Solus

SLX Replacement Pack, Mod, and Addons

There is a config.bin in version 1.06 so dont worry. Its just in the full effects folder in modsettings this is assuming you have ffur if not just convert it :P

Absolutely love the mod and it is obvious you really went to work on it. Thank you Solus!

I'm still checking this out with str8 Resistance 1.96 and would advise others, if commenting on possible bugs, to keep their version str8 SLX for now so as to be certain that bugs are SLX bugs, and not confused by the possibillity that bugs are WGL or FFUR, or others related addons etc... One at a time would really help maybe even nail this. Just a thought.

I actually just wanted to comment that i think the "jerkiness" in the site view or optics view (as in WGL and others, i know is intended) is far too over exagerated - at least in my very limited but possibly tallented experience with rifles (just factualizing, not bragging...). I don't sway around nearly that much, even in a fully upright possition unsupported - I have put 30.30 shells right through the smiling teeth of several deer at 100-150m (not much distance relative to a sniper rifle) but from perfectly upright, no support, with stock iron site, and obviously far less movement to be able to do so, and almost never miss (litterally through the teeth several times). I could not even do that more than 1 out of ten with this from prone, let alone upright,and this has what's suposed to be, the advantage of a scope. In fact, i would compare the amount of movement in this mod, while prone, to be more along the lines of my real life experience when uprght and unsuported. I can even settle down better upright in RL with that moment of still breath just b4 the shot (than what these settings allow for in prone). At least, with a breath in RL, it is possible to settle the site down on a spot for a good second or so, which is plenty long enough to fire the perfect shot 9 out of 10 in succesion within a minute, and I feel like i'm forced to take on somebody elses body and nervousness, feel like i'm totally spasing out when i look through these sights. It ruins this mod for me. Question is, can i adjust that instabillity back closer to, but not quite 196 original? Cause for me, that's more like it. Would it effect a MP game with others who have not made the adjustment? Or maybe you could settle it down a bit and add a key command that stills the breath a moment, to settle just b4 the shot.

Another thing Solus, can i turn the AI response voices back on?

I know you wouldnt be able to yell that stuff back and forth audibly all over the map like that in RL, but at least i'd know they got the command and i don't have to worry about it being the wrong typing command and double check every issued order to see if they got it. Should be [give the command, and, "SIR! YES SIR!!! either by audible voice in the group, or radio response if not within hearing range in your group - without having to read to see if he got it]. Not realistic. I don't think it's a benefit to have to wonder if my AI are getting their commands. Forcing me to look left and read his response there is not realistic either, it's just another visual hinderance, added to a tasking hinderance in the already cumbersome menu sellection process - A hassle IMHO. These two things bothered me with FFUR and WGL as well. Good things to aim for in all of them.

must say a fantastic mod made the game a heck lot more relistic it so cool seeing my troops running out and dragging there comrades away smile_o.gif

tho its a bit laggy on my com (p4ht 2.80g 246 ram 64 graph card) but its a great mod

thanks for blessin us with this biggrin_o.gif

Hi, dunno why, but today, randomly, my OFP decided it didn't like the CWC islands anymore, and deleted them or something because I can't see them in the island list anymore, so no more Everon or Malden (for some reason, Kolgujev is still there  huh.gif  ) and when I try and launch a mission set on one of these islands, I get a CTD with this error message;

Quote[/b] ]Cannot load world 'slx_grass_cwc_islands\abel.wrp'

It has something to do with SLX because the islands appear when I launch ECP, but not FFUR or CSLA, which are the mods I put the SLX config in

/EDIT: I've replaced the FFUR SLX config with the default FFUR one now, and I guess this'll fix the problem, just a shame I can't play FFUR with SLX anymore. I can't replace the CSLA config with the original one though, cos I don't have it anymore. Could someone please upload their CSLA config.bin file so I can revert to it? I don't want to download the 300+meg installer just for the config lol

You can switch off the slx everon&malden by editing the slx config of the specific mod.

For ffur open ffur2006\Bin\config.cpp with wordpad and search for " worldName="\SLX_Grass_CWC_Islands\eden.wrp"; " and add // infront of it. And remove the // from " worldName="eden.wrp"; ". And do the same with malden(abel)... should also work for csla.

Strange bug this one confused_o.gif For me ffur,wgl works but ECP doesnt work with these islands

Edit: {_x exec {\SLX_GL3\SLX_Init_GL3.sqs}} ForEach thislist in trigger activation field doesnt work! Does nothing and giver error

Is anyone else having that strange audio experience? I assume it's just the doppler effect applied to the bullet crack noise, however, noone else seems to be talking about anything like this. I have a 5.1 surround set up. Would that be causing any problems?

twisted: Thanks! The next update will address some of your issues.

1. I'll update the readme and include an example mission in the next update to make sure everything works for using GL3 in a mission.

2. Will also be addressed in the updated readme.

3. Try turning on the SLX_Debug option in the SLX_GL3_Setting.sqf and it will show a whole bunch of debug messages if it's working. There should be messages for each unit that gets GL3 exec'd on them at startup.

4. When the AI's are suppressed they are set to combat mode "red, engage at will" and behaviour "stealth" which I think makes AI squad leaders tell the group to take cover. I think how well they take cover is up to how many extra CPU cycles there are for AI's to think, and sometimes they just can't find good cover. In general though they seem to react to being shot at a little better than the default AI. They definitely keep their heads down when getting shot at at least. They also set the formation direction to face the enemy which might make that the direction they try to take cover from, and the squad leader watches where they were getting suppressed from so they will try to return fire after taking cover.

gunterlund: Strange, hopefully the new config will fix that crash. I don't know what could be causing it, sorry. :\

Freshman: Ah, sorry. tounge2.gif

plaintiff1: Thanks! The distance that sounds can be heard from is tricky. I'm not sure how the distance/volume entry for the sounds in OFP works so it's hard to design it to work the way it should be. I think that the current bullet sounds are audible from at least 2km, or maybe that's when the sound starts to lose volume. The sound loops every so often so you can still hear it before it leaves your hearing range. Originally I had the sound audible from 800 meters and that's what I designed to sound file for but then I read that supersonic cracks and gunshot sounds are much louder and can be heard from very far away, sometimes many kilometers, so I changed the distance. I also read that shot sounds and supersonic cracks are about the same volume. So I made the distance you could hear it greater but haven't messed with the sound file yet. It's also hard because if the loop of the sound is too long then there will be large distances that the shot is traveling that are almost silent and someone being shot at won't hear it, and it's hard to create a constantly looping sound that sounds the same as a real supersonic crack so that it will always be heard. Also the OFP bullet sounds don't work like real supersonic bullets so a constantly looping sound won't sound right anyway. I wanted a sound that would make enough sound at the nessisary distance of about 25-300 meters for people being shot at within that range to hear it and then audible again at around 300-600 meters and still be audible from very far away and that's pretty much how the current ones work. Basically there has to be a compromise somewhere and maybe I haven't found the right place yet. I'll try messing with the length of the loop so that it won't be so audible from within the hearing range of the first sound and the distance to try and get things more balanced. I'm not sure about the other sounds you're hearing, are you sure they're releated to the supersonic crack sound ?

Universal: No, sorry. I am deffinitely not skilled enough to make thermal\infrared imaging. You can make dxdll to be desaturated to look black and white so it looks maybe like FLIR or something when you have the NVG's on though.

Freshman: I'll try and get the sound to loop so that it sounds more like an echo in the distance than just several loops but it's hard to get it balanced just right. What version and mod were you using when the FFAR's ricocheted ? They shouldn't ricochet in 1.06.

BigPoppa898: Strange bug, but I've never had that happen for me so I have no idea what could be wrong, sorry. :/

Rebl Man: Thanks! The updates have config.bins for some mods in the @SLX\Mod configs\ folder. Which mod did you want a .bin for ?

Hardcoreâ„¢: Thanks, and you're welcome! The steadiness of the sights is defined in the "aimPrecision" value in the animations. Just search the config.cpp for "aimPrecision" and try your own modifications. There is a separate entry for standing, crouching, and lying prone. About the holding breath key, while it would be difficult to implement an actual breath holding feature there already is a de facto holding breath ability already built in to OFP, just hold down the freelook key, which is the "Alt" key by default and the aiming sway will stop. However you cannot readjust your aim while holding down the freelook key so you have to press it at just the right time to aim where you want to. Also remember that in the game you are indeed taking on the body and nervousness of someone else, who is probably tired from moving around to get into position, tense from trying to keep still to keep from being spotted, and who knows that they very well could get shot at any moment so their nervousness might be a little understandable. Of course that's assuming that the character is in a usual OFP setting, such as a battle, and not hunting, so if you are playing non combat missions then a lower aimprecision value might work better. I will try and implement an option to enable radio voices in the default SLX config in the next update. You could also do it yourself by copying the "class words" section from a mod config with the radio voices and paste it over the SLX config's "class words" section and that should work. Hope some of that helps, thanks for the writeup! :]

snowballrules: Thanks!

Shashman: Are you sure you're still starting OFP with -mod @SLX;ModName ? Also make sure that SLX_Grass_CWC_Islands.pbo is in your @SLX\Addons\ folder. I'll take a look and see if I can find any reason for the island problems. Do you have the SLX Grass islands in the editor islands menu ? I'll include the default configs for all mods in the next update.

jackass888: Thanks for spotting that! Try "[_x]" in there and see if that works. I'll update the readmes and check all information in them to make sure it's correct in the next update.

Strangely enough, no. I wasn't even starting the mods with SLX enabled, yet they were being affected by SLX huh.gif

I'm not sure about the other sounds you're hearing, are you sure they're releated to the supersonic crack sound ?

I'm not certain but I'm definitely leaning in that direction. I will attempt record a video or two showing what I'm hearing.

downloaded it, tried it, didn't work. in fact my ffur 2006 2.5 mod now locks up when i try to load it. I now have to re install it. sorry but for those of us that aren't to clued up on script editing i think there should have been a simpler install set up rather than lots of script editing afterwards that now stopped my ffur from working

Solus,

Thanks for your reply. I made a typo in my writeup for the forum posting-- I correctly typed "SLX" into the Target field for the shortcut.

I just tried running again the ECP mod along with the SLX mod, when I tried to load a single player mission, I got a message that stated that it could not load a mission because Resistance was not installed, even though it is.

I read the following error report on my desktop:

Operation Flashpoint

(x) Cannot load world 'worlds\...\@slx\worlds\eden.wrp'

[OK]

Beyond all doubt, I do have all 3 disks of OFP GotY Edition installed, along with the 1.96 update, so why it's saying what it is beyond me.

Here's the Target for my shortcut:

"D:\1\Operation Flashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE" -nosplash -mod=@SLX;@ECP

Maybe this extra bit of information will lead to some assistance that'll finally allow me a chance to actually experience the mod in all of its glory.

Yours,

Kyle

Nov. 20, 2006

I'm still  reading through the comments on this remarkable mod but I have to mention if it hasnt yet been mentioned.....  I noticed that when a soldier is hit there is a large plum of dust, more like a vertical crator which in turn makes the soldier laying down look like a peacock , also when hit makes it hard for the player to see.  

The weird noise that the weapon makes when firng at the ground is a bit odd.  

The muzzle climb is unusually too high and exagerated as most weapons with muzzle flash supressors have little, maybe the climb is good but the animae is not for this feature.

There is no model for the AK when switching to aim or optic mode.

The LAW has a black smoke trail which most AT rockets have hardly any, AND rarely can actually see a LAW or SMAW or Carl projectile in flight. There should ve been more of a dust cloud or plume when firing a shoulder rocket.

The grenade effect, I'm sorry but I noticed alot of modders, it seams, are trying to make the grenade detonation and smoke effects much like VBS1 and really, grenades produce quite alot of flash and smoke, not just a small spout, smoke is more spread out in a quicker fashion.

ANd for the sounds, I wouldve been very obligded to help you out in that department smile_o.gif

Other wise without these bugs this would be a great mod as for the draging of injured soldiers and such. great work.

is it possible to not have a mod like ffur where the enemy can see you a mile away, I try to hide, and have cover, but still get shot somehow, even 2-300 meters away.

I also notice triggers don't seem to work sometimes, for example, I have a trigger that says when west is present then a t72 will follow a waypoint, instead west isn't present and the tank still shows up, and yes the trigger and waypoint are synced. The game doesn't have to be ultrrealsitc like ffur always try to do, then its too hard, and no fun.

all for now thank you.

Great mod though.

Okay, I did the video of the audio I'm experiencing. Notice in the final sequence, noone is firing anywhere near me, and nearly every bullet fired can be heard clearly. I'm putting this up to add to the base of knowledge and to see if anyone else is hearing the things I am hearing. The audio artifacting asside, this is my first ofp video, actually, it's my first video ever.. I hope it does well to showcase the incredible special effects it delivers.

Putfile: Bullet Crack Artifact Video WMV (4.68 mb), 16.9 widescreen NTSC

I'm using OFP v1.6, WGL v5.12, SLX v1.06, and Versus's sound pack. Kudos to those excellent developers.

I couldn't quite see (I mean hear tounge2.gif) what the problem is. On the contrary, I really like the sounds. What's this Versus sound pack you speak of? I like the SFX (except for the standard BIS explosion sounds)

To clarify, the queeoooo sounds that you hear are not due to audio compression... it's how it sounds on my comp. They are the bullet noises. When the bullets are travelling away, they sound pretty neat, albeit quite loud. These are the sounds you're hearing the the first, second and third sequences. When the sound activates before they pass you, or whatever is going on there, it's makes this very strange sound that I was describing as a bullet passing through water earlier. Basically, I'm looking to see if this experience is normal rather than out of the ordinary.

Versus's sound pack for WGL is available in this thread of the WGL forums:

http://ofpc.de/wargames/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?1227

Shashman: The grass islands are defined in the mod config. If you don't load the SLX_Grass_CWC_Islands.pbo in @SLX\Addons\ the islands will give you an error when they try to load and that's why you're having problems. You have to load @SLX with the other mod when you are using a SLX config. If you don't want to use the SLX stuff just restore the original mod config which you should have backed up. There will be default mod configs in the next update.

plaintiff1: Thanks, cool video! Are you talking about the last segment where you're looking through the scope at the russian soldiers firing at someone to your right and you can hear all of the supersonic cracks from their bullets? That's normal and intentional. Please read this page that shows the sound levels of a suppressed and unsuppressed rifle. Notice that the sound level doesn't really go down much on the suppressed rifle, that's because the supersonic crack is almost the same volume as the gasses escaping from the barrel, the "gunshot" sound. So when you could see the russian soldiers firing and you could hear their rifles then you should also be able to hear the supersonic cracks as well.

-Sniper-: Sorry it's hard to install, I tried to make it fairly easy but I'm not skilled enough to make a real installer. :/ All I can say is try reading the readme and hopefully it will make sense. I'm not sure what messed up your FFUR config, maybe there was a problem in the last realease that the next update will fix.

Kyle_K_ski: Thanks for finding that! Looks like I forgot to update the ECP config for the new addon path. It will be fixed it in the next update. Maybe you can try running the regular @SLX mod alone and see if you can get it working for the time being.

Chammy: Thanks for the comments, bug reports, and suggestions! The first one sounds like you haven't run the install.bat file yet, also try getting the latest update in the first post here and rerun the install.bat. Also the craters should go away with the updated config even if the install.bat isn't run. The missing AK sight is from the same problem. Since you're running the first release the noise from shooting at the ground is probably the supersonic crack sound from the bullets ricocheting off the ground. Recoil is a difficult thing to perfect in OFP. Which rifles should have reduced recoil from flash suppressors ? The M16 has the birdcage flash suppressor and the AK74 has a muzzle break but how much should they reduce recoil ? Is the recoil good for unsuppressed rifles ? What do you mean about the 'animae' could you elaborate on that ? Sorry for all the questions but it's hard to do detailed research on some things and if you have some answers they could help. Thanks. :] The LAW and RPG will have lighter smoke like the guided missiles in the next update. For the grenade smoke, that's as good as I could get it with the config smoke, I think it looks correct for larger explosions but it doesn't work the same way for smaller ones like hand grenades. I would have to use a script to make better smoke, and implement grenade simulation in the shot effects script but it is too big for me to implement quickly and there are many similar scripts out there that already do that so I haven't felt like doing it yet. What kind of sounds could you have helped with ? It would be interesting to have some more sounds. :]

Julian: I am pretty sure that it is possible. I don't believe the FFUR AI's can see you from a mile away, unless you were speaking figuratively. 200-300 meters is supposed to be within the effective range of rifles so the AI's are supposed to be able to shoot you within that range. I think I've been shot through cover a few times on desert island but never in a mission, are you sure it wasn't someone who still had you in their line of sight that shot you ? Maybe you got shot before you got behind cover and then you played the death animation after you finished the previous animation. Also remember that a bush or grass is concealment, not cover. The T72 was probably called on the radio to help out some infantry and that's why it didn't wait until the trigger had been set off.

The next update has a Tonal Redux config with JAM ammo with supersonic cracks along with a customized GL3 with Tonal Redux's african dialect shouting and a working FN FAL Scout bayonet.

Hey Solus any plans for the BOH/Swedish forces pack mod configs in the future releases ?

tried adding rhs guys to a mission and activating them with a trigger with "{_x exec {\SLX_GL3\SLX_Init_GL3.sqs}} ForEach thislist" . All I get is an array error of some sort at mission start. Like it cant find anyone. Naturally quotes are not included.

Thanks for the tips, Solus, unfortunately, I didn't back-up the original CSLA config *slaps head*, hence my request for anyone to upload theirs? Actually, nevermind, I'll just load it with the SLX mod smile_o.gif

@plaintiff, I don't use WGL, so I guess I won't be using that sound mod lol...

Good to hear about your plans to make a Tonal config, Solus thumbs-up.gif

Thanks for the timely reply, Solus. I'm glad that everything I'm experiencing is how it's intended! Thanks for your kind words about my video, but really, it was just a bunch of clips of bullet sounds hacked together. I'll leave the real thing to the movie makers! Thanks again!

Regards,

P1

i think there was a bit too much for me to take in. I found out it was actually my flashpoint that was screwed up and not my ffur. I know how to add add ons, missions and the usual basic stuff, but when it comes to adding script i have no idea. Its a bit of a let down because this looks good and i don't want to screw it up again