Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Track ir

Yeah. this TrackIR looks very nice for me. biggrin_o.gif I really want it now

I’m so glad leaning is analog!! Great job guys!

After seeing how well they are incorporating 4DOF, now I kind of want 6DOF, lol. Actually, let me correct that, 5DOF for ground soldiers and 6DOF for driving/flying, since off the top of my head I can’t think of how the X axis would be implemented for ground soldiers. But if we had a Y axis................ Imagine crouching behind an object that is just above your head. Instead of standing up completely to look over it, you would only have to raise your head up a little, so only your head would be vulnerable instead of your entire upper body.

This might be asking for too much, but I can always hope.............

Either way, great job on TrackIR support so far!! inlove.gif

wonder how this will work in MP? cause it could be alot of code you know?

Nice to know you can put the tape on your headphones too, always wearing a hat could suck. The day you dont need anything will be a great day, I'm sure they are working on it. There is already face/eye/mouth detection out there.

wonder how this will work in MP? cause it could be alot of code you know?

Shouldn't be any different then what OFP can allready do with the head mouse look except you have the option to use the mouse or TrackIR which gives you more options and freedom.

That new video is beyond fantastic. That's exactly what I was hoping ArmA would support, and it actually ended up looking better than I was expecting (from third and first person).

notworthy.gif

Absolutely beautiful.

Yeah in MP there will be problems. Some of the players have TrackIR, some don't and that's somekind of cheating confused_o.gif

Nice to know you can put the tape on your headphones too, always wearing a hat could suck.

The "tape" (single dots) can't lean. You need the Vector clip to get more than left/right/up/down movement. You put the Vector clip on the brim of a cap. But you can always buy a Trackvisor instead of a Trackhat. Personally I dont mind wearing my Trackhat while gaming.

TrackClip-black-isoRight.jpg

Quote[/b] ]Some of the players have TrackIR, some don't and that's somekind of cheating

So if someone using a HOTAS+pedals against a guy with just a joystick in flight-sims is cheating too? huh.gif

@BenceRAP -> good point..

@Shadow -> also good point..

i hope the controls are easy to handle with keys for the ones who woun't have TrackIr. Hope its not impossible..

Can someone explains how the same movements for trackIr works with keyboard only?

I would say they work as they did before in OFP.

Using your keypad. And leaning will be defined on 2 extra keys like in VBS imho. However the Track-IR video that was just released is really nice and I ordered my Track-IR already and the "Wireless 3D Glasses" as well.

Friend of mine uses them in VBS and is quite happy with them. Bravo, you know him, Wildgoose got a pair of them glasses.

You could use pedals for smooth leaning without TrackIR  crazy_o.gif  wink_o.gif

It's not cheating. It's simply hardware to make your gaming experience more real. Sure it might give you an advantage. But that would a joystick, expensive mouse, new graphics card and a large screen as well..

Should we all have the same hardware to call it fair gaming?

You could use pedals for smooth leaning without TrackIR crazy_o.gifwink_o.gif

Or maybe a joystick right (for leaning and looking too)? biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

I did not see the Z-axis (zoom) feature in the vid though, unless it was assigned to iron sights .... Argh!

You don`t understand the benefits a game like ArmA can get with the implementation of Z-axis IRsights...

Quote[/b] ]Not sure that I would like that! To me the main purpose of Track ir is to add realism and

immersion to a game by simulating the effects of your head movements.

While using sights in RL you have to adjust the distance between your eye and the rear sight...so that`s a "head movement"

Quote[/b] ]If I then move forwards and suddenly my view becomes an iron sight or a sniper scope that would not be realistic and would not work for me.

My suggestion for bot ArmA and Game2 (some othe members have suggested this too).

1Weapon default possition - safe

2mouse click (left or right) - weapon up anim/weapon ready (fire if you use crosshair)

3Use track IR if you want to use IR sights.

Move your head forward  and the gun will be rised a bit to see the IR sight.(If you move your head forward while in safe, you jump in IR sights view anyway, with the weapon up anim of course)

Now, zooming the IR sight/scope to the screen level is unrealistic, what would be better is rather manipulating the distance between your virtual head and the IR sight.

Moving your head would move your character`s head too, so you could have more narrow FOV while in IR sight mode, which wouldn`t be a "mode"...just a camera movement...

You could still look left or right without any zoom, because your head would be closer to the IR sight. That would almost require to clos your eye to have better wiev! So, not zooming IR`s, only movin your head closer to them.

Quote[/b] ]Personally I would rather leave toggling

iron sight view to a mouse/keyboard button, after all this is an

action not a view movement and in any case would be a lot easier than moving your head to and fro like some head-banger trying to find his target!

Not exactly, toggling the view by a single button Isn`t as fluent as It can be with the usage of IRT,  pop up IR sight isn`t good either so imho you`re wrong m8...unless you re thinking about 2D IR sights...That would suck, I admit... crazy_o.gif

edit: comment to the post below

You`re right Red kite wink_o.gif ....however tounge2.gif I don`t think that there is a better way to simulate the IRsights view currently...

regards

Quote[/b] ]Personally I would rather leave toggling

iron sight view to a mouse/keyboard button, after all this is an

action not a view movement and in any case would be a lot easier than moving your head to and fro like some head-banger trying to find his target!

Not exactly, toggling the view by a single button Isn`t as fluent as It can be with the usage of IRT,  pop up IR sight isn`t good either so imho you`re wrong m8...unless you re thinking about 2D IR sights...That would suck, I admit...:crazy:

regards

I think how each individual chooses to use Track ir is a personal thing and there is no 'right' or 'wrong' with how someone chooses to assign the functions. If you feel that having the Z-axis assigned to iron sight mode is a good idea then that is fine by me! tounge2.gif  ... However, I will reserve any further comment on this until I have had a chance to try the device with all its movements in the hopefully 'soon to be released' demo.  wink_o.gif

Nice to know you can put the tape on your headphones too, always wearing a hat could suck.

The "tape" (single dots) can't lean. You need the Vector clip to get more than left/right/up/down movement. You put the Vector clip on the brim of a cap. But you can always buy a Trackvisor instead of a Trackhat. Personally I dont mind wearing my Trackhat while gaming.

Screw that. I'm gonna order three strips of the 1"x1' raw material and tape it to my body - nothing but tape. I will let your imagination try and figure out where. tounge2.gif

rofl.gif

If ArmA would be delayed for a little bit more, maybe i could earn some money for TrackIR in that time... biggrin_o.gif

You'll have time; it's because they implement stuff like this that 95% of players won't use that the game keeps getting pushed further back!  icon_rolleyes.gif

I just saw the new TrackIR video and i wonder if it will be possible to actually look through your weapons sights with your head. I mean that you cant just hit "V" and you have your sight perfectly placed in front of your eye.

This would be fo f***ing great smile_o.gif

I just saw the new TrackIR video and i wonder if it will be possible to actually look through your weapons sights with your head. I mean that you cant just hit "V" and you have your sight perfectly placed in front of your eye.

This could very easily be a really, really bad idea. Sight alignment in real life relies a great deal upon the shooter having a stock weld with the weapon - you can't (or at least can't easily) simulate that in a game. Having to jiggle your head around to get your sights aligned properly may sound cool to people who have never actually fired a real rifle and don't understand how the process works, I'll grant you that, but it's not a good idea.

This could very easily be a really, really bad idea. Sight alignment in real life relies a great deal upon the shooter having a stock weld with the weapon - you can't (or at least can't easily) simulate that in a game. Having to jiggle your head around to get your sights aligned properly may sound cool to people who have never actually fired a real rifle and don't understand how the process works, I'll grant you that, but it's not a good idea.

Erm..... Isn't this what funnyguy1 and I were just arguing about?  whistle.gif  Seems you've just made my point though!  tounge2.gif

And yea I've shot many a real rifle, and will confirm that raising a weapon to your head is definitely not a head movement only. It requires coordination of your arms, head, focus and balance. Trying to simulate this in a game simply by using the Z-axis of Track ir will not work IMO. Trying to simulate too many actions such as this in a game is gonna make the whole gaming experience hard work! Best that we don't sit at our computers at all but instead stand on an automatic jogging machine holding a simulated real weapon and carrying all the heavy gear! The Track ir reflectors should be able to clip onto the front of that tin helmet! .... Nice way to unwind after a days work? ... I don't think so! biggrin_o.gif

You'll have time; it's because they implement stuff like this that 95% of players won't use that the game keeps getting pushed further back!  icon_rolleyes.gif

How do you know that? Do you know something about Arma I dont?

ArmA is the perfect candidate for TIR-support. If you dont get that you really should try a TIR before arguing against.

I agree, red Kite.

If I wanted to work out instead of relaxing while gaming I'd buy the Wii when it comes out  biggrin_o.gif

Well, that`s a inconsistency(??). Everyone here want`s BIS games to be as realistic as they can be, of course with the option to turn the stuff off from time to time for a stunt party....

I`m also a normal guy who has a lot of work and preffer sitting in my room and playing ArmA than runing with a 30kg on my back, and still I don`t understand why manipulating the distance between the rear sight and your character`s eye (which with the help of the z-axis of IRT, would be almost your own eye) to have a custom view through the both iron sights is a bad idea.

IRT is a customisable thing, so there shouldn`t be a problem with changing the z-axis sensivity (moving your head a bit forward isn`t more exhaustive than moving your head a bit to the left or right), besides If you preffer the pop-up iron sights you could have them, and use the z-axis for something else, why not?

The fact is that the current iron sights are bad, because the`re either blocking the whole screen or sometimes they`re simply not big enough...

I`ve also shot a rifle, and played with ASG a lot and can say that sure, It`s not the perfect solution, but It`s a step forward in simulating shooting, and a extra feel of actually having the rifle stock near to your head...

I`m not saying that everyone should like It though, and know that you`re not forcing me not to use IRT for this either, but like I said, although It`s not perfect, It`s a best solution currently.

I am familiar with many kinds of weapons and i shoot several times a week. I know what I'm talking about and i know that its not easy to implement it into the game in a way that it's playable but i am absolutely sure that BIS can make it (if they want whistle.gif )

Quote[/b] ]And in case someone brings up the BIS/ARMA discount action...this is only a discount that NaturalPoint (the makers of TrackIR in US) gives. This only is a good deal (discount) if you are in the US, otherwise the eD. is a cheaper way to go.

And no..eDimensional doesn't allow the BIS discount as it is NaturalPoint only.

So if you life outside the USA the eDimensional Track-IR offer seems the cheaper solution.

If you calculate shipping and everything else into it...

thing that puzzles my about track ir is ...(not that ive used it ) but i imagine if you turn your head to look out the side of your plane ....

how the ---- you meant to see where your going if you not looking at the screen lol ?

you move your head to the left or right slightly, so you are still able to look at the computer screen. You can also adjust the sensitivity of movement. I would love to have Track IR support in OFP, I can imagine moving my head as a foot soldier or helo pilot.... And the view changes. Track IR's large benefit is in instant situational awareness. I have used it alot in IL2, and in OFP it would be very useful when flying or on the ground. As we all know that sometimes we get tunnel vision when fighting as infantry. IE we only concentrate on our forward flank. Its a reminder to us all that the battlefield is 360 degrees.

...So you turn your head (just a little) and the image on your monitor adjusts to look at the required viewing angle, correct?

But you still have to keep your eye on the monitor to see the image, even if you alter the settings.  Meaning you'll bee looking out of the corner of your eyes while rotating your head, keeping your eyes locked on the screen..?

It all sounds very unNatural to me.

If there was some kind of Virtual Realitly eliment to it where the image is constantly infront of your field of view then yes, but this IRTrack sounds a bit of a potch to me.  More haslte than it's worth.

Sorry but; I dont care and wont be buying one.

Lets just call it a 'view controller' that allows more situational awareness, and just so happens to be ~10 x cheaper than the lowest quality VR goggles that meet gaming specs. Tradeoffs to create a reasonable kickoff price.