Sign in to follow this  
cbfasi

Hms hermes 1968

that bl**dy arrestor wire, I hit it bang on and it barely ever works crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

British sailors eh?

Are we going to have two versions, dressed and shorts round the ankles?

ˇˇˇˇ wow.gif !!!!

(Viriato runs for cover hearing the Shells incoming for a really hard area barrage)

Jinef you better look for a deep trenche and fasten your helmet strips!!! biggrin.gif

Shells coming!! crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CBFASI @ 20 May 2003,08:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As for the red strip... I'm not sure about this..

HMS Ark Royal from the same time period has a red strip (one of the few colour photos I have), but I only have black & white photos of Hermes from this era, and all it shows is that its darker..<span id='postcolor'>

This is what i found on the ship (yes i was bored)...

Black Strip

Red Stripes at back of boat, but cant see the rest of it.

Alos i cant get the wire thing to work either confused.gif

are you gonna make a 'ski ramp' style carrier that the harriers can use stol landing on?

Ps is there a special way of landing to engage the wires?

The mod version will feature the ski ramp, as well as a few other things.

I dont see why people are having trouble with landing, works everytime for me, u sure ur using 1.9? i know for a fact that it defintley works with our sky hawks because ive recorded a mini vid of it landing, if u keep missing the wires just make the tigger longer

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (blackdog~ @ 20 May 2003,04:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I decided to make use of your ejection seat:

careject.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

how did you put the seat on that?

Can you tell me because i want to put it on the AH-10

Niiice.

On the Hermes R12 picture at:

Carrier history page

-it looks as though the landing strip is white, and the two

catapult strips are coloured (possibly red). It could be the

reflectivity of the paint I guess.

Reminds me that I wanted to do a static Bucc with folded

wings. Hmm....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KEVBAZ @ 20 May 2003,14:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dont see why people are having trouble with landing, works everytime for me, u sure ur using 1.9? i know for a fact that it defintley works with our sky hawks...<span id='postcolor'>

Did you try with: FA-18, F15, Tornado...ect.?

MfG Lee wink.gif

The version with a ski-jump....

Well you didnt spot this then in the past

Hermes3.jpg

This piccy was taken back in Febuary.

In fact the 68 version in my case was buitl after the 82 version... I altered the angled deck slightly and removed the ski-ramp...

As for those pictures Hotshot...

The first is a later picture showing the ship as in my picture above. The Second showing the Buccanner is spot on, although sow I still have much work to do on the deck textures.

Footmunch... The picture you directed me too does indeed show a large number of the markings, although from an earlier period, by the end of the 60's they had chnaged to the red scheme, maybe because it was easier to see, but I am not 100% sure on that.

A Buccaneer would be great for this ship too, and if you look at the helldiver, you can actaully have folding wings on the working version.

Now a BIG request to all those with the skills.

To make this carrier better I(we) need to have more control over the arrestor and catapult system..

I wouldl like, if anyone knows how...

Catapult, you choose to lock on, it stops you from moving no matter how much power is on, then you can release. This way it wont automatically pick up almost anything that goes over it.

The Arrestor wires simliar...

You get to within a repectable range, and it gives you otpoin to prepare arrestor hook, if hooks not engaged than the wires wont catch, again will stop the automatics that are annoying.

Oh yes... at the moment the Arrestor wires don't necceasarily match the visual positions, its guess work, close but still a guess.

I will also do some further trials with almost every aircraft I can find for OPF, thats is that I still have on my hd..

It seems some aircraft maybe set up slightly differently, but that I will find out hopefully.

On the subject of crew, How about the Royal Australian Navy from the ADF Mod?

Forget about all I wrote.

I made the trigger larger and now it works! smile.gif

Tested with Luftwaffe Tornado, Italy Tornado and FA18.

I think its cause the different heights shown on some Aircrafts.

Like flying 5meters above the sea and the plane shows -5, -10... ect.

So don´t your fault!

MfG Lee wink.gif

Finally got it biggrin.gif the skyhawk's a bit too jerky but the buccaneer and the F-14 work like treats.

Thanks a lots guys biggrin.gif

As someone just noticed...

If you are having trouble landing...increase the size of the wire triggers..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CBFASI @ 20 May 2003,08:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">She does need a facelift, in fact its the one area I am almost useless at, that is texture work..

As for the red strip... I'm not sure about this..

HMS Ark Royal from the same time period has a red strip (one of the few colour photos I have), but I only have black & white photos of Hermes from this era, and all it shows is that its darker..

I have no plans as yet for a Russian Helicopter Ship (be that Moskava??).

A different version of this ship will receive most of my attention, although much of the two ships is actaully idenitical, and sections will merely be coped over to the other.

On my computer they both live in the same pbo which I had removed the 82 version from (and also caused the intial bugs, as I had not checked the cut down version).

I tried the deck systems with a few aircraft with possible naval ties, such as the F'14s, the Buccaneer, Mig-29, Skyhawk.

The only one that didn't work was the Falklands mod Harrier, but in reallife it cant do it anyway so theres no loss.<span id='postcolor'>

not really...i was thinking more the kuznetsov

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/kuznetsov/

...which i see you have a good start on already when you think about it???...ski jump and all..how bout it??...a bonafide Russian aircraft/helo carrier?..seems logical to me?

How about we just concentrate on getting the Mod finished, before people start asking for obscure addons wink.gif

Idea maybe but i was thinking of this:

Well CBFASI there is a way to make some detect things in a script so like if you got a A10 and its called A10 in the .cpp then you will write that name down to detect and then in game it will only work for the names that are specified in the Script of the Arrestor hook and the Catapult Its just a idea but it can work smile.gif

But now i made some edits to the demo mission and i got 2 versions 1: a Falklands Team only version so only the falklands team can play with it tounge.gif and a public version.

I added harriers to the Carrier and more things and a mission to do so it will be up soon smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ 20 May 2003,01:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How about the Hunter aircraft?  

prm106.jpg

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD><span id='postcolor'>

The Hunter wasn't used as a naval aircraft...it was at one point but never further than concept aircraft (At least as far as I know smile.gif )

I have a big question....

Has anyone successfully gotten the AI to take off the carrier?

I've tried placing the carrier in different spots, using different heights for the aircraft, using different aircraft, modifying the catapault triggers, ect...

So far the AI planes just move a little bit... and then just get stuck. sad.gif

On that crude working aircraft carrier that was released earlier ( it was just multiple floating blocks with a runway on it). The AI pilots were actually able to take off once the carrier was positioned facing the right direction so that the AI pilots would move straight up the deck and take off rather then just turning and rolling off the side of the deck.

Anyone have any ideas on why the AI piloted planes get stuck on the deck of the Hermes addon?

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shashman @ 20 May 2003,21:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ 20 May 2003,01:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How about the Hunter aircraft?  

prm106.jpg

Chris G.

The Hunter wasn't used as a naval aircraft...it was at one point but never further than concept aircraft (At least as far as I know  smile.gif )<span id='postcolor'>

Actually this website says it had a fairly long naval career:

http://www.fradu-hunters.co.uk/galleryd.html

However I'm not sure if it ever was used for carrier operations on the Hermes.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ 20 May 2003,00:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shashman @ 20 May 2003,21:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ 20 May 2003,01:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How about the Hunter aircraft?  

prm106.jpg

Chris G.

The Hunter wasn't used as a naval aircraft...it was at one point but never further than concept aircraft (At least as far as I know  smile.gif )<span id='postcolor'>

Actually this website says it had a fairly long naval career:

http://www.fradu-hunters.co.uk/galleryd.html

However I'm not sure if it ever was used for carrier operations on the Hermes.

Chris G.

As I read it, it was uased as a shore-based aircraft by the Fleet Air Arm, not from carriers.

And looking again, the aircraft is a hunter T.8, a pure trainer.

AI don't like the carrier..

I did trials even with the carrier facing the correct direction.

The AI would catch the catapult, it would 'launch' them but the AI didnt seem to understand it was airborne and pullup.

The result was identical each time... glug

At the moment I do not consider this a big problem as this carrier is really showing what is possible and trying to do everthing.

This carrier is what one person has described in effect as a 'concept' addon.. If I can do it, then so can many of the other addon creaters out there...

I worked on the principle, why try solve a problem from a complex position, start from a simple position. This is a simple addon, but its effective..

So will you be including an AA stuff on the ship? I always add 2 Vulcan M113's in the water as close to the ship as possible to simulate the Volcan cannons on the Carriers, looks good, but you can see the M113's. I'm not sure if they had Vulcan Cannons in the Falklands or what, so if not vulcans will you be including any other type of AA system on board?