txalin

William Porter's Blog

Hmm I see they revisted this spot. Someone should try to find it on the google earth map of sarahni.

[ig]http://www.armedassault.eu/images/photoalbum/53.jpg[/img]

[mg]http://www.armedassault.eu/images/photoalbum/183.jpg[/img]

It isn't that hard. You can clearly see the islands in the middle bay like area. It is taken from the southern part of the island along the north-eastern shore. There is a small dot of land in the water just offshore that you can see on the map and also in the photo.

I am fairly sure that that is right anyway there is always the possibility I looked at something wrong.

Indeed,Its quite interesting with the dynamic shadows now,I love that feature,in most if not all games as time goes by,shadows remain the same,but now we'll get shadows that move with the direction of the sun,awesome biggrin_o.gif . Then of course is the water changes as already stated.

OFP allready has dynamic shadows that move depending on the suns direction, but the shadows are pretty basic in OFP compared to the new shadows and shaders used in ArmA.

Tides allready change in OFP gameplay, if you play long enough near where theres a low level water crossing you will notice the depth changes over time. In long CTI's this can make waterways crossable or uncrossable in vehicles depending on what time the CTI starts at in OFP.

Hmm..never noticed the thing about the shadows...what I meant was that the water level changes and wil probably be like OFP:E,it rises but with waves rather than flat water.

Why do the pictures in Chippers post look so different from each other?

Like months if not year or so old,before the new animations,new models or normal maps.

I have 2 questions:

Where was/is William Porter?

Why blog was replyed by hes friend Frank and not him?

I have 2 questions:

1) On leave, presumably back in the US.

2) Frank is his buddy and agreed to look after his blog during his absence.  wink_o.gif

OFP allready has dynamic shadows that move depending on the suns direction, but the shadows are pretty basic in OFP compared to the new shadows and shaders used in ArmA.

I dont think they are truly dynamic, in OFP they were updated once every 5 minutes (or when the sun moved a bit, wich was standard once every 5 minutes) wink_o.gif

But it worked great, you almost never noticed that they skipped a small bit when they moved, and it didnt murder your FPS wink_o.gif

I have 2 questions:

1) On leave, presumably back in the US.

2) Frank is his buddy and agreed to look after his blog during his absence. wink_o.gif

Sorry, im not very familiar with that expression, on leave. frowning_classic.png

Does that mean he went for a "vacation" (to home) and be back to duty when vacation ends?

Sorry, im not very familiar with that expression, on leave. frowning_classic.png

Does that mean he went for a "vacation" (to home) and be back to duty when vacation ends?

Yep!  biggrin_o.gif

"On leave" can be for multiple reasons.

He earned a leave, and his C.O. granted him one because of his outstanding performance.

Family emergency. Such as a death in the family.

Pre-deployment leave. Although Will is already deployed it wouldn't apply here, but as a example. In the Marine Corps, before a MEU is to sail out the Marines get a "leave" to do as they wish.

just some examples.

maybe, if Porter arrived back to sarah , the island is actually at war ?

maybe, when Porter arrived back to sarah , the island is actually at war ?

what War?!?

Thats a vacation place! When William comes from "vacations" he will go to another vacations (Sara)

So, is William Army or Marine?

I see they use the AH1W (or "Z" as argued else where), i thought only the Marines had those?

I see they use the AH1W (or "Z" as argued else where), i thought only the Marines had those?

No clue, I haven't heard rank or procedure mentioned.

With digi-camo now being worn by all forces it is tough to tell. It started with the Marines, and the Army and other branches have adopted using it.

One of the few times the Marines got a toy first.

But my guess with the forces on Sara is Army, just as OFP was.

No clue, I haven't heard rank or procedure mentioned.

With digi-camo now being worn by all forces it is tough to tell. It started with the Marines, and the Army and other branches have adopted using it.

One of the few times the Marines got a toy first.

But my guess with the forces on Sara is Army, just as OFP was.

Hmmm...just did some detective work.

...i had a look on his blog biggrin_o.gif theres a link there to Army TImes may be a fair guess that he is army rather than Navy biggrin_o.gif

Still have yet to see any civilains, we know there are civilain cars, so who drives them?

Quote[/b] ]With digi-camo now being worn by all forces it is tough to tell. It started with the Marines, and the Army and other branches have adopted using it.

The USMC MARPAT pattern looks distinctly different from the Army's ACU. The soldiers we've seen are Army, since they're wearing ACU camo.

Quote[/b] ]With digi-camo now being worn by all forces it is tough to tell. It started with the Marines, and the Army and other branches have adopted using it.

The USMC MARPAT pattern looks distinctly different from the Army's ACU. The soldiers we've seen are Army, since they're wearing ACU camo.

I agree. they are "different" but they are both founded on the same idea. digital designed camo's..

With the pics shown. And digi's shown, it is a tough sell for me. Some pics look Marine, some Army, maybe poor video quality on my part...

I agree. they are "different" but they are both founded on the same idea. digital designed camo's..

With the pics shown. And digi's shown, it is a tough sell for me. Some pics look Marine, some Army, maybe poor video quality on my part...

Let me rephrase what I said.

As a former US Marine, who has seen more MARPAT than you could shake a stick at and owns both woodland and desert MARPAT and wore it ALL THE TIME, the shots we've seen are NOT MARPAT and are actually Army ACU.

It's not debateable.

It's ACU.

Every shot of ArmA I've seen that has a digital camo pattern has been of ACU.

Every single one.

Ok guy, take it easy biggrin_o.gif

US Marine eh? How long did you serve?

(Also what does MARPAT)

Case closed then, ACU. I'll take a Marine's answer as the absolute answer anyday.

Thanks for your service,

Indeed there are differences even behind the fundamentals; ACU is designed to be a multi-purpose camo that suits any environment to a reasonable degree, while MARPAT, on the other hand, is supposed to "blend in" exceptionally well in a specific (given) environment. The only thing they really have in common is a pixelated "digital" pattern - which is no longer a unique design.

ACU is designed to be a multi-purpose camo that suits any environment to a reasonable degree,

... I'm not so sure about that! ...

uselessacu.jpg

Can you see the soldier?  tounge2.gif

ACU works like any other camo ...useless in the wrong setting!  wink_o.gif

In the right setting however...

usefullacu.jpeg