Sign in to follow this  
MikkoFin

Finnish defence forces

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cam0flage @ Jan. 11 2003,12:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Some coastal artillery would be essential!<span id='postcolor'>

Definitely. A battery of 100mm, 130mm or 150mm coastal guns would give a Russian unit a very good reason to invade even a small island.

An island with three guns in fixed positions and a fire control tower... The Finnish side of the Gulf of Finland is full of batteries like that. It makes attacking the southern coast via the sea tricky, to say the least.

It would be easy to create 100mm batteries, just take the tower of T-55, add a laser range finding device and some camouflage, that's that. Was the T-55 in the demo? smile.gif

Let´s not get carried away...what if you want a mission where the guns are already destroyed, or just want an empty island? And if they´re not part of the terrain, you´ll start seeing coastal batteries in forests because the mission maker didn´t have a better cannon to use against BMDs. wink.gif

BTW the T55 wasn´t in the demo, the UH-60, M113, BMP, Shilka, Jeep, M2, UAZ and T-72 were the vehicles in the demo.

(the jeep and uaz models from the demo are now the UAZG and resistance jeep)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gollum1 @ Jan. 11 2003,19:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And a T-55 tower? Come on... tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

T-55 towers indeed.

This is in finnish, sorry...

"Raskaista tornitykeistä muodostuvaa linnakeverkkoa täydentävät kevyemmillä 100 millimetrin tornikanuunoilla varustetut linnakkeet. Aseen rungon muodostaa neuvostoliittolaisvalmisteisen T 55 -panssarivaunun torni kanuunoineen. Tykkien asennukset linnakkeille aloitettiin 1970-luvulla. Vuonna l990 käynnistyneen modernisoinnin jälkeen tykit vastaavat varustukseltaan ja ampumaominaisuuksiltaan raskaita tornikanuunoita. Suurin ampumaetäisyys on noin 15 kilometriä."

Link: http://www.mil.fi/kalustoesittely/00152.html

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gollum1 @ Jan. 11 2003,19:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And a T-55 tower? Come on... tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Actually they are used as coastal cannons in Finland

Just a note to HUGE islands a-Lone-Wolf has made: This is great idea to have BIG island, but I would prefer smaller stuff with increased DEM resolution (so not 50 meters per cel, but 25 m as on Nogova) - but I guess this would be able only with Visitor. The problem with big DEMs is that nobody would be able to play such island with lots of objects (and I dont need to say that Finnish island means LOTS OF TREES). For current hardware, the 12.8x12.8 km square is optimal size.

...it seems SmartDrv will be able to get some serious map of Suursaari, so I keep focused on this wink.gif

I have created first WRP of Suursaari. Big thanks to P.J.K.[FDF] and SmartDrv[Kyllikki]. smile.gif

Great! Now spend the sleepless nights and fill it with objects smile.gif Are you planning to add a landing strip? The lack of such makes Kolgujev a dull island, hope you guys are smarter smile.gif

When I saw the island in the 3D first, I started to think about rather smaller airstrip, more field airfield than something regular. Since I play Sturmovik a lot, I am gonna make custom texture of some tarmac or grass to land on smile.gif I am not going to add the HUGE Everon-like airfield wink.gif

You have to count the sleepless nights of research on this forgotten piece of rock too wink.gif

BTW two pics to be found here:

My Webpage

Keep up the good work!

Just don´t forget to drink, eat and sleep while undertaking this great task, we don´t want to lose you wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Edge @ Jan. 15 2003,11:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When I saw the island in the 3D first, I started to think about rather smaller airstrip, more field airfield than something regular. Since I play Sturmovik a lot, I am gonna make custom texture of some tarmac or grass to land on smile.gif I am not going to add the HUGE Everon-like airfield wink.gif

You have to count the sleepless nights of research on this forgotten piece of rock too wink.gif

BTW two pics to be found here:

My Webpage<span id='postcolor'>

I was thinking about one military/civilian airfield about 1km runway with ILS, civilian airport on the other side of the runway and military airbase on the other, and one Highway strip on the other end of the island about, just about long enough for a HAWK to take off and a parking tarmac big enough for 2 fighters on each end of the runway on the opposite sides. (ok i admit i want these things mainly because i served in the air force tounge.gif )

Great that new island is coming together smile.gif Suursaari has always been my favourite island of choice since it's strategic location in the middle of Gulf of Finland. In ww2 it changed many times between Russians and Finland. After peace with USSR and Finland Hitler ordered Suursaari to be captured by German troops, but Finnish defenders and Soviet aircraft defeated the invasion.

Very good indeed...

Maybe there's room for some sort of airstrip at southern tip of Suursaari. Just watch out for that Pakarakallio (for Finnish readers biggrin.gif) when landing.

kiitorata.jpg

BUT... It's up to Edge does he want to keep Suursaari realistic without air strip or not so realistic with one.

An airstrip would add a great deal of playability. Were there any big harbors on Suursaari? Some kind of military harbor would be good, haven't seen any of those in user made OFP islands yet.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cam0flage @ Jan. 15 2003,23:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">An airstrip would add a great deal of playability. Were there any big harbors on Suursaari? Some kind of military harbor would be good, haven't seen any of those in user made OFP islands yet.<span id='postcolor'>

You're right about that airstrip.

Big harbors in Suursaari... Well there are/were two villages Suurkylä and Kiiskinkylä. Both have harbor. Sadly those harbors aren't too huge sad.gif

suurkyla.jpg

kiiskinkyla.jpg

Nice hide-outs for U-boats.. but douh.. this isn't WWII submarine sim?  tounge.gif

Very nice map indeed. I'd also suggest adding those small off-coast island surrounding Suursaari and add some vegetation on them too. I really like those tiny islands on the south coast of Nogova.

It's real-life location, but in terms of playability/fiction liberties can be taken like adding airstrip etc. This will be a near-future conflict and if this Suursaari project will materialize in the near future a campaign will most likely be placed there. But there is some units to be done...

Are you guys making custom buildings for the Suursaari?

and maybe even custom land textures, i know its a big job but this is just a suggestion wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blake @ Jan. 16 2003,03:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Very nice map indeed. I'd also suggest adding those small off-coast island surrounding Suursaari and add some vegetation on them too. I really like those tiny islands on the south coast of Nogova.

It's real-life location, but in terms of playability/fiction liberties can be taken like adding airstrip etc. This will be a near-future conflict and if this Suursaari project will materialize in the near future a campaign will most likely be placed there. But there is some units to be done...<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's real-life location, but in terms of playability/fiction liberties can be taken like adding airstrip etc. This will be a near-future conflict and if this Suursaari project will materialize in the near future a campaign will most likely be placed there. But there is some units to be done...<span id='postcolor'>

Good point, which brings me to similar issue. I would also prefer to create island that will fit into the game, but I am very attracted to keep some remarkable points and buildings of RL Suursaari. I was thinking about few concepts, but let me mention two main schemes:

1) Suursaari as Finnish territory (never passed to Russia, landscape development continued) - comparable to Nogova.

2) Suursaari as it probably looks now - Russian territory, more meteo observation point with some military importance than place to live in. Just something like "Kolgujev". But I cant imagine FDF invading Russian territory...

I would like some real buildings to be present on the island. I am no modeller, so I have to ask someone to make it... The same for vegetation - it would be great if someone would create something like square of young birch forest (they are surely present on Suursaari), dried curved pieces of dead trees on some piece of rock and some neat details tha will make the island look really "Baltic".

BTW wherever the grid size will allow it, some coastal rocks and islands will be added. The problem is that the cell size of DEM is too rough to show 3 10-meters-long pieces of rock in one 50x50 m square.

Textures - I will probably use those available from Resistance (512 x 512 px), but I will have to create my own too (e.g. for the airstrip)

Wonder: The island is only 11 km long - if I add all the airfields you have mentioned, there would remain no place for fighting wink.gif

One airstrip will probably do, and IMHO it should be kept as short as possible (so that Kegetys's Hawk could barely take off and land to it). In that way, landing a jet on to the runway would require more expertise and precision => if you go long, waveoff. crazy.gif

Getting carried away now but another great island here:

lavansaari.jpg

Land area 7km x 7km, the Suissaari peninsular connected via 300m wide sand bank. More sand than on basically rocky Suursaari.

Likewise ceded to Soviet  Union in 1944. In the Czar era the Island contained 8 coastar batteries but local White Guard militia captured them in the beginning of Civil War in 1918. They were later disbanded after peace was made with Bolsevik Russia.

It would be great if Mr.Smartdrv could obtain a more detailed map of Lavansaari.

Blah! Looks like i'll have to do an island of my own if i want those airstrips tounge.gif The problem is, i've neved made anything using the WRPedit

I love the work people are putting on these new islands, but I'd also like to hear from the mod team smile.gif Has there been any progress lately? What's up with the F/A-18C? Anything else?

Here's some pictures of Suursaari for him/her/those who are about to make it. If you are planning to make some custom maps for this mod, I think this island is a fine one for it's decent location. There seems to be also two bigger villages, Suurkylä and kiiskinkylä. It's bit big island though.

Suursaari.gifSuursaari2.jpgsuursaari.gif

Nice maps. I've never realized before how close to Leningrad/St. Petersburg these islands actually are.