Sign in to follow this  
SKULLS_Viper

Call of duty demo out!

I'm more concerned with my Mosin Nagant. If they put a curved bolt on it like in Spearhead, i'll be pissed.

By looking at the Red Square video, it is. crazy_o.gif

I love this demo.

Its really good. I love the realisticness of it.........

HOWEVER I HAVE SOME MINOR FLAWS.

I dislike the way that bodies disappear from the floor.

and also is it just me or do you seem to have more and more team mates as you go along, especially as you see some of them die. I start off with like 8, then about 3 die and yet when I look about half way through the mission i seem to have about 10 team mates

I love this demo.

Its really good. I love the realisticness of it.........

HOWEVER I HAVE SOME MINOR FLAWS.

I dislike the way that bodies disappear from the floor.

and also is it just me or do you seem to have more and more team mates as you go along, especially as you see some of them die. I start off with like 8, then about 3 die and yet when I look about half way through the mission i seem to have about 10 team mates

well ther's an option for how many bodies you want to be laying down. less obviously reduce cpu usage. about that other thing, well there's ppl parachuting all over the place so i don't know maybe it's them.

there's ppl parachuting all over the place so i don't know maybe it's them.

I believe they spawn in from behind you and join up at your present location. At the end, there always seem to be the same amount of survivors gathered around no matter what.

The Parachuters are just 2D objects that drift to the bottom of the skybox. You can't really tell though unless you get close.

At the beginning when you cross the field, reinforcements spawn from where you started the game(In a trench).

The respawn place changes as you progress. Like just after the first Flakpanzer when your trading shots with a group around the second one, they respawn just above the two MG42s.

According to some previews, in other maps they can respawn from the air(Paradrop), I seem to recall something about Germans respawning from trucks. Stalingrad will obviously have respawns.

Quote[/b] ]By looking at the Red Square video, it is.

I couldn't tell much about it... If they do, i'll put that down as pure laziness about not wanting to make a single new animation, or slightly changing an exhisting one.

Haven't tried it yet but this SP demo mod gives the Germans grenades. I think it also sharpens up the AI a bit. Not sure.

It gives everyone grenades, and they use them. It also modifies the German soldier's "bravery" setting in files like "axis_wehrmacht_soldier_kar98k.gsc" found in the aitypes directory of the pak0 pk3 file. This makes the Germans more dangerous, as they do more shooting and less hiding. It seems they found a way to make the AI fear for its life.

I am not a fan of giving AIs unlimited respawns.

1. Why should you care as long as it looks real and feels effective? I mean I could understand if they popped up out of nowhere right in front of your eyes but the spawn sites are always hidden from your view.

2. There is a limit. When you pass certain points and/or accomplish certain objectives that affects/reduced AI spawning. For example, in the demo, after you take out the armored car gunner and you take the left flank opposite the houses across the street, there is a certain amount of respawning but once you've killed a certain amount it stops and you're left with mopping up the last few (or let your AI teammates do it for you when they charge across the street).

Haven't tried it yet but this SP demo mod gives the Germans grenades. I think it also sharpens up the AI a bit. Not sure.

It gives everyone grenades, and they use them. It also modifies the German soldier's "bravery" setting in files like "axis_wehrmacht_soldier_kar98k.gsc" found in the aitypes directory of the pak0 pk3 file. This makes the Germans more dangerous, as they do more shooting and less hiding. It seems they found a way to make the AI fear for its life.

Things just got a lot nastier with these grenades on both sides. Another mod I wish I would have had before first playing the demo.

I had a little Q&A with Vince Zampella, chief creative officer at Infinity Ward, the game's developer:

Quote[/b] ]AL: Are there plans for a COD forum soon?

IW: Activision handles the website, so I'm really not sure if there will be an official forum. There are several fan pages that have forums.

AL: Is Infinity Ward looking to develop a rapport with their potential player community to review suggestions before the game is released?

IW: We are too close to release on this game for that to be effective. We do have good relationships with historical re-enactors and advisors that we use. Hopefully there will be more time for customer feedback on future products. We have addressed issues raised from the demo, and community feedback is ultimately very important to us.

AL: Will additional information on COD be made public in the near future? Some of us find it most unusual to find so little information on a game that already has a great demo released.

IW: Hmm, I actually feel that there has been a lot of info released. Some of it is in print publications, some of it in online pages. I guess I see everything that goes out, while most players will only see a portion of the information. There will be a steady stream of information released until the game ships. There is an event this week, so you should see more info this weekend. You don't happen to live in northern CA, do you?

I straightened him out on his final question to me. wink_o.gif

Just tried the demo. Not my piece of cake.

I felt railroaded, and while the gfx were nice the mission was boring with no replayability value whatsoever. I can't see much difference to games like Medal of Honor or other war shooters. A big disapointment!

I had a little Q&A with Vince Zampella, chief creative officer at Infinity Ward, the game's developer:
Quote[/b] ]AL: Are there plans for a COD forum soon?

IW: Activision handles the website, so I'm really not sure if there will be an official forum. There are several fan pages that have forums.

AL: Is Infinity Ward looking to develop a rapport with their potential player community to review suggestions before the game is released?

IW: We are too close to release on this game for that to be effective. We do have good relationships with historical re-enactors and advisors that we use. Hopefully there will be more time for customer feedback on future products. We have addressed issues raised from the demo, and community feedback is ultimately very important to us.

AL: Will additional information on COD be made public in the near future? Some of us find it most unusual to find so little information on a game that already has a great demo released.

IW: Hmm, I actually feel that there has been a lot of info released. Some of it is in print publications, some of it in online pages. I guess I see everything that goes out, while most players will only see a portion of the information. There will be a steady stream of information released until the game ships. There is an event this week, so you should see more info this weekend. You don't happen to live in northern CA, do you?

I straightened him out on his final question to me. wink_o.gif

Hehe where did you find him? c_shocked.gifc_smiley.gif

Anyway, interesting reading! smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Up to 64 players will be able to join games in multiplayer, which we imagine will be pretty damn insane and we can't wait to try it out. Everything we saw in this game makes us believe that it should be in the forefront of people's minds this holiday season. Make sure to keep your eyes on it and look for it to hit store shelves this November.

Cool  smile_o.gif

I feel sorry for any FPS coming out at the same time as HL2. It's like David vs Goliat. Except Goliat is like 10x the size smile_o.gif.

Otoh I feel sorry for most games going head to head vs HL2. It's going to empty many wallets.

I hope they release a mp demo soon of this game so we can see what the long term appeal of this game is. Though personally I can't wait to see what the DOD for HL2 will look like smile_o.gif. It will look grim for BF1942 at least.

BM

And after that at the new Doom3 pics from Gamespot. They are stunning to say the least.

Maybe one should make a thread about it? "The Engine Wars" sounds dramatic enough?

Video looks good but I would like to actually TRY the mp version smile_o.gif.

BM

And after that at the new Doom3 pics from Gamespot. They are stunning to say the least.

FYI, from this article:

Quote[/b] ]If you've been following Call of Duty at all, you'll know that it used a Quake 3 engine foundation to build upon. What you might not know is that the foundation was only built from the basic framework, level editing tools, and network code from that engine. Everything else was rewritten to serve their purposes.