Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

The two Scots Pine (Pinus sylvestris) in my garden sway like that, yet they are significantly thicker than 10cm.

Those palms... sad_o.gif they shouldn't sway like that, only the leaves. Neither should anyother tree sway like that if the trunk is thicker then 10 cm in my opinion. But meh i'll ignore it or mod it, leaves should be swaying not trees. :O

I beg to disagree. I live in the desert and I am surrounded in real life by the very same species of Washingtonia Robusta and Phoenix Dactylifera, many if not most that are the same size or larger, and they do indeed sway in a stiff breeze.

In a light breeze, you are correct, the fronds just wave around.

yup. so BIS needs to work on palm tree animation just a little bit.

nice to see you again Schoeler smile_o.gif

But with that wind there it looks like it could possibly at least sway slightly dontcha think?

THe breeze isnt necessarily stiff breeze, but its also not a very gentle breeze, its swayin the leaves quite a bit

But i still odnt think that the trunks should sway completely as they do now

there can be no doubt that in a breeze where the leaves are not moving the palms would never, move so vigourously.(its my proffession). but i think the actual explanation for what is happening in the video , is that they are showing you how much the trees can be animated as well as soldier anims and camera anims (only slower zoom i noticed). btw i think these are the palms found in India , i see the banding on the tree as appose to the "knobbles". its short and blurry so i wont bet my career on it.

how a palm tree sways in a hurricane

i think that Oblivion like canopy shadows (simplified) will be neat , they can move and be low res quality yet still giving much better visual feeling than static canopy shadow ...

together with lot of options for graphics (shadow lods, scale etc) it can run very well on not so "fast" machines too smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]so BIS needs to work on palm tree animation just a little bit.

Maybe they just forgot to add the corresponding sandstorm...a feature btw that I personally would love inlove.gif

One thing I didn't like about the video.

When shooting the enemy huge round globs of blood came out. Not at all realistic and look rediculous.

Otherwise game seems ok. I'm ready!

Something that I don't want to see is third-person view.

I think this it's a form of visual explotation.

Yeah I saw that, it was ridiculous. I have confidence they'll fix it. Also, no, third person is fine. In real life you have a lot better freedom of motion, and awareness with sound smell and just general direction. Third Person simulates it basically. If you're worried about people looking around corners, then I see no problem. In real life someone could just PEAK over, instead of leaning all the way over. I like 3rd person because it basically gives a balance to a video games lack of depth perception, awareness, freedom of motion etc. Same with crosshair. In real life, you could shoulder fire with not too bad accuracy (I mean shoulder fire, not hip fire. If you view the animation, the soldier is clearly firing from the shoulder, i.e. up but not through ironsights)

So what, people are unhappy with the trees swaying now? Because according to them it's not realistic? We don't even know what parameters are affecting the bloody trees in the first instance.

*sigh*

Sheesh

I concur... I think it looks awesome.

To be honest, I really don't give a damn how much they sway, as long as they still stay up smile_o.gif

Anyway, I want to see that multiple gunner thingy in action smile_o.gif

Oh, and some wildlife...

According to the interview, I don't think we will be seing any lifestock sad_o.gif It will only be birds and insects... lets hope we can interact with the birds

lets hope we can interact with the birds

yeah, shoot them down.

or we can make a misison a la Dick Cheney tounge2.gif

yeah, shoot them down.

lol

Im still hoping for c0ws, though... And make the invinsible like churches!

To be honest, I really don't give a damn how much they sway, as long as they still stay up smile_o.gif

I only care how they go down, like in OFP? or with a bit more physics?  biggrin_o.gif

(TIMBER!wink_o.gif)

Imagine you shoot down a bird with your M16. You pick it up and carry it to the burning wreck of a BMP. After 15 minutes you have a nice BBQ if some squaddies provide you with sauces! rofl.gif

That would be a nice way to recover health instead of calling the medic. tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]It will only be birds and insects... lets hope we can interact with the birds

I can think of some unusual approach here:

pirate_parrot.png

tounge2.gif

As requested by the BIS forum community, we present you with ArmA: The World's First Palm Tree Simulator.

Well the recent ArmA interview clearly says that ArmA shares the engine with VBS2. Of course the writer could be a complete noob, but well...They`re not showing the `game2` there..only ArmA.

I hope we`ll see something groundbreaking soon...

BIS you kick azz

3rd person is fine, especially if veteran nutcases like me can turn it off. I love that option! inlove.gif

yeah leave the option to turn it on and off, then everyone is happy... i like first person over third but it is nice if you want to create movies

Guest Ti0n3r

SP = Third person on

MP = Third person off

Scalability in ArmA = notworthy.gif

Well the recent ArmA interview clearly says that ArmA shares the engine with VBS2. Of course the writer could be a complete noob, but well...They`re not showing the `game2` there..only ArmA.

I hope we`ll see something groundbreaking soon...

BIS you kick azz

I believe that to be an error in the Interview... since everything to this point says ArmA's engine is a beefed up version of VBS1. Also there was an article a few weeks ago that said Game2 shares its engine with VBS2. And we know ArmA and Game2 have diffrent engines.... so its very likely that the write of the interview is confussed.

When OFP:E came out one guy devoted himself to shooting down a seagull, then a hawk. Finding the carcass to take a screenshot for proof was probably have the feat.

I wish BIS wouldnt waste it's time with gimmicks like constellations and animals, I mean one thing is maybe a seagull but INSECTS? Come on, waste of time BIS.

yeah, shoot them down.

Realistic Duck hunt missions!!! yay.gif

Im sure its possible to hunt down birds with your sniper rifle.