txalin

William Porter's Blog

ACU is designed to be a multi-purpose camo that suits any environment to a reasonable degree,

... I'm not so sure about that! ...

I never said it worked... tounge2.gif Multicam would have been the better choice if the Army was willing to spend the money. Still, ACU is meant to replace both woodland and desert BDUs.

Camo is camo but its not always going to hide you with all of the gear and whatnot,unless the gear was colored the same which would probably cost even more.

I hope not everything in ArmA will be ACU or at least I hope addonmakers will not make every soldier in ArmA in ACU.Personally I'm tired of this damn camo,regardless of what those brains in the US Army say,I think the woodland and the desert camo were just fine and doing their job pretty well.

Before someone come here and explain me 100 reasons why ACU "it's the shit" I have to say that a soldier shouldn't do fashion shows on battlefield but wearing those pajamas it's plain ridiculous.

I hope not everything in ArmA will be ACU or at least I hope addonmakers will not make every soldier in ArmA in ACU.Personally I'm tired of this damn camo,regardless of what those brains in the US Army say,I think the woodland and the desert camo were just fine and doing their job pretty well.

Before someone come here and explain me 100 reasons why ACU "it's the shit" I have to say that a soldier shouldn't do fashion shows on battlefield but wearing those pajamas it's plain ridiculous.

I have to agree with you there mate! ACU = pyjamas!

Pyjamas

Give me BDU anyday!  tounge2.gif

Personally I'm tired of this damn camo,regardless of what those brains in the US Army say,I think the woodland and the desert camo were just fine and doing their job pretty well.

I can't speak for ACU, but having had extensive experience with traditional woodland cammies and MARPAT woodland/desert, I'd take the MARPAT stuff any day of the week. During the transition period from the old to the new cammies, I paid careful attention to how much people stood out in various situations with the different types of camo. MARPAT was far superior, no questions asked. The original woodland camo pattern is just pathetic in comparison to anything else out there... it draws the eye's attention much moreso than digital camo.

But hey, whatever. If you want to believe the digital camo isn't superior to the old stuff, by all means, feel free. icon_rolleyes.gif

I think the number of countries using it these days (or moving towards using it) speaks volumes for how effective it is.

Had you been paying attention you would see soldiers in desert BDU and the North forces in Woodland type camo.

Anyone knows how did William go to Sahrani?

By Boat/Plane/Chopper?

Wich Boat/Plane/Chopper?

What kinda transportation/vehicles they used to upnload their equipments to the Sahrani?

Red Kite - those ACU are Gen. 1. Obsolete. The latter generation is darker, more tan, and all around better.

But Multicam still whoops, ass, I agree. It's a pity the US Army ain't using it.

Personally I'm tired of this damn camo,regardless of what those brains in the US Army say,I think the woodland and the desert camo were just fine and doing their job pretty well.

I can't speak for ACU, but having had extensive experience with traditional woodland cammies and MARPAT woodland/desert, I'd take the MARPAT stuff any day of the week. During the transition period from the old to the new cammies, I paid careful attention to how much people stood out in various situations with the different types of camo. MARPAT was far superior, no questions asked. The original woodland camo pattern is just pathetic in comparison to anything else out there... it draws the eye's attention much moreso than digital camo.

But hey, whatever. If you want to believe the digital camo isn't superior to the old stuff, by all means, feel free. icon_rolleyes.gif

I think the number of countries using it these days (or moving towards using it) speaks volumes for how effective it is.

I agree with this but talking about the game I think we should have the option to choose what we like,afterall AI won't give a crap if you're wearing BDU or ACU,you're still going to end up dead.

Plus I don't have any field experience, but I'm not sure how superior ACU is in an dense forest or other vegetation.

It's not meant to be superior, simply to work adequately in all environments. ACU was introduced to ease logistics more than anything else.

red kite that is the ACU proto-type

This is the current ACU.

acu-pic01.jpg

I agree with this but talking about the game I think we should have the option to choose what we like,afterall AI won't give a crap if you're wearing BDU or ACU,you're still going to end up dead.

Plus I don't have any field experience, but I'm not sure how superior ACU is in an dense forest or other vegetation.

I find it amusing to see how people can be all for realism in some regards yet totally dismiss it in others.

I don't personally know how the Army is doing it these days, but if I had to guess it's something similar to my experience in the Marines when we were transitioning from the old style cammies to the new MARPAT stuff. There was a period where people could wear the old ones, but after awhile they were phased out and no longer appropriate for wear.

So, if the same basic situation has taken place in the Army, there's no way you'd be able to "choose" to wear the old BDU's. Your immediate superior (NCO) would likely eat you alive if you tried it.

As to your last bit, like you said, you don't have any field experience. It's nice to hypothesize on things like this without any real-world experience, but always remember that you, again, do not have any real-world experience and thus your opinion in matters like this is worth precisely how much we pay for it ($0.00).

I agree with Dslyecxi posts, just a side note: I made a discussion with an US ARMY Sgt. from the 82nd Airborne about the new ACU, he sad the new uniform is much better every way than the old BDU. Perhaps someone, who used this uniform in Iraq, have enough credibility...

I'v heard a few things about the ACU,some soldiers saying it was more comfortable and had more places to hold things and whatnot.

I don't personally know how the Army is doing it these days, but if I had to guess it's something similar to my experience in the Marines when we were transitioning from the old style cammies to the new MARPAT stuff. There was a period where people could wear the old ones, but after awhile they were phased out and no longer appropriate for wear.

I'll have to make a call and double check but I believe they still have the old woodlands on the ramps at 29palms.

'Course, that's on the ramps, where they are wrenching. I only know this from a family member currently serving. And that was a few months ago when I got the last pic, so just as you described, they may be phased out and he never mentioned that in the last call.

I find it amusing to see how people can be all for realism in some regards yet totally dismiss it in others.

So, if the same basic situation has taken place in the Army, there's no way you'd be able to "choose" to wear the old BDU's. Your immediate superior (NCO) would likely eat you alive if you tried it.

As to your last bit, like you said, you don't have any field experience. It's nice to hypothesize on things like this without any real-world experience, but always remember that you, again, do not have any real-world experience and thus your opinion in matters like this is worth precisely how much we pay for it ($0.00).

Let me explain this for you again since it seems you didn't understand it although I was pretty clear.It seems we're repeating the whole "changing characters in ArmA sucks" scandal.

I simply don't care how good this camo is so your whole RL experience and advantages with ACU doesn't apply here because we're talking about a bunch of pixels.No NCO will come in this game and kick your nuts off because you want to wear a different camo or pilot that Apache.

Realism you say?I'm all for it and we're talking here about BIS,probabily the best out there who can make a realistic game but still a game.

I'm talking about options,options to have different camo,different gear and other equipment to satisfy a lot more people.It's not about taking out realism but adding more stuff to the game(afterall we're still talking about adding real life equipment,not some bling-bling laser thing).

And hey it's pretty wrong to be a pilot with a SMAW and an Uzi but people still do it,why?Because it's a game and you can do anything in it,saying that wearing ACU and ditch other camo in a game because US Army says so,I'm sorry but we're going here in the line of absurd,how about we shouldn't let gamers to drive that Humvee because they don't have a driving license.You know it's a pretty thin line between realism&fun,balance is the key.  wink_o.gif

Finally as for "your opinion in matters like this is worth precisely how much we pay for it ($0.00)." I'll let others  what to think about my opinion,I wasn't aware that they choosed you voice of the people.

His opinion is worth has much has everyone else's here, being a former serviceman does not give you rights to bash and disrespect other users and their opinions on this forum.

I know another forum where they will give you a special avatar and you can be worshiped by teenagers if thats what your looking for notworthy.gif .

Let me explain this for you again since it seems you didn't understand it although I was pretty clear.It seems we're repeating the whole "changing characters in ArmA sucks" scandal.

I simply don't care how good this camo is so your whole RL experience and advantages with ACU doesn't apply here because we're talking about a bunch of pixels.No NCO will come in this game and kick your nuts off because you want to wear a different camo or pilot that Apache.

Having a standard feature be the option to change your uniform is just asking for trouble. Having it as an option on certain user-made missions may be ok, but making it so that any player can pick whatever uniform they want for a mission is completely unrealistic and a poor design decision.

Quote[/b] ]Realism you say?I'm all for it and we're talking here about BIS,probabily the best out there who can make a realistic game but still a game.

I'm talking about options,options to have different camo,different gear and other equipment to satisfy a lot more people.It's not about taking out realism but adding more stuff to the game(afterall we're still talking about adding real life equipment,not some bling-bling laser thing).

As a user-created thing after-the-fact, perhaps. As a standard feature for the core game, only if it works within the realm of believability. Such that you can change your ammo loadout, or pick a different optic for your weapon, but not do something stupid like wear a totally different uniform than the squad you're with.

Quote[/b] ]saying that wearing ACU and ditch other camo in a game because US Army says so,I'm sorry but we're going here in the line of absurd,

It's absurd to have the player wearing the same uniforms as the rest of his unit? Ooohkay.

Quote[/b] ]how about we shouldn't let gamers to drive that Humvee because they don't have a driving license.You know it's a pretty thin line between realism&fun,balance is the key. wink_o.gif

You can jump in a vehicle as a normal human being in the "Real world" and start driving even without a license. I don't see any reason why the same wouldn't be true in a virtual world. There's no reason for a soldier in the heat of combat to not be able to take over as a driver in a HMMWV if the driver is KIA or whatever.

Quote[/b] ]Finally as for "your opinion in matters like this is worth precisely how much we pay for it ($0.00)." I'll let others what to think about my opinion,I wasn't aware that they choosed you voice of the people.

I never said that I was the "voice of the people". The $0.00 opinion sword cuts both ways.

I didn't said that I must be the only one in the game to wear a different camo. Instead this option should be available if you want to change the camo for you and your forces in-game.

Heard of FFUR??You have the option in that mod to either choose an ACU or BDU uniform for the units to wear.

Now you don't see people go crazy over there because the mod has the option to change camo.

Oh and wearing different camo than some of your unit is not that unusual as you think,russian army is using both VSR and Flora camo.

Oh and wearing different camo than some of your unit is not that unusual as you think,russian army is using both VSR and Flora camo.

Yeah! And if it's me IRL I'll be opting for shorts and tee shirt and sod that fecking helmet in that heat!  tounge2.gif  Calm down folks, like one of yas said it's a game. Realism counts but gameplay and preferences matter too!   biggrin_o.gif

forget acu bdu jcb tit xyz. theres a new camo in town smile_o.gif.

Wooo! DPM all the way!  wink_o.gif

I didn't said that I must be the only one in the game to wear a different camo. Instead this option should be available if you want to change the camo for you and your forces in-game.

Heard of FFUR??You have the option in that mod to either choose an ACU or BDU uniform for the units to wear.

Now you don't see people go crazy over there because the mod has the option to change camo.

Quiet, the US army tells it's soldiers to wear ACU then they'll wear ACU. Go play this if you are so concerned about what your wearing for tonights combat op.

Quiet, the US army tells it's soldiers to wear ACU then they'll wear ACU. Go play this if you are so concerned about what your wearing for tonights combat op.

Heh typical,I was expecting an answer like this "US Army says I have to wear bird crap on my helmet with sandals and white socks so go play sims".

Not even going to bother to explain you what an option is since you've already been to lazy to read a page back.

The US army has its own game and they dont have ACU in it... so far wink_o.gif . In a game where a modern conflict depicts US VS Russian forces in a fictitious island and setting BIS could take the liberty of not using the worst looking cammo ever, anyone noticed how the east side is wearing equipment from the 80's?