Sign in to follow this  
Silent N Deadly

Brother in Arms

This game is great, havent put it down the past few days, the graphics and sounds are by far the best yet and the controlls are really user fiendly, the only "bad" points so far are the fact you can reload the m1 garand halfway through a mag, and the no friendly fire thing.

You can reload a M1 halfway through a clip (it isn't mag mad_o.gif ) in real life but it is really dangerous.

Hope we get a upgrade fix on that weapon. Even Call of Duty developers have figured that out.

I'm definatley going to grab me a copy when it's released on PC in Sweden. I've been looking forward a very long time for this game.

Just the thing that they've replicated the exact geography of Normandy is so bloody cool, especially when you've been there yourself. smile_o.gif

Ditto.I think it's a great game and all, love hiding behind a wall, and there's a machine gun just sprayin everything at you(Another complaint is the unlimited ammuntions the machine guns have...), hearing the bullets smacking into the dirt, the wall, and swoshing by you.

It has some really nicely done scenery too, but sometimes it's overdone and the frames per second drop way down to un-playable... rock.gif

(The mission when you have 2 fireteams, a tank, a lot of trees, grass, and german soldiers.)

I also love the sound effects. smile_o.gif

Word out is that the game looks like po0oo, graphicaly speaking, dont know why the recomended system reqs. are so high really, other than the game being a badly optimised xbox port that is mad_o.gif .

ive only tried it on xbox, and its graphicly the best fps going imho.

annother slightly bad point is if one of your men gets killed in one mission hes back again in the next, should have used some sort of recruit scheme where a team member gains experirence the longer hes alive for through out the campagin, if he dies hes replaced by a rookie whos not as accurate or responsive.

summit like that would of been kool anyway

Word out is that the game looks like po0oo, graphicaly speaking, dont know why the recomended system reqs. are so high really, other than the game being a badly optimised xbox port that is mad_o.gif .

I heard it was made alongside all of the other versions, and that none of them are ports.

It's funny what everyone hears these days, isn't it?

I've looked in the Gearbox forums and they're comparing brick textures in BIA to HL2. That's about it.

Ok, I looked into what Heatseeker said, and it seems taht the only 'poo' graphics are really the textures for walls and ground. Thereh ave been complaints about them being too low res.

But overall I don't think it's much of an issue. If you're an OFP or Combat Mission player, then you'd know graphics come second biggrin_o.gif

If you're an OFP or Combat Mission player, then you'd know graphics come second  biggrin_o.gif

In OFP?

Yes.

In linear tunnel-shooters?

No.

Whats all the fuss about this game anyway?

To me it looks like just another MOHAA-clone with higher sys-reqs and a few shaders rock.gif

To me it looks like just another MOHAA-clone with higher sys-reqs and a few shaders rock.gif

The fact I don't own MOHAA?

I anticipate the multiplayer the most. Me and my brother can fight it out with our own squads and fireteams instead of just the two of us.

As for graphics:

Quote[/b] ] but they're clearly improved over its Xbox version, with support for high resolutions like 1600x1200 and 2048x1536 (widescreen modes like 1280x720 are also available)

Thats screenresolution, not tex-resolution. A game offering atleast 1280x1024 today is a given. I don't see anything special there.

I still dont see what all the fuss is about regarding this game.

To me, Hidden and Dangerous 2 + Sabre Team combination is still the best ww2 tactical shooter around. Probably will be for a long time.

Thats screenresolution, not tex-resolution. A game offering atleast 1280x1024 today is a given. I don't see anything special there.

I still dont see what all the fuss is about regarding this game.

The textures are awfull crazy_o.gif , i think its the name that makes it so popular to some and the gameplay to others, i have read that it plays with flanking manuevers ala FSW instead of quaky mohaa, still looks quite dated to me, yuck crazy_o.gif .

To me, Hidden and Dangerous 2 + Sabre Team combination is still the best ww2 tactical shooter around. Probably will be for a long time.

I don't have Sabre Team, but I agree mostly. There could be alot of improvements in Squad AI, I think. I found it difficult sometimes to use my commando and found it much easier if I just led them myself.

I think my favorite mission was when you had to blow up those ships, but you were disallowed set off the alarm in the bigger boat.

Quote[/b] ]Thats screenresolution, not tex-resolution. A game offering atleast 1280x1024 today is a given. I don't see anything special there.

Meh. If anything I'm sure someone will release a texture-pack. There's already work being done on the Gearbox forums for an HD pack.

Quote[/b] ]I still dont see what all the fuss is about regarding this game.

Should make it your sig  biggrin_o.gif

*edit*

Sorry mods, double post. Forgot to hit ze edit.

Bought it today aaanndd... I'm not impressed (hmm rock.gif )

It felt like your guys was the only people in this war fighting

the germans and the sound wasn't something to brad about either.

Carentan missions was kind of "what the hell.. thats it?!"

And I believe the creators of this game said that you would

really get to know the people in the game, thats not true at all.

I can't remember a single name of that group, still after I

have gone through the game twice.

I will give the game 6/10. I would even say that Call of Duty is better.

Got it yesterday, immensley disappointed, again it feels like a "one man army" FPS with the occasional help from NPCs. The enemy AI is lacking to say the least. sad_o.gif

I don't know what's with all the negative comments, I think it's a fun combination of CoD and FSW. Weapons actually have recoil and are hard to aim with (I have crosshairs and suppression icons disabled) and ramboing will get you killed (playing on Difficult).

It gets off to a really slow start, just CoD/MoHAA business as usual, but when you get to commanding a tank and a team or two teams it's very enjoyable IMO. Sure it isn't 100% realistic but what games are these days? I would call it one of the most realistic games out there, and it sure as hell isn't ugly.

My main complaint about it would be the setting: Please stop with the American paratroopers in Normandy already! Jesus Christ, this is the f*****g 10th game or movie made about the subject, and I'm getting a bit fed up with all the clichés already! All respect to D-day veterans but this is entertainment and enough is enough!

My main complaint about it would be the setting: Please stop with the American paratroopers in Normandy already! Jesus Christ, this is the f*****g 10th game or movie made about the subject, and I'm getting a bit fed up with all the clichés already! All respect to D-day veterans but this is entertainment and enough is enough!

And its not ending I guess, with COD2 and MOH:Europe assualt that will be released in the future. smile_o.gif Playing as the Germans would be nice for a change too.

Quote[/b] ]Got it yesterday, immensley disappointed, again it feels like a "one man army" FPS with the occasional help from NPCs. The enemy AI is lacking to say the least.

One man army? I only didn't use the AI on that last mission and at the church in Carentan. And the NPC need to be commanded otherwise they won't move wink_o.gif But yea the enemy AI is kinda weird they never seem to be retreating or regrouping with other squads they only sit there waiting to be killed rock.gif

I don't know what's with all the negative comments, I think it's a fun combination of CoD and FSW. Weapons actually have recoil and are hard to aim with (I have crosshairs and suppression icons disabled) and ramboing will get you killed (playing on Difficult).

It gets off to a really slow start, just CoD/MoHAA business as usual, but when you get to commanding a tank and a team or two teams it's very enjoyable IMO. Sure it isn't 100% realistic but what games are these days? I would call it one of the most realistic games out there, and it sure as hell isn't ugly.

I agree with Gollum 100%. All these negative comments amaze me, as I have found this much more enjoyable compared to COD or MOH: AA. Having been to Normandy, I can say this game looks a lot more like it than COD or MOH: AA did. I am on Chapter 16 or 17...it is called Push into Carentan. I love commanding the squad and I have found the friendly AI to be superb. I am a bit disappointed with the enemy AI, as it was advertised they would make flanking attempts & such, but they don't really sad_o.gif. The level design is magnificant as well, as even though it is still a tunnel, the game gives alternate routes to complete objectives.

To get the most out of this game, I feel you MUST play WITHOUT crosshairs and suppression icons. It adds a whole new dimension to the game, because with suppression icons you know where enemies are coming from the minute they are visible to you. It is fun getting flanked and trying to flank them back tounge_o.gif.

I would also like to note, having played both the PC and X-Box versions of the game, definately get the PC version. The graphics are a lot better, load times are 5-6x faster, and it is just better in general biggrin_o.gif.

Great game, fun to play.

Wish for better enemy AI, and a better browser for MP. But I have no real problems with it. Start was slow, took awhile to get two teams.

Still like the intro for...dang, can't remember the name. The whole "Superman vs Batman" thing, was pretty funny.

Turned supression indicator off immediatly, and crosshairs seemed to be default off.

Tried multiplayer online, despite Ubi-crap browser. Hate the thing, but about 3/4 games I played seemed to have quite a bit of team work between players. Can get pretty messy, and sometimes its annoying when a player just gets lucky and rambos something. But most of the time a well placed shot fixes him.

Funny how the opinions differ wildly on this game. I for one found BiA to be very disappointing. Sure it's better than MOHAA and CoD, but that's not saying much... I'm quite fed up with the setting and, just as I had feared, the game was oozing with the kind of drama and crap dialogue that just gets me nauseous. Very Hollywood...

Of course, I knew that up front but was hoping that novel bits like squad tactics etc. would make up for it. No such luck. BiA is as much a tunnel-shooter as other games in the WWII genre. The ability to flank is not enough to cover up for it. The weapon models look shite, the textures even worse, and the audio fx aren't very exciting either.

I'll go back to playing Red Orchestra.

I'm about three missions from the end and so far I've found BiA to be a grave dissapointment. A real surprise as I do enjoy the CoD, MoH games.

I won't say I've had no fun with it but the AI and tactical element in it just don't work as they should. Partly the simplicity of the controls which may be designed to be easy for a newcomer to approach but which I just find to crude to give reliable instruction. The number of times I order my guys behind cover and one or more ends up standing out in the open just frustrates.

But also I've lost count of the number of times my attempts to move and flank is halted by a garden gate or a low fence. BiA may not be the only game to use these silly devices but when the design encourages you to move out of the 'corridor' they could surely have done better than this. I don't remember feeling quite so trapped in Full Spectrum Warrior so it can be done.

Am I correct in saying this is another game based on the unreal engine? If so this seems to be fast becoming a big problem for PC gaming as it just seems to have have a hard time with creating arenas of the scale that are required for tactical games. Breaking these games down into too many little maps is too limiting to the design.

Oh, and I hate the speed with which bodies vanish also. Its a little spooky to have a fierce firefight and then find the area suddenly empty when you get there. Kind of like a scene in "Predator". "No blood, no bodies, we hit nothing man."

I agree...

And I have not yet come across any good missions either...

They always start with that one dude mouthing off something, then he runs off (to re-appear mystically behind all enemy positions never firing a shot apparently) and then you take one step forward and all the germans appear...

The monoloques the player character 'gives' at each god damn chapter start are so insanely annoying...

The worst one yet was when all of his squad was slaughtered (and they actually were killed many times earlier) and he started spitting and shouting... uhhhh...

Tactical is not something that comes to mind when playing this...

Many of the missions are designed so that you have only one approach... Sometimes you can see that there would be other routes available but you can't use them because some invisible wall blocks you or the mortar fire magically shifts and grows more intense into that other route whenever you approach it but otherwise it leaves you alone...