Sign in to follow this  
evilnate

To the people who are playing ArmA, how is it?

In OFP droping to one knee and using the iron sights was fairly accurate, you had to account for bullet drop but aiming for the centre mass and remaining stationary was enough to hit a stationary target.

But i've seen several videos were the aimpoint has bee pointing at a seemingly unmissable target around 150 metres away only for the first couple of rounds fired to miss, so what are the shooters not taking into account?

I personally find it much harder to hit anything in arma than in OFp.

The mouse sensibility is too much even at lowest and the movement of the aiming feels like a yorkshire pudding.

The mouse sensibility is too much even at lowest and the movement of the aiming feels like a yorkshire pudding.

That's great news!

I've fired an Ak-47 many times, there's a lot of recoil that isn't simulated in OFP. I'm glad to hear that it will require more skill to shoot targets. yay.gif

I just don't understand what was going through BIS' heads when they released this. It's like, they knew that the modding community is strong and has come leaps and bounds since OFP came out, and therefore have had the attitude that "Ah well, there are a lot of talented modders out there who'll surely correct this product, let's just release it as is, and hope that they are as patient as they were with OFP"...

Hardly progress confused_o.gifsad_o.gif

You are disregarding the work that was put in the game dispite the dificulties found to release it (publisher), you are also making inflamatory remarks in a very childish acusation tone. We dont know all that goes behind the scene do we wink_o.gif ?

Just be happy your talented modders will get their mod tools, documentation and that patches will be released to sort out the bugs. Remember that BIS isnt backed up by a fat publisher who would support Armas development, advertise and put the game on store shelves, the early income generated by this early release might be fundamental in order to invest on a "wider" Armed Assault release.

OPF was under development for many years ( 6? ) and its release was delayed several times, they worked hard and to the last minute and after release they continued to work on it for years instead of moving on to the next "product".

Think well before you post stuff like that, BIS could have given up and focussed 100% on the serious games market where they dont have to put up with this kind of bs.

Dont try aiming with an FPS <20, its near to impossible tounge2.gif

But even with a higher FPS aiming became a bit harder, it feels like there is alot of weapon sway when you are moving your mouse (when using the iron sight) (not sure if there actually is, but when i turned my mouse sensivity lower aiming got alot easier)

I will show you exactly why the grass is such an issue for so many people.

I am in the group that thinks, if its just being used as eye candy, get rid of it!!!! Here is a couple pictures demonstrating why grass would be great at range, and yes it would conceal you alot of times. But with it only drawing to about 30 meters, there is no point in having it.

This is a picture taken of my unit, hes 10 meters in front of me.

[*img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/captain_fuzzhead/project%20reality/TEST1.jpg[/img]

This is a picture taken, Im in the exact same position, only this picture is taken in third person so you can see where my troop is.

[*img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/captain_fuzzhead/project%20reality/TEST2.jpg[/img]

This picture is taken of me back about 30 meters away from my troop. Notice, hes no longer hidden at all, because the grass is no longer drawing.

[*img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/captain_fuzzhead/project%20reality/TEST3.jpg[/img]

Now for those of you saying 'well, you cant hide in the grass all that well anyways!' Well how the hell would YOU know if you've never been able to try it anyways!!! I guarantee you that if the grass was drawn at a distance, it would be a very hard time to discern if that tiny lump out there was a prone soldier or a rock. The fact is, thats exactly what the prone soldier is thinking, hes thinking, with all this grass around me, its going to be very hard to see me if I sit very still. But of course he isnt covered by grass at all, the game is lying to him.

This is a huge issue for alot of gamers, its cheap, dirty 'wow that looks cool' tricks that up until recently mostly only console games used. But now computer games (BF2, Oblivion, now ArmaA) are starting to use too, and its a low blow to us realism fans, who love WYSIWYG.

Please make the grass a server side option. In its current state I want it permanently, DISABLED.

The same thing was in Elite (i tested it). Although it was never a prob for me, i didn't even think about it then.

But fact is fact ... disappearing grass is just not correct.

I'm curious to see how/if this will be solved.

But even with a higher FPS aiming became a bit harder, it feels like there is alot of weapon sway when you are moving your mouse (when using the iron sight) (not sure if there actually is, but when i turned my mouse sensivity lower aiming got alot easier)

Press and hold the right mouse button when aiming with ironsights to hold breath. There will be (for a short time) no sway at all and you'll got a bit of additional zoom...

Press and hold the right mouse button when aiming with ironsights to hold breath. There will be (for a short time) no sway at all and you'll got a bit of additional zoom...

Ive no problem with the sway when im not moving my mouse (played WGL5 alot so im used to more sway), but aiming (moving the mouse to another position) your weapon with the iron sights just feel different (harder) then in OFP.

EDIT: Which is a good thing IMO biggrin_o.gif

you are also making inflamatory remarks in a very childish acusation tone.

Childish accusation tone? Inflamatory remarks huh.gif

What are you talking about? To me, ArmA, at the moment, looks like a rushed product. There are no two ways around this fact.

If BIS had been more thorough, there wouldn't be people saying things like "It's OK, all will be fixed in X number of patches"

OK, I understand that new software will always require post-release tweaks and fixes, but not to the extent ArmA appears to need. Floating tanks on bridges, badly timed animations, poor flight model, half-done weapons (Javelin for instance), poor quality radio messages... These are all gameplay altering bugs, this is a game. Your car cannot be driven properly if the steering is flawed, if certain components are of poor build quality...

Basically, people are paying for an unfinished product, or at least a poorly tested product

That's great news!

I've fired an Ak-47 many times, there's a lot of recoil that isn't simulated in OFP. I'm glad to hear that it will require more skill to shoot targets.  yay.gif

Thats not great news... that fucks up the gameply.

And Btw, havent even tested the ak... but if with a silenced m4 its difficult just to aim without shooting to a soldier i cant imagine what will it be to shoot with an ak...

If you werent sarcastic:

1680x1050 normal-high details.. v sync on ( no tearing ) and 60 constant FPS.

Quote[/b] ]But even with a higher FPS aiming became a bit harder, it feels like there is alot of weapon sway when you are moving your mouse (when using the iron sight) (not sure if there actually is, but when i turned my mouse sensivity lower aiming got alot easier)

Ive turned it down to the second bar to the left and still feels like that... ( weapon sway looks like a good definition, i may open a thread about this ).

The problem is that if you turn that completely to zero the soldier movement gets slow... so you still have " weapon Sway" and your soldier acts even more robotic than at default setting

OK, I understand that new software will always require post-release tweaks and fixes, but not to the extent ArmA appears to need. Floating tanks on bridges, badly timed animations, poor flight model, half-done weapons (Javelin for instance), poor quality radio messages... These are all gameplay altering bugs, this is a game. Your car cannot be driven properly if the steering is flawed, if certain components are of poor build quality...

Except for the flight model none of these bugs have anything to do with the gameplay (or are nonexistant). BIS (tried) seems to have fixed all the bugs that had something to do with the gameplay, or crashing the game (it hasnt crashed once in the +-50 hours i played it).

There was 1 occasion where i couldnt finish a mission and that was due the AI crashing a car into a wall.

BIS made a fully working game, with some (sometimes annoying) smaller bugs.

And about the voices.. Overall they are quite good, but there are 2-4 voices which are very weird and are made by different people for 1 voice (who where singing instead of talking)

What are you talking about?

...therefore have had the attitude that "Ah well, there are a lot of talented modders out there who'll surely correct this product, let's just release it as is, and hope that they are as patient as they were with OFP"...

That... its a very rude and ignorant statement.

The game seems atleast stable, something many higher budget tittles cant brag about. Go back and read my post if you didnt understand it. If you feel that the current amount of issues is too serious for you to enjoy Arma, wait for it to be patched before you consider purchasing or dont purchase it at all. Im tired of all this negativity about small, minor flaws that makes it look like there isnt anything good about Arma...

I will show you exactly why the grass is such an issue for so many people.

I am in the group that thinks, if its just being used as eye candy, get rid of it!!!! Here is a couple pictures demonstrating why grass would be great at range, and yes it would conceal you alot of times. But with it only drawing to about 30 meters, there is no point in having it.

This is a picture taken of my unit, hes 10 meters in front of me.

[ihttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/captain_fuzzhead/project%20reality/TEST1.jpg[]

This is a picture taken, Im in the exact same position, only this picture is taken in third person so you can see where my troop is.

[ihttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/captain_fuzzhead/project%20reality/TEST2.jpg]

This picture is taken of me back about 30 meters away from my troop. Notice, hes no longer hidden at all, because the grass is no longer drawing.

[ihttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/captain_fuzzhead/project%20reality/TEST3.jpg]

Now for those of you saying 'well, you cant hide in the grass all that well anyways!' Well how the hell would YOU know if you've never been able to try it anyways!!! I guarantee you that if the grass was drawn at a distance, it would be a very hard time to discern if that tiny lump out there was a prone soldier or a rock. The fact is, thats exactly what the prone soldier is thinking, hes thinking, with all this grass around me, its going to be very hard to see me if I sit very still. But of course he isnt covered by grass at all, the game is lying to him.

This is a huge issue for alot of gamers, its cheap, dirty 'wow that looks cool' tricks that up until recently mostly only console games used. But now computer games (BF2, Oblivion, now ArmaA) are starting to use too, and its a low blow to us realism fans, who love WYSIWYG.

Please make the grass a server side option. In its current state I want it permanently, DISABLED.

dont worry about the grass , i have found a work around smile_o.gif

no more grass problems

On the topic of aiming, Red Orchestra has a realy nice gradual free-aim. Instead of an abrupt transition from floating crosshair to turning your player, your weapon moves and your player gradualy turns faster. It's a lot smoother. That plus Infiltration's... everything, would make the ultimate FPS experiance. ^_^

After playing Infiltration again last night, the movement seems jarring and un-natural in ArmA.

Quote[/b] ]On the topic of aiming, Red Orchestra has a realy nice gradual free-aim.

RO is a pretty good game, but can't compete with the OFP series in my opinion. For me, the feeling I get when playing RO is that it's a game between OFP and Call of Duty. RO isn't that realistic, nor is it hard to play (it's easier than America's Army in my opinion).

What I miss in RO is the atmosphere, what I miss are the planes / choppers. I don't like the tanks in RO, they're too well weird for me. Although driving is pretty cool in those tanks. For me OFP / ArmA are the ultimate realism games, superior to RO. RO just doesn't seem to cut it, I miss the "war" feeling, the being part of an army feeling.

Question:

Does ArmA feature ANY hand to hand combat, oder knives or something like this?

Not at all...

Too bad... I hoped there would be any possibility for some swordfighting confused_o.gif

Question:

Does ArmA feature ANY hand to hand combat, oder knives or something like this?

Not at all...

Too bad... I hoped there would be any possibility for some swordfighting confused_o.gif

And there wouldn't be with mods? The new animation system is a god-send to what we had before. We have every opportunity now to really make whatever we wish... once the bugs are fixed and the modding tools are released! tounge2.gif

- dRb

Xiiiiiiiiii, already so many players? Well i will repport my impressions as soon as i receive the game crazy_o.gif

I cant think of a realistic combat situation where a soldier would "hide" in some grass, you can hide behind a rock, some bushes or in a forest, with the amount of world detail we have in Arma hidding in the grass seems... wrong confused_o.gif .

"Hiding in grass" [or at least "in the open"] isn't so unusual,

so it's a great shame that the grass in "Armed Assault"

doesn't really support it. I'd tried some of the grass addons

with "Operation Flashpoint" and was looking forward to a

professional implementation of it.

Soldiers are taught (or at least we were when I was

one, 20 years ago) to avoid "obvious cover" like [isolated]

trees and bushes. Just for interest, here's a pic from one

of my old training pamphlets:

cover-1.jpg

If the grass had been implemented in a realistic way it might

even have mitigated some of the worst iniquities of the AI's

simplistic "take cover" behaviour.

Let's hope it gets fixed soon.

Just out of curiosity: I've seen a few screen shots with what looks like an electricity substation (blue boxes with orange/red tops). Does this substation have any effect on the lighting on the island or city in question? Will blowing it up destroy the power on the island or the portion of the island.

I only ask because it would be a pretty cool feature to have in order to gain a tactical advantage, by knocking the power out and sending troops with NVG's to clear out a besieged town.

Obviously directed at anyone with the game, it may be worth trying out in order to see if there are any effects, it may just turn out to be eye-candy. Though it could prove very useful in multi-player. I know Mapfact had a feature like this in one of their addon releases where you could cut the power to the base at a terminal and then assault it.

Just out of curiosity: I've seen a few screen shots with what looks like an electricity substation (blue boxes with orange/red tops). Does this substation have any effect on the lighting on the island or city in question? Will blowing it up destroy the power on the island or the portion of the island.

I only ask because it would be a pretty cool feature to have in order to gain a tactical advantage, by knocking the power out and sending troops with NVG's to clear out a besieged town.

Obviously directed at anyone with the game, it may be worth trying out in order to see if there are any effects, it may just turn out to be eye-candy. Though it could prove very useful in multi-player. I know Mapfact had a feature like this in one of their addon releases where you could cut the power to the base at a terminal and then assault it.

Probably not without scripting, but if you made it an objective in your mission for example it would certainly be doable.

Quote[/b] ]On the topic of aiming, Red Orchestra has a realy nice gradual free-aim.

RO is a pretty good game, but can't compete with the OFP series in my opinion. For me, the feeling I get when playing RO is that it's a game between OFP and Call of Duty. RO isn't that realistic, nor is it hard to play (it's easier than America's Army in my opinion).

What I miss in RO is the atmosphere, what I miss are the planes / choppers. I don't like the tanks in RO, they're too well weird for me. Although driving is pretty cool in those tanks. For me OFP / ArmA are the ultimate realism games, superior to RO. RO just doesn't seem to cut it, I miss the "war" feeling, the being part of an army feeling.

He didn't compare the two as games, he stated the free aim in Red Orchestra is better. No one doubts that a combined arms sim like ArmA wipes the floor with a round by round FPS like RO in terms of scale and atmosphere, they are completely different games.

Quote[/b] ]

What are you talking about?

...therefore have had the attitude that "Ah well, there are a lot of talented modders out there who'll surely correct this product, let's just release it as is, and hope that they are as patient as they were with OFP"...

That... its a very rude and ignorant statement.

The game seems atleast stable, something many higher budget tittles cant brag about. Go back and read my post if you didnt understand it. If you feel that the current amount of issues is too serious for you to enjoy Arma, wait for it to be patched before you consider purchasing or dont purchase it at all. Im tired of all this negativity about small, minor flaws that makes it look like there isnt anything good about Arma...

Just to stick up for Shash, I agree with his view on the situation. I didn't see his remarks as rude or ignorant, and far from childish especially. I think we all expected a little more finess to this product. You can't ignore the current amount of people complaining over the same things. In my opinion, all of Shashman's points were valid, and this quote kind of sums it up.

Quote[/b] ]I'd tried some of the grass addons

with "Operation Flashpoint" and was looking forward to a

professional implementation of it.

As I say in all my posts like this: hopefully I will get to eat my words when i get the game.

But I for one expected a little less graphical sheen and a much stronger game in areas like AI and flight handling over OFP.

The best bug report I've read so far is by fuzzhead on page 22.

Probably not without scripting, but if you made it an objective in your mission for example it would certainly be doable.

Oh well, something to MOD at a later date. So that it could be used effectively in Multiplayer. The more strategic targets the better. It's a shame though not to have something that pretty have any real function other than to look good.