Sign in to follow this  
SKULLS_Viper

Call of duty demo out!

@ Aug. 31 2003,13:00)]http://texn4life.homestead.com/files/images/wrong.JPG

What is wrong with this picture?

It's a bit dark, for one thing.

What? The scope site?

Maybe Pvt. Barret has the wrong Rank insignia on his helmet ?? I don´t really know much about US Ranks...but isn´t the two bars thingie a bit higher than Pvt. ?

Oh well...googled it up..he´s Capt wow_o.gif

The one thing I quite liked about it was the fact that I wasn't forced to have a certain combination of weapons. If I wanted two rifles and no sub-machine gun, I could. Made a nice change from being forced into a certain weapons configuration. (Unlike other games like this) smile_o.gif

Some notes:

- Hate those stupid health kits. I wanna medic.

- You should have to carry charges with you as part of your gear or take them from someone carrying them, not find them glowing on the armor you're to destroy, like something out of my children's Harry Potter game.

- Grenades are a life saver but I don't see any heading my way.

Some questions:

1. What does the Meelee shift key do?

2. How do you jump through windows?

3. Is there a COD forum?

I agree with Fowley at mission end that "you ain't seen nothing yet".

Questions:

:A,1 The melee shit key allows you to hit people with your rifle/handgun there is really no use for it so far. It can also be used to tell an AI soldier on your "team" to get out of the way. Or atleast I think that's what it's for. But watch out when using it, you might accidentaly give one of your buddies a whack over the head with that. Happened to me alot.

:A,2 I think it is a two way step, first press the jum button, then your soldier is about halfway. Then press it again and he will be inside.

:A,3 No idea really, try searching www.activision.com

And yeah the damn health kits are annoying, and the glowing "set the charges here thing" is kind of wacked aswell. And I had on grenade wipe out three guys from my squad. It was scripted though.

And what is with the names of the soldiers? Pvt.Roosevelt Pvt.Barret etc. etc. In the russian campaign will we see Pvt.Kalashnikov Pvt. Antonov or even Pvt.Stalin?

its a nice demo, but nothing compared to OFP. The wisdoms that appear on the screen when you die feel quite familiar...

What?

Sorry, don't know what you're talking about.

The game is too arcad-ish with medipacks everywhere, I have'nt got the chance to die biggrin_o.gif

And I had on grenade wipe out three guys from my squad. It was scripted though.

I played it again. I had a grenade thrown in my direction this time. So I went back to the house behind us and got a band-aid. smile_o.gif

Has anyone noticed? When you're wounded, it appears to me that there is no effect on your aim or your movement abilities. Very bad if this isn't improved in the final product.

I very much miss OFP's heartbeat, breathing and poor aim just after running. Oh................................... I'll just play OFP then. smile_o.gif

BTW, I went to Activision.com. There appear to be no regular forums there, other than for support questions (and COD isn't listed there yet).

The demo doesn't appear to be mentioned on either Activision's or the COD sites. Strange.

It was fun to play for a while, but much to easy. It's better when you put it up though. But, then again, maybe I'll play some of the singleplayer, and even check out the MP on a good day, but nothing to keep me from OFP wink_o.gif

It was fun to play for a while, but much to easy.

Did you play at veteran level and make it straight through the first time? rock.gif

Wow. I don't know what kind of mind-altering drugs they've been giving you guys so that you think this game is even halfway decent.

Probably Adrenochrome.

Anyway, the best demo i've ever played is still OFP. I think i played that mission through about 50 times and it was ALWAYS different.

Come on man...You honestly think that? rock.gif

This demo is awesome! wow_o.gif

Muzzle flashes lighting up rooms,frag grenades that actually produce fragments,ATMOSPHERE! This ddemo just oozes atmosphere! wink_o.gif

This ddemo just oozes atmosphere!  wink_o.gif

Yeah, but it reeks of scripting and arcadyness rock.gif

Yeah, but it reeks of scripting

Yes, that reduces replay value but it's good enough to still make it somewhat replayable.

Quote[/b] ]and arcadyness

I disagree. It's a bit arcady but there's a lot of action, you can't sit still (unless you find a really good shooting position, where you can remain unspotted) and the AI are very good at shifting positions, taking cover and charging.

It's not OFP but in its genre, I think it's very good at what it does.

It will be interesting to see what mission editing abilities will come with the game. There doesn't seem to be much info anywhere on what's planned for the official release.

If you want some (relatively) realistic WW2 action, try Day of Defeat, the HL mod. blues.gif Okay so it doesn´t have vehicles and the maps take some getting used to, but I quite like it. smile_o.gif

Can anyone else find private Spears in the demo and explain to me what his red and white warpaint face is?

Is it warpaint or are COD's developers just having fun?

Love the details, even if scripted. The crashing plane (<span style='color:red'>edit:</span> C47) and the artillery barrage at the start (BTW, if a shell lands too close, your vision goes fuzzy and your hearing is impaired for a while). Musn't forget those dead cows!

The voice snippets are very good. I'm complemented for a nice chuck when I take out an AA position with a nade. And the AI detect grenades! That's very clever! They either retreat, if they can or come out and fight, if there's no exit.

The AI animations are quite amazing, from holding onto their helmets while running, to jumping over walls and fences and shifting positions from a window to a door, etc.

Did I mention I hate the heal-kits? tounge_o.gif

played it through again...

1) It might be fun if you couldn't take 25 hits from an SMG and survive.

2) Health packs are rediculous, they're as plentiful as crack needles in the ghetto right now. Maybe there should be a medic somewhere in the level that could patch you up a little.

3) The Garand rifle model is TERRIBLE. Since when did it look like broomstick with black paint on it?

4) the soldiers are just a little cheesy looking.

4) the soldiers are just a little cheesy looking.

And their helmets look a couple of sizes too big or they just got very small heads tounge_o.gif

@ Aug. 31 2003,13:00)]http://texn4life.homestead.com/files/images/wrong.JPG

What is wrong with this picture?

It's a bit dark, for one thing.

What? The scope site?

Maybe Pvt. Barret has the wrong Rank insignia on his helmet ?? I don´t really know much about US Ranks...but isn´t the two bars thingie a bit higher than Pvt. ?

Oh well...googled it up..he´s Capt  wow_o.gif

I just finished playing the demo, and the captain was the only one with the captain bars on his helmet(his name was Captain Folley to me), no one else did.

The demo was good, alot of action. But I feel somewhat cheesey running through MG fire, taking 12 hits, and being able to jump behind a corner. I would have liked it more as a one-shot kill instead(gives games an edge)

(BTW, if a shell lands too close, your vision goes fuzzy and your hearing is impaired for a while).

I was wondering what that was. I thought my comp was failing. tounge_o.gif

I just finished playing the demo, and the captain was the only one with the captain bars on his helmet(his name was Captain Folley to me), no one else did.

Was Private Barrett alive at the end for you to check his helmet? It's definitely 2 bars in Tex's pic.

This game looks great! And it runs very well on my old computer. smile_o.gif

Anybody else think the helmets are about twice as big as they should be? Or am I just going insane crazy_o.gif

Anybody else think the helmets are about twice as big as they should be?  Or am I just going insane crazy_o.gif

Maybe they are just very very small paratroopers smile_o.gif