Sign in to follow this  
hyakushiki

Hyk modern u.s. infantry pack released

a green beret addon has been made and released using BAS' infantry construction kit. I would wait for a better addon, though.

And I hope you never meet a ranger, because he would probably disagree with your opinion on SF. I guess we all agree that the british commandos from WW2 were SF and rangers are just the US commandos. SF doesn't just mean your hiding behind a bush with a two months old beard and wearing a mixture of civilian and worn out BDU clothing  wink_o.gif

I know a Ranger very well and frequently discuss such matters with him. He has never reffered to himself as "Special Forces" and has frequently corrected those whom do. Here in the United States, Special Forces is Army Special Forces, there's no point in even debating it.

I'm a Recondo/LRRP, RL nobody makes any of those units. I work with Rangers, SF, and Delta sometimes the AF PJs out of DMAFB. Most of these units dress like any other damm troop till after 9/11, Other than switching the top shirt to he ones that the bottom pockets are attached to the upper sleeves. That been common since Nam off and on. any grunt after a week in the field is going to be a dirty, nasty, stinky, poor, bastard, you end up getting rid of a lot of the unneeded equipment. Camel backs are private purchase equipment, and _not_ considered part of the uniform. Means unless your in operation it better not be covering your uniform. Most guys now wear them under the top shirt crawling about in the field they tend to get damaged quicker, and being in a hot-zone you can just go to the px and buy another.

That and Camel backs are very difficult to keep from getting moldly often giving the user something nasty cause they didn't keep it clean enough. I like theses for units that are not directly on the front lines. I'm eve more annoyed about the constant moaning about the special trained units, when they will not even operatate like them in the game, the bots will still run into a bullet just like a default BIS AI.. Better looking corpses on the battlefield. The AI can't even dream of doing SRT type ops, or fail miserably at MOUT. You guys got such a big hardon to get theses units make em yourself, I recall HYK grated permission to make units based off them as long as you gave credit.. Go make em yourself and quit demanding he make them, then everyone else can wait for normal troops like we want..

Rangers don't work under SOG, or whatever the phrase is, right?

I thought only groups that worked under them, such as Delta force or the Green Berets, are offically Special forces.

Rangers are Special Operations Forces and so are SEALs, PJ's and several others. The "Green Berets" are the ones offically designated "Special Forces" and they are included in the term Special Operations Forces too.

All these Special Operations Forecs and a detachment from the USMC are under the command of United States Special Operations Command.

You could say that Special Forces is a particular units name (or rather part of it) while the term Special Operations Forces is descriebing a units area of missions.

Would be nice to see the sniper model without the PASGT vest and gasmask bag but still in ALICE gear and with boonie hat. That way it could easily double as a SOF soldier, aka Black Op in CWC, for the 1985 era. smile_o.gif

Dont want to hijack hyks thread but...

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....27;st=0

Taking a little longer than anticipated due to the inclusion of operators in civvie clothes (by popular demand), and the age old problem of the creator (Fugy) having exams.... smile_o.gif

Oh and its extremely good to see Hyk back in action. wink_o.gif

You guys got such a big hardon to get theses units make em yourself, I recall HYK grated permission to make units based off them as long as you gave credit.. Go make em yourself and quit demanding he make them, then everyone else can wait for normal troops like we want..

Please try to make your point in a less inflammatory manner smile_o.gif

Sorry sir, but saying it nicer didn't seem to filter through some of these guys brain housing groups. Who failed to bother really looking for most of the units that have been already made and floating around by the dozens.

I'll be a bit more creative on my comments in a attempt to be less aggressive...

*Please* include a patch system similar to the one BAS used for the Rangers - an init field command that allows us to pick patches for the troops. If you do include this feature, please include these units:

1st Infantry

2nd Infantry

3rd Infantry

4th Infantry

25th Infantry

10th Mountain

1st Cavalry

1st Armored

2nd Armored

82nd Airborne

101st Airborne

173rd Airborne Brigade

It would also be cool if you could include rank insignia - arm for enisted and helmet front for officers - using a similar patch system, but that may be asking for too much wink_o.gif

no the BAS patch system was crappy it never sit flush.

a better way would be to set the whole arm texture to different patches.

but the plane texture thing is really crappy. it is one reason I removed it from the Lost brother infantry

no the BAS patch system was crappy it never sit flush.

a better way would be to set the whole arm texture to different patches.

but the plane texture thing is really crappy. it is one reason I removed it from the Lost brother infantry

I agree with this one. The floating texture is indeed a nightmare when using a custom anim pack (which will make it float in the air or somewhere else). Making the whole arm texture a hiddenselection is not too much work.

If hyk still has the original textures in layered format, this shouldn't be too much work.

AFAIK i'm the only one to previously post a pic of this "bug" but its lost in another thread somewhere so here it is again.The reversed US markings on the water bottle pouch for the Woodland 85 and Desert 91 units..

waterbottles.jpg

ps.I know this is only a minor bug but at least its on the HYK topic.. tounge_o.gif

Well, ok, forget about the SF.

But still, i would really like to see backpack versions on both the 1991, and 2003 period soldiers. And about every time the news is about iraq, i see camelbaks, so they do carry them.

Will you be updating the pack to include the uniforms which will replace the BDUs for each service? Specifically, I'm looking for the Army Combat Uniform (ACU).

somehow I missed HYK's return. The picture is broken, but I am dying to see the new units-anyone got a pic to post?

Nice-only a few recommendations:

I believe the kneepads are worn underneath the clothing in cold weather gear, like so:

snowsld.gif

intel_rifleman_3.gif

Also, colors need to be altered a little bit in hue and lightness, especially the green:

atbduwl.jpg

http://www.henrikc.dk/camouflage/details.asp?autono=37

By the way, thats a great site for camo reference. Overall, I am looking forward to your next release. We have needed some new winter soldiers for quite some time.

I believe the kneepads are worn underneath the clothing in cold weather gear, like so:

http://www.usarak.army.mil/images/snowsld.gif

http://www.americasarmy.com/images/intel_rifleman_3.gif

Also, colors need to be altered a little bit in hue and lightness, especially the green:

http://www.tokyohobby.net/shop/images/atbduwl.jpg

By the way, thats a great site for camo reference. Overall, I am looking forward to your next release. We have needed some new winter soldiers for quite some time.

That link you provided is totaly rong what your showing is the ERDl camo used befor woodland its the same pattern just with other colors and a larger pattern size.

STGN

err... crazy_o.gif oops. But if you look around the site I believe woodland is somewhere in there...I think the green needs to be a bit brighter than it currently is.

That link you provided is totaly rong what your showing is the ERDl camo used befor woodland its the same pattern just with other colors and a larger pattern size.

STGN

rock.gif nope, YOU are wrong smile_o.gif

The EDRL camouflage had a smaller pattern than the M82 woodland. The picture is of an M82 woodland bdu.

But the pattern fades a lot when worn and that causes the different colours. When you see a platoon of soldiers, they all look different. And it get's even worse since the colours on parka's seem to be darker and on some other gear the sand colour look a bit green ect ect.

There is no perfect solution to make this in OFP. Hyk tweaked the textures so they blend in on Nogova terrain. I'm happy with the result.

Yeah, bright green BDU's are only like that whent hey are new. I saw one soldier in my unit that had badly faded BDU's that were a bluish-green tint. Apparently he had put bleach or something on them, but nevertheless it was an intresting faded color of Army BDUs that I had never seen before. LOL

They would have made good naval BDU's. LOL

As for whether the kneepads are worn inside or outside, yeah I would imagine that it would be up to a unit's SOP (standard operating procedure) as I could see some soldiers not wanting to tear up there snow cammo covers from hitting the ground hard on their knees and so would want the knee pads over them. So really I think that whether or not the knee pads go inside or outside is a moot issue. Either way I think is fine.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

actual one poitn on fading of bdu's

it depends on the fabric used. their are 3 types

twill, ripstop, and enhanced ripstop.

twill fades slowly and is pretty strong but heavy and very hot and itchy

ripstop fades quickly after a few washes and is strong but does rip easly after awhile it cool and breaths

enhanced ripstop fades very slowly, is strong and warm but cool breathes easly too.

then there is like grotex but that is for Extreme cold weather..

it is very warm and very strong but used only as an over suite over normal bdu's then over that goes the very very thin over whites for camo effect. those over whites are veyr thin and made from nylon if i remember right. but they are very strong and can take alot of abuse.

STGN

rock.gif nope, YOU are wrong  smile_o.gif

The EDRL camouflage had a smaller pattern than the M82 woodland. The picture is of an M82 woodland bdu.

But the pattern fades a lot when worn and that causes the different colours. When you see a platoon of soldiers, they all look different. And it get's even worse since the colours on parka's seem to be darker and on some other gear the sand colour look a bit green ect ect.

There is no perfect solution to make this in OFP. Hyk tweaked the textures so they blend in on Nogova terrain. I'm happy with the result.

Have you gone blind on your old days that is the later version of ERDL not M81 woodland if you see the link its also says that this uniform was replaced by the BDU(M81 woodland) and it has also say its very close to ERDL "brown".

this is the M81 woodland in 100% cotton

M81 woodland

today some places replaced by the 50% cotton 50% nylon M81 woodland which is a bit different in the colours more matt as you know.

STGN

@STGN;

-YES; the pattern in the LINK is indeed late ERDL

-NO; the pattern shown in the PICTURE is current woodland.

I was refering to the picture, not the link. You probably pointed to the link, but I thought you talked about the picture.

Little misunderstanding.

Ang no, I have not gone blind. A little less flaming would be nice. But since you're only 18 I guess you don't know any better, so I'll forget about it wink_o.gif