Sign in to follow this  
evilnate

To the people who are playing ArmA, how is it?

Its impossible to have this grass rendered all over the fields, its unfortunate but true, i dont mind if the current grass is only for looks because it does look good waving in the wind, with insects flying around.

Lets not forget that Arma environments are rich and there are thousands of buildings, bushes, trees, forests, etc to provide cover and concealment. I RL if you go prone in tall grass you wont be able to see anyway and a snake might bite your ass... wink_o.gif .

yeah about golf and sports, im wondering is there a footbal so we can kick some football in arma? biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ] but then if they really make different voice act on different combat mode and having all of them done right the game would eat your HDD

Not really.

You don´t need to have thousands of different voice samples for different combatmodes. I guess 3 different sets for combatmodes would be perfectly ok. The samples do not take that much space on HD as they are all pretty short and the variety of speakers would be limited.

Still, if only the possibility was there to bind combatmodes to a certain voiceset it would be a huge improvement for ingame experiance. In combination with a function to turn off the transmission of radio commands it would force players to stick with their team and leader and some whispered commands in stealth mode should be increasing the atmosphere alot.

Still, can anyone tell how AI does it in Arma ? Do they just shut up in different combatmodes ? Do you hear enemy voice commands aswell ? Maybe someone can post an answer pls.

I'm a first hour ofp fan.

Today i will not play arma, but instead play ofp coop.

Arma is like playing ofp in a laggy Oblivionworld ( i have p4 3.2Ghz, 1GB ram, GF6800GT 256 and play it at everything low)

Most of the time my ofp even looks better then arma.

In ofp i can actually prone and see something.

I just hope that BIS will fix most bugs, because else it will mean an end to our fantastic community as people will drift to other games sooner or later.

I find this hard to say, but i think i even like BF2 better then the current state of Arma.

All of us must have memories of coops where u get in a chopper and some lame noob crashes it after flying 4 minutes to target killing all players.

The current state of chopper controls is so bad that guy doesn't even have to be a noob anymore :-)

Nevertheless i trust Bis will solve the problems.

( i have p4 3.2Ghz, 1GB ram, GF6800GT 256 and play it at everything low)

Then there is something horribly wrong with your PC, as it runs fine on a AMD X2 4200+, 1,5GB ram, x1600XT (slightly overclocked) @ normal settings, expect shadows and AA (both at low, AF at high), my CPU is better but my ram is slow as hell and my x1600xt is barely mid-end so your PC should definitely play this smooth tounge2.gif

I love it, the small bugs aside (there was 1 occasion where i couldnt finish the mission because the AI drove into a wall, but usually there isnt anything to really worry about, the sometimes blurry textures which suddenly become sharp again are kinda weird, but it doesnt happen constantly and doesnt break the gameplay) its a big improvement over OFP, the AI is a bigger challenge now, it looks better, sounds better, and is much more immersive.

The only thing i dont really like is the campaign, it doesnt even come close to the quality of CWC.

Arma is like playing ofp in a laggy Oblivionworld ( i have p4 3.2Ghz, 1GB ram, GF6800GT 256 and play it at everything low)

If your ArmA runs crap on such pc, then I would check the status of drivers, spyware, defragmentation, yadi yadi yadi... Those specs should perform way better than Low, actually should be quite the same like mine...

I heard that in some situations selecting "low" will give less performance than when it's set to "high" or "normal"... I would say... try these settings once:

Settings:

Quality Preference: Very High

Visibility: 1200

Resolution: 1024x768x32 (Even a little higher seems to give trouble)

Advanced Settings:

Terrain Detail: Normal

Object Detail: Normal

Texture Detail: Normal

Shading Detail: Very High

Post Process effects: High

Anisotropic Filtering: Low <-- try turning it off if it's still low fps

Shadow detail: Normal

Antialiasing: Disabled

Blood: High

Sickboy, while you´re here, can you pls answer that question ?

Quote[/b] ]Still, can anyone tell how AI does it in Arma ? Do they just shut up in different combatmodes ? Do you hear enemy voice commands aswell ? Maybe someone can post an answer pls.

Sickboy, while you´re here, can you pls answer that question ?
Quote[/b] ]Still, can anyone tell how AI does it in Arma ? Do they just shut up in different combatmodes ? Do you hear enemy voice commands aswell ?  Maybe someone can post an answer pls.

No idea, we don't play with AI in our coops m8 smile_o.gif

If I come across it I will answer it.

What the hell! Reading so much posts about system specs requirements make me think something went terribly wrong with the final optimization of this game. crazy_o.gif

In addiciton I'm quite disappointed by the several bugs found 'till now. confused_o.gif

Klavan

Quote[/b] ]If I come across it I will answer it.

It´s just some clickies in the editor  welcome.gif

Yes, well, get next in line of the 100's of ppl that request things like that m8. If you want to know right now you should've made sure you got the game already smile_o.gif

Like I said, when I come across it I will let you know

Quote[/b] ]Yes, well, get next in line of the 100's of ppl that request things like that m8. If you want to know right now you should've made sure you got the game already

Ok forget it. I´ll get my copy next week. Won´t bother you anymore.

Quote[/b] ]I heard that in some situations selecting "low" will give less performance than when it's set to "high" or "normal"...
That sounds pretty messed up. crazy_o.gif
Quote[/b] ]The only thing i dont really like is the campaign, it doesnt even come close to the quality of CWC.

I don't really expect it to, CWC had characters and a sense of "greater good" that really stuck in your mind. You were fighting for people in those missions, you tried your best to keep Berghoff alive, to stop Guba from nuking everyone, to bolster the resistance. I suppose you don't get any of that feeling when the story is portrayed in a generic sense. North invades South. Go protect South.

Here's hoping when I get the game I can eat my words. yay.gif

Quote[/b] ]Yes, well, get next in line of the 100's of ppl that request things like that m8. If you want to know right now you should've made sure you got the game already

Ok forget it. I´ll get my copy next week. Won´t bother you anymore.

As said, if I came across I would let you know..

At the moment im playing with only 2 players, so we were bugging some around with AI...

When you give the order "stealth" your character says it a bit with his voice down, near whispering...

But sorry to report, the AI's respond equally loud as when in "safe" mode etc.

In OFP droping to one knee and using the iron sights was fairly accurate, you had to account for bullet drop but aiming for the centre mass and remaining stationary was enough to hit a stationary target.

But i've seen several videos were the aimpoint has bee pointing at a seemingly unmissable target around 150 metres away only for the first couple of rounds fired to miss, so what are the shooters not taking into account?

Quote[/b] ]As said, if I came across I would let you know..

At the moment im playing with only 2 players, so we were bugging some around with AI...

When you give the order "stealth" your character says it a bit with his voice down, near whispering...

Thx for testing.

@BIS: That´s stupid... confused_o.gif

RE:Grass.

When I look outside my office window, I see grass that is taken care of and grass that grows wild.

If I go out there with my scoped rifle and lay prone in the wild stuff, i'm not going to be able to aim at anything sea-level.

It kinda makes me laugh when I hear people complain that the game isn't realistic enough, then I hear people say the grass is too realistic... Wait what topic are we discussing here? crazy_o.gif

I would like someone that is playing arma to get your grubby clothes on, go outside, find natural grass, grab their scoped rifle (or broom stick) and see if they can aim at sea-level without obstruction when laying prone. Then go back inside, grab a scoped rifle and laydown in wild grass in game and see if the realism is there. I think it will be the same. smile_o.gif

Thx for testing.

@BIS: That´s stupid... confused_o.gif

I expected the a.i. would whisper when in stealth mode, if the voice files are there maybe it will be possible? smile_o.gif .

Edit:

Simple curiosity... Are the wheels on the AV8B animated now? I presume this should now be possible in Arma?

Thx for testing.

@BIS: That´s stupid...  confused_o.gif

Hmmm. Doesn't SAFE mean all clear?

Why would someone whisper if everything's all clear and SAFE? confused_o.gif

I think he said AI respond to whispering like they were in 'SAFE' mode. But to me that's half the charm of palying coop exclusively. I like to feel smarter than the AI.

Question:

Does ArmA feature ANY hand to hand combat, oder knives or something like this?

Question:

Does ArmA feature ANY hand to hand combat, oder knives or something like this?

Not at all...

RE:Grass.

When I look outside my office window, I see grass that is taken care of and grass that grows wild.

If I go out there with my scoped rifle and lay prone in the wild stuff, i'm not going to be able to aim at anything sea-level.

It kinda makes me laugh when I hear people complain that the game isn't realistic enough, then I hear people say the grass is too realistic... Wait what topic are we discussing here? crazy_o.gif

I would like someone that is playing arma to get your grubby clothes on, go outside, find natural grass, grab their scoped rifle (or broom stick) and see if they can aim at sea-level without obstruction when laying prone. Then go back inside, grab a scoped rifle and laydown in wild grass in game and see if the realism is there. I think it will be the same. smile_o.gif

youve got the whole point of the problem wrong...its not that its unrealistic to have hard time seeing in grass, its that you cant see but the enemy CAN...thats the way i read it anyway.

"I would like someone that is playing arma to get your grubby clothes on, go outside, find natural grass, grab their scoped rifle (or broom stick) and see if they can aim at sea-level without obstruction when laying prone. "

And your point is what? What has what you just said have anything to do with the topic of grass for visual concealment?

The point is this. If you are in the grass, it covers YOUR view. Like it naturaly should. As well giving peeps the FALSE  impression that since I can`t see them, they can`t see me.

But Joe Blow standing  not too far away, or Joe Sniper out at 800 meters prolly sees you laying there on flat terrain with absolutely no visuals concealment whatsoever.

So, all BIS`s grass is really being effective at is sucking your cpu cycles,, giving the false impression of vis concealment, and hindering your view to boot.  This kinda grass is perfect for a quaker. But not so good for a wide open , short/mid/long range engagement experience imho.

So far the Voxel engine tho aged and fugly as it comes, it still kicks most new engines in the azz for grass rendering at any distance. I`d rather have ugly and effective, over pretty and useless any day of the week, or no grass at all.

"I would like someone that is playing arma to get your grubby clothes on, go outside, find natural grass, grab their scoped rifle (or broom stick) and see if they can aim at sea-level without obstruction when laying prone. "

And your point is what? What has what you just said have anything to do with the topic of grass for visual concealment?

The point is this. If you are in the grass, it covers YOUR view. Like it naturaly should. As well giving peeps the FALSE  impression that since I can`t see them, they can`t see me.

But Joe Blow standing  not too far away, or Joe Sniper out at 800 meters prolly sees you laying there on flat terrain with absolutely no visuals concealment whatsoever.

So, all BIS`s grass is really being effective at is sucking your cpu cycles,, giving the false impression of vis concealment, and hindering your view to boot.  This kinda grass is perfect for a quaker. But not so good for a wide open , short/mid/long range engagement experience imho.

So far the Voxel engine tho aged and fugly as it comes, it still kicks most new engines in the azz for grass rendering at any distance. I`d rather have ugly and effective, over pretty and useless any day of the week, or no grass at all.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Relax! My point is that it's realistic for wild/natural grass to block your view when laying prone. I didn't realize the topic about about "the topic of grass for visual concealment", pardon me sir. tounge2.gif

If it's a fact that AI can see though the grass when their prone, well that's a bugger!

nener.gif