txalin

William Porter's Blog

No im not gay  tounge2.gif

Lets hope they fix the roads, still blurred and really makes the rest of the environment totally unrealistic  confused_o.gif

That because obviously whoever took the pics has Anisotropic filtering turned off and is probably only using Trilinear filtering. The same thing will happen with any game depending on the mip map settings used.

And for the sake of those who constantly remind us that AA is not in use, could someone learned enough please take the proactive measure and deduce wether these are just high res, or with AA? tounge2.gif They look plenty good enough for me.

Thanks in advance.

No im not gay tounge2.gif

Lets hope they fix the roads, still blurred and really makes the rest of the environment totally unrealistic confused_o.gif

That because obviously whoever took the pics has Anisotropic filtering turned off and is probably only using Trilinear filtering. The same thing will happen with any game depending on the mip map settings used.

Ah didn't know that, thought it was to do with the lods, or textures as ofp never really liked viewing flat textures. (runway markings)

I can only presume they are not using the full effects due to the fact of roleplay considering the camera he is using isn't of high quality or something on those lines. smile_o.gif

Very nice pictures! However, comparing the images side-to-side, it gets clear that the tide in the water rises/lowers steadely according to the time...  wich MIGHT mean there are no heavy tides here  biggrin_o.gif .

It could just be the phase of the moon is having the weakest effect on the sea hence it is a neap tide! A spring tide is where the moon has the greatest effect on the sea! Go here if you want to learn more on tides!   Clever.gif

This kinda spills the beans on this being an inlet rather than a proper lake though! Deliberate.gif

Also has anyone noticed that something smashed one of the reflectors after the truck passed! On the far right is the flattened reflector! What is that on the far left Berghoff?  wink_o.gif

duck.jpg

Anyhow, nice pictures especially of the lake/inlet, and a relief to see the blog updated at long last! I wonder when Will returns from leave though?  whistle.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Indeed,Its quite interesting with the dynamic shadows now,I love that feature,in most if not all games as time goes by,shadows remain the same,but now we'll get shadows that move with the direction of the sun,awesome biggrin_o.gif . Then of course is the water changes as already stated. Though that last image is rather strange,can't say I'v ever seen lighting like that,course I live in a forested area with little water so thats rather bound to happen..

As for the camera nick,read all of the blog rathe than a small section :P Frank bought another one that was less quality.

No he got it from the cook and he lost it. Looks like Frank isn't really attentive. First he drives a truck down into the sea then forgets to update Will's blog and then loses a cam.

Not a single nighttime screenshot yet confused_o.gif

The water still seems rather ugly in comparison to other games, the skyboxes look bad too.

The waters fine,you have to see it close up to really see how it looks,like other games.

As for the skybox,huh? If your talking about clouds then there isn't really anything wrong with em,remember clouds come and go and look like anything at many random times,its not always the same look or appearence.

Not a single nighttime screenshot yet  confused_o.gif

Yeah! I hope they do a much better nighttime rendering than in OFP! With the new lighting system hopefully this will be possible. Guess we'll have to wait'n see!

As for the water it looks fine to me ...

sea.jpg

And the sky don't forget is dynamic in ArmA as in OFP and unlike the static photo realistic skies used in most other games!  tounge2.gif

Look at the blog photos, see the rising tide?

Notice the small island behind the telegraph poll. See how the water level changes around it.

This also happens in OFP if you look.

Load up the desert island and place a gut at the waters edge.

Now change the time of day and the level of the water will change. I have yet to watch this happen in game though, but i'm sure it'll happen.

It should look nice at a distance too though and I'm just saying that I even seen nicer looking dynamic skies, Morrowind for example.

This is going to be a war game rather than a hiking or site seeing game. pistols.gif

When the bulets are ziping past you face, and smacking into the guy next to you, i doubt you'll care very much about the pretty seas or have time to look at the fluffy clouds floating by. wink_o.gif

It should look nice at a distance too though and I'm just saying that I even seen nicer looking dynamic skies, Morrowind for example.

LODs! Don't forget we don't know what graphic settings are being used in those screens!  wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ] This is going to be a war game rather than a hiking or site seeing game.

What made Far Cry special for me was not the crappy plot or the deadly but comical AI and the silly monsters, but that immersive and beautiful environment!  wink_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r
Not a single nighttime screenshot yet confused_o.gif

It looks veeery good and realistic in Elite. The DX9* adds a lot.

So I'm not worried wow_o.gif

Quote[/b] ] This is going to be a war game rather than a hiking or site seeing game.

I don't know about that. I know I'll go hiking inlove.gif

Indeed,Its quite interesting with the dynamic shadows now,I love that feature,in most if not all games as time goes by,shadows remain the same,but now we'll get shadows that move with the direction of the sun,awesome  biggrin_o.gif . Then of course is the water changes as already stated.

OFP allready has dynamic shadows that move depending on the suns direction, but the shadows are pretty basic in OFP compared to the new shadows and shaders used in ArmA.

Tides allready change in OFP gameplay, if you play long enough near where theres a low level water crossing you will notice the depth changes over time. In long CTI's this can make waterways crossable or uncrossable in vehicles depending on what time the CTI starts at in OFP.

I don't know about that. I know I'll go hiking inlove.gif

Me too!  biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I don't know about that. I know I'll go hiking inlove.gif

I remeber playing an Orienteering mod a couple of years back which was a great way to learn map+compass reading instead of just wandering around aimlessly. With all this additional outdoor good-looking scenery I hope that someone does something similar, or I'll have a go myself at converting some of the orienteering stuff for AA.

...me too actually.  biggrin_o.gif

Yes, i guess i'll be walking around the map, checking stuff out, along time before i start playing the game.

I'll probably try and hunt down the locations WIlliam has posted images of (or is that too sad?) wink_o.gif

...me too actually. biggrin_o.gif

Yes, i guess i'll be walking around the map, checking stuff out, along time before i start playing the game.

I'll probably try and hunt down the locations WIlliam has posted images of (or is that too sad?) wink_o.gif

Hehe i was going to do that too. I thought it would be pretty cool wink_o.gif

Who the hell doesn't go hiking? I used to make missions for that - put it on ridiculously nice islands like FDF mod ones, add a ton of NIM weather, a good ole-seagull script, and one objective:

- Make your way to <insert secluded spot here>. Take your time. biggrin_o.gif