to stay in the camp.