Sign in to follow this  
evilnate

To the people who are playing ArmA, how is it?

Damn! I didn't think that i would be this childish... Just downloaded german version and played couple of hours and i'm thrilled (usually hate the word). ArmA feels good, even better than demo as it didn't have editor... And some things that made OFP feel edgy, playing feels smooth now. collosion detection is very-very good + moving is much more smoother now = I feel much more stabile and present in game. Now i finaly understand why people say that they haven't played OFP.

ps. Plase don't crush me with whining i'm just exited... Thrilled more like yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

I just downloaded and patched the demo to 5116, fearing a buggy slideshow. But it's damn good fun! I have a relatively old system (P4 3.00 @ 3.3, 9600XT 128mb @ 550/350), but as long as I turn the textures down to very low i can get between 30 and 40 fps!!! (1024x768, terrain=normal,objects=normal, textures=VLow, shading=low,postprocess=low,ansi=normal,shadow=disabled,aa=disabled,blood=low)

It looks way nicer than OFP even on these low settings smile_o.gif

I'm very impressed by the game itself too. I have only played the co-op as SP. The new controls are quite clever once you adjust to them, but the fixed animations do make movement harder than it should be in close quarters. I have not had any trouble with a delay between mouse movements and weapon. The AI seem more aware that they are under attack, but I've only been playing for 30 mins so I can't say much. I have enjoyed the grass, it's not too dense and it adds to the importance of using advantageous terrain rather than just lying down anywhere and shooting. The other enviromental effects make the game quite immersive. The HDR seems a bit overdone, but a nice addition.

Sara-Lite seems interesting. Parts are very well made, but it lacks subtlety between terrain types and the satalite textures do not always correspond with the details. The heightmap is also unimpressive. The new engine seems promising though. Seems I was right about the 20m cell size!

I'm not at all impressed by the sounds. The new vocals are pathetic (go TO that tree at AT 1 OCLOCK!!!!!wink_o.gif) and many sound effects seem nasty. I've always disliked every new games sound effects since the quake came out, so I guess it's a matter of adjusting.. EAX seems to limit the engine to 1 or 2 sound effects but I am using old drivers.

All in all, it's OFP, but more gooder! Looking forward to the 505 release.

Just built a new PC:

e6400 oc'ed to 2.5

asus p5nsli mobo

1 gig ddr2 ram

7900 gs oc'ed 600/1.3

With the new patch, this game (demo) runs outstanding. 40-50 fps on High. Load times very quick. One thing that I just noticed is how much the waypoint system is improved in urban. I couldn't believe it when I ordered a sniper to get on top of a tower, certain position and he did it- climbed a ladder all by himself taking out many fools from his great position. Also had a guy take a rooftop and call out enemies, something I always wanted in OFP.

Have to agree with Fasad about the radio, way too robotic and loud, I play with headphones and sometimes I don't want to give orders so I wont get a headache.

Overall- can't wait for the full game biggrin_o.gif

One thing that I just noticed is how much the waypoint system is improved in urban. I couldn't believe it when I ordered a sniper to get on top of a tower, certain position and he did it- climbed a ladder all by himself taking out many fools from his great position. Also had a guy take a rooftop and call out enemies, something I always wanted in OFP.

I'm also playing the demo but when i tried telling my AI squad to move behind a building it took a long time for them to move there. It was frustrating to say the least. I'll download the new version of the demo and see if it has improved.