Sign in to follow this  
celoush

Armed Assault videos

I suppose if the AI can be altered, the AI that pulled out the binocs in that vid could have the FSM altered to if enemy <100m no to binocs. (I hope)

While creating my OFP missions, first order of business was removing sidearms and binocs from all officers. Guess I'll be doing this in ArmA too.

Hmmm a lot of people are asking for things in ArmA which aren't on my mind...

I'm interested in seeing the multiple guns in action on choppers, commander's MG on tanks, improved physics (no more bouncing through walls, easier to walk about inside buildings, JIP in MP, new units and vehicles which arent in default OFP and basically totally new things

On the harrier vids, I noticed the green 'peripheral vision' blip (that shows a unit just off the side of vision) was much more subtle than what I say on OFP:elite. I like it a lot!

After watching the Battle scene with the civilian (from the videos on armedassault.eu), I was surprised that the tanks didn't attack the helicopters in the air with their Commanders MG's. That's what they are there for right? confused_o.gif

I did love watching the AI fly the Helicopters above the battle though, they were a lot more elegant than the user controlled one in the other video's (but I guess it's all to do with getting used to the new flight model).

The new vids on http://www.armedassault.eu were very nice but I still see lots of old OFP bugs regarding collision detection (especially with choppers...) & jumping tanks,

Also bailing crew was not affected by LAW impact, Tanks don't attack choppers with their comm MG's, the civ fired at the tanks & choppers, but noone seems to care about it. (maybe he was setcaptive = true)

The enviroment & FX were gorgeous and I love the weaponrecoil

After watching the Battle scene with the civilian (from the videos on armedassault.eu), I was surprised that the tanks didn't attack the helicopters in the air with their Commanders MG's. That's what they are there for right? confused_o.gif

I did love watching the AI fly the Helicopters above the battle though, they were a lot more elegant than the user controlled one in the other video's (but I guess it's all to do with getting used to the new flight model).

Well lets consider this,you are a tank commander and find yourself in a fight with enemy tanks and helicopter buzzing around and not minding you. Would you pop out and take a shot at them when you know the enemy tank could just aim up,pop off some of its MG rounds and kill you that quick or would you prefer to wait until the tank is destroyed and then maybe attack the helicopter?

Yes i have always wanted a game sound like that, just listen to this "Battlefield 2 Supersonic bullet crack sound mod", im not a BF2 fan but i like this soundmod.. I also want that "echo" sound from all firing weapons.. sounds very good in my ears http://video.google.com/videopl....c+crack

BF2 mod thing sounds bit overdone compared to the real thing.. Here's the real thing - some guy just took camera out to range and shot at it smile_o.gif

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8309992055555328231

Check some other videos.  Dyslecxi posted some that caught the loud "crack" very well.  They were recorded by soldiers that were under fire and the sound is much more pronounced than in the video you posted; there's no mistaking it.  So the Battlefield sound mod did a pretty good job.  In reality, the "crack" could be much louder than heard in the mod.

edit:

I think this is the one he posted.

http://video.google.com/videopl....t&hl=en

but I still see lots of old OFP bugs regarding collision detection (especially with choppers...)

You mean this .... ?

chopperwhopper.jpg      rofl.gif

There is an upside down flight as well! I though they were supposed to be new flight dynamics! I hope this will be fixed it kinda looks silly!  sad_o.gif

I still see lots of old OFP bugs regarding collision detection (especially with choppers...) & jumping tanks,

Readjust your expectations. By now you should realise that ArmA isn't using a completely new engine. A certain amount of these "bugs"\shortcomings will exist regardless of how much the original engine is updated.

Well lets consider this,you are a tank commander and find yourself in a fight with enemy tanks and helicopter buzzing around and not minding you. Would you pop out and take a shot at them when you know the enemy tank could just aim up,pop off some of its MG rounds and kill you that quick or would you prefer to wait until the tank is destroyed and then maybe attack the helicopter?

Fair enough, I agree with you there. smile_o.gif

BUT, in the video, it was clear that most of the Armoured threats were disabled. Surely the next level of defence would be against, Cobra gunships armed with TOW's and possibly Hellfire missiles? confused_o.gif

I'm ignorant about this fact and could use some clarification: Can the NSV be operated and fired while 'Turned in' on theT72? huh.gif

but I still see lots of old OFP bugs regarding collision detection (especially with choppers...)

You mean this .... ?

There is an upside down flight as well! I though they were supposed to be new flight dynamics! I hope this will be fixed it kinda looks silly! sad_o.gif

Yup, I rather see the chopper totally destroyed when he hits a tree or building. Game over end of line. Now it's a very expensive wood"chopper" tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]Readjust your expectations. By now you should realise that ArmA isn't using a completely new engine. A certain amount of these "bugs"\shortcomings will exist regardless of how much the original engine is updated

I know, I can live with these bugs but it's a pity they're still there.

Quote[/b] ]but I still see lots of old OFP bugs regarding collision detection (especially with choppers...)

yup there alot of bugs, glad those czechs were around to beta it smile_o.gif.

btw looks like there after a patch and were only 3 days in , this could be a bumpy ride until q1 2007 .

patch pls ?

If you're a tank commander, would you stick you head out to fire your 12.7mm MG when the helicopter most likely carries a frigging minigun?? 2 second burst in your general direction and you would be swiss cheese.

I think the flying controls look amazing bad biggrin_o.gif You get a huge chopper like a mi17 steering so sharply it looks like it has no weight to it what so ever and it looks like a benny hill movie its all so fast!

Any chopper, if you pull as hard as you can on the stick, is going to lurch backwards uncontrollably - even the biggest. The key to chopper control is subtle, smooth movement. Granted, lighter choppers require less of an effort to stabilise, but even the biggest can be destabilised with excessive pulling on the stick. They've changed the flight physics to represent this more realistic method of control. The bonus is increased precision and the ability to more effectively control our chopper's movements.

Don't use the default OFP's chopper controls as the standard. They are amazingly unrealistically and completely tailored to the use of mouse and keyboard, not joystick (which operates a different throttle control method if used anyway). The new chopper physics look fine and any dangerous looking control is largely down to inexperience on the side of the pilot.

Quote[/b] ]Any chopper, if you pull as hard as you can on the stick, is going to lurch backwards uncontrollably

i admire your half fullglass sentimentality , but i gotta say on this one your talking utter shite.

what happens in that vid dosent happen . and after 4 years it aint an improvement, so i guess the glass is hmm not quite half full on this one

Fair enough, I agree with you there. smile_o.gif

BUT, in the video, it was clear that most of the Armoured threats were disabled. Surely the next level of defence would be against, Cobra gunships armed with TOW's and possibly Hellfire missiles? confused_o.gif

I'm ignorant about this fact and could use some clarification: Can the NSV be operated and fired while 'Turned in' on theT72? huh.gif

I went out and did little research (alright I used Google :P ):

Quote[/b] ] ...The 12.7-mm NSV anti-aircraft machine gun has a rotating mount, and there is no provision for firing it from within the tank. There are normally only a few small stowage boxes on the outside of the turret, and a single short snorkel is stowed on the left side of the turret. -From www.FAS.org

I guess firing the gun from within the tank is not possible. But I feel you would go to any length to protect the tank and using the Anit aircraft 12.7mm NSV as a forceful derrent againt direct attacks might prove useful. The question of survivability is something else though.

First of all, which video are we talking about? Is it the one with the convoy attack (there are two of those actually)?

Out of those two videos, I see nothing unrealistic in the way the Cobra handles. What IS unrealistic and thoroughly unforgiveable is the way the chopper can bounce off the ground and have its rotor blades mash into the ground with absolutely no penalty to it apart from a very minor chipping away of the armour. That is unrealistic and quite frankly rubbish. Glass isn't half full in that case, it's empty!

However, in terms of how the chopper moves and how it reacts to the player's control, it is fine. No manouvere in that video is outside of the bounds of reality.

I liked the feel of the MI17 in OFP it felt like it should big and heavy! That new vid made it look like it was an R/C model!

Heavy things move slowly/turn slowly it's called inertia! I just hope BIS hasn't turned flying into arcade just to please the noobs!  sad_o.gif

Also rotors are fragile and will not survive striking even water without breaking up let alone trees! .... Let’s wait and see!

notice in the official BIS release video when the player kill the driver of the truck the lights keep on wink_o.gif i bet engine will be on too..

I liked the feel of the MI17 in OFP it felt like it should big and heavy! That new vid made it look like it was an R/C model!

Heavy things move slowly/turn slowly it's called inertia! I just hope BIS hasn't turned flying into arcade just to please the noobs! sad_o.gif

Also when a big chopper goes down it makes a big splash! .... I understand that all crew members were rescued from that Chinook!

Also rotors are fragile and will not survive striking even water without breaking up let alone trees! .... Let’s wait and see!

If it is like u sayed, then they maybe changed it in the patches. I dont think that, BIS wants to make ArmA to some kind of S***y Acrade game like Battlefield. confused_o.gif

Holy crap that flight model seems awful, i prefer the sluggish OFP movement over that any day. Any helicopter would break apart with such turns crazy_o.gif

That Mi-17 video was certainly interesting. It looks like the test 'desert' island was used.

It looks like the helicopter can do new things but it jerks about so much and has lost its fluidity. As Red Kite said the OFP Helicopters (the heavy transport ones) had a 'bulkiness' in their manoeuvrability, they were cumbersome to move and you did get a sense of their weight. I guess we can only really judge the new flight model by getting our own hands on them, but the video did seem to show flimsy, haphazard steering, though this could also be the fact that the player was getting used to the new flight model.

I'm treating this release like I did the OFP release, all these things will be ironed out with time, and I guess BIS is getting a lot of feed back from these forums, so that they can provide patches and possible improvements where they are required and, in some cases, desired.

Yes, it is heartening to know that BIS have a proven track record of improving upon their games substantially via user feedback and free updates.

Holy crap that flight model seems awful, i prefer the sluggish OFP movement over that any day. Any helicopter would break apart with such turns crazy_o.gif

Yep! I've just had another look at that MI17 vid and the chopper vids from armedassault.eu. I certainly don't like the new chopper dynamics, they appear to have no weight, it just doesn't look right! I hope it gets patched! OFP was much better than this!  sad_o.gif