Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Latest screenshots available

Arma looks much better now.

But some DXDLL style effects would make it more better. tounge2.gif

Its been mentioned in this thread that the couple of pictures released for AA look no better than some of those in the OFP photography thread.

So you are comparing user addons (sometimes unreleased) with everything cranked up to maximum (i.e. an unplayable level) with AA that looks this good straight out of the box?!?

I have high hopes for AA, especially after the community get its hands on the addon making processes. If they have an engine to play with, with even less of the restrictions than the current engine has, then I think we have a hit on our hands here.

Raw OFP looks a little ragged these days and it will be nice, at least for a while on multiplayer when everyone is playing AA straight out of the box, with out the addon dependancies.

But then, when has graphics been the prime reason for playing OFP?

as Llauma pointed, i`ll be 100% happy with Armed Assault when i see final new game features.

... nevertheless the graphics are better and better with each new screens ... i like darker textures and darker overall colors smile_o.gif on these ones ... rather then ultra-sega-mega directx9 features where everithing looks like it comes from Mars and made out of same material ... this way ambient looks more natural and realistic.

just keep up with good work BIS !, and take your time as much as needed on improving OpF engine ... xmas_o.gif

The models look nice, but if they haven`t got working on-board systems or multiple guns It`ll be terrible boring to play with them...

Actually the only ofp`s feature when it comes to vehicles is that there are those playable possitions (a few in every vehicle). :|

I think the BI is doing this on purpose with minimal details on those screens. They can't really spoil everything you know

I think you are right... Trickle feed us... LOL... Look how many people have viewed this thread. Getting a little inchy.. pistols.gif

Looking at the little hill in the first shot I wonder if it is 50 meters hill. If it is a smaller grid section, imagine what fun maps we can make.

Johan

I think the BI is doing this on purpose with minimal details on those screens. They can't really spoil everything you know

I agree. They probably wanna hide some new features, but do u think they will hide some parts of a model?

Im missing the mg of the t72 like in this pic.

t-72-iraq-s.jpg

No multiple guns? sad_o.gif

help.gif

I totally agree with the people who mention that the new shots don't include anything note worthy like proof of multiple gunner posistions and such. How ever I have to contest with people who claim that the shots only look marginally better than OFP.

aa_shot6.jpg

untitled12fh.jpg

I can hardly see the difference  icon_rolleyes.gif

Don't judge OFP's graphics by the screenshot thread. The screenshots there are as real as a California bleach blonde.

Any way graphics aren't important to me. I am more interested in new features and improvements.

You must be blind then, do look closer at the models, the ArmA one looks that it has much more polys and it has more detailed textures, also look for the Smoke Dispensers on both, there are more differences, but I suppose you can spot them yourself.

Well I agree with Kegs, if this is all much smoother than our current OFP with that kind of detail, then it changes things _completely_. I think half of the people here don't even realize the power of CAS or AFV's have when used with a realistic engagement distance. tounge2.gif

Its been mentioned in this thread that the couple of pictures released for AA look no better than some of those in the OFP photography thread.

So you are comparing user addons (sometimes unreleased) with everything cranked up to maximum (i.e. an unplayable level) with AA that looks this good straight out of the box?!?

My point was do we really know that this is what ArmA is going to look like or are these simply staged screenshots that have been touched up for release? Pre-release screenshots are rarely in-game shots and usually look quite different than the finished product. BIS could've done the same with these ArmA screenshots as we do in the OFP photo thread. I could take the same shot in OFP with Sig's T72s, WGL textures, and FlashFX and make it look the same or better than this shot.

Even if these shots are really what it will look like, what are we getting? Forgive me for not guzzling the kool-aid but these shots show me nothing other than BIS has a marginally better ground/sky texture, better skins, and slightly better looking buildings (whether or not all are enterable as someone else stated is completely speculation). The destroyed vehicle looks the same as does the smoke and pretty much everything else. Look at the comparison shot of OFP and ArmA and tell me what I'm waiting for except for a better looking tank. Grass?? A new damage model? DX10 light sourcing? Destructable buildings? And those are just the features that I could see in a screenshot.

I simply wonder why worry about putting out an moderately upgraded eye candy version of OFP (so far that's all it's shown me) vs. putting all efforts into finishing up the true sequel which so far looks and sounds amazing. We are coming up on 5 years and I don't want OFP2 turning into Duke Nukem Forever just so we can have a better skin on a T72. I love OFP and BIS. I've played OFP just about every day with my clan since 2001 and like I said, we're buying it anyways and appreciate the work, but I simply how much longer OFP2 will be delayed due to the work on ArmA and whether ArmA is worth delaying the true next-gen version of our favorite game. We still know next to nothing about it's true intent. Is it a stand alone? Is it to tide us over for another 3 years of OFP2 dev?

I hope I'm wrong, but after seeing years put into the port of OFPE for a fairly marginal product outside of the hardcore base, I wonder.

While I would be a bit dissappointed if ArmA still has a lot of OFPs annoying engine limitations(After all,someone said: Arma is turning into a bit of Game2 wink_o.gif ),we should not forget what Arma was announced as in the first place,OFP 1.5.Personally a heavily optimized engine and JIP(if its done right) and some new script commands( Please let us create triggers and markers smile_o.gif ) are pretty good reasons to buy Arma besides any nice new features it might have.

But be sure,if it has roughly the same AI and engine limitations as OFP,I hope Game2 follows soon icon_rolleyes.gif

This update I feel is quite interesting. I've been seeing more and more "game 2" screens. This leads me to believe more of thier efforts are being put towards "game 2" rather than Armed Assault. I wonder if its safe to say that Armed Assault is basically done. If you look at the posted release dates on BIS site it says H1 2006 for Armed Assault, and Late 2006 for "game 2", not very much time difference there. I'd be willing to bet once they get their publishing problem fixed you'll see Armed Assault out. However this is pure speculation, I'm just basing the information on what i've seen. I was just wondering if anyone has noticed the same thing.

The trouble with ArmA screenshots is that we can always say "Well, it just looks like OFP but with more detail/colour/shadows etc... What's it showing that the mod community hasn't?"

A lot of ArmA's gameplay improvements (not all) lie 'under the hood' so to speak and can't be shown unless it's via a video trailer or an actual demo. Having said that, it would be good to see some of the new features being depicted in screenshots in the near future.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know the current maximum vertical distance in OFP? Is it linked to horizontal view distance? Because if BIS can vastly increase both the view distance horizontally and vertically and get it to run well on average systems, aeroplane flying will be terrific fun.

I thought vertical view distance went up to the sky-box. That's one of the things that has annoyed me about most 3-d tac-shooters I've seen: the fog works to obscure the details on mountains but doesn't obscure the skybox, AT ALL. What you wind up with is fog on a distant mountain and a clear sky to the left and right of the mountain where you can see the sky-box.

Fog should obscure the sky-box, too! (Fog usually has a max height, but we're not talking about fog with max height... though it would be nice to. I like ground-hugging fog.)

You guys who can't wait until ArmA's release date REALLY need to buy an X-Box and OFP:E. The A.I. improvements are considerable. Enemy A.I. grabs its own ammo when it runs out and there is some nearby, Guard waypoints put a unit on hold to respond ACROSS THE MAP to a automatically-generated combat support request from a friendly unit, and Support waypoints put Medical/Fuel/Ammo/Repair units on hold to respond to a automatically or manually-generated radio call from allied units (though medic soldiers seem to do some of this on their own).

Machinegun fire ricochets in a believable way (though the tracer still looks like a laser beam) and the ricochets can KILL.

I don't see too much evidence of OFP:E's excellent lighting in these ArmA screenshots, but the lighting in OFP:E is AMAZING, making a big difference to the gameplay. A Noonday sun beating down in the Summer-time makes you want to squint your eyes, making it hard to see very far. The phase of the moon effects how much the landscape is lit up. The atmosphere in OFP:E BLOWS AWAY OFP:R. Switch from OFP:E to OFP:R and the latter seems like a DEAD world. I am often amazed just wondering whether the seagulls flying through a valley (and not hitting its walls or trees!wink_o.gif are an animation or actual A.I. If they're an animation, I can't tell, and if they are A.I., how does the X-Box CPU handle all of those calculations? Then the darn bugs start buzzing around you!

The working tides determine how much land is under water and the wave action increases as the weather becomes more adverse.

Place a waypoint on a building and the A.I. navigates through the building on its own. No mess, no fuss.

Vehicle damage modelling is very satisfying. Open up on a speeding UAZ and it might start doing donuts (driver slumped on the wheel or steering damaged or tires flattened?), get hit while flying an Apache and you may have to press your stick all of the way to the left and dip your nose all of the way forward just to fly in a somewhat straight line or maybe your HUD will go out. Ever have a hair-raising experience just trying to limp an Apache back to base and land it after a mission?

If ArmA's bigger view-distance and unit-handling capabilities were given to OFP:E's engine (with mid-game joining/join-in-progress!!!wink_o.gif I would be an extremely happy camper.

Ack! What am I doing here? I should be playing OFP:E!

ShadowVS, don't judge a book by it's cover.

BIS doesn't need to impress you, they're responding to our (the community's) desire for more. They're showing us just what can be done and not only are they pushing the OFP engine, they're pushing themselves. BIS isn't even a "big" game developer, but they still had the guts to tackle 3 projects at once.

Armed Assault is another welcomed step in raising the standards of game technology, and even if it doesn't turn out to be what you expected, it will only make you want the next update even more.

Operation Flashpoint is evolving, and like evolution in nature, it takes time. With every minor "mutation" in the game, its survivability is put to the test. Beneficial changes remain and invite further development, while unsuccsessful changes only increase the probability of future success. My point is that every step forward, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem, is a step in the right direction.

BIS may be a lone wolf in the development of full scale virtual reality in the form of a combat-world simulation, but all it takes is one giant leap forward for a revolution to occur...

Now it is time to clear my mind before my ranting engulfs this thread, I can't wait for further updates in any form, just a paragraph of new information will ease my pondering.

Well I was very impressed by OpF on the Xbox so I hope that we will see a huge leap forward from that level when we see Arma

Well I was very impressed by OpF on the Xbox so I hope that we will see a huge leap forward from that level when we see Arma

Many of us PC gamers are happy with OFPE on PC... so many useful new commands! wink_o.gif

But AA already looks way better than OFPE does, so we can only wait until BI decides to release it now and not to add more features biggrin_o.gif

It looks like command n conquer's 3-D levels but in this you can be the little tiny soldier or fly the chopper and go anywhere. Just look at the rich urban enviroment; kinda like Somalia in BlkHwkDown. I just hope those buildings are not "prop" ones so we can hide in them ! biggrin_o.gif

damn u are right wow_o.gif

when i saw the that intro and that mission videos in C&C red alert i thought of a game with that graphics in the video ^^

The screen with the T-72 reminds me of Vigny on Malden.

If it is I'm impressed with how much work they've put into the old islands.

The amazing thing about OFP:E is that we have been able to make awesome missions without a single script, init or otherwise.