Sign in to follow this  
MikkoFin

Finnish defence forces

Suursaari would be pretty good, the only thing is that it lacks an airstrip, but of course the addon makers could implement some artistic freedom in the process ...

Blake: That is true, but Suursaari looks so nice smile.gif Unfortunately it is not part of Finland - so I couldnt find any detailded maps on Finnish Map Service website sad.gif

Back to the "mammoth" island issue: I use ArcView 3.2 to create DEMs - the first stage of work is to digitize elevation contours over the "flipped" raster (WrpEdit reads ASCII DEMs in another way than GIS software writes them). The time consumed by such operation depends on how big the surface is. I have already tried this method - it works good, so I dont want to put my efforts into the trial stuff anymore wink.gif (pretty boring, drawing all the stuff and adding heights manually)

BTW can you specify the amount of money needed to purchase small-scale maps from Karttakeskus (I suppose it is "Map Sevice")? Is there any possibility for foreigner to buy maps from this organisation?

Even if someone creates Suursaari, the result will be very different from original: I am not sure if it would be that fun to play on island covered by dense forest (about 90% of the surface)...

I think there is enough space for airstrip... 10km long, 2 km wide, looks like the shape of island is like designed to be a runway smile.gif

Uhm, artistic freedom will be necessity ("Use your imagination, corporal!") biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Edge @ Jan. 09 2003,13:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW can you specify the amount of money needed to purchase small-scale maps from Karttakeskus (I suppose it is "Map Sevice")? Is there any possibility for foreigner to buy maps from this organisation?<span id='postcolor'>

I don't know about prices. Check  National Land Survey of Finland website. And like you mentioned Karttakeskus (aka GeniMap company) is another option.

There is also free map service for Finnish maps at Karttapaikka, but unfortunately there aren't any detailed (that means pre-war I guess) maps available about Suursaari.

Too bad - pricelist and order explanation is in Finnish sad.gif

BTW I have searched for Russian map sites - looks like Russian governmental cartographic organisations still live in the Cold War... No Suursaari unless some dedicated OFP fan visits some Finnish pre-war archive and brings us the knowledge about the desired island wink.gif

(Just to explain my problems with gathering any info about Pearls of Finland, I come from Central Europe.)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Edge @ Jan. 09 2003,14:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No Suursaari unless some dedicated OFP fan visits some Finnish pre-war archive and brings us the knowledge about the desired island wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well.. I have some time tomorrow. I'll check local library and "province archives". There's about 20 books matching query for word Suursaari. For example one that sounds quite interesting: "Suursaari kuvin ja sanoin" (roughly: Suursaari by pictures and words) by Eino Havas, 1920. So let's see what material we can acquire for free...

Oh and btw. Who's going to wrestle with WrpEdit for manymany sleepless nights? tounge.gif

SmartDrv: Wrestle with WrpEdit - LOL biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif I think I can do that, it is definitely worth that work...

In case you find something good, let me know.

Just small starting tip: Focus your search on small-scale maps (1:25.000 is optimal resolution, 1:40.000 is not that accurate and 1:10.000 means too much sheets) with height contours in 5 meter vertical spacing!!! The most important part is terrain topography (contours), maps with shaded or stroked relief or topo-maps without contours are USELESS for making DEMs.

I dont know too much about pre-war Finnish map symbology so I cannot tell what type of map would be available for this piece of rock...

Good luck!

Ok, Karttakeskus hasn't been Karttakeskus since 1.4.2002, if I remember correctly, when it got together with Geodata and became Genimap.. but enough with the offtopic.

This addon packy thingy just seems better and better, the idea of a new island is great. I haven't heard about Suursaari much but did a bit googling to find out about it and it seems quite nice. Just that there's not many good maps about it is bad. I came across with only two maps, the other one is an old nautical chart where the island is just a little speck and the other one is one colour thingie with absolutely no height information...

But anyway, I hope this thing happens somehow.

I think Finnish terrain would be an absolute necessity for the addon, how the hell am I going to get the right atmosphere when I´m flying my Hornet over a desert and towns with French and Czech names? tounge.gif

Aaah, korpi...OK, so it might be ugly with WRPedit, but you just HAVE to have real terrain.

Keep up the good work, and some pics would be nice, if you´ve got ´em.

And on the WW2 "issue" - you´ve got Finns and Russians arguing over who won a war between their nations 60 years ago. I don´t think you´re going to get anywhere.

Ooh and nice new emoticon crazy.gif

Hello there, I have spent hours searching some material on Suursaari. Nothing useful... crazy.gif

I dont know too much about Finnish geography, but I suppose many people here surely know some nice island not exceeding 12.8 x 12.8 km in size, with some hills AND with the available map (see details in my last post here).

So, any ideas, any suggestions?

I dont know about the 12.8x12.8km maps, Lonewolf broke the record i guess  smile.gif

But as for the island, may i present, Hailuoto!

The map

No strategic value thou.  confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Edge @ Jan. 10 2003,08:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hello there, I have spent hours searching some material on Suursaari. Nothing useful...  crazy.gif

I dont know too much about Finnish geography, but I suppose many people here surely know some nice island not exceeding 12.8 x 12.8 km in size, with some hills AND with the available map (see details in my last post here).

So, any ideas, any suggestions?<span id='postcolor'>

I haven't visited library yet. It's so f**king cold today almost -30C. But later today...

Other islands. Kökar? Föglö? Lemland? Or some other island of Ĺland. They're located between Sweden and Finland. Belong to Finland and have been demilitarized since WWII. Go to kartta.nls.fi and register and explore southern coast of Finland.

What about Naissaar near Tallinn? Some rough overview of Naissaar. And some more information @ http://www.ee/naissaar/. "Naissaar militaarobjektina".. hehe biggrin.gif

Does it necessarily have to be an island? I was mostly thinking of mainland terrain with a coastline, lakes rivers and swamps

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wonder @ Jan. 10 2003,13:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does it necessarily have to be an island? I was mostly thinking of mainland terrain with a coastline, lakes rivers and swamps<span id='postcolor'>

AFAIK it has to be island. Try flying "out of map" and you'll see. biggrin.gif

Just came back from library, didn't find too many maps about Suursaari & co. Mostly rough drawings made by drunk pirates.. ehmm.. scientists I mean. From "province archives" I found hand drawn colored maps on all of them.

I don´t see why that island would be located between Sweden and Finland. No warzone there... except if all the of rest of Finland has already been conquered.

Some island in lake Saimaa or Laatokka (in Russia near Finlands border) would make more sense.

And ofcourse we´ll be using finnish units against russians, the swedish are of no match to us X)

An island with scenery typical for eastern parts of Finland such as Karelia would be fantastic. Maybe a few lakes and long ridges covered with trees.

LakeSaimaaEasternFinland~R75~seasons4.jpg

Maybe not this much water but you get the point smile.gif

Cam0flage: Nice! smile.gif There definitely should be less water - just enough ground to turn the BMP biggrin.gif

BTW it is really bad that OFP engine doesnt support swamps tounge.gif

Note to "strategic value": The idea does not focus on creating REAL island and pretending REAL conflict there. What I mean is to create island that will be Finnish - so why not to use real terrain, if we can?

This would be great experiment - just to try to move the real terrain, real vegetation and maybe some "Finnish" feel into the great game.

Maybe with this new 25.6 km thing someone could fit Ahvenanmaa (or most part of it) to Flashpoint. smile.gif As a place maybe not so interesting or typical Finnish nature like but it would be interesting to see it in game.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don´t see why that island would be located between Sweden and Finland. No warzone there... except if all the of rest of Finland has already been conquered.

<span id='postcolor'>

Either that or the swedes have gone sour on losing yet another hockey game with Finland wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Either that or the swedes have gone sour on losing yet another hockey game with Finland<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif They should have done it a long time ago, if we are going to base the confict on that fact biggrin.gif

*Ahem* how about any of the islands in southern finland? Around the island of Kemiö there is alot of islands and kemiö houses one of the largest military bases in finland(tough not very well known). Its there that they keep their seamines + alot of ships. And there are some pretty neatly camouflaged underground exit and entry points to the complex.

Keimö itself is too large but some of the outer islands are about good and being a local myself i bet i could get some detail maps, maybe even pictures of one of the outer islands. The campaign could have a story that some coastal jaegers and russian naval infantry both land on the same island and race to set up observation points when they spot eachother and then fighting ensues.. could be exciting if done right.. During WW2 some fighting did happen in the region, an especially fierce battle was fought over the Bengstkär lighthouse.

www.saaristo.org

a page about the archipelage, some low detail maps availiable

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Edge @ Jan. 09 2003,14:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Even if someone creates Suursaari, the result will be very different from original: I am not sure if it would be that fun to play on island covered by dense forest (about 90% of the surface)...<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, I think it would. smile.gif

Sure there should be some large open areas as well, but I would love to see some wide-spread forests. Ought to be more like mixed forest though, not just pine trees...

Take a look at cam0flage's picture. Not exactly what you would call tank terrain, is it?