Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

From there
Quote[/b] ]The VBS2 engine, due for release in Q3 this year, is being developed in accordance with the user requirement of customer organisations based upon their experiences with VBS1.

I remember reading that vbs2 was supposed to be using the "game2" engine, and if it is released so soonâ„¢ this year , does that mean that "game2" is approaching completion so soon while ArmA is not even released ?

Well, I`ve noticed that first! lol smile_o.gif

What`s interesting...the small details like "better smoke&fire effects in arma (the recent cz interview) and the better smoke&fire effects in VBS2 annoucement (In the "Improved Simulation of Urban Areas").

Secondly, ArmA is a true sequel of Ofp. (?) And game 2 is in fact game3, and has about 2 more years of development...

VBS2 shares the engine with game2, not game3...but well, the game3 doesn`t exist....formally...

We saw some shots of game2 at last years e3, but now the pics from ArmA are becoming more and more game2ish...Just look at the first pics from ArmA, they were from OFP:E...The tank models are from OFP:E...

It wouldn`t be a big supprise for me if we had destructable buildings in arma now...

Another thing...Just look at the codemasters vs BIS thingy...

BIS are making a sequel of a great game...3years? maybe longer...now sudenly they`re breaking with their publisher and gues what? They`re starting a new TITLE...something between OFP and OFP2 (from now on Game2)...In the middle of development of the mysterious ArmA, we hear something like "well, It`s actually becoming more and more sophisticated, maybe we should call it game2"...

Wasn`t it all planned?

The game2 shown at e3 was in fact ArmA, some features announced there were in fact ArmA`s features, some are still being introduced into the game2 (still 2 years of development!wink_o.gif or should I say game3? The thing called ArmA was in fact OFP:E...

The question are:

Is ArmA really the game2 from the beginning, and should we expect a lot more from it?

What should be the game2(3?) called then, ArmA2?

Well i believe so.

I noticed the same thing. We already spoke in forum about this evolution and names. All images points to it. (hope so) xmas_o.gif

banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

Haven't we had this discussion before?? (we have, that was rhetorical)

The defining features of Game 2 are the Role playing elements and the totally new engine.

Arma has none of the above. Arma is NOT Game 2, Arma is a massively improved OFP but not a true successor.

Of course the early pics from Armed Assault had old OFP:E tanks - they hadn't created the new models yet!! banghead.gif

"The game2 shown at e3 was in fact ArmA" - You win first prize, a lifelong stay in a luxury resort! The gentlemen in white coats will show you to your room.

First of all, I didn`t write I`m sure about it, I`m just borred.

Secondly who told you how many improovments were planned for the game2, I`m talking about the time long before the last year e3.

And how could the game shown at e3 be ArmA if they "hadn`t created the new models" by that time?

The old pics from ArmA had the tanks from ofp:e, the new pics from ArmA also have the tanks from ofp:e, what we see on the screens from ArmA are placeholders, so It`s obvious that the models from game2 at e3 were placeholders too...

edit: I just don`t belive they`re making game2 for so long, and poped up with the ArmA (ofp 1.5) idea last year...

Ok. At the weekend was OFP lanparty in the Czech Republic, where was demonstated ArmA.

So here's some gossip biggrin_o.gif

BIS doing everything for release in June. In the meantime, it's looking favourably.

The Game was played with smooth FPS on 2,7ghz opteron 144, rad. x1900xt, 2gb ram. But the game ins't fully optimalizated yet.

It would be really nice if ArmA is released in June, but if BIS can optimise it further i wouldn't mind waiting a few months more.

Smooth FPS? How much was it? If it was 100FPS then i wouldn't worry. But if it was like 30FPS, than i would be very worried, meaning i would have to upgrade my rig (and maybe not just upgrade, but buy a totally new config)

banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

Haven't we had this discussion before?? (we have, that was rhetorical)

The defining features of Game 2 are the Role playing elements and the totally new engine.

Arma has none of the above. Arma is NOT Game 2, Arma is a massively improved OFP but not a true successor.

Of course the early pics from Armed Assault had old OFP:E tanks - they hadn't created the new models yet!! banghead.gif

"The game2 shown at e3 was in fact ArmA" - You win first prize, a lifelong stay in a luxury resort! The gentlemen in white coats will show you to your room.

And why does some people still insist to the death although we see new amazing stuff coming that this is just some OFP 1.5(which VBS1 should be called...really) when BIS themselves say:

"by the creators of Operation Flashpoint*. recharges in a new engine", Fight for freedom in a brand new storyline, a military GTA. "

I cant not call that OFP 1.5 like it is some kind of patch to OFP when it is a brand new game. And as one of the preview sites say:

"can't call the game 'Operation Flashpoint 2', but that's exactly what it is. Only better, more ambitious and much, much bigger."

Its pretty obvious that Armed Assault has grown past the expections since we first heard of it.

Smooth FPS? How much was it? If it was 100FPS then i wouldn't worry. But if it was like 30FPS, than i would be very worried, meaning i would have to upgrade my rig (and maybe not just upgrade, but buy a totally new config)

I read somewhere that anything over 25fps is undetectable by the human eye anyway! 100fps? That aditional 75fps would be better put to other processes!  wink_o.gif

I read somewhere that anything over 25fps is undetectable by the human eye anyway! 100fps? That aditional 75fps would be better put to other processes! wink_o.gif

Huh? You can see a huge difference between 30 and 60fps. At least on a crt, not sure about LCD's, since I've never used one.

And why does some people still insist to the death although we see new amazing stuff coming that this is just some OFP 1.5

Well it's a matter of context.

If OFP had just been an ordinary, average computer game, yes Armed Assault could reasonably have been called it's successor.

However OFP was revolutionary, it still is the best Mil Sim/Military FPS available and other games still have yet to come close. In that context Armed Assault just doesn't earn the right to be called the succesor because it offers nothing ground breaking, no earth shattering advancements in gaming technology. BIS themselves recognised this from the start and set themselves a hard act to follow. Yet they have managed to come up with the next revolution in Game 2 ... the totally dynamic, persistant battle fought between AI generals and the RPG elements, built around the OFP world, are what makes Game 2 utterly unique.

Now Armed Assault will be the game of the year, a fantastic piece of work which no one is denying. I think BIS have outdone themselves and deserve good things, but it isn't OFPx2, it's still the same game at the core albeit polished to perfection.

That is my opinion wink_o.gif

Agree wholeheartedly. AA wasn't meant to be the next step in BIS's game making - just a placeholder (albeit, a freaking good placeholder) until Game2 can stun us all.

When people start to play ArmA i bet they wount touch OFP again, i might be wrong but i daught.

So in that case ArmA will be called OFP successor for sure.

I never played the original OFP after buying Resistance, by your logic doesn't that make Resistance the successor?

Didn't need CD1 to play Elite tounge2.gif

Is ArmA really the game2 from the beginning, and should we expect a lot more from it?

What should be the game2(3?) called then, ArmA2?

OFPCWC

|

V

OFPR *Hey, lets port it to xbox, and lets start working on another PC game*->Game2

|

V

OFPE *Hey, we improved the engine alot, lets give those PC players a taste of it*

|

V

ArmA

Thats how it probably went..

And IIRC Game2 was supposed to be a vietnam game at fist, but they started all over again because there were certain things that they didnt want/should do (Thats what i read in an interview years ago IIRC). And i think that because they started all over again after a year of research Codemaster got pissed off, andBIS decided to say goodbye to them smile_o.gif

I read somewhere that anything over 25fps is undetectable by the human eye anyway! 100fps? That aditional 75fps would be better put to other processes! wink_o.gif

Huh? You can see a huge difference between 30 and 60fps. At least on a crt, not sure about LCD's, since I've never used one.

I guess that you can see the difference between 30 and 60FPS...but that wasn't my point wink_o.gif I meant it more like this: if "2,7ghz opteron 144, rad. x1900xt, 2gb ram" runs ArmA at 100FPS, than my old rig might run it at, lets say, 30FPS. But if "2,7ghz opteron 144, rad. x1900xt, 2gb ram" runs it at 30FPS, than i'm f****d! Of course, it all depends on the setting they were using, but still...i hope i can run ArmA at 30FPS on this setting: 1024*768, medium (or even low detail). Although this great game would be spoiled by that kind of setting, i just don't find money growing on trees...i really can't afford a new computer. confused_o.gif

You mean OFP Elite. It cant be a sucessor cause its OFP (literally improved for Xbox).

I think Armed Assault will be a tad more superior to OFP: Elite. The amount of stuff BIS seems to be cramming into it at the last minute almost boggles the mind.

I guess that you can see the difference between 30 and 60FPS...but that wasn't my point wink_o.gif I meant it more like this: if "2,7ghz opteron 144, rad. x1900xt, 2gb ram" runs ArmA at 100FPS, than my old rig might run it at, lets say, 30FPS. But if "2,7ghz opteron 144, rad. x1900xt, 2gb ram" runs it at 30FPS, than i'm f****d! Of course, it all depends on the setting they were using, but still...i hope i can run ArmA at 30FPS on this setting: 1024*768, medium (or even low detail). Although this great game would be spoiled by that kind of setting, i just don't find money growing on trees...i really can't afford a new computer. confused_o.gif

"We continue to optimise as much as possible even as we near the end of the developmental cycle, so at this point we're still not quite sure how much we will be able to achieve in the different areas of optimisation and thus what the required system specs will be, however it's fair to say that something in the region of 2GHz intel/AMD CPU, 512MB RAM, DX9 64mb graphics card is somewhere around the probable minimum spec." by Placebo

The specifications of the computer demanded to smooth play depends not on the game in general but mostly on the mode of the game. In OFP:CWC u could play without any lagg on small CTF and standard CTI (for egz. campaign everon, standard view was set on 700). When someone edited map and changed the distance, for campaign everon (5000), which could be seen (more horizon view) the FPS dramatically went down.

Many people played on standard distance (700), but it was kinda unrealistic with that funny fog on 200 meters and the gameplay was shitty.

It`s obvious that if u want to play CTI mode with far horizon view u need to have a good PC. Let`s hope it won`t demand a much better one than for OFP.

OFP`s sucessor is supposed to be groundbreaking, and the game2(3?) probably will be, but why you can`t admit, that ArmA is a true sequel of ofp? If not, we could have ofp1.5(ArmA), ofp1.7, ofp1.9 and so on, each with the upgraded engine, and still no sequel...

Even if not planned ArmA is the ofp2 now...or will be called ofp2 by the media just after the relase.

The question was: was It all planned?

Some ppl seem think they know the thoughts of ppl inside BIS. Well, I don`t...

Who can say? Sadly, a lot of what people think (including myself) is still pure conjecture at this point. Wish I had a 4x option for real life though. firefoxlover.gif

I think Armed Assault will be a tad more superior to OFP: Elite. The amount of stuff BIS seems to be cramming into it at the last minute almost boggles the mind.

Yeah, I sure hope so.  Many of the reviews for Elite weren't exactly glowing.  But, I think OFP was just too hot for the XBOX to handle.  The visible distance was impairing.

Guest Ti0n3r

Elite was a remake OFP. ArmA will obviously be a whole new game. The days when we could say "ArmA is Elite with a new island and a new campaign" are over. thumbs-up.gif

Quote[/b] ]however it's fair to say that something in the region of 2GHz intel/AMD CPU, 512MB RAM, DX9 64mb graphics card is somewhere around the probable minimum spec." by Placebo

I dont want to run arma at minimum, that quote gives me the impression that 2.8/3.0 gig will be the recomended, cant say about the graphics but they are starting to look very demanding.

the totally dynamic, persistant battle fought between AI generals and the RPG elements, built around the OFP world, are what makes Game 2 utterly unique.

This is what I call "game 3"(hehe tounge2.gif), the real revolution in game making, atleast

everything points at it when looking and hearing about the previews.

I almost wish they would work with codemasters again so that game would

have the title: OFP2. But we know this wont happen wont we?

Im guessing it will have a brand new name not related to anything they released before.

__

Question: I think I read somewhere(dont remember where) that the original

plans to include the original OFP campaigns have been canceled? Anyone know something more about this?