Sign in to follow this  
cbfasi

Hms hermes 1968

How about fixing the deck first, as I currently still fall through it at a lot of points smile_o.gif Plus, AI doesn't like walking around on it...

Does it HAVE to be in pieces, what is keeping you from putting it into one big lump?

I will check the deck, but it seems odd if you keep falling through.  Can you give me an idea where, as according to the model in o2 no holes are present, unless your trying the side walkways which are not done yet..

Also the ship is in sections due to OFP engine limits on the maximum length of the roadway lod, my original trials with HMS Invincible whihc was one peice oroved this to be the case and I ended up chunking it up.

Also some guideance on the pathway lod will be of great help, because its one area I don't understand that well and its what is controlling the AI movement on this ship. I have looked at the bis dmeo models and I am still lost on this..

I will check the deck, but it seems odd if you keep falling through.  Can you give me an idea where, as according to the model in o2 no holes are present, unless your trying the side walkways which are not done yet..

Also the ship is in sections due to OFP engine limits on the maximum length of the roadway lod, my original trials with HMS Invincible whihc was one peice oroved this to be the case and I ended up chunking it up.

Also some guideance on the pathway lod will be of great help, because its one area I don't understand that well and its what is controlling the AI movement on this ship.  I have looked at the bis dmeo models and I am still lost on this..

Where you start (demo mission), if you walk towards the angled deck, somewhere around there you will fall through.

You will also fall through behind the bridge, and at the intersection near the bridge.

Regarding the roadway lod, umm, airports are rather huge, if they work then why won't it work on the ship?

Also if anyone knows how I can put in a simple approach guidance system it would help many as at the moment its not exactly the easiest of ships to find and line up for landing.

I remember a script that simulated an ILS approach to runways for an aircraft- maybe it could be adapted for the carrier? Its on ofpec here -scroll down to the bottom of the list of scripts on that page and its called Flight Supervision Systems smile_o.gif

Crippler smile_o.gif

Aiports work becuase they arn't addons, they island work. They use the same principle as the rest of the island which you may have noticed you can walk on.

I will check these locations for lod holes, seems might be on the seams which I can fix, thanks.

If you put the carrier on the island the AI can walk about and even take off without blowing up the carrier, you need to tell them to enter an empty plane lined up perfectly with the catapult, however they usually crash afterwards as they don't know how to pull up!

some guy got a working ramp going check ofp.info archive news a few pages back

I have seen that (Kuznetsov Carrier) but the forum that is linked is in Russian, which I don't understand..

Very cool addon, I always thought aircraft carriers in OFP were impossible to do properly. Well, the AI can´t walk on it and it seriously needs some tectures tounge_o.gif but otherwise it works relatively well if you consider that you had to wrestle with the dreaded OFP collision detections system. Keep up the good work smile_o.gif

Pennywise, in your next F18 update please include instructions on how to start the jets on the deck with wings folded up for that carrier look. Please also include the script on how to start a jet in the mission with wheels down. For some odd reason everytime I lay a jet down on this thing with the player in it the wheels are up. If I just lay a jet with no player inside the wheels are down. Another thing pennywise, ask the guy who made the F16 pilots pack if you can include that thing in your addon. Or not, its up to you.

There are instructions already included in the F18 pack that explain how to start with the wings up. You may download the original package here.

What island are you testing the carrier on? You shouldn't have to configure anything to place an F18 on the carrier, with the gear down and AI in plane. I have tested this with AI and have not seen this issue. Let me know the island your own, and I'll check and see if I can replicate the problem.

Im not sure what you mean by "include that thing". Are you talking about the Pilots Pack in general or something specific? Please elaborate a little more and we'll see if this can be done or not.

I got your CAT launching problem fixed right now, and yes I'm dead serious it works like a dream.  

Here is the link to the topic:  Realistic CAT launch script with working Trap

I've created a mission with scripts that WILL launch up to 3 aircraft either player controlleed or AI in a mission.  It very realistic contrary to the script provided with the Hermes CV addon.

I borrowed nothing from the FLK War Mod launch or trap script, all of my code is original.  I didn't see how the FLK War trap script worked until AFTER I made this.

What happens is the aircraft must have no fuel in it at the begining, then assign it a full tank of gas and then running the script for launching it starts it up.  It holds it in place without moving or turning for about 10 seconds then shoots the F/A-18 off the deck in a realistic speed.  Once I finished with the launch angle bugs, I have NEVER had an AI aircraft crash in the water.  I ran the mission 26 times to make sure of that.

My landing script works better in the mission too.  I don't mess with which wire it gets, I just put a script covering just the 4 wires and that's it with a maximum landing height condition.  Unfortunately the AI can't land on the carrier, but rarely in a mission you need that anyways.

Anyways, much of it is beta in coding design but the CAT script works like a dream.

Try my CarrierOps mission with the scripts, I Garantee you won't be dissapointed.

Later all.

Havoc.

Thank you, I will look at this, and I am glad to see others are taking time to improve what I had started.

Hey CBFASI, I'll probably after I finish a cleaned up version of the script for easier use by other people convert "Awake" by Godsmack into an ogg file for the cat launches.

I'll sometime soon make a zip file of CarrierOps mission that has the music as a "Plus" or "Bonus" version.

Anyways, test it soon as you can and give me some feedback by clicking the Realistic CAT launch topic link I written in the reply this topic and replying to my topic when you can.

Later.

Havoc.

Great script Havoc.  Although one problem is that it only works with the RAD-F-18's.   I tried it with the F14 tomcat and A6 intruder addons and both of those fold up their landing gear and blow up when launched.  I found a solution however using a empty aircraft and then with a delayed trigger using the "getindriver" command to put a pilot in it.  However after I got the first Ai launched aircraft to work, when it came to the second it froze up and crashed to desktop (CTD).  I'm not sure if it was just a rare bug, the scripts, or something in my system that caused it to crash but I'll see if I can get it to work again.  You might try messing with this also to see if you can make a mission just using empty A10s in the manner I described above and see if you run into this problem.  If it works it would allow a mission maker to just use it as a template and put in what ever aircraft they want to replace the empty A10's with without having to download the F18 addon.  

Edit- Ok... I just got back from messing around with the mission and I got the F14's to work.  But the A6'skeep raising their gear as soon as the pilot gets into the plane either perhaps because their initial "setpos" script isn't at the right height or the position in the catapault script doesn't set it at the right height.  With the A-10 it doesn't raise its gear when the pilot gets in, but it gets destroyed when it is launched.  I'm going to keep messing around with it to see if I can find out what the problem is.   I just tested the E2 hawkeye addon also... same deal as the A10... it blows up when launched although the land gear stays down which is good.    

Edit again  (sigh)...   I tired different heights for the empty aircraft the E2, A6, and A10 all blow up when launched even if when their gear stays down... hmm.. maybe I'll change the angle that they launch at in the script?  

Hmm.... I got another crash...

It says:

Out of reserved memory [98304kb]

Code change required [Current limit 524288kb]

Total Free 195377kb

Free Blocks 527, Max free size 69195kb

Hmm... wierd.  I'm using a mod folder with only Navy planes and the aircraft carrier so I shouldn't be running out of memory.  Although I guess with each "preview" of the mission crap keeps accumulating or something which then causes the crash perhaps.  So I'm not sure if it's the scripts, the mission, the game, or my computer causing that CTD.  sad_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I haven't had time to experi+ment with any of the other aircraft.  I will find something to work with the E-2 and the F-14, however I can't garantee anything for the A-6 or any other aircraft launched by the carrier.

The script isn't universal, it is tailored to the type of aircraft and I picked a very good aircraft to create the script with.  Different aircraft require different forward and height velocities for them to work.

Give me time and I should have a foolproof script for the F-14, the A-6, and the E-2 Hawkeye.

Oh, can you post your reply in the topic I made for the mission for this.  I'd like your reply to be in my topic so others might try it out.

thx.

Later.

Havoc.

Rgr... will do... I'm gonna cut and paste it into the other thread and then continue the discussion there. Thanks for staying on top of things and perfecting this script because it truly is very impressive!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

My script or the Falklands one?

Because if it is mine you are talking about, feel free to say how great and wonderful I am.  Throwing money in my E-mail account is also very welcomed.

Just kidding, either mine or Falklands Mod one put hard work into getting you off and on the deck of the Carrier.  I do this so I and others can have more fun in OFP with aircraft for a change.  A simple thanks and when you can spread the word about me and my OFP Aircraft and Aircraft related site for stuff like this OFP aircraft web site project I have in mind.

Sometime hopefully in September or Early October I plan to have "The Local Hangar" OFP aircraft resource site up and running.

Anyways, I am pleased to see you enjoy these scripts.  If the Falklands War Mod is interested in using this script or a form of it for their project, wait until I have cleaned it up some before you use it.  I made it so others could improve on the script, however it would save us both effort and time if I fix it up for easier use and modification.

Later.

Havoc.

I have a big road block in fixing this problem.  I need to know how and if the height in which the raises up for certain aircraft can be changed to a higher height?

I have played and played with the addons but to no avail to get it to launch them without the gear going up.  I believe for Carrier aircraft, there must be a SYNICATED effort to standardize ALL carrier launched aircraft addons.  That includes, and A-6's, F/A-18's , F-14's, and the E-2.

That will mean that the addons will have to be REDESIGNED or modified to work like the F/A-18C by Hudson and Pennywise Landing Gear on the aircraft.

There might be a way to impliment an addon designed landing system if all carrier aircraft use the same arrestor hook name and system.

Anyways, I am asking all Carrier based aircraft addon makers that intend to launch AI aircraft off their decks that they conform to the F/A-18C Gear design by Hudson and Pennywise.

Anyways, try to see if any of you can come up with some answers for this.

I'd appreciate it.

Later.

Havoc.

Wow after texturing it looks impressive smile_o.gif

And is that Harrier shooting something? whats with that yellow flame?

Avon, this thread was for the 1968 version of Hermes, our latest pics are of the newer version we used during the war which will only be released with the mod, i already posted all the new pics in our thread HERE

Kin yer all reply in there

Cheers

hehe biggrin_o.gif

Whilst were on this subject, i belive CBFASI is going to try and update the '68 version, not sure though