Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Track ir

Good for you Stegman.  biggrin_o.gif  If you can't imagine how it works, it must be pants. What logic.

You are of course correct. TrackIR is rubbish. That is why (tens of?) thousands of units have been sold and many game developers have taken time and effort to implement it in their games. Sounds like rubbish to me  crazy_o.gif

As for TrackIR being some sort of cheat in a multiplayer game, this topic has been done to death in other forums such as IL2:Forgotten Battles. In the end, the people without a TrackIR had to admit that it was better to have one than not, and just went off in a huff. It's not really any more of a cheat than people who change their brightness or gamma on their monitors so they can see better in dark environments (or lower the resolution in combat flight sims so they can see the enemy planes earlier). In fact it's better than that, since those dubious practices make for a lesser simulation and less pleasing eye candy, while TrackIR just increases the immersion and situational awareness for those who have it. Another way of looking at it is;, do you consider having a joystick/throttle/rudder pedals a cheat if it lets you fly aircraft better than someone who only has a keyboard? If so, there's been a lot of cheats in OFP for some time!

I'm afraid it comes down to being allowable in the game, so if you don't like it, tough. Personally I love my TrackIR (would rather eat my leg off than do without it) and look forward greatly to its use in ArmA (I was a big fan of using the Alt key to look around in OFP).

goodnight.gif

P.S. If you live in the UK, then you can get TrackIR from RC Simulation. A nice bunch of people to deal with.

http://www.rcsimulations.com/trackir4.htm

@stegman: you can fine-tune the setting in a menu of the TIR setup. There you can define your dead zones and the wanted maximun degree of (RL) head movement in all directions. In the end i guess it is somewhere between 5-10 degrees for RL head movement, compaired to 90-130 degree ingame head movement.

Also you won't be doing that all of the time, it is for sort 'peeping'. I know some don't really see the point in that (see the old OFP ALT combination) but if all the head movement can be controle with your head directly (including leaning) without the need of keyboard input...

You are indeed somehow correct it is a bit unnatural (the fact you need to turn your head and still keep looking at your screen.

BUT for some time now there is a new invention on the market, called 'ducktape'. Ducktape your monitor onto your face on minimum 30cm... whistle.gif (joking mate). I know what you mean, and this is maybe the only negative point i can find on the product (the fact you ned to keep your eyes at one point on the screen). But after a while you get used to it, and so far i like it in other supported games.

Untill the industry and game developers smell and have the funds to integrate 'GOOD' vr-googles, this is the best solution on the market today.

(* dreams on of that day we will be playing with something like the techno. behind Imax3D...at HD resolution).

Quote[/b] ]Untill the industry and game developers smell and have the funds to integrate 'GOOD' vr-googles, this is the best solution on the market today.

I hate to not agree with you DS, you know that...but...

There would be a better solution than Track-IR.

And that's the 3D Visor.

However, I think that Track-IR and the 3D glasses are definatly the cheaper solution.... tounge2.gif

However, I think that Track-IR and the 3D glasses are definatly the cheaper solution.... tounge2.gif

Throw a Fresnel lens into the equation and what would we have? :

A head tracking system, true stereoscopic vision and an extra large view area and enhanced perspective!

.... I’ve not tried it yet, but watch this space 'cos I will be soon!  delerious.gif

I hate to not agree with you DS, you know that...but...

There would be a better solution than Track-IR.

And that's the 3D Visor.

Did you read about that product? It has a supported resolution of 800x600 at 60hz. crazy_o.gif

I think I'd much rather stick with a TrackIR 4 on my 20" LCD at 1600x1200.

I wish the best of luck to anyone who would even attempt to play Flashpoint or Armed Assault with an 800x600 resolution.. rofl.gif

Ive got a Track IR4 now and its very smooth in Falcon4 AF 3d view.

I can completely turn my head to look at whatever behind me and when i turn back to the screen it doesnt have to be centered.

Looking forward to seeing how itll go in AA.

how many times will people post the google video again in this thread? pistols.gif

I can completely turn my head to look at whatever behind me and when i turn back to the screen it doesnt have to be centered.

Do you mean you can turn your back on your monitor?  How does that work? confused_o.gif

Do you mean you can turn your back on your monitor? How does that work? confused_o.gif

No, he means that even though you move your head more than the max angle that the game can take. It doesn't move his head ingame offcenter when he returns looking directly at the screen.

Do you mean you can turn your back on your monitor? How does that work? confused_o.gif

No, he means that even though you move your head more than the max angle that the game can take. It doesn't move his head ingame offcenter when he returns looking directly at the screen.

But then your looking at the rest of your room and not the game right? I think thats what stegman meant. If your not looking at the monitor then you cant see the game. I really dont know how it works huh.gif Do you wear goggles?

Quote[/b] ]

Throw a Fresnel lens into the equation and what would we have? :

A head tracking system, true stereoscopic vision and an extra large view area and enhanced perspective!

I don't want to be negative, but imho it still wont give you the full feeling/experience like you are inside the game itself (like a decent VR-goggle would give you), in the end you will still have the feeling you sit behind a screen (head focused on screen) instead of a 'dome' feeling you have with nothing else then ingame footage around you. I guess it will give you an 'extra' just like TIR4 is an extra experience, but still not the full 'dome' effect.

@Andy: i understand and i guess the Z800 is the best buy and overall most supported goggle, but i'm still doughting what quality it gives you (800x600 and what i have read in some reviews that just ain't good enough confused_o.gif ).

Just meantioned the Imax3D afaik this will deliver you insane quality (but at what price etc...).

EDIT: Guess it is for some hard to understand how the TIRs really work. Quick (last) attempt how they work.

1. You get a tracking device, that needs to be installed on top of your screen (or somewhere). Best is directly infront of your head and best on the same height of your head (optimal head tracking position).

2. To used all availible features of TIR (the DOF movements), you need to wear a hat with the included 3 reflecting dots. This is needed to 'track' and calculate the head position (3D).

Now for the software part, there is a setup/test program that will give you two windows. One beeing your actual (RL) head movement, the other the ingame (software converted) head movement. Now comes that hardest part to explain, for those who don't have the tool. Simply: if you move your head in RL 1°, the software will move the head ingame by 5° (example..as you can fine-tune it etc.). So you won't every loose sight of the monitor, max you will move your head 15°/25° off center and that will ingame be equalvent to 60° or +- the max. look-behind-you view.

I will see what is possible, maybe i try to capture the movement (RL/ingame) of the tool and share it.

Hope it helped sofar.

I must agree with DaSquade. It wount give you the full feeling/experience like you are inside the game itself.

maybe soon we will have that experience with some other new technology..

The TIR movement.

(movie capture didn't worked, or at least it didn't showed the two seperate windows...they were merged, so very hard to see confused_o.gif )...so pics will need to do:

Centered

http://users.pandora.be/EEChome/TIR/snap1002.jpg

Look right / Yaw movement

http://users.pandora.be/EEChome/TIR/snap1003.jpg

Look up / Pitch movement

http://users.pandora.be/EEChome/TIR/snap1004.jpg

Tilt / Roll movement

http://users.pandora.be/EEChome/TIR/snap1005.jpg

Move Right / X-movement

http://users.pandora.be/EEChome/TIR/snap1008.jpg

Move up / Y-movement

http://users.pandora.be/EEChome/TIR/snap1007.jpg

Zoom / Z-movement

http://users.pandora.be/EEChome/TIR/snap1006.jpg

Note: My TIR tracking device is positioned above my dual monitor and i don't sit perfectly infront of my 'game' monitor, this has some influences on the TIR tracking (see green tracking strips...right window). Also it isn't prefectly tuned yet, need ArmA (demo) first wink_o.gif . But i hope it helped a bit..as you see the the movement of 'your head', it doesn't require much movement (away from screen) to get the max. head movement ingame.

Just watch the TrackIR ArmA demo video. It speaks for itself.

I use TrackIR for years now. It is the best peace of hardware one could imagine for use with:

1.) Flight sims

2.) Car racing sims

If you like cockpits and want to look around instead of a more or less static front view...THEN TrackIR is THE SOLUTION!

BUT...not all games can take advantage of TrackIR or its full 6 degres of freedom.

AND what has always been logical but never implemented:

TrackIR in a FPS game.

There had been a few games with seperated body and head movements a la OFP or Thief3 for example. There are a few more out, I know.

All these games shouted for a TrackIR solution. Now ArmA is the first using it professionally.

TrackIR can make the difference in a game, no doubt.

I must agree with DaSquade. It wount give you the full feeling/experience like you are inside the game itself.

maybe soon we will have that experience with some other new technology..

Well, the "Wireless 3D Glasses" take you one step closer to be "inside the game". However, you can't wear them for hours since you will get a headache of them. But they work very, very nice together with the Track-IR.

Quote[/b] ]Can the trackIR be used with the 3D glasses?

Absolutely, they work great together! There is no problem using either the wired or wireless glasses together with the trackIR. We actually recommend them together for the ultimate in realism and situational awareness.

And the best thing is they only cost you about another 80€.

Like I said before, I ordered them with my Track-IR and it's 2 different things with and without them.

Well, the 3D Glasses take you one step closer to be "inside the game". However, you can't wear them for hours since you will get a headache of them. But they work very, very nice together with the Track-IR.

Never got a headache with mine, i think it comes down to how good your monitor is.

I ran mine at 1600X1200@100hz (22inch) and it was amazing, but in OPF the 2d flat sights killed the immersion alot....best effect i had was during flying and Source games.

With the right settings a crosshar will look like a holo-sight, but since the game now has depth it is pretty easy to shoot without them.....gotta try with my LCD.

However, you can't wear them for hours since you will get a headache of them.

exactly! specially when you play 4 hours straight.. at least..

Those glasses are not good for core players.. The glasses that i want are not built yet.. wink_o.gif

The TIR movement.

(movie capture didn't worked, or at least it didn't showed the two seperate windows...they were merged, so very hard to see  confused_o.gif )...so pics will need to do:

Centered

http://users.pandora.be/EEChome/TIR/snap1002.jpg

Look right / Yaw movement

http://users.pandora.be/EEChome/TIR/snap1003.jpg

Look up / Pitch movement

http://users.pandora.be/EEChome/TIR/snap1004.jpg

Tilt / Roll movement

http://users.pandora.be/EEChome/TIR/snap1005.jpg

Move Right / X-movement

http://users.pandora.be/EEChome/TIR/snap1008.jpg

Move up / Y-movement

http://users.pandora.be/EEChome/TIR/snap1007.jpg

Zoom / Z-movement

http://users.pandora.be/EEChome/TIR/snap1006.jpg

Note: My TIR tracking device is positioned above my dual monitor and i don't sit perfectly infront of my 'game' monitor, this has some influences on the TIR tracking (see green tracking strips...right window). Also it isn't prefectly tuned yet, need ArmA (demo) first  wink_o.gif . But i hope it helped a bit..as you see the the movement of 'your head', it doesn't require much movement (away from screen) to get the max. head movement ingame.

..hmm. I see. Thanks for the info.

But even though you move your head a little, you still need to keep your eyes glued to the monitor in front of you.

The 3D glasses that have been mentioned look like the best solution, but if they hurt your head that cant be good! They must bugger up your eys something terrible!

So, do i want to play ArmA for a few years, or keep my eye sight for the rest of my life...? tough one... wow_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]But even though you move your head a little, you still need to keep your eyes glued to the monitor in front of you.

ehhhh, what you wanna do? Look "around" your screen?

Of cours eyou could invest in a "video beamer", I guess that would sort most of all problems for anyone... nener.gif

I meesed with the settings of my glasses some more, I guess I'm fine now. Must have been some weird noob settings. Using your binoc's with this or looking through your scope is just... inlove.gif

Now gimme that ArmA demo BI... biggrin_o.gif

track-IR doesnt "glue" our eyes to the center of screen any differently than playing a game without track-IR.

all your'e doing is panning with your head (w/ small head movements), rather than a mouse. but scanning the area with our eyes. it does not force us to look at the center at any point in time. (but it might feel that way if you have a smaller monitor...///may i suggest the fresnel lens thread to help??? :P)

actually, due to using track-IR, i have noticed that I have developed quicker scanning techniques, due to the constantly changing "scope" of the of surrounding areas I look at.

that and it just feels more immersive using our head for well, head movement. smile_o.gif

if i can figure out how to record from my camera onto the comp..ill try to post a small video of it in action, just so those who dont know how it works, can see it in action . with both head movmement, and in game footage at same viewing angle.

I have trackir 4 pro... Do you guys have any sugestions for affordable VR googles?

look 4-5 posts UP... icon_rolleyes.gif