Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Track ir

A pilot can control the cannon without a gunner.

No.

In theory, yes. But its not a viable option. The TIR doesnt have the resolution required to be that accurate.

Its best kept to be used for panning your view and its awesome at that.

You should try the SU27(?) in LOMAC with the helmet mounted sight to test out its ability to track and lock targets.

The helmet reticule is circular and its more than easy enough to track and lock a target using TrackIR and IMHO, its more precise than using a joystick hat switch to look around or try to lock a target.

My only disagreement would be allowing the pilot to control weapons and guns on Helicopters as realistically, its the job of the CoPilot/Gunner to do this.

Having the ability to use TrackIR as CPG will make the experience more realistic and again, add to the tactics used by players in game.

You should try the SU27(?) in LOMAC with the helmet mounted sight to test out its ability to track and lock targets.

I'm aware of the targetting mode but the Russian planes dont interest me. I fly the Hog exclusively in LOMAC:FC.

Quote[/b] ]My only disagreement would be allowing the pilot to control weapons and guns on Helicopters as realistically, its the job of the CoPilot/Gunner to do this.

All modern gunships have redundant flight and weapons controll. Both Pilot and CP/G can do each others tasks.

Quote[/b] ]Having the ability to use TrackIR as CPG will make the experience more realistic and again, add to the tactics used by players in game.

And make the CP/G tear his hair off. The TIR is not accurate enough to use as a aiming device. The helmet-system in LOMAC does not recquire pin-point accuracy where as in OFP/ArmA you want to be as accurate as you would with the mouse aiming a rifle. I tried. The TIR is a viewing device, not a aiming device.

Ooops, srry, didn't realise it was old

Been interested in a set of TrackIR pro's for some time now (i used to play LOMAC alot). Now that i know ArmA will finally fully support it, i ordered me one yesterday...i directly went for the TrackIR pro 4.

Anyway, afaik it isn't support by OFP/VBS atm, but i thought i read some time ago in this or an other topic someone had it running in OFP. I can't seam to find that info anymore...

I will have it here in a few days (hopefully), so i was wondering if anybody can help me out on some additional info who they got it to work under OFP(/VBS).

Anyway, i hope it is as good as people say, but i'm pretty sure it will be a new dimension (as i used the free look mode a lot)...

[starts to pull out the ALT key of keyboard biggrin_o.gif ]

The only way to use the TIR in OFP is by using a 3rd-party tool to make the TIR emulate the mouse. This is a very bad solution because you have no center reference-point, but its the only solution if you must use the TIR in a game that doesnt support it. In Arma this will be a thing of the past since it will support TIR natively like just another set of analogue axis (think joystick).

The only way to use the TIR in OFP is by using a 3rd-party tool to make the TIR emulate the mouse. This is a very bad solution because you have no center reference-point, but its the only solution if you must use the TIR in a game that doesnt support it. In Arma this will be a thing of the past since it will support TIR natively like just another set of analogue axis (think joystick).

I use trackmapper to map the numkeys... this way I can look around in ofp using it.

For those who use trackir....

I am currently looking at getting the trackir 4 pro but am not sure what all I need to buy. does the trackir 4 pro come with everything a person would need to use it with armed assault? or do I need to buy some of the stickers and other items they sell on thier site?

I am currently looking at getting the trackir 4 pro but am not sure what all I need to buy.  does the trackir 4 pro come with everything a person would need to use it with armed assault?  or do I need to buy some of the stickers and other items they sell on thier site?

You get the device which sits on your monitor (or where ever) complete with USB cable, you get a metal clip with reflectors on it that clips onto a cap or your head phones and you get the software on a CD! That’s all you need! You might want to buy their cap but any cap with a peek will do or use your headphones like me.  wink_o.gif

I am currently looking at getting the trackir 4 pro but am not sure what all I need to buy.  does the trackir 4 pro come with everything a person would need to use it with armed assault?  or do I need to buy some of the stickers and other items they sell on thier site?

You get the device which sits on your monitor (or where ever) complete with USB cable, you get a metal clip with reflectors on it that clips onto a cap or your head phones and you get the software on a CD! That’s all you need! You might want to buy their cap but any cap with a peek will do or use your headphones like me.  wink_o.gif

Thanks for the reply. Im going to order one up right now. yay.gif

I am currently looking at getting the trackir 4 pro but am not sure what all I need to buy. does the trackir 4 pro come with everything a person would need to use it with armed assault? or do I need to buy some of the stickers and other items they sell on thier site?

You get the device which sits on your monitor (or where ever) complete with USB cable, you get a metal clip with reflectors on it that clips onto a cap or your head phones and you get the software on a CD! That’s all you need! You might want to buy their cap but any cap with a peek will do or use your headphones like me. wink_o.gif

Can you post a picture of the TrackClip attached to your headphones? Does it look wierd? I would prefer not to have to use a hat (I'm not a fan of hats).

Also, how does the device sit on your monitor? My monitor is angled up as far as the base will let it, so will I have to tape the TrackIR device to my monitor?

tir4pro.jpg

The sensor device has claw like feet that will either free stand like in the pic or clamp onto a frame or something as it has rubber feet that swivel tightly. The clip will go over the peak of a baseball type cap or clip onto the top part of your headphones. Yes it does look weird, if that bothers you! My wife thinks that I look like a butterfly! Personally I don’t care about things like that as I don't have any mirrors near for me to look in!   tounge2.gif

Oh, and the pen is just for scale! The whole thing is quite tiny!  wink_o.gif

My wife thinks that I look like a butterfly!

LOL! I guess I would rather look like a butterfly then wear a hat, lol.

Man, that thing is really small. And thx for the pic. biggrin_o.gif

LOL i was like damn thats big! then i realized that theres a pen! DOH! banghead.gif getting late here...

I've had mine a while now and like it a lot. I was surprised and kinda disappointed at the same time when I saw how small it was!!

The company had sent it in a much larger box filled with packing foam to make sure it didnt get damaged. Its amazing how something so small can do so much.

One downside I have noticed is that it can sometimes be affected by bright sunlight shining off walls. I always use the tools in the setup to make sure there are no bright spots behind me to throw it off.

Got mine today!

Sorry to drag this offtopic again (delete it mods if you feel it is needed).

@Shadow: what 3rd party tool do you use to emulate the mouse to trackIR? Somehow that looks reasonable and the best (haven't tested so don't know). I know someone that uses the same i guess, but haven't seen him to ask. Not sure if the center reference is needed (again, can't really tell without testing it out ingame i guess), but i suppose most of the shooting is done through the scope and hopefully that isn't overwritten by trackIR.

@Espectro: tried you "trackmapper", but it wasn't any good imho. Since it works with predifined zones connected to your tracker, it doesn't work that good as it should (then the old ALT + mouse option standard in OFP is better imho). Also i couldn't define the centerzone, so when you use tracker is goes in zones of 90° (see numlock views) and no way i can go back to centerview. You can but only when moving forward + moving mouse and even then it doesn't work that great.

So in case somebody can help onnon-supported games, plz do.

ONTOPIC again: tested it in LockOn, thumbs-up.gif oh boy is it worth the money...! Can't wait for AmrA. I use the free look mode a lot (in VBS/OFP) and imho a game without it is just plain arcade and just doesn't feel right.

Thanks BIS for integrading this piece of hardware.

what 3rd party tool do you use to emulate the mouse to trackIR? Somehow that looks reasonable and the best (haven't tested so don't know).

It's not a 3rd party tool, look in the directory where you installed TrackIR and there will be a file called TIRMouse.exe. Be sure to run the regular .exe first as this program works in addition to it. While TIRMouse is running your TrackIR will control your mouse (even in the OS).

Learn something every day I guess  whistle.gif

I was'nt aware N.point had finally put the mouse-emulation back in. Thanks for the reminder, Strango.

@DaSquade: As Strango say, you can use the built-in mouse-emulation, but be prepared to fall out of your chair while trying to recenter  rofl.gif

Since it works exactly like a mouse it doesnt have a center point. That means if you move the cursor to the edge of the screen and keep moving your head in that direction, as soon as you start moving the other way the cursor will emediately start to follow. You'll wear out F12 (default re-center) in no time  biggrin_o.gif

But since Arma will support TIR it will behave in the same manner as in LOMAC.

Thanks for the info (thanks to wildgoose as he pointed out the trackIR mouse emulation before i checked again here).

crazy_o.gif OK, that doesn't help it eather whistle.gif , back to OFP/VBS without trackIR. Imho it isn't helping as it should, but i didn't expect much as it isn't core supported.

Ohwell, more to look out for when ArmA comes out i guess, unless some code goeroe (hmhm..keygets? biggrin_o.gif ) get sponsored and comes up with a 3rd party tool that does the job as it should.

Anyway,..was worth the try...back to LockOn or an other game to enjoy the trackIR untill ArmA comes out goodnight.gif .

I mentioned it before but now i have to post a link because it doesn't look like anyone looked up the video clip. People who are still questioning power of TrackIR or those who just want to see how amazing it can be please download and watch this video clip of a WIP addon for LOMAC called Blackshark.

It is available on http://www.lockon.ru/index.p....lang=en

Unfortunatly you have to register to download "Black Shark: Free Flight" but it is well worth the effort. This is not the same trailer that is on the TrackIR website.

It all depends on what games you play. Remember though your not going to be able to do 6DOF in ArmA. Right now on the trackIR website it just mentions 4 (Yaw,Pitch,Roll,Z). It does not support X and Y (moving your head up/down and left/right). So far, all we have seen from that one video is Yaw and Pitch (I think). If you can justify paying the money for it's use in just ArmA then go ahead. If you also play racing and/or flight sims, this is a must have (So I hear). I am waiting to see how well it's implemented in ArmA before I buy.

I think Naturalpoint has made a number of sales from this thread and now they have made another. They even happen to be based not too far from where I live.

The only thing that concerns me is what the replacement warranty might be and how long these things last. I've heard that the TR4 gets awfuly hot.

It all depends on what games you play. Remember though your not going to be able to do 6DOF in ArmA. Right now on the trackIR website it just mentions 4 (Yaw,Pitch,Roll,Z). It does not support X and Y (moving your head up/down and left/right). So far, all we have seen from that one video is Yaw and Pitch (I think). If you can justify paying the money for it's use in just ArmA then go ahead. If you also play racing and/or flight sims, this is a must have (So I hear). I am waiting to see how well it's implemented in ArmA before I buy.

First of all: we once have this. So the "X" axis actually can be the lean left/right.

Second: very difficult the real 6DOF imagine in an FPS game. Just think it over, for "Z" axis, your head and upper body move to front or back. Have you ever seen an FPS game, modelled this movement? Or the Roll (of the head)?

Third: if the ArmA are left enough space to customize your control (wich i bet), then you can set the controls of the TrackIR axis. For example, you can set the "Z" axis for the optics zoom.