Sign in to follow this  
TheLemon

New release date worldwide: Spring 2006?

I thought Christmas 2005 so Im not surprised. I bought OFP: CWC. OFP:RH, OFP:Res and OFP:GotY. I paid money and got some shiney CDs. BIS owe me nothing. Good luck guys - release it when its done.

It would be nice if BIS took a few of the talented community makers and made a new patch with a few of the things the modding community has been asking for and then released a new product similar to Resistance.

That would keep non core BIS people still working on the big money making projects, would give 'amateur modders' vital experience and exposure, the fans would get some new OFP stuff, BIS / Codemasters would get their name exposed to the public and we could all have some new toys to play with.

OFP1:Resistance2

only complaint i have is theres no offical explaination as to why.

as to it not being released til later. i dont mind one bit smile_o.gif

will actualy give me a chance to sit back and enjoy Y2K3 for awhile. worked for 5 months on perfecting it. and now i can finnaly enjoy my work for awhile.

as well as finish up a project list for USCG

for those of you askin "what am i gonna do until then?!" the simple answer is, invest your time into Y2K3 or EECP. both mods enhance the current OFP into what will become known as OFP 1.5 since they ofer upgrades, features, and model/textures not availble 3 years ago. givem both a try, you may go for one or the other, but you will NEVER (want to) go back to the default OFP again wink_o.gif

Just thinking what I'll be doing in Autmn 2006..

Well I'll be 56.. probably have another grandchild, hopefully the software packages I'm making will be selling well, should have a new car.. will have just moved into our new house, my wife and I will have celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary, and My brand new computer will have OFP2 installed..

Keep positive lads.. The wars not over until the white flag is raised, and I don't see BIS raising one yet.. so why should we...

Anyway there will be plenty of new things around in OFP1.. I might even get an addon or two finished by then biggrin_o.gif

BIS isn't trying to be your lifelong friend OR screw you over for the fun of it, stop taking game releases so seriously ffs.

@ a lot of people wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I think Coalescent are opening sales up to everyone this month.

And you know this how? Not to sound condescending or anything, just wondering if you're actually stating fact, or an opinion based on something you've read somewhere.

BIA are very good at keeping us in the loop.

Seventh makes himself available on the forums and via email for answering questions.

He said this on vbsresources.com (might even have been on the pleb forum):

Quote[/b] ]You can expect VBS1 to be available in August in Nth America.

Gawd that's a slap in the face.

Too bad, really. Should have been earlier. Mid 2005 would've been long enough.

Well, as said before, at least it's good to know what we're up to eh ? lol rock.gif

Cheers,

lol !! biggrin_o.gif

I just notice that I have registered in 2002 already for that Editing program which they released a bit later ( Can't remember the name )

I have two posts so far .. now am I a spammer or not ? lol

Cheers

which desert fox are you?

The one I know or the one I dont know?

Guest Ti0n3r

They better give us a new expansion for ofp1 then. if not, then I fear that all Flashpoint fans will comite suicide soon...

Quote[/b] ]which desert fox are you?

The one I know or the one I dont know?

Warning level 1 is not good enough for you huh?  wink_o.gif

I cant remember having seen anywhere that OFP2 was supposed to be released in 2004/2005. I have only seen that it was expected to be released at that time but not a set release date.

I dont really mind waiting until 2006 for OFP2. I think they could have released it early 2005 if they wanted to but as they said there is alot they want to improve in OFP2 that they may not have considdered from the start. I rather wait another year for a better OFP2. Most games that take a year or two to develop arent very good or they completely suck.

I dont understand how poeple can react like this:

BIS hates us!

BIS only cares about money!

BIS betrayed us!

People from BIS come to these forums and post to help people with stuff that they really dont need to and they are always nice. They might not have the time to read every thread in this forum, I dont even read half myself. They are not trying to squise money out of VBS1 because they have said several times that VBS1 is not a game and you should not buy it thinking its a game.

I think I will never quit playing OFP until OFP2 comes. I might take a break or two to play other games but I always seem to come back to OFP because there is no other game like it. OFP2 was never guaranteed to release in 2004/2005, as I understood it it was just an estimated release date that got pushed forward when they realised there was so much more they wanted to do.

If OFP2 is released in 2006 that only gives me more time to make sure I have a good computer when its released. BIS are nice but some people in the community are not. I think people who are upset post more than the people who arent so I think and hope that this thread does not give an accurate idea of how many people are upset and mad at BIS compared to the ones who arent.

OFP2 will probably come in 2006 so wipe your tears, play mods, make mods, make missions and save money for your new computer.

smile_o.gif

I don't need any expansions for this. If they're gonna make us wait another millenium I would like an original working config in cpp format. That's all I ask.

And considering DOOM3 is out which has incredible engine (seen it at work), I seriously doubt that there will be any point in releasing a game which is basically done today. Imagine how industry will progress till 2006. DOOM3 will be a old crap to say the least.

I find a couple of things a little strange.

if I remember correctly, there was a lot of talk about possibly releasing the first screenshots this summer. (Or was it the last summer) We also had several interviews during a relatively short time period. The Ofp2 site was designed and then redesigned, Codemasters launched their own forum, assigned a community liaison officer for ofp2 and even opened an irc channel for ofp2.

Something tells me that their intention was to release it way before 2006. It would be (of pure curiosity) fun to know what really happened.

Oh well, lets all hope for an even better product now. And enjoy Rollercoaster tycoon 3, whilst waiting for ofp2 wink_o.gif

smile_o.gif

Well the fact is we won't know why it's been put back untill they tell us. All I know is we can trust BIS to make the best and most inotive game their skills can produce, and if they've suddenly had a new list of things they want to put in which will take another year, then go for it, in the end it'll just mean a much higher quality product for us to enjoy.

On another note I'm hoping they'll release the mod tools with the initial release on the game CD/CD's so people can dive into importing their ready waiting 3D Max models and so on into the new O2 and get them in game!

It's very simple, they took a look at where the industry was at and decided they would need to do extra work on OFP2. Like I said before, the fact that it's at least a Spring 2006 release date is a good thing because it means they are not just rushing OFP2 out the door to get it on storeshelves.

As for their decision to make OFP Xbox, and whether it was a bad idea or not, we won't know for sure until it's released. If it sells like hotcakes, then BIS makes money, and that's a good thing. They're in the business for money afterall, it's not just some hobby as some of you seem to think. On the otherhand, if OFP Xbox fails miserably, then I think PC users can acknowledge the right to say "I told you so."

Quote[/b] ]Seventh makes himself available on the forums and via email for answering questions.

He said this on vbsresources.com (might even have been on the pleb forum):

Quote[/b] ]  

You can expect VBS1 to be available in August in Nth America.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up.

Well.... I suppose its better to wait maybe another 12 months longer than expected to get a game that we will still be playing in 2008 and beyond (just like were all still playing OFP after 3+ years), rather than them rushing it out and us all having to put up with a pile of poop like the fans of Soldner got.

OFP for the XBox comes out in a couple of months (thats straight from Marek btw), and I for one am looking forward to it. Personally I think it will be huge on the XBox in the way that Rainbow Six 3 was.

Another thing that the extra time will enable is for them to take into consideration and work on the ideas that us OFP vets have suggested. A game that is worked on for a long time will also mean less patches after its release.

Anyway, maybe BIS will bring out an addon like Resistance in the meantime? Heres hoping eh!

Marshal Law

TNT League Owner

http://www.tntleague.com

A few other games published by Codemasters are postponed too, like Wartime Command. Must be the "Ubi" thing. *hopes to God Ubi don't take over*

The impression I was getting from what I was reading was that there wasn't going to be a vast amount of differences visually in the engines of OFP and OFP2.

Looking at the competition, this would have been a bad thing.

Maybe they've decided to make OFP2 prettier?

visually is not the most important thing . id rather see them work on ai and the eventhandlers and such before they start with the graphics.

thats my opinion anyways.

Its done when its done, there will be plenty of other games until then, by the time it comes out i will already be bored of Stalker and Ghost recon2 and its possible expantions and other games, its cool with me smile_o.gif .

No point cussing and swearing at BIS....your not going to speed them up.....so will those people show some maturity and wait patiently for what will possibly be the greatest game of 2006..... smile_o.gif

It's simple: i'm disappointed. The tam-tam @ E3 in 2003 (note: 448 Days ago).......what for? Perhaps it's a joke biggrin_o.gif

This is the end

crazy_o.gif   crazy_o.gif  crazy_o.gif  crazy_o.gif  crazy_o.gif  crazy_o.gif  crazy_o.gif  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif

I have waited so long for OFP2 and now they are taking that joy away  sad_o.gif

I know this will effect the quality of the game which is good ... but 2006 !!?  crazy_o.gif

Thats more then a year from now, you shouldn't have told us about OFP2 so early.

It's a pain but life goes on (Hope I don't get old and die before the release  tounge_o.gif )

PS: Why isn't this released in one of the news forums? Hint hint

PSS: Wrong dates on (late 2004/early 2005) flashpoint2.com (I just want to be a bit evil  ghostface.gif )

Giving a late 2004 / early 2005 release date was their first mistake. They should have known there was no way they could make that deadline, and should have changed it to 2006 once we entered 2004. They don't even have any screen shots yet, and I sincerely doubt it is because they are going to reviel it all at once just before it's ready. They are just simply not far enough in the development process for whatever reason, and that's okay, but you guys shouldn't be surprised when you see people getting upset. When people see a date, the majority will believe it, even though they should better. All you people saying the delay is okay because they get more time to make the game better aren't entirely correct, as they are still just plain making the game. I would bet it isn't more than 50% done yet, probably somewhere between 35% and 45%. Even though 2006 is a much more realistic release date I am still going to bet they won't meet that either, and the game will be released sometime in 2007. You can't expect a game of this magnitude to come out only a few years after the originals release, even though they give you a release date saying so and telling you that it is coming along just fine, yet there being no proof of it coming along at all.

And their second mistake was porting Operation Flashpoint to the X-Box. Not only does this slow down the development time of OFP2 considerably, but it's a waiste of money and recources. Compared to a game like "The Chronicles Of Riddick" OFPs graphics are terrible, and owners of the X-Box, the most graphically capable console system, are not interested in that no matter how great the gameplay. Even with all the updates they are giving to the game for the console it will still not appeal to the average console gamer. Another thing is the limitations of the X-Box. Although the X-Box can handle higher graphics than what OFP offers, it is still confined by stuff like low RAM. OFP won't be OFP without it's large levels and large battles, but consoles can't handle that. So they are going to have to cut back on some things, or find ways around them. And another issue is the X-Box controller, which even though it has the most buttons of any console controller, will never be able to give you the same level of control over your action menu, units, orders, and movement compared to a mouse and keyboard. And OFP needs this control to be OFP.

Well that's the end of my rant, thank you for reading it. If you wish to disguss the contents of my post I would be happy to do so.

If you guys were to read my post, I feel it would answer a lot of your questions and perhaps provoke new ones.

It just seemed like nobody read it sad_o.gif , so if you do read it, tell me if you agree, disagree, or think I'm a jackass . smile_o.gif

time to change the name to OFP2 forever  tounge_o.gif

Operation wait for the point! biggrin_o.gif

2006 isn't too long. When the 2004 release date came out, I was thinking "Bloody hell, that's ages away! The community will have fizzled out by then!"

And here we all are. That's the great thing about niche communities, they may be smaller, but they have a lot more hardcore members.