hyakushiki

Hyk modern u.s. infantry pack released

As far as Marine Corps organization of a squad:

FIRETEAM

FTLDR M16A4/A2 with M203 40mm

Auto Rifleman M249 SAW

Assistant Auto Rifleman M16A4/A2

Rifleman M16A4/A2

And then to a squad, which is 3 fireteams and 1 SQDLDR, making 13 people.

Then you get into company, 3 normal squads, 1 heavy weaps squad, and 3 command people, including an admin officer.

This is a really nice surprise. Not only are these some of the most requested and needed units for OFP, but the quality of them is incredible! Many thanks to Hyakushiki. I agree that it would be better if they came equipped with Earl's weapons by default. Hopefully someone will release a reconfigured config version to address this issue. As others have said Earl hasn't made an M16A2/M203 unfortunately, but I remember there being a good one in SJB's old unit pack. Don't think it was JAM'med though.

Anyway, great work Hyakushiki. smile_o.gif Please keep it up. wink_o.gif

excuse me? compliments BAS's pack? LOL. I'd say its the other way around.... wink_o.gif the tables have turned...

as much as i like this pack, I will disagree.

the woodland cammo pattern is too small. It looks like the older pattern that was used before the current woodland. There is too much of the black pattern in it as well.

The seams and stitching patterns in the clothing do not match current issue bdus. The lighting and wrinkle effects on all of the clothing is not well done, there is not enough contrast to it to make it believable. It looks like dirty smudges instead of actual folds and wrinkles in the clothing.

For the current tri color desert cammo. The dark parts of the pattern are too orange. In RL they are a deep reddish brown, and when faded tend to turn redish brown, not orange. Since the darker grey/green areas are non existent, I would assume that the colors are sun faded or faded from washing since I'm sure in the tga to pac conversion the colors were shifted, but they are not correct. Also they are too narrow. They feel like really thin strips of orange color, not represenative of RL cammo.

Also collars on the uniforms seem non-existant.

Also back to clothing. When bdus are made, everytime a piece of cloth is sewn on, the pattern is disrupted. The pattern would not flow evenly from the front of the leg, over the cargo pocket and then to the back of the leg. These texture just don't show the attention to detail such as this. There are various parts to the bdus that are not represented.

Details I know, nit picky yes, but they are not as perfect as you all would suggest. I like them and will use them, but before you state that these are the "best units ever" you need to see that they are most definately not perfect, and that the attention to detail is just not there overall.

I'm looking at some M81s right now, they're well kept, because they're mine, and they've gone through some years. One thing, too light. Another (AND THIS APPLIES TO BAS), there's not enough brown and tan. I dunno what you guys think, but the M81s are made up of several layers

Under Layer

Totally divided into Brown and Green.

Upper Layer

Splotched with Black and Tan.

Very good, and these soldiers do indeed compliment BAS's work very well. Now I can launch Ranger raids together with supporting regular infantry, opens up for interesting scenarios inedeed!

I have been playing with these lads for a while and all I can say is excellent work! I hope to see this pack updated with new weapons et. cetera. As said, good job!

EDIT: Is it only me getting frequent CTD's WITHOUT any error messages when running these units with FDFMOD?

The M240 is a platoon level weapon while the M249 is a squad level weapon (hence the name SAW or Squad Automatic Weapon) with one SAW per squad.

@ Miles: Um... there's one SAW per fire team (2 per squad).  wink_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

@ reconmerc: Earl made an M-16A2 I think. I know one was released with the "Current Conflict" beta Marine, and I thought it made it into the Marine pack too.

Sorry, I was thinking along the lines of my old engineer unit's structure (Combat, Heavy engineer unit).   With us it was one SAW per squad.  However I believe in an infantry squad only the support team has two SAWs.   But I may be mistaken.

From what I've seen different types of US Army units have different squad structures when it comes to how they implement weaponry.   Also in actual practice, these squad formations are changed according to the needs of the mission. For example convoy operations may require a different structure for which squads or mixes of squads are on which vehicles so that firepower is distributed amongst the convoy in an effective manner.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I'm looking at some M81s right now, they're well kept, because they're mine, and they've gone through some years. One thing, too light. Another (AND THIS APPLIES TO BAS), there's not enough brown and tan. I dunno what you guys think, but the M81s are made up of several layers

Under Layer

Totally divided into Brown and Green.

Upper Layer

Splotched with Black and Tan.

Copy and paste these into a new window.

www.geocities.com/eczerwonka/legs.jpg

www.geocities.com/eczerwonka/arms.jpg

www.geocities.com/eczerwonka/vests.jpg

Some examples I made at one point with my and suchy's textures.

I think there is a perfect balance of color, but it will be looked at.

i think these units are great, just need a bit of detail looked at.

Plus i'm suprised people have not complained aout lag as they use hi res all around.

@Miles:

The standard light infantry squad has one squad leader with an M-16A2, and two fire teams, each with:

fire team leader with M-16A2.

autorifleman with SAW.

grenadier with M16A2/M203.

rifleman with M16A2 (and usually AT4 or extra SAW/240B ammo)

9 men total.

AFAIK, this doesn't change, even on convoy duty. It's not like units keep a pool of unused weapons for use by whomever. If a unit is at full strength, which I admit is rare, there will be no extra units. Sure, there might be some unique modified TO&Es out there that authorize different weapons, but this is rare and usually restricted to specialized units like the 82nd and Rangers who also get M-4s and various other modified weapons.

The only way there would be a different weapon mix on a mission is if the infantry squad is attached to a support unit with it's own SAWs and M203s. In that case, the infantry would probably switch out their M-16s for the SAWs and 203s, because they will no doubt be better with them than the support guys, who won't have as much experience with weapons. Naturally, you'd want your most lethal weapons in the hand of those who can use them most lethally. smile_o.gif

I know that when I went to JRTC, my squad was attached to an aviation unit who had lots of heavy weapons (.50cals, M60s, SAWs, etc) and they actively encouraged us to use those weapons instead of our M-16s. Since we were Humvee mobile most of the time, the added weight wasn't an issue, so the nine of us ran around with 4 SAWs, 2 M203s, 2 M60s, a .50cal on the cargo bed of the Humvee and just one vanilla M-16A2. It wasn't a suprise that our squad had a really high kill ratio (something like 2 deaths for every one kill, which at JRTC is a pretty good score).

very nice addon! i've been away from OpF for some time now and I see that there are plenty of goodies waiting for me biggrin_o.gif

*goes off to download some more*

earls weapons could be used and just keep the default 203 that the addon came with...

earls weapons could be used and just keep the default 203 that the addon came with...

The M16's would look very mismatched and wrong, they look completely different.

Quick comparison of U.S camos. wink_o.gif

desamericans.jpg

woodamericans.jpg

IMO the best for wood is Marpat and Hyk for desert. The BAS camos look too bright in both cases, I actually put a desert Ranger on Winter Nogojev and he fit pretty well. wow_o.gif That's not to say the Hyk woodland is also much too bright.

Those three addons are all still soo great. biggrin_o.gif

btw those pics aren't working ebud. sad_o.gif

wow, great comparison pics.

They all look little different, but even then, they all seem to fit well together.

Gollum, do you have a hi res version of those?

this makes life so much better returning from school after a shitty day and these are released.... hmm dunno about the JAM stuff tho.. ill just make some squads with Suchey's M4 (FULL AUTO THAT IS!) and some carrying the M16A2, maybe the squad leader will have an A4. AT weapons, i guess im stuck using the JAM At4. its at 91% Nogova is being invaded this time to clear out rebel forces that means East and Resistance. oh yea Blackhawks, Abrams, and those shitty BIS Ah-64's are on the move.

those shitty BIS Ah-64's are on the move.

Speaking of which, BOH mentioned when they released their vehicle/unit pack that they would also be releasing a standalone version of the AH-64D in US Army colours. Is this still in the pipeline Hyakushiki? I would love to see a Longbow with realistic config and various loudouts in OFP. smile_o.gif

Those us army guys sure look great. Especially the PASGT helmet is ace. It looks very good!

I have some suggestions though that go in line with those posted by ebud before:

--1.--

First off, I would suggest to group the soldiers differently. I would create 6 groups total: eighties, nineties and early 21st; each having a woodland and a desert subgroup.

From the current release, I would take the '85 woodland for "woodland eighties", the '91 desert for "desert eighties" and both the '03 desert and woodland for "early 21st".

To fill the gaps I would suggest to then create some additional models with vietnam style steel helmet, woodland bdu and maybe with olivdrab (like the '85 webbing) flak jacket. Some skin variations should include only parts with eighty-style woodland and 6-color desert colors, while other parts are still the old green camo clothing. Just make sure that both steel helmet and kevlar helmet always feature woodland pattern. With such combinations alongside the all woodland and desert eighties style soldiers in the current release, you would have some very excellent eighties soldiers. Equipment wise, I'd remove the dust goggles from the eighties woodland soldiers and none of them should have a clamp to attach a night vision goggle on the helmet. The ones you just released look a lot like late eighties soldiers and the suggested alternative things would make allow for early-mid eighty soldiers like they would appear in a '85 scenario.

For the nineties soldiers there should also be variation between several different camo patterns. All soldier models should be equipt like your eighties soldier model with new helmet, but you should change the oldstyle flashlight to another grenade pouch. Furthermore the olive/brown webbing should be mostly replaced by some more green'ish webbing with ALICE2 gear. The woodland subgroup should consist of a few eighties woodland pattern textured bdus but mostly the newer style (minor differences) woodland pattern would be the better choice. Night vision clamps should be available for around half the members of a squad. Preferably squad leaders and machinegunners/automatic rifleman. I would then really give this equipment to those soldiers having a visible clamp. Only special forces like airborne and rangers all have night vision devices in a squad. Eighties desert should be a mix of chocolate chips pattern and newer 3-tone desert to allow both desert storm and black hawk down scenarios with this group. I'd also make some crossovers where a soldier has a newer style desert bdu but still wears an old-style chocolate chip flak jacket or helmet cover. Furthermore some woodland parts clothing here and there could give a nice touch. Afterall these ain't special forces and thus won't receive the newest stuff once it is fielded.

The last main group, the early 21st century soldiers should differ a lot from both eighties and nineties style. The woodland soldiers all should get the newer style woodland bdu. Like with the current release they are wearing the new body armour instead of the flak jacket. Still only half of the soldiers in a squad should get clamps for night vision goggles. The desert subgroup should consist of 3-tone desert bdus, mixed with some rare appearance of some woodland bdu parts (although I would suggest to make them look sandy/dusty). The body armour is only available in woodland, thus no desert version.

--2.--

The soldiers' equipment and weapons should also be made slightly different at some points. I don't know what your plans are weapon wise, like if you plan to make these soldiers require the BAS rangers addon, etc.. I would suggest to make them not only require JAM but completely base their weapons on what BAS might release in the near future. Especially for the 21st century soldiers this would be very very useful.

Again I start with the eighties. There should be soldiers with M16A1 (30round mag) and M16A2 assault rifles, machinegunners should have the M60 and grenadiers should have the M16A1+M203 or M16A2+M203. The sidearm should be the Colt1911 for officers and others not the Beretta. Anti Armour should be the LAW (and if available the M47dragon). I'd suggest to have several groups depending on whether they are early or late eighties. For early eighties, I'd go with M16A1 for rifleman and either M16A1 or M60 as SAW, while mid- to late-eighties should have M16A2 with M249 (early version) as SAW. I would even go so far and ignore the OFP CarlGustav as it is working completly different in OFP than in real life, and because US Army forces do not use this weapon. Only rangers do have a few and those were bought in the early nineties. Snipers should only have access to the M21.

The nineties soldiers should have more variety, weapons wise. There should be soldiers with M16A2 mainly, but machinegunners could have anything from M60 to M230. The SAW would always be a M249, however this could either be an older one or one with PIP design. AT would be some LAWs but mainly AT4. Again the M47dragon would be heavy AT. Snipers should either get the M21 or M24.

The early 21 century soldiers would have all the weapons from the nineties but there should also be some M16A4 (with mounted scopes) and M16A4+M203 (also with scope) available. When grouping soldiers, a few should have those newer weapons but most ordinary rifleman still only got the M16A2. Weapons like the M4A1 with all the goodies are again special forces only, making them limited to airborne and rangers mainly. There are still some few M60 used as machineguns, however the majority of the MMGs should be replaced by the M230. The most common SAW should be the PIP version, with some very few coming with mounted scopes. Some few M230s' should have mounted scopes as well. AT would be the AT4 and heavy AT would mainly be the Javelin with some few M47dragon remaining in service. The sniper rifle of choice should only be the M24, while M14 aimpoint or M21 rifles are only used by special forces to some extent.

--3.--

I would really love to see the option to define custom armpatches and markings on helmets in a future release. You could then use the eighties and nineties soldiers as airborne and ranger units as well. For 21 century Airborne and Rangers, the BAS units are the best choice as they have the airborne chinstraps and some more custom webbing for example.

--4.--

Some few general model changes I'd suggest, would be a helmet for the officer model with the helmet attached to the webbing somewhere. The cap should get some rework as it looks kinda strange. Maybe some small realignment can do magic there. The gasmask should be a hidden selection so you could define if the model has the gasmask pouch visible and on another step you could even make a visible/hidden gasmask model on the head. For the officer model, the hidden selection stuff might also work to define whether the helmet is on or not, thus saving some space.

In fact, I'd really like to see some more variation there. For example a medic with cap and firstaidkit, an engineer with some visible bags for ordnance, a machinegunner with ammo belts and an automatic rifleman with ammo pouches for the SAW. I'd also like to see those knee-protectors to be a real model and not just a texture.

It would also be nice to have a rucksack model (like in Finmod) that can be given to soldiers not carrying a machinegun or AT-weapon.

-----

Ah well, I could keep talking for hours, but I want to make a stop here. The models are really really nice and I hope that at least a few of my suggestions will make it into the next version. wink_o.gif

@Miles:

The standard light infantry squad has one squad leader with an M-16A2, and two fire teams, each with:

fire team leader with M-16A2.

autorifleman with SAW.

grenadier with M16A2/M203.

rifleman with M16A2 (and usually AT4 or extra SAW/240B ammo)

9 men total.

AFAIK, this doesn't change, even on convoy duty. It's not like units keep a pool of unused weapons for use by whomever. If a unit is at full strength, which I admit is rare, there will be no extra units. Sure, there might be some unique modified TO&Es out there that authorize different weapons, but this is rare and usually restricted to specialized units like the 82nd and Rangers who also get M-4s and various other modified weapons.

The only way there would be a different weapon mix on a mission is if the infantry squad is attached to a support unit with it's own SAWs and M203s. In that case, the infantry would probably switch out their M-16s for the SAWs and 203s, because they will no doubt be better with them than the support guys, who won't have as much experience with weapons. Naturally, you'd want your most lethal weapons in the hand of those who can use them most lethally. smile_o.gif

I know that when I went to JRTC, my squad was attached to an aviation unit who had lots of heavy weapons (.50cals, M60s, SAWs, etc) and they actively encouraged us to use those weapons instead of our M-16s. Since we were Humvee mobile most of the time, the added weight wasn't an issue, so the nine of us ran around with 4 SAWs, 2 M203s, 2 M60s, a .50cal on the cargo bed of the Humvee and just one vanilla M-16A2. It wasn't a suprise that our squad had a really high kill ratio (something like 2 deaths for every one kill, which at JRTC is a pretty good score).

Are you serious? Those AF guys must have sucked cuz I know there is no way in hell that my unit would trade its heavy weapons over to infantry guys except for perhaps the really heavy stuff like the .50 cal and Mk-19 that you have to be alot more careful with (especially in an urban enviornment). But there is no way on earth I would have given up my M249 SAW unless I got a direct order to do so. I generally scored expert on it and I was very accurate using tracer fire as well.

Anyhoo... back to these addons, these guys rock with Earl and Sucheys weapons and personally for missions I'll be configuring them with just one SAW and one M240 along with one AT-4. The rest will be an assortment of M4's and one M203.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Is anyone here skilled with configs? I tried doing it myself but the JAM configs and the HYK configs are way too complicated for me...

What I want to do*-

Have Earls weapons on these lads without sacrificing JAM-compability (M16A2 on regular soldiers, M16A4/w m203 on the grenadiers, M4 on the officers teamleaders. This ofcourse in the 03 folders) and also replacing the machinegunner in the 91/03 "folders" to one with an M249 instead of an M60. And adding a new machinegunner class with the M249 to the 85' "folder". Also perhaps adding a new soldier unit in the 03 folder equipped with an M4.

Would appriciate any help regarding these matters smile_o.gif

*For personal use ONLY.

they are really great additions to OFP, and like anyone that strives for realism a few things that could be changed....

1) American flag on right shoulder should be reverse field(look at current regulations)

2) Unit patches are too low on the left shoulder.

3) One weapon that nobody has done to my knowledge is the M-16A4, which is in most infantry BN's now

4) All M-16/M-4 weapons systems have Aimpoint M68's

5) All M240B have the M145 machine gun optic

good job guys, I appreciate the soldiers

3) One weapon that nobody has done to my knowledge is the M-16A4, which is in most infantry BN's now

Not used Earl and Sucheys Marpat Marines have you? wink_o.gif