Sign in to follow this  
cbfasi

Hms hermes 1968

Heres the piccy in the readme...

Hermes.jpg

The following is an image of a slightly earlier trials before teh textures had been completed (see island)

Hrm68-02.jpg

Some others will be nice from other than the Falklands team, showing the skills, or lack of them..

how do the landing wires work? because i hit them and nothing happens confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (lpdotcom @ 19 May 2003,23:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">how do the landing wires work? because i hit them and nothing happens confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It only worked 1 time for me now.

Landing with a "Gimbal Planes" Chessna.

Harrier only via VTOL, FA18 - Negative, Tornado - Negative, Mig29 - Negative.....

I watched my landings a few times from commander view.

I am 100% sure I hit one of the wires.

With the chessna it was wire "3". Worked at first try.

Don´t know whats going on.

But overall a nice piece of work! Thx a lot!

MfG Lee sad.gif

Carrier2.jpg

Another working touchdown, this time A10.

Carrier3.jpg

What a feeling! Great! smile.gif

Don´t know what I am making wrong with FA18 & Co.

MfG Lee wink.gif

so it seems to only work with some addons but not others, i know it DEFINATLEY works with our skyhawks

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KEVBAZ @ 20 May 2003,00:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">so it seems to only work with some addons but not others, i know it DEFINATLEY works with our skyhawks<span id='postcolor'>

Oh, great to know!

So I don´t have to wonder. biggrin.gif

Carrier4.jpg

It´s a great feeling, landing on that carrier.

Big Thank You!!

MfG Lee smile.gif

Oh momma - gotta try this one out.

Does anyone know what kind of aircraft really flew from the Hermes? I know F-4Ns (right?) and I think Buccaneers too, but what else?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ 19 May 2003,03:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh momma - gotta try this one out.

Does anyone know what kind of aircraft really flew from the Hermes? I know F-4Ns (right?) and I think Buccaneers too, but what else?<span id='postcolor'>

In '68, according to the readme it had a compliment of Sea Vixens and Buccaneers. The Sea Harrier didn't appear unil a fair bit later.

he didnt ask for planes for the time period, that hermes is the same on that went to the falklands and is the same one still in service today with the indian navy, shes about 60years old and still in service

Yeah none of the scripts work with your teams Harrier jet... of coarse that's not a big deal taking off.... however landing without the arrestor hook script is very difficult with the harrier jet. sad.gif

However I made my first successful landing with the RAF Bucaneer!!!! I agree with others, it's a wonderful feeling! However for MP games I think some kind of respawn script will be needed for both players and aircraft. smile.gif Either that or to make things easy it might be nice to have a script that just puts your plane back on deck when a player hits the trigger specifically for his aircraft. The reason for that is because I can see right now alot of MP players slamming into the aircraft carrier's side as they try to land.

Ideally however it would be awesome if someone made a script that actually guided the aircraft onto the carrier kinda like the auto land. Actually I remember a long time ago someone made a script that moved an empty object along a series of waypoints. It was a really old script that used an empty blackhawk helicopter. I bet that a really smart script writer could figure out how to modify that script to move an aircraft down onto the deck in a realistic manner. It would not be very realistic as it would grab the aircraft from any height and position it along the landing path, but still it would be a bit easier for the novice pilot.

I have to admit that it's extremely tricky to land a plane on the carriers especially with planes that are not especially maneuverable. I always save the game, on my approach. smile.gif

At any rate, this is still a great addon! Awesome work!

With the RAF Chinook addon, I can also use it to launch massive helicopter assaults with the UK forces British Royal Marine addon.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KEVBAZ @ 19 May 2003,03:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">he didnt ask for planes for the time period, that hermes is the same on that went to the falklands and is the same one still in service today with the indian navy, shes about 60years old and still in service<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does anyone know what kind of aircraft really flew from the Hermes? I know F-4Ns (right?) and I think Buccaneers too, but what else? <span id='postcolor'>

That's how I read it. The Sea Vixens would be included in the list, also probably Gannets and Sea Venoms.

Wyverns were probably a bit early.

Great job, BTW.

Yeah, I hadn't actually downloaded the addon yet, so I didn't have a chance to read the readme. But it's nice to see that my psychic request was answered before I even thought of it.

However, my psychic landing abilities are crap with every aircraft, besides helicopters, that I try to land. I'm always too high, too low, or too fast. I suck. sad.gif

Also, whenever I put an aircraft on deck, it always starts out in the water, no matter where I place it. How are you guys getting men and aircraft to start out on the deck?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ 20 May 2003,01:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah, I hadn't actually downloaded the addon yet, so I didn't have a chance to read the readme. But it's nice to see that my psychic request was answered before I even thought of it.

However, my psychic landing abilities are crap with every aircraft, besides helicopters, that I try to land. I'm always too high, too low, or too fast. I suck.  sad.gif  

Also, whenever I put an aircraft on deck, it always starts out in the water, no matter where I place it. How are you guys getting men and aircraft to start out on the deck?<span id='postcolor'>

Did you download the updated demo mission that was posted? If so. look at the init box on the aircraft and soldiers on the deck of the carrier. You'll see the script for positioning them on the deck. The last number is the number you have to worry about which controls the height. That script can also be used to adjust the height for a soldier so that you can place the soldier in the observation deck of the carrier or in different floors of a multi-floor building like the apartment buildings in Petrovice.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Is anyone gonna give the hermes a texture facelift?..needs some subtle texturing to match its other great qualities...some depth in the textures like you see on the btr80 thats comming...would be really nice.Does the hermes really have that red strip?...i don't remember that when i was on her when she visited halifax??Any plans to make a russian helo support ship?

K I addmit it took me an half hour to only succeed 3 times wow.gif

I could not find the wire biggrin.gif

Only when I wanted to get to the bridge or tower I fell down through the ship mad.gifwink.gif

I had some FUN that what is important smile.gif

The trigger that's supposed to slow the plane down doesn't seem to work for me. Not even landing on the carrier with the Harrier using the STOL works. The triggers only seem to trigger when you move slowly over them, not to mention that they should in theory (due to game physics) also activate if you flew over them at 10.000 kilometres height, but they don't.

Cool aircraft carrier though! Takeoff works like a charm! Though the textures are missing, I have to admit that the interior is set up nicely. smile.gif

I haven't had any problems walking around the bridge. It all looks great. Can't wait to see the final version with the mod, and I assume that it will be fully textured and detailed? With British sailors?

Also, I had a problem with the mission. I tried to open it in the editor and it said that it was a read only file. I've never seen that before. confused.gif

She does need a facelift, in fact its the one area I am almost useless at, that is texture work..

As for the red strip... I'm not sure about this..

HMS Ark Royal from the same time period has a red strip (one of the few colour photos I have), but I only have black & white photos of Hermes from this era, and all it shows is that its darker..

I have no plans as yet for a Russian Helicopter Ship (be that Moskava??).

A different version of this ship will receive most of my attention, although much of the two ships is actaully idenitical, and sections will merely be coped over to the other.

On my computer they both live in the same pbo which I had removed the 82 version from (and also caused the intial bugs, as I had not checked the cut down version).

I tried the deck systems with a few aircraft with possible naval ties, such as the F'14s, the Buccaneer, Mig-29, Skyhawk.

The only one that didn't work was the Falklands mod Harrier, but in reallife it cant do it anyway so theres no loss.

You know, the way that this ship is built, it would be ultra easy to add point defence...