Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

did i saw a Stryker? yea i think i saw a Stryker

btw, i dunno if it is the video problem or the game itself, but seems to me the pc they use to make this video isnt that powerful at all?(or in the worst case, this is what it looks on a high end pc?) wow_o.gifbanghead.gif

Gamestar at ArmA E3: http://www.gamestar.de/news/pc-spiele/action/33575/

its not verry good...

yes yes i, my english suckt. :P

- Flashpoint, nothing else

- they have woken up for a few days and have improved the textures and have inflated the island

- good improvement of the movements

- Both other innovations appear to us rather embarrassment-work,

- appears in times of graphic arts scaffoldings like the Unreal engine 3 or even of the Cry-engine like a bad joke

- But what wants to deliver Bohemia there - more than give. Therefore, maybe nobody also was of the company on site.

Only for the moment, needed a better translation

Will ask in the team

btw: thx Night-[Ranger] from bis-ingame forum. smile_o.gif

edit: Damned, wrong topic.

E3 Topic: http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....;st=300

its not verry good...

- they have woken up for a few days and have improved the textures and have inflated the island

- appears in times of graphic arts scaffoldings like the Unreal engine 3 or even of the Cry-engine like a bad joke

- But what wants to deliver Bohemia there - more than give. Therefore, maybe nobody also was of the company on site.

Only for the moment, needed a better translation

Will ask in the team

btw: thx Night-[Ranger] from bis-ingame forum. smile_o.gif

edit: Damned, wrong topic.

yeah nice goin...would only belive that when i see it...and so far what i have seen is GREAT!

what??!! the grafic ive seen in the trailer looks really good what do they want more?? BTW nice job BIS

what??!! the grafic ive seen in the trailer looks really good what do they want more?? BTW nice job BIS

The gaming media seems to be quite spoiled in general.  What other job can you get company paid gaming rig upgrades and can bitch about games all day?  Nowadays I just run on general word of mouth.

The animations and graphics are starting to shape up, Armass is starting to look good. I remember the first screens where all buildings were taken directly from OFP and Resistance. confused_o.gif Why even bother showing stuff like that? Even the last few videos looked very disappointing, more like an exact copy of OFP:E.

The soldiers moving reasonably and tightly in a CQB setting in this video warmed my heart, as did the multiple gunner positions. The lighting, models and animations look good.

Although there are a few equipment/realism inccuracies, for example, why there is an M113 but not an M2 Bradley in the vehicle lineup? And the M113 is opposite the BMP-2! An M113 wouldn't stand a chance against it, and the M113 doesn't have nearly the same large role today that it had in 1985. It looks like the US Army guys will have to bring an Abrams along wherever they go if they want something bigger than .50 cal (even the Stryker is armed with a single .50 cal, making it almost identical in capability to the M113 ingame). Similiarly, the M163 Vulcan is outdated. A BTR-70 would be a much better equivalent to the M113/Stryker, and would be a very reasonable vehicle to implement overall. Just what is the Opfor going to transport its infantry with? Trucks? The BMP-2 fits very few men.

Another thing, the US Army soldiers have Woodland-patterned vests in the video...not accurate, this may have been true for some units even a year ago but nowadays most do have ACU-patterned vests, the small amount of old 3-color desert and woodland-patterned gear will eventually disappear completely. This error becomes even more glaring if you want to do missions set in the future or near future with these units.

And what is a Marine Cobra doing in the video? If this helicopter is included, it would be the only USMC unit in the game (at least so far). I thought Sahrani was a US Army operation? It is out of place, the Army does not use Cobras any more. There were no USMC units in OFP.

And another thing about the helicopters, what is it about the Littlebirds all over the place? These are operated exclusively by the 160th SOAR and would definitely not be floating about behind every damn soldier's head. Just because they were "cool" in Black Hawk Down doesn't mean that they should be everywhere on Sahrani. Replace the Littlebirds and Cobras with Kiowas and Apaches and things would start to shape up...

Just some gear queering from my part. wink_o.gif

its not verry good...

There you have the OFPE frustration in a nutshell. An excellent game not regonized by (some/most?) reviewers. OFPE was in fact killed by this kind of nonsense. I'm curious to see the possible difference in (p)reviews by European/Australian versus USA. In general the EUR/AUS were much better (although FR/DE were not that good). USA reviews were quite bad.

Edit: And take my word for it it all comes down to the f*cking gfx versus gameplay ... i mean, you just cannot convert a gfx junkie no matter how excellent the gameplay is. (Btw, i think even the gfx in OFPE rocks, the skies etc are so much more convincing than e.g. XBOX/360 GRAW!)

Haha, the gamestar is finished off in the comments by numerous of players...

never read such a stupid article in a gaming magazine, I will from now on advise everybody not to support such idiots...

@Bis

Don't listen to them!

I would also put the "failure" of OFP:E down to the unfortunate event of the 360 release. If there had of been a 360 version it would of sold far more as there where only a handfull of decent games available on release as the majority had been held back. I know for sure i would of bought a copy.

I think BIS f***ed up big time there....

I think it's not so important. If BIS keeps its word about the "at-least-equal-but-maybe-better" moddable capability, better animation system for "man" and "vehicle" classes, AI improvements, viewdistance, new gfx features, etc. I won't really care the BDU-ACU, MH-6, M-113 "realistic scenario" problems. The community will make correct addons we can use. (Btw this hole Sahrani story about kingdom vs. commie state, Abramses sold to the South and such sound pretty unrealistic to me, but what...)

Edit: sorry, I replied to Gollum1's post.

I would also put the "failure" of OFP:E down to the unfortunate event of the 360 release. If there had of been a 360 version it would of sold far more as there where only a handfull of decent games available on release as the majority had been held back. I know for sure i would of bought a copy.

In Australia the Xbox360 didnt come out till March this year it just came out early in America I think wink_o.gif

Yeah...bit it was anounced that only certain major names would be backwards compatible,I thought it was microsofts choice on who went and who didn't.

I think it's not so important. If BIS keeps its word about the "at-least-equal-but-maybe-better" moddable capability, better animation system for "man" and "vehicle" classes, AI improvements, viewdistance, new gfx features, etc. I won't really care the BDU-ACU, MH-6, M-113 "realistic scenario" problems.

It sounds like a nice idea, but the reality is that the vast majority of OFP missions are made with default units only. I can count on one hand the amount of mods and addons that almost everyone has and you can safely make missions for painlessly: FDF, BAS...uuh, that's it. And BAS is pushing it, since their addons all come in different little packs. Even when playing FDF MP you'll have some dumbasses who can't get it to work or haven't patched it. Include any other addon and you're in for a lot of hardcore pain when trying to play your mission with anyone else than your clan who only plays with their own Azerbadjanian Rangers addons or whatever. That's just a cold fact, one that I've had to learn several times over. Even in 2006 the vast majority of example missions that come with addons (like that ever happens...) use BIS units for OPFOR and terrain. The notion that addons solve everything is ludicrous.

If you only take pics and play around in the editor addons are a great solution, of course, but not when playing the game.

Having a good, neutral and accurate base of units is absolutely essential. That's why I suggested the BTR-70, it's in use around the world, just leave some markings off and it can pass for any old third-world military's vehicle. Or how about this: Notice how a huge part of OFP addons are reskinned BIS models? Even in mods, like FDF? The base units are important.

In Australia the Xbox360 didnt come out till March this year it just came out early in America I think  wink_o.gif

Release was december over here in the UK. But you have to admit they dropped the ball with that one. A next-gen console comes out and you've put all your time and effort into a soon-to-be redundant machine (from the point of technology) it does'nt give OFP:E much life anyway. i don't know what the sales figures where but imho it didn't stand much of a chance with todays market. that's why i think they should of made it exclusivly for the 360. Anyway it's irrelivent now. ArmAss looks like a winner and BIS is guarenteed to get my money. Only problem though is that it will be a sad day for me when i have to uninstall OFP as it's been a permanent fixture on my desktop for 3 years.

In Australia the Xbox360 didnt come out till March this year it just came out early in America I think  wink_o.gif

Yeah, I think BIS said it was a matter of timing. The 360 didn't arrive soon enough. The limitations of the XBOX were pretty clear while playing Elite. But, I doubt BIS wanted to spend any more time on Elite than they had to since it was just a port of an old game and they had much bigger things lined up. It sounds like it was most effective as a learning experience for BIS. Armed Assault will be a better game for it.

It sounds like a nice idea, but the reality is that the vast majority of OFP missions are made with default units only.

This is why i'm hopeing for the units to be as acurate as possible so we don't have to start downloading multiple addons thus shortening the lifespan of the usermade missions. Using multiple addons adding to the already growing list was part of the slow down of the user made missions and i would also say because of the vast selection that was available near the end (i know it's not dead yet) was also a factor in the decline. There have been some fantastic addons released in the last year but hardly any missions that use them. I suppose this is what started the enhanced config generation but because of the OFP engine not utilising the cpu the gameplay often suffered.

I think it's not so important. If BIS keeps its word about the "at-least-equal-but-maybe-better" moddable capability, better animation system for "man" and "vehicle" classes, AI improvements, viewdistance, new gfx features, etc. I won't really care the BDU-ACU, MH-6, M-113 "realistic scenario" problems.

It sounds like a nice idea, but the reality is that the vast majority of OFP missions are made with default units only. I can count on one hand the amount of mods and addons that almost everyone has and you can safely make missions for painlessly: FDF, BAS...uuh, that's it. And BAS is pushing it, since their addons all come in different little packs. Even when playing FDF MP you'll have some dumbasses who can't get it to work or haven't patched it. Include any other addon and you're in for a lot of hardcore pain when trying to play your mission with anyone else than your clan who only plays with their own Azerbadjanian Rangers addons or whatever. That's just a cold fact, one that I've had to learn several times over. Even in 2006 the vast majority of example missions that come with addons (like that ever happens...) use BIS units for OPFOR and terrain. The notion that addons solve everything is ludicrous.

If you only take pics and play around in the editor addons are a great solution, of course, but not when playing the game.

Having a good, neutral and accurate base of units is absolutely essential. That's why I suggested the BTR-70, it's in use around the world, just leave some markings off and it can pass for any old third-world military's vehicle. Or how about this: Notice how a huge part of OFP addons are reskinned BIS models? Even in mods, like FDF? The base units are important.

Well, now I can see your point more clearly... more or less I aggree. Feels more important to support the unified standard projects like JAM, CAVS, ECP and such.

Quote[/b] ]LizardX Posted on May 13 2006,07:49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, now I can see your point more clearly... more or less I aggree. Feels more important to support the unified standard projects like JAM, CAVS, ECP and such.

A good idea,  maybe we should have more organization on our part for the mod groups support.  Have the most liked (voted) standards post their requirements, and have all external submissions properly approved, or altered to fit and added on to a proper download that gets updated every 6 months or whatever.

In short, we might need an addon governing system (user run, of course) that knocks out duplicates, and constantly refines and orders downloadable content. Edit: must be globally accepted (i.e. : on OFPEC and ArmedAssault.eu and OFPinfo, etc)  Of course, lone- wolf addons will still be made (and approved and added) but the 'standard' of usable units for missions will be much larger and more widely accepted.

Just an organized unit trial and vote thread would serve to begin with.

[dream over]  thumbs-up.gif

Gollum1, we still don't know wether those vehicles belong to the US or Southern Sahrani forces...

Don't forget, Placebo said that there are only a handful of American forces on the island when the conflict starts, so I would assume most of the allied forces are those of Southern Sahrani.

I haven't heard too much talk about the terrain from anyone yet. What do you guys think about that?

In this picture the terrain is clearly not limited to 50 x 50m cells. (Bottom Half)

Indeed, much smaller cells. Or the engine creates it smoother.

I really missed that (was immersed, needed to pull back), and WOW, the ability to look from one CITY to another from a hilltop is amazing. recon, sniping and artillery will never be the same.

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifsmile_o.gif

Gollum1, we still don't know wether those vehicles belong to the US or Southern Sahrani forces...

Don't forget, Placebo said that there are only a handful of American forces on the island when the conflict starts, so I would assume most of the allied forces are those of Southern Sahrani.

Very true! I honestly didn't think of that. It would make sense that they would be using older NATO/US equipment. The M113 and AH-1 are used by many countries.

But looking at the weapon and equipment inaccuracies in OFP and Resistance, I wouldn't put it past BIS.

I don't really care about the equipment. AI is the most important thing, cuz there is a Big mod making community smile_o.gif

a better addon system is needed too, kind of tired for restarting the hold game for another server with another bunch of addons, and the system just cant take 13 GB of addons (which already well sorted to save HD space) at once confused_o.gif