Sign in to follow this  
KEVBAZ

Call of Duty 2

I got to play Pacific Assault, it was indeed great, but I felt like Pearl Harbor was kind of as far as it went with events, big ones at least... although I'm interested in the small ones more... maybe I should get it? I don't know..... I guess I'm kind of waiting for a more, well, "decent" game to come up. Pacific Assault is kind of limited in scenarios and such. But it was great, I guess.

If I were to fight in four roles I'd choose:

An American soldier in The Pacific.

A Japanese soldier in the Pacific.

A Russian conscript in the Russia-Germany war.

A German soldier soldier somewhere in Europe.

A game with those four campaigns would be perfect for me.

I too, would like to see a german campaign in a game. Or a good movie about it at that. But one can wish sad_o.gif Its really too bad that generally a normal wehrmacht soldier in a game would be immediately be mistaken for an SS nazi Jew-murderer, which is the reason why they wouldn't do that. I am not trying to promote the atrocities that occured during the time period, but I think it would be cool to be put in the part of a normal german soldier.

Making a german campaign would be running around on a minefield. One can only imagine the boycotts and not to mention possible effects of some overzealous anti-nazi laws in certain countries.

I too, would like to see a german campaign in a game. Or a good movie about it at that. But one can wish sad_o.gif Its really too bad that generally a normal wehrmacht soldier in a game would be immediately be mistaken for an SS nazi Jew-murderer, which is the reason why they wouldn't do that. I am not trying to promote the atrocities that occured during the time period, but I think it would be cool to be put in the part of a normal german soldier.

Making a german campaign would be running around on a minefield. One can only imagine the boycotts and not to mention possible effects of some overzealous anti-nazi laws in certain countries.

exactly my point...a shame, really.

Well back in the day, that is back in the days before Battlefield, Medal of Honor, and all the other multi platform junk was around, Most world war two games allowed you to play a German campaign or a Japanese Campaign.

I still remember trying to hold off the Allies in Holland in Close Combat 2, and defending the Ball Bering plants in Schweinfurt (I know I misspelled that) in Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, I even remember commanding a Panzer Grenadier Battalion from Kursk To Koengsberg in Steel Panthers III(could of lasted until the end of the war but what was left of my battalion was massacred when they got trapped on the wrong side of a river with no escape).

I also remember playing as the allies in all three of those games. Back then the games were all about tactics and strategy and historical study (for example: I wonder if the Germans did this instead of that at the battle of X they could of won, lets try it out). Today the games are about "story telling" and a "cinematic experience". You don't see movies about the Wermacht and you aren't going to play a game as them either.

Basically World War II games use to be like a good documentary or book. Now they are like Hollywood. 15 years ago you got a Time Life book on the eastern front, today you get Enemy at the Gates.

I think that's my biggest problem with these games. Medal of Honor Allied assault wasn't about Operation overlord and Call of Duty was about Stalingrad, they were about Saving Private Ryan and Enemy at the gates.

I read in this months "Gamesmaster" magazine that the next MOH: European Assault will be a "open battlefield" instead of the Liniar/tunnelled(sp) FSP as we know it.

Quote[/b] ] Blurring the Line

Medal of Honor European Assaultâ„¢ is the latest video game from EA's acclaimed Medal of Honor franchise, which has been credited with pioneering the WWII first-person shooter genre when it debuted in 1999. Against all odds, the leadership choices you make before and during the heat of battle will define your legacy as a hero in this highly anticipated addition to the franchise.

In Medal of Honor European Assault, the story line is the star. Europe 1942. These are desperate hours for Allied forces as the Nazi war machine rages across a devastated European landscape. You are US Army Lieutenant William Holt, hand-picked by William "Wild Bill" Donovan to be the first field agent of the newly formed Office of Strategic Services-the OSS. Medal of Honor European Assault makes you the driving force in the struggle to liberate Europe.

As with the original Medal of Honor, producers sought counsel from numerous expert sources to make certain the game is historically accurate and as realistic as possible. The EA Los Angeles development team continues to work closely with the Congressional Medal of Honor Society to ensure that Medal of Honor European Assault reflects the ideals and integrity of the prestigious Medal of Honor. In addition, Capt. Dale Dye, who served as Military Technical Advisor on the previous titles in the Medal of Honor franchise, continues his efforts with the Medal of Honor European Assault to ensure the authenticity of the experience.

Key Features

* Immerse Yourself - Explore the real history of the OSS and WWII, through a compelling storyline crafted by one of Hollywood's most legendary screenwriters.

* Forge Your Path - Your choices shape your experience as you navigate the open battlefield.

* Adrenaline - Your skill with a weapon and your courage under fire will determine when you can unleash the hero within - feel the emotion of an ordinary soldier doing extra-ordinary things.

* Gather Intelligence - Defeat enemy top brass and conquer real-time objectives, gaining an intelligence advantage in future missions.

* Take Command - Intuitive controls give you the ability to direct your squad's movements in combat. Their survival depends on you.

* Make War Personal - Cross paths with the most dangerous German leaders, armed to the teeth and gunning for you.

* Challenge Your Friends - Engage in eight different gameplay modes, including Capture The Flag, across fifteen unique multiplayer maps.

* The Real WWII - Medal of Honor European Assault is based in real WWII locations

http://www.eagames.com/official/moh/europeanassault/us/features.jsp

I always had a soft spot for Call of Duty because of the British missions. I was starting to think that I'd imagined the part we played in the war  tounge_o.gif

Nice to see they're keeping it up for the sequel. Impressive graphics, too.

My fav mission from the game was "Pegasus Bridge" and i really enjoyed playing a commando as well. One of the things i enjoyed about COD was the difference in each of the campaigns.

The US campaign was your typical run and gun fps game. The commando campaign for the Brits was top notch and quite a nice change from the US one and the Russian camp. was so engrossing it left me with a lump in my throat.

EDIT: In last months PC Gamer it was said that even though there are no plans for a German campaign, at the moment. It has a huge ally in none other than the company president and the debate to include one is still a hot topic at Infinity Ward.

Dig dig, this is important and no reason to open a new thread for this.

Anyway, here is something you people can chew on while we wait on Armed Assault (demo, please? whistle.gif)

I give you... Call of Duty 2 demo!

http://www.gamershell.com/download_10902.shtml

http://browse.files.filefront.com/Call_Of....es.html

http://www.worthdownloading.com/download.php?gid=1272&id=5513

http://dlx.gamespot.com/pc/callofduty2/moreinfo_6134353.html

yay.gif

62 hours at 3.27 kb/s

Yeah, I don't think I will be downloading this from gamershell.  crazy_o.gif

I'm having a feeling that filefront will be better though.

62 hours at 3.27 kb/s

Yeah, I don't think I will be downloading this from gamershell.  crazy_o.gif

I'm having a feeling that filefront will be better though.

Got the same here, I'm not surprise though.

EDIT: I think I'll wait and see what happens in the moring, might be less traffic then. Hopefull not even more, though Europe wakes up then and that can mean problems with traffic again. confused_o.gif

I got it easily from Filefront after a 20 minute wait in line.

More of the same with prettier graphics. There is so much shooting going on that you can't hear what your squad is saying, most of the time.

i thought the demo was to short, but then again, its only a demo, it didnt add anything new and did feel abit arcady to be honest, hopefully there will be an option to remove the hud (if there is one already ive missed it wink_o.gif :P ) then ill be happy (i hate damage indicators and ammo counters)

i was however disappointed with the first tank that gets blown up, i mean cmon theres guys sitting on it and then bang....and there gone! where? i see no dismebered body parts! i see a rifle or two and thats it, and i think the animations still suck as thye are the ones from the first CoD crazy_o.gif although i must say the new death crawling anims is funny when they crawl for a while and you have to "put them down" per se smile_o.gif

Wildo

This is arcade, their isn't even a health-meter or didn't I see it? You can take like 25 bullets before getting the message "You're hurt take cover" after that you're somehow healed again. huh.gif

that is quite true, i managed to run in a slaughter the lot of thme without even a game over screen crazy_o.gif

Wildo

after giving it a proper go over (admiring the beauty and some ugliness about it), trying the game on Veteran with the crosshairs off is actually.....alot easier than i thought it would be, yes i died a mammoth amount of times, but seeing as it wasd the first game i used without crosshairs i think i did quite well biggrin_o.gif

the games good, however i dont like the destroyed tank models, they suck arse, and look so plauin and boring, and cmon, no ragdoll in this day and age?! jesus, it would be fun to have ragdoll in this with all those explosions and grenades!

i would liked it to have some dismemberment (ala BIA) but none there so that kinda sucks, but no biggy

has anyone noticed when you first get into the town and look to your left there is no desert or anything else between the buildings? :P

some of the running animations suck aswell rather than looking fun, they look....rather gay, as if they were running on mid air, either that or a running machine, i like the dogfights over head aswell, id like some planes to randomly come down and blow up in front creating either a new path or blocking off an area, and id like to remove that sodding hud! but no, no fecking option! mad_o.gif

and tank track animations are bring aswell! they dont even bounce over the terrain or even create a parting in the sand or proper tracks

Wildo

Disappointed , major league disappointement is what i felt.

CoD itself the original one was such a good game for a 'run & gun' styled mil shooter i liked it. It was hollywoodish it was the total opposite of what OFP is to us but it had good graphics and little or no lag and was total fun.

This one however somehow is somehow stuck between the transitions of mdoern day graphics (better lightning and models plus particle system) where it sucks basically. The textures on some of the things are AWEFUL and i do mean AWEFUL , they are blurry as crap i was expecting better. Then the models dont look anything to die for , all that this new lightning and bump mapping crap has done is ruin the games FPS for me , the old CoD ran like a beauty on even my old GF MX440 and CoD2 is lagging on my 6600GT ( mad_o.gif ) , if thats all this crappy new gfx can bring then were better of withut them. It seems everytime someone fires a shot or dust blows up the fps starts stuttering.

Plus they havent added reflection to the water for some reason? The game is a hap hazard of graphical features some added some not and result is poor clearly.

I hope this doesnt means that ArmA will suck this much too since its graphics are upgraded to dx9 as well  huh.gif .

I hope this doesnt means that ArmA will suck this much too since its graphics are upgraded to dx9 as well  huh.gif .

Doubt it, not when its been optimised primarily for the xbox smile_o.gif

Doubt it, not when its been optimised primarily for the xbox  smile_o.gif

CoD 2 is also probably coming to X-Box and X-Box 360?

This is arcade, their isn't even a health-meter or didn't I see it? You can take like 25 bullets before getting the message "You're hurt take cover" after that you're somehow healed again.  huh.gif

2. Health System

The red Damage Direction arrows on your screen are the first indication that you're taking damage. Further signs that your character is close to death include heavy breathing, heart palpitations, and blurred vision. The Call Of Duty® 2 Demo will tell you when this occurs the first five times only. Then it's up to you to find cover as soon as possible if these occur. Doing so will allow your health to return to normal after a brief rest provided you're not taking any more damage.

"Further signs that your character is close to death include heavy breathing, heart palpitations, and blurred vision."

I experienced the same things playing paint ball. After a while, my health would return to normal in paintball, too. Maybe the Nazis are firing paintballs?

I played it and liked it just as much as CoD 1. Has a real cinematic feel, and it's quite atmoshpheric with all the battle chatter and gunfire and smoke and stuff. All the smoke played hell with my framerates, though.

I have a feeling that the missions will remain just as scripted as they were in the original, with these new multiple approaches to the missions used to fool players into thinking that it's open ended, but I'm going to approach this new one like I approached CoD 1: An interactive series of mini World War 2 movies.

I'll probably buy it when the price drops, or borrow it from one of my friends.

Played the demo yesterday, and yeah, it was pretty much like the old one. Again, you "have squadmates covering you" (in other words, you get to do all the dangerous stuff) and Jerries just keep coming. Nice graphics though, it was a "fast" slideshow for me. sad_o.gif

Looking forward to MP though!

huh.gif