Sign in to follow this  
SKULLS_Viper

Call of duty demo out!

It's very nice. But it is sad that there is no blood. Don't get me wrong here I am not a blood freak craving gore effects like in SOF2 or other such games. I just want wound textures and a little blood seeping out of whoever got shot. And then there are the medkits. Wich I am tired to death of. Overall a very good game, judging from the demo that is. Very hectic battles and better AI than I suspected. On the enemies side that is. Your buddies are much like in MOHAA quite incapacitated. Although they are a bit better than in MOHAA. I'd give it a 7/10, but if the developers would have put in a little gore in the game. And replaced the health repleneshing system with something more entertaining then medkits, this game would have gotten a 9/10 or possibly even a 10/10 I mean what is the point of a epic battle when the people killed lie around looking like they are sleeping, and you run around without risk of dying because of the medkits the enemy left out for you.

There is an option for blood (by default it's switched OFF) in the 'Performance' category.

To be honest, I think they could have left this demo away and release a SP/MP demo instead. I don't understand why some game developers release seperated SP or MP demos if they can release everything in one piece.

PSC blues.gif

Indeed, if they are planning a MP demo why not release it with the SP demo. And thanks for telling me about that blood option. Back to a 9/10.

Have you seen the videos from the Stalingrad missions? They are very exciting smile_o.gif

Maybe the felt that both SP and MP in the same demo would be too big for some people to download. Then again maybe not. Most games does this these days.

Anyway i just tried it on a friends computer and it was good, really good. A bit short though... Im very much looking forward to the MP demo!

smile_o.gif

Wow! This game is definately an awesome surprise. I expected it to be MOHAA with more team mates, but I'm surprised at the good AI and cool iron sights. smile_o.gif Too bad theres no blood or anything, I hate when developers do that, I never know if I hit or miss.

I thought before playing this demo that MOH was the most immersive game i have played in the arcade/realism category (not the category of OFP wink_o.gif ).

But after playing the demo mission, now Call of Duty is the most immersive game i have played in the arcade/realism category smile_o.gif

If the other 23 missions are as fun and immersive as this demo one, i will buy it for sure .

From what i played , the scripted AI is much better than the scripted AI from MOH the squads moves are better , there are more animations and eye candies .

That is really impressive and the iron sight is a good move from the dev team to add in the immersion.

If you liked the SP part of MOH, you will like better the SP part of Call of Duty.

For the MP part, i dont really care (the same for MOH) , as there is no bot planned.

Scripting != AI.

(!= means not equal to)

I saw very very little AI in the demo.  I saw a lot of clever scripting and 'if player is at x location spawn enemies at y' type stuff, but woefully little AI.

Its quite good. They've made the weapons a lot less nonsensical than MOH, which is good, although they aren't as good as DoD's by a long way. I don't like the MGs , although thats a limit of the Q3 engine. I didn't see that much AI, just some clever scripting, which is good in some ways but bad in others. It means that, like MOH, the level is exactly the same every time in terms of enemy locations and friendly locations, and that even if you do really well, you can't save your squadmates if they are designed to die. (this happened a lot in MOHAA - I'd kill all the enemy before they killed my moronic squadmates, then they wouldn't have scripts for the rest of the level so they'd just stand around stupidly (near explosives that were the point of the mission) and die.

Not being able to give proper commands to the rest of your squad is terrible and potentially ruining, for the lack of AI reasons and simply if you want to eg snipe from a window the AI is in. Its nothing but pandering to those who can't understand complex ideas.

Not sure, but there *seems* to be spawning enemies as well; I hope there isn't but if there is... grrrr.

Far too many tracers as well IMO. Its like a big neon sign saying 'look noobs! The enemy is over there!'

Weapons are nice but not very realistic; the garand/ carbine debacle especially (carbine has more recoil than garand)

After playing it again, there really is very little AI in the game; its just scripted sequences depending on where the player is. Its so linear  

I see this being extremely limited in replayability; all you have to do is memorise the enemy locations.

Graphics = 7 (too many tracers, models and animations are wack, but the whole thing looks good)

Playability = 8 (since theres so little depth and its so linear)

Replayability = 1

Difficulty = 4 (its not worth playing except on veteran and even then its not THAT hard.)

Running = 10 (great job making the q3 engine run smooth and getting most of the kinks worked out; could be excellent platform for mods)

Sound = 9 (very good)

Skill level = 4 (seems to be very simple and straightforward)

Now, this is all based on the demo. It could be that they do actually have AI code in the game, but that level is just really heavy on the scripting. It could be that not every level is a 'go here then here then here then here' linear no-brainer.

If so I'll be very happy and will change my opinion, which at the moment is 'I might get it for the mods'

Yet despite all that, I think I'll get it. I did notice that the amount of scripting limits the replay value (try running back through the level and being as impressed you were the first time), and the levels aren't any bigger than a MOHAA map. And still I think it's pretty cool- picking off the bad guys one by one with a Kar98K with iron sights is great fun.

Just tried it. It was fairly realistic. Nothing really unrealistic about it unless you want to turn off all the arcade gamers out there.

3d iron sights were really cool, enemy AI was really cool, all this without the bugs of OFP (no clipping bugs, no shooting through bushes), plus reload animations to boot.

I'd say it's just about equal to OFP if not better. OFP doesn't have 3d sights, enemy AI is good but can get stupid sometimes, and those bugs make for a bad gaming experience if the conditions are right.

Damnation! mad_o.gif

I can't find it...Well I can but you either have to register to gay FilePlanet, or the mirrors are full mad_o.gifsad_o.gif

FS it doesn't even compare to OFP. Thats like saying the BIS Blackhawk is as good as the BAS MH-60s.

I don't like BAS anyway tounge_o.gif

Well thats because you are FSpilot, but we love you anyway.

Damnation!  mad_o.gif

I can't find it...Well I can but you either have to register to gay FilePlanet, or the mirrors are full  mad_o.gif  sad_o.gif

Try this

Just tried it.  It was fairly realistic.  Nothing really unrealistic about it unless you want to turn off all the arcade gamers out there.

3d iron sights were really cool, enemy AI was really cool, all this without the bugs of OFP (no clipping bugs, no shooting through bushes), plus reload animations to boot.

I'd say it's just about equal to OFP if not better.  OFP doesn't have 3d sights, enemy AI is good but can get stupid sometimes, and those bugs make for a bad gaming experience if the conditions are right.

er............iron sight in the real world is more likely to be the type in OFP and AAO i think......................

I havent tried it yet but it's dissapointing to read about stupid team mates. Is it really that hard to make team mates with at least basic intelligence? I mean; No game has good team AI. OFP is at version 1.92 and the team mates are still almost useless, Ghost Recon had the same moronic team AI. Same with the Unreal mods like Infiltration. In fact UT probably has the best AI yet.

What is the bottleneck here?

BM

I played the demo through in about 10 minutes, and I thought it was great, except for the fact that I didn´t know if I was playing MOHAA or COD. ( tounge_o.gif ) I mean seriously, it´s a COMPLETE ripoff off MOHAA (yes I know that the devs are partly the same, which only makes the crime worse).

The ONLY thing new is the iron sights. It still has that nice feeling of MOHAA but why buy this title when you can get MOHAA for much cheaper? (Also, I think the graphics are inferior to the much older medal of honor...ugly weapons with weak sounds.) blues.gif

I havent tried it yet but it's dissapointing to read about stupid team mates. Is it really that hard to make team mates with at least basic intelligence? I mean; No game has good team AI. OFP is at version 1.92 and the team mates are still almost useless, Ghost Recon had the same moronic team AI. Same with the Unreal mods like Infiltration. In fact UT probably has the best AI yet.

What is the bottleneck here?

BM

Oh, but Rainbow Six: Raven Shield (the newest one) has (seemingly?) very intelligent AI. If 3 men are moving in a hallway the last one covers the back and they always shoot and advance through areas very convincingly. Their only weaknesses (patchable?) are the facts that they sometimes walk up the same ladder one by one, being killed by the same terrorist waiting at the top every time, plus they have a weakness for being sniped. wink_o.gif  Maybe the game just doesn´t allow them to show their stupidity (hey, what more could you ask for?) And yes, Ghost Recon and OFP Ai is pretty bad IMO.

I got this chilling MOHAA-feeling when I played that demo.  wow_o.gif

How can anyone say OFP's AI is bad? I still have'nt seen another game on par with OFP's AI.

As for COD-AI. I played the demo twice. The same things happend at exactly the same places.

I agree with Baron;

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">scripting != AI

and

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">COD_replayvalue == false

If the game costs less than regular overpriced EA-price then I might consider buying it.

(patchable?)

Not very likely consitering Ubi's history with Raven Shield sad_o.gif

But IMO the best AI of any game ever was Black & White- a poor game but with absolutely brilliant AI. It did stuff even the AI coders didn't think of crazy_o.gif In the game, if you pissed your creature off by ignoring it or whatever, it would find a clever way to get back at you, and it never did the same thing twice wow_o.gif

If that caliber of AI could migrate its way into a shooter, I'd be in high heaven smile_o.gif

(patchable?)

Not very likely consitering Ubi's history with Raven Shield  sad_o.gif

Eh? I haven´t played it in a while but I think I´ve seen at least 4 major patches come out?