Sign in to follow this  
evilnate

To the people who are playing ArmA, how is it?

Well like Kyle said, even if it isn't hard coded, it can be simulated really easily and used to very convincing effect. Remember Mapfact's power switch for OFP?

My opinions of it are:

1. Excellent graphics, the graphics are a huge improvement and the game looks lovely and runs smoothly. Some of the textures are a bit questionable (such as some of the vehicle interiors) and I've had a few problems with LODs being funny and coming up at the wrong time. Other than that, it's beautiful.

2. Questionable AI, the AI is marginally better than OFP. It's barely noticeable. There are a number of glaring problems in the way AI reacts to situations, the group leader of a squad seems to have a suicidal approach of run in and get shot so the other troops advance and everyone else can shoot them. The AI needs some serious work, it's just not fun.

3. Vehicle control, generally everything here is fantastic. Flight feels a lot more realistic, and people who say OFP's flight model is more realistic than this have obviously never flown anything. Ground vehicles handle realisticly and I can't fault anything here.

4. Campaign and missions, oh dear... a hell of a lot of potential but I do actually wonder if they played through the campaign at all. First mission, game breaking bug where the units just stood around doing nothing. I restarted and completed that mission. Second mission, went smoothly. Third mission, another game breaking bug and a number of things that were supposedly happenening, weren't. Such as the enemy outflanking me. They weren't and I was told that they were. This needs a serious, serious patch.

In conclusion, this is just a huge mod for OFP. Don't be expecting a new game, because that's not what this is. It's a prettied up version of OFP that is going to need some serious patching/modding before it's a game worthy of the times.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic game, but it's far from perfect. There are a number of glaring issues that need to be addressed.

Probably not without scripting, but if you made it an objective in your mission for example it would certainly be doable.

Oh well, something to MOD at a later date. So that it could be used effectively in Multiplayer. The more strategic targets the better. It's a shame though not to have something that pretty have any real function other than to look good.

Maybe you didn't understand me, but it could be scripted in the mission even in MP. There's no need for it to be modded.

The biggest problem with ARMA is the broken transitions. The mechanics seem to be wrong.

In OFP, and most games, you feel like your in control of your player. In ARMA, it feels like your player is a drone and you use the keyboard to transmit command inputs, and after everything gets processed, your commands become actions.

Those and the air physics are things that a patch or the modders won't fix so easily.

And please stop talking about ARMA not being OFP 1.96. By version 1.20, OFP was pretty stable and playable. OFP 1.00 was not like this in the beginning.

Remember folks, OFP 1.00 got reviews of 90's and ARMA 1.00 got reviews of 70's.

That happens for a reason you know.

And why even compare the two? Bis should have at least learned from OFP's mistakes.

And for people who say other games are more buggy, please tell me which game? Other than oblivion at release, I doubt there's a buggier game out there.

If you name something, make sure it is as anticipated so we can have a fair comparison.

There are so many vidoes of bugs, its not even funny to talk about it.

And for people who say other games are more buggy, please tell me which game?  Other than oblivion at release, I doubt there's a buggier game out there.  

If you name something, make sure it is as anticipated so we can have a fair comparison.

I will but it's bringing the thread off topic.

Lock On: Modern Air Combat

I waited a long time for this to come out and it is the buggiest game I've ever played on release. After a year and a massive upgrade, I was/am able to play it with max settings without too many bugs. I <3 modern air combat sims.

From the overall comments of the people that i've read opinions from so far is, that they aren't major bugs and should be something BIS can remedy.

I understand the angst though. I think most of us have been dreaming about what this will be like and it's not what we imagined - so that sux I know. If lomac can be fixed, i'm quite sure this can too. smile_o.gif

The biggest problem with ARMA is the broken transitions.  The mechanics seem to be wrong.

In OFP, and most games, you feel like your in control of your player.  In ARMA, it feels like your player is a drone and you use the keyboard to transmit command inputs, and after everything gets processed, your commands become actions.  

Those and the air physics are things that a patch or the modders won't fix so easily.

And please stop talking about ARMA not being OFP 1.96.  By version 1.20, OFP was pretty stable and playable.  OFP 1.00 was not like this in the beginning.  

Remember folks, OFP 1.00 got reviews of 90's and ARMA 1.00 got reviews of 70's.  

That happens for a reason you know.  

And why even compare the two?  Bis should have at least learned from OFP's mistakes.  

And for people who say other games are more buggy, please tell me which game?  Other than oblivion at release, I doubt there's a buggier game out there.  

There are so many vidoes of bugs, its not even funny to talk about it.

Are you joking? OFP 1.0 had an ASSLOAD of bugs, including a few infinite ammo glitches and broken missions in the campaign. There are also many other reasons why OFP got a 90 and ArmA got a 70...

- OFP was completely new when it came out. There were no predecessors. The idea was original and the game, for its time, had fairly good graphics. ArmA, while still new, is not nearly as original as the original game and (IMO) isn't supposed to be. I consider it OFP 1.5 and that's exactly what I'm getting.

- A lot of people are pretty much completely overlooking the minimum requirements and are trying to run the game anyway. DUH! Of course you're going to get shitty performance!! I think the groups that just raise a crayon-drawn sign over their heads, stating that their the next greatest review site since sliced bread need to shut the hell up. Yes, their opinion matters. Yes, they have the right to share their opinion. But at least know how a computer works and don't expect everything to run "magically."

-----------------------------------------

Now I realize that the game is buggy. I've seen all the videos and laughed a good lot of them, but isn't that what patches are for? I mean we, the "Almighty" community asked for a sequal to OFP for ages and specifically asked for MANY particular upgrades. However, there is a limit that small companies like BIS eventually reach. They keep working without profit and guess what happens? They go broke. So they sign small-scale deals with equally small-scale publishers. These publishers also don't possess the amazing money-bearing trees that EA, Ubisoft, etc. have, so they too are anxious to release the game, especially a game being so hungrily lusted for by the community. They do the logical thing...

They release the damn thing with the intent of CONTINOUS development to CONTINOUSLY fix bugs and glitches, as well as implement new features. Now you may think we live in a world of perfection and flying pigs, but ALL modern pc games run through a gauntlet of patches. We simply have to wait and let BIS do their job. If you and everyone else want to be a bunch of negative nancies, then channel that anger into bug reports and help progress be made. Otherwise you're just acting like immature children.

That's it...

- dRB

Huuu?? No offense but you haven't been playing sims/games for long have you?

There are quite a few examples of buggy sims/games released over the past decade or so. As EvilNate says LOMAC was quite a mess when it arrived, so was OFP 1.00 (as DrBobcat mention) other "reward for buggy sim/game on release" in my book are the following titles...

Falcon 4.0 (original 1998 release)

Falcon 3.0 + addons

Battlefield 2

Faces of War

Sims/games that held high standard on release was Jane's Longbow 1, Longbow 2, F-15, F/A-18, 688AS. They where not 100% bug free either of course but existing bugs on release was few and most of the times those where addressed with one single patch.

Since I don't have ArmA yet I can't really comment on that but due to it's impressive scale I really don't expect ArmA to be bug free on initial release and it don't really matters!

What matters most is if the developers stand behind their products and release patches that fix the problems and I'm confident that BIS will fix whatever issues there is in ArmA, just like they did with OFP! All we have to do is to give them feedback/bugreports (as grown up's) and show some patience so they have a chance to work...

/KC

1. Stop blaming it on the community. We didn't ask for anything. We just made suggestions and so far theres not one suggestion that they took in game. Maybe swiming if it was suggested, but its useless since it wasn't done right, especialyl to the AI. For example an AI might decide to swim and lose his gun when you order him accross a riven, EVEN THOUGH there is a bridge right next to him. In this sense swiming causes more things then it fixes. Grass if that even was a suggestion. Its more like eyecandy and I doubt it was a suggestion...

2. Out of all the games listed, only BF2 is as anticipated as ARMA is. I doubt the other games had huge expectation and a massive fanbase to wait for them. And BF2 was not as buggy, I can prove that but not in this thread.

And reviews have nothing to do with originality. Or else HL2 and D3 would all have got 50's fot not for being "original". Stop pulling stuff out of thin air.

And like I said before, bugs are not even what ruins the game.

Out of all the games listed, only BF2 is as anticipated as ARMA is.  I doubt the other games had huge expectation and a massive fanbase to wait for them.

Stealth3, please go search old forums for Falcon 4.0 and LOMAC  (in some web archive or usenet) and you will be proven wrong.

They maybe wasn't anticipated by you but they surely was highly anticipated by many many people in the flightsim community, especial Falcon 4.0.

Quote[/b] ]

And BF2 was not as buggy, I can prove that but not in this thread.

I disagree.

PS: Personally I'm not blaming anyone for anything but if someone is 16+ I do beleive it's time for them to start acting as an adult and stop whining like a kid. I don't mean you Stealth3 personally but in general.

/KC

Quote[/b] ]In conclusion, this is just a huge mod for OFP. Don't be expecting a new game, because that's not what this is. It's a prettied up version of OFP that is going to need some serious patching/modding before it's a game worthy of the times.

Amazingly, almost 2 years ago, thats all I thought it would be.

I might end up buying it, perhaps in a year or 2. I can't justify paying Å40 for a game that, ignoring gfx and dodgy handling, has hardly changed one iota.

Perhaps by then there will be enough mod's and addons worthy enough.

I'll wait for the demo to make my judgement concrete, however.

I wonder if the guys spouting all this "buggy" nonsense have even played the game? After one and a half weeks of playing in ran into two bugs.

1. Non-silenced MP-5 does not have any recoil modeled yet

2. a BMP drove into a house and killed me on the roof. Happened once.

What are "all" these bugs?

Quote[/b] ]What are "all" these bugs?

Go to page 23 in this topic, scroll down to a post by a guy called fuzzhead.

Maybe you didn't understand me, but it could be scripted in the mission even in MP. There's no need for it to be modded.

Completely understood you, it's just that I've started to use MOD to mean everything these days crazy_o.gif ...bad habit. I am more than certain that something like this will be scripted in. Much as I love how ArmA looks (B E A U T I F U L!!! ) I was just hoping that there would be a few more nice tactical toys hence the original question.

Daniel @ Nov. 29 2006,00:28)]...Remember Mapfact's power switch for OFP?

Yep smile_o.gif

It's what inspired me to try and find out if such an option was 'hardcoded' into to ArmA, was being hopeful.

thumbs-up.gif

Then look a few posts further where his theory is completely discredited... huh.gif

Ah, should have been clearer, I meant his second post. The bug report.

Not all these are "bugs" but more missing features, behavior he doesn't like, and annoying engine limitations.

I think we should really classify correctly what we're talking about.

The bug thread, with Placebo syntax, is a good start for bugs.

Then there's these "things badly done", like, for me from what I see in vids, voices that seem horrible.

Then the "engine upgrades" we'd like to see, better building collapses, etc...

Blaming BIS cause the building collapse is "buggy" would be rather ... not true. They've done it "the best they could" with ArmA engine.

That would avoid quite a bit of fights over this "piece of buggy software" wink_o.gif

I have not seen many post about online play and since this is why i am buying the game, i'd like to know peoples experience online. Like is there any bad lagg and how many players are we going to see on a server without lagg.

I have not seen many post about online play and since this is why i am buying the game, i'd like to know peoples experience online. Like is there any bad lagg and how many players are we going to see on a server without lagg.

Seemed to work rather well when we tried it with 6-8 players with coop missions.

Do you have to install Gamespy to play this online. Or does it have its own ingame browser

>Did it meet your expectations?

No, its same OPF just with better graphics, even have old bugs in it, i expected OPF2 not this, and speaking this is not OPF2 is BS they wont gona make OPF2 next 2-4 years for sure, so maybe i stick with BF2 after while.

>How's the AI compared to OFP?

Same dump AI only thing it doing good is dies.

Do you have to install Gamespy to play this online. Or does it have its own ingame browser

It has ingame browser, wich is GameSpy powered smile_o.gif

Darn... beaten by Trapper crazy_o.gif

Im disappointed by the sedan's dashboard biggrin_o.gif. Apart from that I like the game. Ofcourse Ive been playing that buggy as hell game SWAT4 for a couple of years so my standards may have become lowered...lol.

Im owning the german version and its just great. Played a few missions from the campaign and some solo and coop missions today and had much fun with a lot of atmosphere (Track IR rocks! ^^) There are bugs, sure, but they are forgotten, when you prepare an ambush with your friends in a coop mission, getting this typical OFP felling. smile_o.gif

And the quick patch today (which brought good performance boost) showed, that BIS is working hard to make the game become a great experience.

I just love it.

biggrin_o.gif