Maio

Arma 3: Community wishes & ideas- NO DISCUSSION

Kylania

I would like to remind you that there is to be no discussion in this thread. This means no replies, comments, criticisms, or questions, period. Thank you.

Let me quickly throw in the

AMR-2

amr-2_2.jpg

The AMR-2 (Anti Materiel Rifle - 2) is a 12.7mm Sniper Rifle developed in China as an anti-materiel sniper rifle.

Here is another option:

M99

sniper-cn-m99-1.jpg

The M99 rifle is offered as anti-materiel / anti-sniper weapon, and is available in two calibers - 12,7x108 (M99-I)and 12,7x99 / .50BMG (M99-II).

:)

Edited by PurePassion

Going with the heavy weapons here, let's discuss weight.

A heavy weapon, like an anti-materiel rifle should have different handling characteristics than a sub-machine gun. So, for example, when you have an SMG out, when you aim around and the gun moves, it stops nearly the second you stop input, because its more lightweight and therefore more maneouverable. With a machine gun or heavy rifle, the inertia's going to keep it moving a little longer even if nobody moves the mouse.

Just my two cents :yay:

Going with the heavy weapons here, let's discuss weight.

A heavy weapon, like an anti-materiel rifle should have different handling characteristics than a sub-machine gun. So, for example, when you have an SMG out, when you aim around and the gun moves, it stops nearly the second you stop input, because its more lightweight and therefore more maneouverable. With a machine gun or heavy rifle, the inertia's going to keep it moving a little longer even if nobody moves the mouse.

Just my two cents :yay:

Make that 4 cents:)

I am a great big van of the Arma series and I am really looking forward to the next installment in this great simulation franchise.

But one thing that has always been bugging me, and being a killer of the actual simulation for me is that fact that random textures are popping up all over the place. I know that this isn't just a problem caused by low system specs because pretty much everyone playing this game is experiencing this. Some people maybe more then others, but I've even seen dev video's and tutorials in witch the same thing occurs.

Its especially bad with vegitation. Grass and small bush loading its textures pretty much in front of your feet all the time just looks really silly. Sometimes it even loads entire mountainsides and villages after minutes of waiting.

I'm not a game developer nor a graphics tech so I don't really what is causing this. What I do know is that its for some reason its very hard to patch and that its something that should be done properly the first time.

What I'm really trying to say to the Arma 3 developers is that I'd rather play the exact same game again with an optimized engine in which this has been fixed then a new game in which I am expeted to just ignore this.

I don't want to sound like some kind of pixelpussy or a annoying fan who thinks he know's everything better then the developers. I just think that if Bohemia wants to give us a truly polished and refined experience this time around, this should be on the top of their list.

I hope this will be heard, as I don't think I am the only one who thinks this should be adressed.

can you make the vehicles damage more realistic like what i mean is if it gets shot by an rpg or something pieces of it will fall off like it would in real life (also make it so that tanks can crush/destroy smaller vehicles like cars) and i know its not a car simulator but it would be good if car crashes would be more realistic

just some suggestions to make it look more realistic

looks like an awesome game guys keep up the good work

ArmA models wind (direction and force), clouds (overcast), humidity (rain), fog, ..., yet one thing is completely absent from this list: the temperature.

My guess is, that this originally has been discussed, yet discarded, since modelling seasons - aka winter (the most interesting temperature threshold is at 0°) - was not on their list - and probably still isn't.

Nevertheless I'd argue that BIS should start modelling temperature in their games, the sooner the better (and hopefully it will make it into ArmA3). I'm not asking for islands with full seasons - not yet, hehe - but to start small and keep going:

Modelling temperature, Milestone 1

1. world config
    There needs to be a new branch/part in the world config, that simply sets the average temperature over a year for that island; mean and standard deviation of the temperature for each month, and then we can simply do some gauss-tricks.
    Btw.: since there are those lovely TI-sights already implemented and functional and everything, there has to be already some sort of ambient temperature in game, right?
    If so:
    • Are these based on latitude/longitude and some default season/hist. average? Wouldn't it be better if these could be explicitly defined, since such hist. averages can differ quite a lot?
    • Why isn't this made accessible (per a scripting command) to begin with? :)

[*]temperature generator

Next, BIS needs to write a small temperatur generator that takes the average temperatures or mean, standard deviation, then a date, time or even direct sunlight as input, crunches those numbers... and voila, the world models temperature.

Maybe such a thing already exists (TI-equipment, remember?), in which case: ambientTemperature, we really need that command. :)

[*]Add some scripting commands

temperature to query the current temperature. Maybe call it ambientTemperature or something.

Maybe a setTemperature command, within the bounds of the temps std. dev. Though, that's rather secondary.

And that's it already for a first milestone of temperature modelling. Temperature is simply there and can be queried. This could be implemented in a relatively short amount of time. Hours, rather than days.

"Wait, what do you mean? It doesn't do anything? Are you friggin' kidding me!?" Well, yes! Of course not! :D

The point is: once this little bit is implemented, anyone else could start querying the ambientTemperature right away, doing stuff based on it: a weather module could decide whether there shall be rain or snow, le connaisseurs (the sim-fans) could let their old WWI weapons act up once temperatures drop below some value, ...

So that would be already a great step, but not the end of course. For a second milestone, I could imagine the following official implementations:

Modelling temperature, Milestone 2

1. Rain vs. Snow
    This is probably the first feature that comes to one's mind: if temperatures are above 0°, let it rain and let it snow around 0° and below. This would be such a small change, that this could just aswell be already implemented with milestone 1. A snow particle scripts already exist and look fabulous - even if the ground and everything else stays green. Also color correction exists, which already helps a lot.
    Though, to keep things "clean", I suppose to:
    • new commands: humidity, setHumidity, which do exactly what rain, setRain do.
    • deprecate rain, setRain. (sure, keep them...)

[*]Editor upgrade

Add an option to adjust (or override) the temperatur in the weather-panel; maybe limited/bounded to the standard deviation. (But again; this is already secondary and doesn't really need to be implemented right away, if at all)

[*]Temperatures influnce on objects

This is, where things get really interesting. Though an implementation could be rather tricky. A naive approach would be something along those lines: a single part from an object could be drawn/grouped multiple times, while a simple temperature transition function would decide which version of that part of the object should be drawn/shown. For textures (especially procedural ones) things could be even interpolated, so things (color/texture in this case) change smoothly over temperature changes.

Some examples:

• Ponds: Temp above 0°? Water surface. Temp. below 0°? Ice surface which is walkable! There's a tricky part: can we translate from water to ice? Ingame? IMHO: this is absolutely not necessary! The ponds could remain static (after the mission has been initialized): init ponds frozen or not, depending on the start-temperatur and that's it. Even if it becomes warmer, thick ice wouldn't melt away that fast (in the time of a single mission anyways). Problem cheaply solved - yet so much gained already: frozen ponds are not only nice to look at, that's also some strategy involved, once you realize you could also move over there...
    Bonus: Too heavy objects (depending on the thickness of ice; calculated by hist. avg.) could break into the ice (damage model in ponds object). Hahaha! :)
  • Roads: Frozen roads are crazy. :D Btw. also humidity (or the memory of it) should have an influence on the state of some (cheaper) roads: they could turn extremely muddy if humidity was high the last few days. On other days, the same road would be dry and so much better passable by vehicles!
  • Vehicles: ... could have all kind of quirks, depending on the temperature.

[*]Temperatures influnce on terrain/world

I think if terrain-texture could be procedural and thus show seasonal effects, already a lot would be gained. Snow doesn't really need to be physically modelled - yet, hrhr.

Then again, if models spawn different stuff, depending on the temperature, why not have extra clutter models for different seasons; snow overlays with variable height? In fact, such snow-overlays could be modeled for anything: trees, houses... hm, what if you could simply define rectangles in O2 for your models, where snow is allow to "grow"?! Then have a procedural mask for some randomness and a dynamic height (or presence at all) depending on the missions initial temperature?! That wouldn't be that much extra work, would it? Well, I can tell you what it would be: totally bananas! Yeah! :yay:

^^ That last part was probably Milestone 3 already.

Sounds great, doesn't it? :D

Yeah, yeah... "implement seasons or tits!"

How original. :rolleyes:

Nonetheless... it's about time!

And really, it's not (only) about eyecandy. This has severe strategic consequences.

Edited by ruebe

Some things to add:

SA80 and all its variants (considering the main character is British, it would be ridiculous to see him carry some sort of American prototype):

L85A2 assault rifle -One of the most reliable weapons know to the world, getting a jam is good luck. It can fire 65,000 rounds without jamming once!! Compared to the HKs around 200 for 60,000 shots reputation.

L22a2 -Light weapon... like the MP5

Aircraft:

AH1 apache

AgustaWestland AW159.. Lynx Wildcat

Eurofighter Typhoon

F35C - RN

Challenger 3... from the future? or just an improved challenger 2.

- The eyes of the persons and animals should shine by night when viewed through NVGs, if they don't have glasses or something that covers 'em.

After watching the Arma3 video presentation again this thought hit me that shallow water and shorelines really need some love. Especially since we're now going to have diving suits and stuff.

I came up with a few simple ideas that hopefully shouldn't be too hard to implement or taxing on the system requirements.

1:Shallow waters need to be a bit more transparent (but not too much, that leads to the uncanny "where does the water end?" effect that some games have). Actually, all water close to the player need to be more transparent. Having this super visible blue sky mirror effect close to the player looks kind of stupid, even when in open waters. If a sphere of gradient transparency around the player is too hardware taxing then just make shallow water in general more transparent, its a perfectly fine compromise.

2:People need to move slower in shallow water. Since we now have soldiers swimming and entering the battlefield from the ocean this is a must have. Nothing fancy required: just slow those soldiers down from knee deep and out - even better if they gradually move slower as the water deepens. It adds buckets of immersion and bring up a few tactical possibilities as well.

3:Splash and sound effects when moving in water, especially needed if we consider the moving slow idea from above. Again, nothing fancy: just a few particle effects around the soldiers legs - I'm not even asking for ripples in the water. If too hardware taxing: just limit it to the player unit (only your own in MP as well). More splash if you run and different animation for moving in water would be big perks but not really needed.

4:Make fatigue rocket skyhigh if trying to run in water. Stuff like this, and most of the above, really make you consider water as a part of the world and not just pretty scenery.

Ok, that was a few suggestions to help inspire you guys. I'm looking forward to A3 and what you all come up with for it. Have a happy holiday!

not sure if this has been mentioned but it's been an annoyance to me since I started into this series with ArmA1. When you reach shallow water that you would otherwise be standing in, your character continues to swim till he lands face first into dry land. It'd be much better to be standing in the water (much like when you are entering it till it gets too deep) when the depth is suitable again rather than till the water is 1 inch high. This goes especially with the whole swimming aspect of the game that we'll be seeing now with diving and such.

hi,

this is more of a wish and question.

so, arma 3 is set in the real island of Lemnos. Now, I have looked at the google satalite image of the island and i notice a few off-shore island surrounding the main island, namely: Sergitisi Nisidis and Koukonesi.

i do not know if this has been discussed already, but my question (and wish) is whether these minor isands will be included in the map?

i think it could make for some nice mission possibilities if they were included...

anybody know?

Ability to slowdown simulation to 0.5x and speed up to 16x

We should have a way to freeze the whole simulation and still be able to fly around with cameras.

-In game sound utilizing sound cards (EAX)

-More diverse voice overs on AI/East/West etc.

-Anti Cheating program such as Punkbuster for multiplayer

-A netcode for a non hitched/laggy online gameplay (like the recent 1.60 FINALLY for Arma 2... which is perfect now!!)

-Optimization on launch

-Skill based reward system for online play reflecting overall accuracy, team-play, assists, objectives achieved, shots fired etc. No ranking up for medals etc! (this is not COD or BF3!)

-In-game 360 degree VOIP enabled servers (Admin option).... Pretty much ACRE Mod...

-More dynamic weapon sounds of cracks and pops like in real life when rounds drop close to player!( JSRS Mod!)

-Improve the voice-over commands to be more realistic based upon overall squad awareness.

i.e under fire - Squad leader shouting - Recon - Quieter voice....

Really pumped about this game and i hope you can see my biggest disappointment from Arm2 (although of course i love it) was the netcoding...

Thank god its fixed now though!

Keep up the good work

Don't bother wasting time and money on atmospheric musical scores.

Fair enough have usable radios in vehicles.

I'd much rather hear the natural resonance of a dense forest than bizarre over dubbed action music.

Launchers:

Carl-Gustaf m2,m3

rpg-7 w/optic

rpg 22,26,27

SMAW

Shotguns:

Saiga-12 Bullpup

M26 MASS

SMG's:

Beretta M12

Beretta MX4

PP-2000

AEK-919 K

Calico M960

Rifles(all categories):

SA Vz.58

XM29 OICW

Daewoo K11

vepr assault rifle

SVDK

rpk w/optic (marksman rifle)

SAM-R

H&K SL8 (marksman rifle)

lee enfield mk.3(Iron sights & optic)

Explosion:

M26 grenade

F1 grenade (Russia)

Mk 2 grenade

RKG-3 anti-tank grenade

Machineguns&LMGs:

RPD

H&K HK21

Fixed wing:

mig 47

Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk

Rotor wing:

mi-35

ka-27

Wheeled vehicles:

BTR-80a

Tracked vehicles:

isu-152

that's all I want to say)

Something I'd also be very gratefull of would be optimized UAV's. The UAV's in OA were almost uncontrollable. The camera would bounce around and it would be impossible to fix it on a target. Next to that I also had the feeling it was cause because they were mostly flying very low.

When that is sorted out I think its also very easily applied to airplanes. That way we can finally have a good survaillance and targeting feature for airborne platforms.

Something like this:

lD8tDk63RS0

Edited by Sniperwolf572
Fixed YouTube embed.

- Some kind of que'ing system for players trying to connect to the server, to stop an overload of people causing major lag... half of which don't even have the correct mods...

- There should be a maximum ping option.

- There should be no connecting if your mods at incompatible, there should just be a message saying you cannot join this server. This will stop connection lag as well.

To build off of this, there should be an option to filter by addons, islands, and mods, so that you can see possible servers that are using your addon/mod/island. Also, I'm not sure if it could be done, but it'd be awesome if there could be a way to disable addons without having to restart. Like, say if you were to join a server mentioned in Rye's suggestion, that doesn't have the addons you have. It'd be nice if the game could just disable your mods for that server so that you could play, and then reenable after you leave. As I said, I'm not sure if BIS could do this, but IF it is possible, that would be really great.

Also, an addon category system would be great for that filtering system. A header or something in the addon file that categorizes the addon by, for example, the way Armaholic categorizes things: Weapons, Units, Replacement packs, Vehicles, Modules (addons with everything), Sounds, Objects, Mods (things that actually change gameplay), UI (including things such as the third person camera mod, True UI (adding/removing crosshairs for example)).

Here's why this system would be great, regardless of the first suggestion. I know every modder/addon maker makes their own server keys to use. What if those server keys had these category "headers"? Then a server wouldn't have to have EVERY single key for every mod/addon you have for you to be able to play on the server. A server could allow unit/weapon/replacement pack addons, things that don't affect gameplay. So if you've got units that replace the default NATO units or Iranian units, then you can see those units in place of the standard units. And there could be a way to give units (with different weapons than the server) standard weapons based on which side they are on (West vs East) and what class of soldier they are. A better mod/addon download system would also be great for this, where players don't have the addons the server has. The player could have the option of downloading that addon right before they join the server. If they choose not to then they don't join the server. A system like this would make mod/addon management a whole lot better.

Engine

Apply to servers and clients some like my ACM addon for chat and VON (ACM - Admin Chat Moderation & Voice)

UAV Sikorsky Cypher 2

http://www.uav.ru/picofday.php?cat=46

http://www.dreamlandresort.com/black_projects/cypher.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_Cypher

TALON's

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/TALON

Crawler mine layer RU and EU types

http://severrodnik.ru/?articleID=128