Sign in to follow this  
MAA

Csla 2

I heartly agree Bobby, even looking at the recent DKM Challenger 2 thread, people have instantly pounced on it and started bitching about it.

Before I wander too far off topic, I just have to say that the comment I agree with the most is:

Quote[/b] ]OFP community is community with no respect to others work

That couldn't be more true, and to be honest I think its the saddest part of the whole game. sad_o.gif

(look out for a topic along these lines in the OT forums, if I ever get round to posting it crazy_o.gif )

I know I had asked about using the weapons with Edges resistance units...but this was only because I liked the weapons so much and they would fit so well.

So, some of us want to rip things out for good reasons, not bad.

biggrin_o.gif

EDIT: I cant stop playing with CSLA 2, I think its great!  smile_o.gif

EDIT #2: DeadMeat, people can also get tired of mod makers complaining as well you know. I see this just as non stop as the low brows doing it.

@CSLA guys

First I want to say I do repect you work very much. This mod is one of the stars on the OFP sky.

Still I do understand why people want to "tear appart" your mod. I do sometimes - while mission editing - sit there and think of how great it would be to use you vehicles and stuff in different enviroments. Like some of you armoured vehicles would fit into vietnam scenarios. And there's the prob I have with total coversion mods. They don't mix with each other and they're incompatible with other Addons usually. Like when you want to use BAS Rangers with FDF Mod you end up having super sniping BAS Rangers agains FDF guys having huge recoil. This is not a critic on any mod or addon maker. I think It's more a problem (or a feature - depends on what you want) of the "MOD-concept" that BIS has implemented.

Another thing is that when new versions of already existing vehicles are made you really would like to see them in standart OFP (maybe replacing the original vehicles). Because it feels somhow strange when you have beatiful BAS Blackhawks flying and then there is this ugly BIS Mi-17 and you know you have a much better Mi-17 on your harddisc but you can't use it wothout loading the whole mod.

In the end I enjoy playing your mod and the campaign is good too. I love the voice acting. Hearing some czech again after a long time is good for my language skills ;)

But I think it's easily understandable why people have an itch to "rip your mod". They don't mean it in a ngeative way.

EDIT #2: DeadMeat, people can also get tired of mod makers complaining as well you know. I see this just as non stop as the low brows doing it.

The way I see it, OFP is a GAME, thats the key element to remember.

We [the addon makers] give up our time, which could be spent doing other things possibly more constructive things, but we don't we spend our time making stuff for ofp.

Over time, the quality of the addons has got better, as has the expectations of the users. But one thing ha crept into the scenario, and thats the fact that the users EXPECT the makers to deliver addons to them on a regular basis, and of continual high quality. Take Earl and Sucheys Marines for example, they had been out for a matter of DAYS and people were allready asking "whats next", "when can we expect this" and so on. Or when I released the MH-47, the VERY 1st post was and I quote: "Great sounds cool any idea when 1.1 will be released?", then people started crawling over each other trying to be the first to report bugs. Or when I released the Kiowas, we got the same: "But I was really waiting for the MH-60L and the Seals" and: "these R nice choppers in all.. but for pete's sake release the darn Mh-60's"

Also, more on topic to the post I'm quoting, recently we've been inundated with emails asking "When are the SEALs out", "when is the Desert pack out" etc. The EXPECTATION that we will actually release these addons (don't read too much into that) has materialised out of thin air, and is, I believe, what causes 99% of the "friction" between the addon makers and the users. The other fundamental issue here, is that 99, if not 100% of people who post the "when is this out?" replies have no clue how hard it is to do this.

We only post replies (like this one) to try and dispell the mystery that surrounds the rumours or the incorrect perceptions of things, or the plain lack of RTFM.

I'm not, Bobby isn't, infact I don't think anyone is asking for miricals, just a tiny shred of respect, common decency, and to read the damn manual/search for the topic before posting pointless, and repetative comments.

Still I do understand why people want to "tear appart" your mod. I  do sometimes - while mission editing - sit there and think of how great it would be to use you vehicles and stuff in different enviroments. Like some of you armoured vehicles would fit into vietnam scenarios. And there's the prob I have with total coversion mods.

Ask for permission to mod them, retexture and reconfig them to fit a vietnam mission, release it. Done! Allot of people want stuff but it never dawns on them they could actually make it themselves.

Be sure that 99% of your addon user are more than respectful of your work.

The vocal 1% left you can't make dissapear. They will be there.

Be sure that 99% of your addon user are more than respectful of your work.

The vocal 1% left you can't make dissapear. They will be there.

Well said, I am sure the major part of the community cherises your work dearly and respects your efforts very much. Some just want new things to do what they want to do ingame, and some even seem to demand them. I might be like that at times, but I hope it is not too noticeable...

How about you guys take the community discussion to the thread deadmeat just started on offtopic forum? wink_o.gif

icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif Not had too much time for OFP lately sad_o.gif but sooooo glad I took the time to download your new mod.

That intro has to be one of the most entertaining hours worth of gaming I've ever spent ( though Im probably more a fan these days of OFP's cutscene abilities than actually playing missions smile_o.gif ) and full of some really cool innovative original ideas.

10 Standing Ovations all round!!! ( 1 more than Blair got in the US tounge_o.gif )

Thanks for every second of those 21 months. smile_o.gif

Still I do understand why people want to "tear appart" your mod. I do sometimes - while mission editing - sit there and think of how great it would be to use you vehicles and stuff in different enviroments. Like some of you armoured vehicles would fit into vietnam scenarios. And there's the prob I have with total coversion mods.

Ask for permission to mod them, retexture and reconfig them to fit a vietnam mission, release it. Done! Allot of people want stuff but it never dawns on them they could actually make it themselves.

you missed my point... ;)

Quote[/b] ]But I think it's easily understandable why people have an itch to "rip your mod". They don't mean it in a ngeative way

That's right. I hope you didn't get me wrong when I asked how to depbo your files. I do not want to destroy your work, which is a outstanding one. Neither I want to "rob" anything for my personal 15 Minutes fame.

I think the main reason why people ask for single parts out of your mod is just because they love the aircrafts, the vehicles etc. and would like to use them in their missions or enhance their OFP with it (for example, your beautiful BMPs for the CWC campaign). Everybody loves what you did (at least I do) and isn't it a compliment for you that people cannot resist to use your Addons all the time?

See, there are several people who have problems with such huge files who may just want to have your great HINDs or HIPs. Some may not want to play any campaigns at all and just like to put these vehicles in their missions. I don't think that it's always lack of respect... it's addiction to your Addons. smile_o.gif

Don't rip my head off. I really love what you have done. It's awesome and you have taken OFP a big step forward. But an enclosed MOD has some disadvantages.

It's awesome and you have taken OFP a big step forward.

For me your's mod looks like another - much beter game

I don't think that it's always lack of respect... it's addiction to your Addons. smile_o.gif

Well said, Hjaldar.

I think its a matter of repeat playability and creativity/imagination. After playing a campain and missions after a few times, we inevitably go straight to the mission editor and start letting our imagination run wild. With the CSLAII units being top notch, how can anyone not want to utilize them in their own Missions? OFP is our own little "What if...?" world, what if we take armor from CSLA, mix with infantry from SDOC/UCE and hold a village against FDF troops?

The idea of a total immersion mod is great when you play the missions/campaign that came from the mod itself, but at some point, everyone wants to play what if, and move outside those constraints. When you have so many excelent mods from so many era's and nations, you can't help but want to explore each facet that your imagination comes to. Plus when certain mods have such ingenious things like FDF's UAVs, you find yourself wanting to use them across the board.

Also I too have gone into some of the great old missions and replaced some of the units with some of the more modern ones. Afterall, we know what happens when you have LAW soldiers vs BMP-1's, but what about BAS rangers w/AT-4's vs DKM's BMP-3s?

I am a huge fan of DKM's APC Pack, and I can't help but wish I could use your addon's right along side theirs, not as a knock against all that your mod has accomplished, but more because your units are so very top notch, I'd like to let my imagination run wild long after playing your campaign.

Very well said Mountain. I think that sums up the argument for a separate release really well. If the CSLA team don't want to do it that's fair enough, but it's good to present a clear case before they make a decision. smile_o.gif

I think its a matter of repeat playability and creativity/imagination. After playing a campain and missions after a few times, we inevitably go straight to the mission editor and start letting our imagination run wild. With the CSLAII units being top notch, how can anyone not want to utilize them in their own Missions? OFP is our own little "What if...?" world, what if we take armor from CSLA, mix with infantry from SDOC/UCE and hold a village against FDF troops?

The idea of a total immersion mod is great when you play the missions/campaign that came from the mod itself, but at some point, everyone wants to play what if, and move outside those constraints. When you have so many excelent mods from so many era's and nations, you can't help but want to explore each facet that your imagination comes to. Plus when certain mods have such ingenious things like FDF's UAVs, you find yourself wanting to use them across the board.

Also I too have gone into some of the great old missions and replaced some of the units with some of the more modern ones. Afterall, we know what happens when you have LAW soldiers vs BMP-1's, but what about BAS rangers w/AT-4's vs DKM's BMP-3s?

I am a huge fan of DKM's APC Pack, and I can't help but wish I could use your addon's right along side theirs, not as a knock against all that your mod has accomplished, but more because your units are so very top notch, I'd like to let my imagination run wild long after playing your campaign.

Thats why I think ECP would be great thing added to CSLA, it could be used as a kind of central hub for mods to build off of so you have a more universal config and compatablilty w/ each other. Then mods like FDF, CSLA, and others can work on being a replacement mod and ECP can handle the configs and effects. Plus ECP is open source so if I mod wanted to edit things they could do so and either send it to the ECP team to add officialy or release their own "version" of it to use w/ their mod and if you dont want to use that config then you dont have to.

I'm not wanting to rip or steal your models or whatever(how many people actually do that anyways). I just dont like having to run the config to see the pretty models when and stuck with the recoils and the strange names of weapons in vehicles.

You guys don't seem to have a hard time finding the hidden gun on Attempt on the governor campaign mission. It should be somewhere around 30meters way off the area. But I couldn't find even something like a barrel. Any help?

First, Thx to CSLA team for making great mod.

but this campaign is too hard for me, so I used cheat code

once. then when I choose "retry" from game over menu, suddenly back to windows. Do you have any good way of

solving this probrem? Yeah, I know It's the best way is shouldn't use "end mission" but Maybe I cannot complete this

campaign without it. sad_o.gif

Any chance for uprading the first CSLA campaing to use with this mod?

To Status_cz

From my point of view you are right, csla models are yours. But do you (and everybody) really ask BIS permition to use OFP models, to edit their binarized models? Why people need to ask permition from your MOD to do the same thing you did?

Just my opinion.

What if somebody make ODOL-to-MLOD converter? Which models we can't use?

an odol to mlod converter does exist but its kept under tight security by certain people who will remain nameless, and is only used to access bis models not 3d party ones.

I know about P3Dedit and it's use, I mean make converter for all. Sooner or later it will be done.

If you look better you will see that now CSLA use MANY modified BIS models. As MAA write they want to make their own, but it will take time...

Ok, I want to argue some of you arguments.

First of all excuses that somebody wants to use it with other mods are irrelevant, because we offered (and still offerring) our addons to mods and consistent addon packs, which will would ask for them. At the moment we cooperate this way with two mods. They will receive our stuff. If some Vietnam mod or addon pack will ask we would provide them with the addon. If not, we can release it. (riping is better, I know)

Secondly - If needed we are able to release Russian or Civil CSLA pack very quickly. All depends on demand. This pack can be configured that way to replace old BIS units. It will be less bugged and conflicted than riping it out. It is not for our fame, but for enduser/player comfort. Only one version easy to find and use with new missions.

Thirdly - If somebody say that he want to try how CSLA units will react with other units, I would reply: WRONGLY. If you rip unit out of the mod it will have totally different balance of settings than rest of the units. Units are set to work in balance with other units in mod. Outside of the mod they would became unrealisticly superior or inferior. Because of that separate unit could be set only with relation to BIS settings. See above mentioned part 2.

Fouthly - Peter 13, you should not use ANY model/textures without authors permission smile_o.gif this is the right way.