Sign in to follow this  
evilnate

To the people who are playing ArmA, how is it?

Could someone post a screenshot of ArmA running at 800x600 and low graphics settings? I'd like to see what I can expect it to look like on my system

There are plenty of screens of the game on low settings, like the tiscale.cz review.

For the guys having performance problems, try turning down terrain detail. I'm not sure about ArmA, but in OFP it made a huge difference.

Also, "Post Processing" in the graphics settings might refer to HDR. Or maybe it's just the blur effects. Maybe one reason they don't want people to turn off HDR is for multiplayer since it will give you an advantage - you wont be blinded by the sun or by bright lights shining at you at night.

Quote[/b] ]

i could not find any option to turn the hdr off, even in the config files you can just adjust the hdr precision

Ack.

I really hope there is some way to disable HDR, as it is an unecessary performance loss for me, and I will take AA over HDR any day of the week.

Unless you can run AA + HDR in tandem.. even then I would disable HDR for some extra FPS.

I don't have the game yet but I am sure that you can disable it or that you cann choose BLOOM Effect instead.

Why am I sure about this ... as far as I know HDR only works with GraphicCards that support Shader 3.0 and ArmA can be played with cards that "only" support 2.0 so there must be an option to disable it.

My enthousiasm drops and im scared right now.

I have high expectations but they seem to be unjustified considering the latest posts i ve read.

I am pretty certain that Placebo made a statement of when HDR is activated. I think it had to do with a certain setting at high or very high.

Unfortunatly the Search function is not much help to find the respective post; I guess it was in one of the review, photography or video threads...

Quote[/b] ]i'm using a c2d 6400@3.4ghz, 2gb ram, geforce 7900gs@600/800 machine, and the game runs slow and unbalanced at 1280, post proc low, aa and aniso disabled, obj txt normal, any other very high.

If Terrain Detail is among those at very high you should try to turn it down to high or normal. Will also make driving fast cross-country easier tounge2.gif

i'm not new in overclocking after some top100 3dmark results with cascade cooling a few years ago, so be sure that my system works just fine..:)

Since some reviewers have ArmA running on much less HW I guess there are something not right with yours. IMO you should be able to run ArmA without problems. Maybe a simple thing such as a driver issue? You probably have but I ask anyway... Have you tried different drivers for your nVidia card?

The review below give the following HW specifications (only thing I'm able to "decrypt") and I wonder if the minimal HW requirements he states there is the one printed on the box?

Quote[/b] ]

Minimální konfigurace: Pentium IV 1.6 GHz, 768 MB RAM, 64 MB grafická karta

Doporučená konfigurace: Pentium IV 2.5 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 128 MB grafická karta

Testovací konfigurace: Athlon XP 1600+, 1.5GHz, 768MB RAM, 128 MB grafická karta

Link to review:

http://www.doupe.cz/h/PChry/AR.asp?ARI=115269

/KC

Since some reviewers have ArmA running on much less HW I guess there are something not right with yours. IMO you should be able to run ArmA without problems. Maybe a simple thing such as a driver issue? Have you tried different drivers for your nVidia card?

The review below give the following HW specifications (only thing I'm able to "decrypt") and I wonder if the minimal HW requirements he states there is the one printed on the box?

Quote[/b] ]

Minimální konfigurace: Pentium IV 1.6 GHz, 768 MB RAM, 64 MB grafická karta

Doporučená konfigurace: Pentium IV 2.5 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 128 MB grafická karta

Testovací konfigurace: Athlon XP 1600+, 1.5GHz, 768MB RAM, 128 MB grafická karta

i've tried a few drivers, without performance gain.

on the box 2ghz, 512mb and vga with 128mb is the minimum, 3ghz, 1gb and vga with 256mb is the recommended.

pedro, a friend of mine who made some pictures and posted it somewhere in this thread runs i think a 2500+barton@3200+ 1gb ram and 9800pro with 128mb. he has about 25 fps at 800*600 low. but i must admit that the game looks pretty good even at that low resolution. my rig runs at 80-120fps with this settings.

post proc set to low just affects the bloom effect as i see, but this is a real fps killer, at high the game is about 30 percent slower. 1024*768 is much faster then 1280, but with lcd displays the games look terrible when not running at native resolution.

on the box 2ghz, 512mb and vga with 128mb is the minimum, 3ghz, 1gb and vga with 256mb is the recommended.

Thanks for verifying whats stated on the DVD box. Wonder where that reviewer (David Marák) got his numbers from?

Hope you find a solution to your performance issue. As I said I'm sure you will be able to run ArmA without problems on your HW when things get sorted...

/KC

Don't mess with your system - especially when other games run fine. Rather wait for a patch or a new graphics card driver. For gods sake don't start reinstalling windows or trying hacked graphics drivers or that sort of time killers. I go crazy whenever that "try reinstalling this, try installing that ..." talk starts when a new game is just released and not optimized yet for all hardware configurations or just "too new" for a certain graphics card. Best to be patient, post your problems/send your crash files and wait for BIS and Nvidia/ATI to look into things. Won't be a long wait.

I think i forgot to mention the most stupid thing in my last post.

Basically each time you bring up the map in ArmA you get a 'load screen' when you switch back.

It's fairly short load of perhaps 5 seconds. But this is a huge issue in CTI where you send AI all around the map all the time.

This really must be fixed.

Quote[/b] ]I am pretty certain that Placebo made a statement of when HDR is activated. I think it had to do with a certain setting at high or very high

It would be nice to have a seperate setting for HDR/Bloom/None, as I would like to run Post-Processing on High-Very High for the blur effects, but don't want any sort of HDR.

I suspect HDR will be anbled when Post-Processing is set to High/Very High.

Quote[/b] ]Basically each time you bring up the map in ArmA you get a 'load screen' when you switch back.

Yes I noticed that aswell. Though sometimes it takes no loading time, but sometimes it does. Weird.

Another "bug" with mapscreen:

You can´t continue to move anymore while in mapscreen.

I think i forgot to mention the most stupid thing in my last post.

Basically each time you bring up the map in ArmA you get a 'load screen' when you switch back.

It's fairly short load of perhaps 5 seconds. But this is a huge issue in CTI where you send AI all around the map all the time.

This really must be fixed.

OPF:E game leftovers confused_o.gif .

Im building a new comp especially for Arma and i would be very pissed if i had to run it at medium details and 1024x764 resolution to get more than 35 fps...

I suspect HDR will be anbled when Post-Processing is set to High/Very High.

i only have low and high post proc settings in the options.

i noticed the map loading too. even with my fast raptor drive the loading is slow, and a mission needs about 30sec. with 2gb ram the hdd is scratching all the time when moving. i need an upgrade..:)

Quote[/b] ]Basically each time you bring up the map in ArmA you get a 'load screen' when you switch back.

Yes I noticed that aswell. Though sometimes it takes no loading time, but sometimes it does. Weird.

Another "bug" with mapscreen:

You can´t continue to move anymore while in mapscreen.

A m8 of mine also reported he could not move while in the map... But I can, so I don't understand the issue smile_o.gif

With the map/loading screen, I also have it, but not 5 seconds. Sometimes it takes a few seconds but it goes pretty fast.

Furthermore you now have a minimap when you press escape, and that one doesn't need a loadscreen (but I cant keep moving when in that map) biggrin_o.gif

Does the grass conceal you from the AI ? (tall grass of course, if there is any...)

I think : Negative wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]A m8 of mine also reported he could not move while in the map... But I can, so I don't understand the issue

I remember that there was a difference when I was on foot or in a vehicle. Sometimes I could go on, sometimes not.

Very weird though. The loading time between map<->ingame is a farce and it will certainly get you into trouble in MP gaming.

Does the grass conceal you from the AI ? (tall grass of course, if there is any...)

I had the feeling that it did conseal a bit, until you start firing, then you'd better be behind a bush or better hard cover like tree or other stuff.

It doesnt work like or as good as a bush that's certain, but also logical smile_o.gif

Maybe BIS can officialy give a statement on this smile_o.gif

I wanted to add that you can now finally leave choppers 'on'... I mean the engine wink_o.gif so if you go out of the chopper the engine remains running, quite handy if you ask me, was a bummer in ofp, altough if you were fast enough you could take off pretty fast again.

It would be nice to have a seperate setting for HDR/Bloom/None, as I would like to run Post-Processing on High-Very High for the blur effects, but don't want any sort of HDR.

If people were able to disable HDR wouldn't that give the player a massive advantage in MP games? One of the realism factors of ArmA is the consequence of setting up a ambush with the sun on your eyes, it makes it much more difficult for you to see your targets no?

I also wonder if the AI has the visibility limitations if they are looking at targets with the sun in their face?

Thanks for the quite honest review FCs.  confused_o.gif

If people were able to disable HDR wouldn't that give the player a massive advantage in MP games? One of the realism factors of ArmA is the consequence of setting up a ambush with the sun on your eyes, it makes it much more difficult for you to see your targets no?

I also wonder if the AI has the visibility limitations if they are looking at targets with the sun in their face?

Thanks for the quite honest review FCs. confused_o.gif

I tried to set postprocessing to low and some of the effects dissapeared. Not sure if its those HDR things though crazy_o.gif

I wanted to add that you can now finally leave choppers 'on'... I mean the engine wink_o.gif so if you go out of the chopper the engine remains running, quite handy if you ask me, was a bummer in ofp, altough if you were fast enough you could take off pretty fast again.

great finally we can rob banks with Helos the right way wink_o.gif

for the loading screen .. couldnt see any in 134AI vid .. does it depend on somthing like 2G of of ram or anything ż

Oh no i'm getting deja vous crazy_o.gif I remember posting a similar reply when Resistance was released for OFP. I had to buy a new comp just to play it.I said in my reply bis had made a mistake in thinking everone had a "monster comp".If they made this game to run with every day normal computers like which the majoraty of us have, more people would buy it,so bis would make more money! Ofp has been out for years and their is still no hardware out their to be able to play it on max setting's. To cut a long story short,how come evey recent game release runs fine on my comp,however going off this topic AA will run like a bag of shit? crazy_o.gif Wel bollock's to upgrading my rig again,if when i try AA it won't run well,i'll stick with good old OFP inlove.gif

Ofp has been out for years and their is still no hardware out their to be able to play it on max setting's.

The reason to that is most likely that OFP is (by now) using old techniques trying to run on brand new hardware and it just doesn't work to well! Fact in case, OFP ran much better on my old GF4 Ti4200 128MB (made for the DX 8 era) than it does on my newer GF6 6600GT 256MB (made for the DX 9 era).

I don't agree with you and don't think the minimum nor the recomended HW specifications for ArmA is far fetched at all!

And since ArmA seems to be scalable just like OFP we will (most likely) be able to run it OK on older HW we just have to turn down the settings. Eventually we both will upgrade and by then you will be happy BIS raised the bar so to speak  tounge2.gif

/KC