Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

Ok so a few days ago someone wrote that some german publisher had picked up Arma,, but then later someone discredited it by saying that 5 other publishers were also supposed to pick it up in the past,, so is it time to start holding our breath now or what? huh.gif

Seems you've got confused. A german publisher has sign Arma for distribution in Germany, Austria and I think Switzerland. Another has signed for Polish distribution. Another for the Czech republic. I think there may be one or two more ... so a total of 4 or 5?

No global publisher has been signed and this now seems unlikely to happen. BIS will sign with regional publishers instead.

BIS are also planning on distributing the game online, though what system they plan to use has not been stated.

Guest Ti0n3r

Woot! There will be rabbits and cheep in ArmA yay.gif (From the Esports interview).

No global publisher has been signed and this now seems unlikely to happen. BIS will sign with regional publishers instead.

BIS are also planning on distributing the game online, though what system they plan to use has not been stated.

So going by your statement(not busting your balls)

Where does that leave the North American market?

Where is the statement it will be distributed online also?

Have any of you already pre-ordered the game?

long time ago smile_o.gif

---

lot of great news and excelent video ... but ...

what made me bit "sad" was no plans about walking in vehicles (yet there is addon which allows this in VBS) and weapons "modular" system ...

but i hope this can appear as part of "updates" or "addons" or "bonuspack" in future ... BIS should open donate4feature campaign to fund these smile_o.gif

I'm not too disappointed that we can't walk in vehicles. I can see 90% of people (including myself) spending an hour in the editor walking around transport aircraft in flight, thinking "cool" and then moving on to actually playing the game.

The weapon thing would've been nice, though. sad_o.gif

* We will NOT have thermal sights, the game DO use HDR lightning, so it can be modable.

* Weapons can be configured with different configs. For example silences

* We will still be able to use custom faces in both SP and MP

* Ironsights is 3D

* TrackIR will function for both soldiers on ground, but it is also implemented for crew members in vehicles.

* Inventory is incriesed and it is made easier to use it while in combat

* Ingame voice is implemented in Armed Assault like in OFP, but will also work using sockets (not directplay - red).

* Flightmodel is greatly increased, and BI is calling it "semi-realistic" - so you can easy spot a "newbie" among more experienced pilots.

* The sound engine have been redone. Soundwaves can get blocked by obstacles such as hills etc. Sound-speed is still modelled of course.

* Wound-textures and injury-system is still the same as OFP(so far).

* Island size is above 400 km2 - Terrain will be very different on different locations on the island.

* ArmA is based upon the same engine as VBS2

* We will probably see a new ArmA trailer later on.

* You will be able to 'chop' down a tree

* Artellery will be available - Paul doesn't know how, but he sure knows it's there smile_o.gif

* You can have thousands of soldiers in a mission on the same time

Source: armedassault.eu

Liked the trailer and official screenshots, but two things really bugged me (this is visible on 61 screens at gamesfire.at):

1. Water still looks like ass. I know that's because it is one of the fundamentals of OFP engine, so nothing can really be done. There are giant waves on rivers, which means that they are once again just an extension of the sea, which means that nothing really changed much.

2. THERE IS STILL NO PROPER WIDESCREEN SUPPORT!!! The demo was displayed on exactly the same screen as I have at home. And it is painfully obvious that there is no native widescreen resolution - just streched standard ones.

Don't get me wrong I can get over the water issue. I don't really care much about the water, but the widescreen support (or lack thereof) really bugs me. This is one of the reasons I stopped playing OFP since I've got my widescreen. It just looks wrong. I've been playing OFP from 1.00, but this issue can prevent me from buying ArmA. sad_o.gif

I thought it was possible to play OFP wide screen by simply altering the FOV values in the config.  huh.gif  I've seen this in a thread somewhere for sure!  wink_o.gif

PS. I believe from the last interview that they are still working on the 'water meets shore' textures and anims. The water itself though is probably alreade done.

Guest Ti0n3r

That and adding some parameters to the shotcut. I don't know if that really worked though.

I thought it was possible to play OFP wide screen by simply altering the FOV values in the config.  huh.gif

Widescreen is possible.

Click me.

I'm playing on a Xerox 16:10 widescreen display and with some .cfg changes it works like a dream.

MfG Lee

Can you PM me with exact cfg changes? Cause I tried to find the stuff to change about a month ago and came up with nothing. smile_o.gif

Where does that leave the North American market?

Well unless a North American publisher shows interest in publishing the game, I'd say you're screwed. Blame your own games industry though, it's not like BIS are refusing to sell the game over there. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Where is the statement it will be distributed online also?

In one of the interviews. http://www.ga.com.ba/clanak/514.html

Quote[/b] ]Tenga: If BIS don't manage to get a publisher, are there any backup plans like online distribution?

Paul: We have plans for online distribution irrespective of the quest to sign to a "box in shops" publisher as many people have embraced the online distribution system and we would like to think we encourage freedom of choice as much as possible.

The new water is more than fine by me. smile_o.gif

I hope they include watersplash effects when bombs or whatever else is falling into the water. Such a feature woud add lots of atmosphere in beachhead missions.

The GC video shows it different, but I hope they will change it.

Horey ... more interviews mean that game is closer and closer to coming Gold...

Just look how BIS fellas like all that interview stuff rofl.gif

It seems that Marek ordered them to keep quet for last few years ... and now they exploded pistols.gif with information sraphnels ...

And we know that placebos little dream to get on BBC HardTalk with Steven Saka rofl.gif

Hello all,

I noticed in one of the video's supplied by th OFP.INFO crew in their recent interview that there is quite an interesting feature with regard to the 'water issue'.

The video in question is the 'Boat Trip' video (can be downloaded from ofp.info). Once you get past most of the video presumably explaining the transition of water from deep to shallow and showing the waves in action (there is no sound btw), you will notice at the end that before the boat drives up the rock on the shore ( ! ) the the view pans down below the boat itself, revealing TRANSPARENT WATER. This surely will bring about a new emphasis on gameplay and a new theater for battles to take place in. Though the question remains, will transparent water allow us to swim, and from previous posts it has been stated that it is not a planned feature, but we can always hope that their plans change and they do decide to add the ability.

Just an observation, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before.

I'm really impressed with the quality of the transistion between OFP to ArmA based on the screens and videos to date, but I believe 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating' so shall save judgement till release, but I do feel the active community has influenced the shape of the new game somewhat (even if it was by a small amount). Though there are lots of things being identified as 'problems' there are far more important and beneficial advances in the games funtionalty which make it very appealing indeed.

Will be watching with interest.

A quick question: Is anyone able to tell me if the Harrier has realistic flight (STOL/VTOL) capabilities? Has this been mentioned? If not it may be worth asking, would help a lot of addon developers out and may bring about the possibility of a VTOL craft being developed (V22 springs to mind) whistle.gif .

Cheers guys,

thumbs-up.gif

sweet new screens and video on bis site. thumbs-up.gif

i just saw this wonderful building in the background of this pic,

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/ArmAofpinfo3.jpg

and really just would like to hope that bis can make it enterable smile_o.gif

it looks pretty big compared to old ofp buildings, just the wide scale and all. I like much that water can be transparent when its not so deep. No more hiding in the water from the A.i's maybe? crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.giftounge2.gif Something i used in a few of my missions and just fooled with is when you setup group link script or something and then have the a.i chase you next to a beach and then you run down in the water and they refuse to shoot at you when you go down in the water enough much. but staying under the water for to long is not healthy either so tounge2.gif

checked all the vids now, nice waves btw! looks like real ocean waves now. Also anyone know what the description field in the mission editor is used for? Do we type in more code there or is it like comments or something? Also anyone noticed that the list where you choose man , car ect was a bit more larger than in Ofp without addons? Maybe means we got more goodies in the original game than we got with ofp? smile_o.gif

I would like swimming in water biggrin_o.gif - Specops swimming group smile_o.gif

nice water textures, but videos are very short

Hello all,

I noticed in one of the video's supplied by th OFP.INFO crew in their recent interview that there is quite an interesting feature with regard to the 'water issue'.

The video in question is the 'Boat Trip' video (can be downloaded from ofp.info). Once you get past most of the video  presumably explaining the transition of water from deep to shallow and showing the waves in action (there is no sound btw), you will notice at the end that before the boat drives up the rock on the shore ( ! ) the the view pans down below the boat itself, revealing TRANSPARENT WATER. This surely will bring about a new emphasis on gameplay and a new theater for battles to take place in. Though the question remains, will transparent water allow us to swim, and from previous posts it has been stated that it is not a planned feature, but we can always hope that their plans change and they do decide to add the ability.

snorkeling.jpg

Yep! Hopefully swimming and snorkelling will be a possibility now!  biggrin_o.gif

With regards the Harrier hopefully STOL/VTOL will be implemented as this is already part of the heli dynamics.

Quote:

4. Will all buildings be destroyable?

- Yes, in the final version of the game there will be debris and rubble. somersault.gif

I would like swimming in water biggrin_o.gif - Specops swimming group smile_o.gif

nice water textures, but videos are very short

Hmmm ... i would HDTV presentation in my nearest cinema of arma whistle.gif .

Quote:

4. Will all buildings be destroyable?

- Yes, in the final version of the game there will be debris and rubble.

Hmmmm, i think we have a problem here.

Do you remember placebo telling (on radio interview)that it is impossible with nowaday technology make all building destructable.

As i understood there will be only few building in towns destroyable (bigger towns more of those bulding, smaller - less).

Maybe it will be some efect of debris falling when taking direct sabot/shell hit but after dust sit down we see same building intact but with "black" spots on it. And other building in town (special one) without 2 floor crazy_o.gif

So i suppose it will be just in that way, it is really hard to imagine all town buuilding destroyed, without roofs, 2 floors, holes, etc .. nice, but imposible even with fastest Dual Core intel duo cpus.

just my 2 cents... whistle.gif

Added: ohh after smoking one cigarete and making some thoughts i think that we will be able to destroy all OPEN buildings (with rooms, etc) wich, as far as i remember from ofp) where only few in town (and as placebo mentioned, will be only few in arma aswell) CLOSED buldings, i suppose, will have some effects: bang, dust comin up, some debris falling (maybe disaperring after awhile and when dust clears we have nice texture on building...

Cheers for posting the screen capture Red Kite thumbs-up.gif .

RE: STOL/VTOL - I was interested in any knowledge circulating about fixed wing aircraft and their capabilities. Any clues as to if such a capability was planned/mentioned, even as a passing comment?

@ Commando84: the large building has a sign on it. Looks like it's A I R P O R T, so I'm guessing (duh! I'm so clever! wink_o.gif ) that it is an airport terminal...

Looking forward to more news.