Sign in to follow this  
Avimimus

Helicopters in AA

Guys who cares how a real chopper flies anyway ?? This IS NOT a helo simulator !! This is OFP 1.5 smile_o.gif I really am extremely happy with the game but the chopper flying. Maybe BIS should give the player the option for realism ? I understand that maybe i am asking for a lot here but how difficult can it be? Let the player decide if he/she wants rudder controls, let the player decide if they want a simulator or if they want the OFP legendary flying model.

i reaaly like arma 1.2 heli controls responsive and controllable. sure some tweaking to make it perform even closer to real would be great but it's sweet right now.

BIS did a smart job here. really look forward to improvements as they happen.

I have to agree with craigsa here, I think having the option to fly a chopper, or even a plane arma style/ OFP style will appeal to a broader audience of OFP fans.

The banking and rolling is what screws me up in the game, after crashing a bunch of times, and reconfiguring my flight controls again and again, I threw in the towel, and went back and played OFP.

Arma is basicallythe enhanced version of OFP, why change something the previously worked fine before.  All they had to do is upgrade the lod, the texture and graphics, add some stuff, and whamo, but instead we get a new game with the OFP uniform on.

Bis should have made an super expansion pack, instead we have a new modern looking OFP that starts us back to the beginning. Did I miss something here. confused_o.gif

I love OFP notworthy.gif  inlove.gif But why start over.

Dunno if this has been mentioned and I'm not going through 36 pages of posts to find out but the AI still dont fly choppers properly. They "Jink" the helo up and down as they fly and it is very hard on the eyes. The only way to stop them is to set the flyinheight very high but this is not practical in a lot of cases.

E

Been really trying to get used to this control and i must say it is definitely improved from 1.01. Well done to BIS. I think the cobra is the most difficult in terms of maneuverability. Little birds and black hawks seem quite nice. Turned up sensitivity on "Y" axis so the pull up and push down is a lot more sensitive. Still trying to perfect rear view flying - very difficult coming from OFP

Still would love to have the old model back - smile_o.gif:) notworthy.gif

other than in game sensitivity to X, Y control axis....is there anything else to change? they are just too flip floppy, its fine one second with minor input, next thing you know, your on your side....

being a flight simmer, if i cant get a HOTAS to be used in a sim/game i dont play it.....EXCEPT here. this is the first time i've played a sim, where i get perfect control from a mouse! and f@ck all control, from the HOTAS. and this is the "updated" flight control?....eek, im glad i didnt get a chance to play the first version of it. why did they mess up an "acceptable" thing from OFP helo flight controls? (not perfect, but majority accepted it quite well for flight control)

in this day and age with games becoming more accepted with multiple controllers (track-IR) i would have thought that rudder pedals could be used in conjuntion with HOTAS/joystick set-up.

im not against twisty sticks....but i really wish that BIS included code for rudder pedal users sad_o.gif maybe in a later patch...?

I tell you i just "TRIED" the mission shoting up the convoy - OUCH. The Cobra is so sensitive. The speed is difficult to maintain (low speed) and you have to actually line up the white dot (from my understanding).

I still do not see how anyone can have a serious dog fight in the air?? crazy_o.gif

I tell you i just "TRIED" the mission shoting up the convoy - OUCH. The Cobra is so sensitive. The speed is difficult to maintain (low speed) and you have to actually line up the white dot (from my understanding).

I still do not see how anyone can have a serious dog fight in the air?? crazy_o.gif

you dont have dog fights with helicopters wink_o.gif

So what would you call having a fight between 2 attack choppers at high speed ?

things BIS should try out:

1.reduce sensetivity(a lot, for keyborad) for bank left/rightand pitch(works for both plane and chopper)

2.increase sensetivity(a bit, for keyborad on plane) of pitching

3.gives us the RUDDERRRRRR(works only for chopper, xcrew realism on plane)

EDIT:

just an idea to BIS:

dont put all those things into a single "all control" config

everything should have their own set of control

do not, i repeat DO NOT try to simplify the control, it make matter worse, not better

adding a little bit auto centering on chopper wont do any bad on realism

i TOTALLY AGREE

Well I asked before but nobody answered me or just no one has the answer. We now have a control curve for joysticks in the our configs(check readme for 1.02) has anyone messed with it to figure out how to make it more sensative to control inputs because Im sick of trying to fly with my X52 and it feel like Im in pudding...

the flight model is improved but input has not, the rudders still need some work as well they are totally lacking any authority over any speed beyond dead stop this includes the jets(where it really shows how wrong it is)

Guys who cares how a real chopper flies anyway ?? This IS NOT a helo simulator !! This is OFP 1.5 smile_o.gif I really am extremely happy with the game but the chopper flying. Maybe BIS should give the player the option for realism ? I understand that maybe i am asking for a lot here but how difficult can it be? Let the player decide if he/she wants rudder controls, let the player decide if they want a simulator or if they want the OFP legendary flying model.

It's not that people really want it to be as close to flying a chopper as possible. It's that people say "This and this and that is wrong, because this and this is how it is in real life". People constantly try backing up their opinion on wether the flightmodel sucks or rule with their helicopter "knowledge". Only problem is, if everyone were to be right, a helicopter would be a more amazing machine than it is. The damn thing would almost be able to bake you all your x-mas cakes while travelling back in time doing a hot extraction in vietnam at the same time whistle.gif That's why it would be nice to have a real chopper pilot to tell how it really is, so the ones backing up opinions with helicopter fantasies could be shut up, and so people would know what's a fact and what's utter BS about choppers.

shouldn't the helos that are going down crash instead of exploding suddenly? I'm not an expert, but afaik helo's fuselage can survive some serious crashes, thus saving the crew and passengers (might be random). Franze apaches were nice because you could manage to get out of the destroyed helo if the altitude and speed weren't to high.

Btw my arma isn't even 1.1 because there aren't any patches for my version yet (1.0.5 or something like that).

The choppers suck big time as do the vehicles. Untill they fix the rudder control there is no real control. I have never ever seen a game that doubles the twist grip with rudder and bank. But they may not fix it, so i have gone back to ofp. Atleast in ofp i am controlling the game and not the game controlling me. I wish now i had waited for the English version of this game when hopfully all the bugs would be sorted out. So far this game has brought me nothing but frustration. I just don't understand why BIS want to mess the controls up, when there was nothing wrong with the ofp controls.

Dudester i hope your points will be taken under consideration by BIS.

Its sad that people go back to OFP rather than playing Arma sad_o.gif .

Well, I like the new flight model more than the original one, but this isn't very realistic, is it?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AFdNo5yL33M

Well, if you don't like maneuvers like that, because you think they are not realistic, then simply don't fly them. I'm very happy with the flight model. Here is a little video I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNWpso3cwOM

My intention was to point out that the possibility to fly such maneuvers does not speak for the flight model.

My intention was to point out that the possibility to fly such maneuvers does not speak for the flight model.

I know. But I believe it comes pretty close and feels even more realistic than for example Flight Simulator 2004's helo model, which is a real PITA, when it comes to hovering. Other than EA's "AH-64D Longbow" I can't think of any other simulation that features helo flight as realisitic as ArmA's.

I really wish someone would make a new dedicated helo simulation like Longbow. I mean: it's 10 years since Longbow, which doesn't even work on modern systems anymore. It's long overdue!!

Or at least someone should mod a loooong and extensive helo only campaign for ArmA!

A looping with a Blackhawk? I now that this isn't possible. Even with modern attack choppers you need high velocities.

But the flight model of AA points in the right direction I think.

We relly need a chopper pilot with some comments!

I am a police officer and have been looking for a good reason to take a ride in our military surplus MH-6s.. Maybe this is the reason I have been looking for.. tounge2.gif

If anything I will ask them Monday about the flight dynamics of the MH-6 and helicopters flight in-general.

Since I work in our Public Affairs unit maybe I can get some video footage of the flight...Maybe we will see..

If possible I will interview on or off camera one of the pilots.. So send me some questions you would like me to ask.

What happens if you need the toilet while in flight, Is it a case of bombs away, if so i will remember not to look up.

Atleast in ofp i am controlling the game and not the game controlling me.

Couldnt have said it better !!